Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Fabio Borini (Liverpool > Sunderland)

Read 192667 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Fabio Borini (Liverpool > Sunderland)
      Jul 13, 2012 07:30:25 pm
      Borini completes LFC transfer
      Liverpool have today confirmed they have completed the signing of AS Roma forward Fabio Borini.

The Italy international has put pen to paper on a long-term deal with the Reds after agreeing terms and passing a medical at Melwood.

In joining the club, Borini becomes Brendan Rodgers' first signing as Liverpool manager.

The 21-year-old has worked with the Reds' new boss before during a loan spell at Swansea City in 2011, while he has also represented Chelsea.

Last season he scored 10 goals in 26 appearances for Roma and earned his international debut in a friendly against USA. He was then a part of Italy's Euro 2012 squad.

Official website

Welcome to LFC, Fabio!
      « Last Edit: Aug 31, 2015 07:56:37 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Re: Fabio Borini Player Thread
      Reply #1: Jul 13, 2012 07:31:08 pm
      Welcome!  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #2: Jul 13, 2012 07:31:38 pm
      Exciting!

Welcome our new Fabio. Look forward to seeing him score goals for a long time.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #3: Jul 13, 2012 07:32:40 pm
      Welcome to LFC, Fabio.  :gt-happyup:
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #4: Jul 13, 2012 07:33:32 pm
      Borini: The first interview

Moments after becoming Brendan Rodgers' first signing for the Reds, Fabio Borini gave his one and only exclusive interview to Liverpoolfc.com. Here's what he had to say...

Fabio, we're in a car on the way back to Melwood after you completed your medical and the formalities of the deal. How does it feel to be a Liverpool player?

It feels really good - and to be back in England as well. It's a top club that has won a lot of trophies in the past - and will do so in the future we hope as well. I've got the trust of the manager and the club, which for me is very nice and I'm proud to be here.

How did you feel when you heard Liverpool were interested in you?

I felt really good because I wanted to come back to England one day. I knew sooner or later I would be back. Being back with Liverpool is even better because I can show the people what I can do. We've got the Europa League and lots of things to play for.

This will be the third time you've worked with Brendan Rodgers. How important was the boss in bringing you here?

He was very important. I wouldn't say it was the key, but most of it came from him. Even during last season, I spoke with him a lot. I'd text him and ask if he was okay and congratulated him on the results he got with Swansea. First of all it is a relationship of friendship and afterwards it is a working one. That is more important than anything.

What is Brendan like to play for?

I used to play 4-3-3 with him and he is very good to play football for. It is great to play football for him because you can have fun and you can get results. I could see at Swansea the people loved him because the football was attractive. People like to see football (played) like this.

What can we expect to see from the Liverpool players next season under Brendan?

They will certainly see football players that want to win, and that will always work for the team rather than themselves. Liverpool wants to get results and that's what we'll try to do.

What sort of player would you describe yourself as?

I'd describe myself as a player that never gives up and I run a lot. I had difficult times at Chelsea when I was younger because I came from Italy. It was very difficult, I tried to be strong for myself and demonstrate to people I could do it. That is an achievement I have made and why I am here.

You've just come back from being with the Italy squad at the European Championships. Has that experience helped you develop as a player?

Of course. It was a big experience for me. I'm only 21 years old, so it was a good experience even if I didn't play. Getting to the final was even more experience because it's not something that happens every day. It will be great to bring it (experience) with me.

I believe you have a special goal celebration Liverpool fans will want to see this season. Can you tell us a bit about it?

My celebration is a knife between the teeth. In Italy it means a warrior or someone who never gives up and will always get up if they fall down.  At Swansea and Roma the fans liked it, so I hope to show it to Liverpool fans as well.

As a forward, how much are you looking forward to playing with Luis Suarez this season?

A lot because he is maybe another player who is similar to me because he works very hard in every game. I've watched a few games, and all of Europe wants him. Every player wants to play with him, so it will be a pleasure.

In coming to Liverpool, you're joining one of the biggest clubs in Europe. Are you aware of the club's history?

Yes, I am aware of it. I remember the Champions League final against AC Milan. It is very important to have this important past because you can bring it to the future and try to remake the past.

You've already played at Anfield once before in an FA Youth Cup tie in February 2009 - what do you remember about that night?

(Laughs) I remember we lost! We had a good team at Chelsea in the FA Youth Cup, but we lost. But the impression it left on me was very good because of the stadium's history. It's a dream for everyone to play at Anfield, so it was a very nice experience.

So are you excited about playing at Anfield every other week now this season?

Yes, every other week in a full stadium. It will be amazing. I know the fans are very warm and they're here for football.

What do you hope to achieve during your time at Liverpool?

I hope to achieve the maximum I can, by scoring goals, getting into the Champions League and all of the things the club also wants - and all the other players.

Finally, do you have a message for Liverpool fans?

There's not especially one, but I think with Brendan they will see good football!
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #5: Jul 13, 2012 07:36:43 pm
      Going to wear #29. Not #6.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #6: Jul 13, 2012 07:37:32 pm
      Welcome to Liverpool Football Club!
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 981 posts | 14 
      Reply #7: Jul 13, 2012 07:38:03 pm
      Welcome, knife boy.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #8: Jul 13, 2012 07:38:20 pm
      Just like our manager, he says everything right.

Excited for this signing, hope he does well for himself and for the club.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #9: Jul 13, 2012 07:40:57 pm
      Welcome - hopefully first of a few more to come. Is this the really exciting signing Rodgers alluded too ?
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #10: Jul 13, 2012 07:41:33 pm
      Welcome our new number 29. Best of luck.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #11: Jul 13, 2012 07:41:58 pm
      Does he count as a homegrown player?
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #12: Jul 13, 2012 07:42:08 pm
      Well I'm excited. Aren't you?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #13: Jul 13, 2012 07:44:20 pm
      Welcome - hopefully first of a few more to come. Is this the really exciting signing Rodgers alluded too ?

Gun to my head I say no, while exciting...I wouldn't say I'm beside myself. That's what I took his comment to mean but hard to tell what his implication was.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #14: Jul 13, 2012 07:44:37 pm

Not really - he is an unproven youngster. So its good that we have improved an area that needed improving but its not massively exciting signing.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #15: Jul 13, 2012 07:51:36 pm
      I've read elsewhere that yes, he does. Can someone confirm that?

WELCOME FABIO!!!!!!!  :aaliverpool2xt1:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #16: Jul 13, 2012 07:51:51 pm
      I think this is the "exciting" signing the boss was talking about.

Rodgers: Fans will love him
      13th Jul 2012 - Latest News

Brendan Rodgers revealed his delight at securing Fabio Borini as his first signing as Liverpool manager and predicted: 'The supporters are going to love him.'

The Italy international put pen to paper on a long-term deal with the Reds today - and the boss is thrilled to have got his man.

Rodgers told Liverpoolfc.com: "I was very keen to bring him here. Fabio fits the model of what we're trying to do in building not only for now, but also for the future.

"He's a big talent, 21 years of age, he scores goals, and his passion, focus and concentration is a very important part of his game - and a big part of what you want from a player."

Borini's transfer to Anfield means he links up with Rodgers for a third time.

The pair first worked together in Chelsea youth set-up, before the manager took him on loan to Swansea City in 2011.

Rodgers added: "Yes, I've known him since he had just turned 16 years of age. We (Chelsea) took him in from Bologna when he was 16 and he progressed incredibly well as a young player to go on to play for the first team at Chelsea.

"It didn't work out in terms of he couldn't agree a contract, but before he left I took him on loan to Swansea and he made a big, big impression there and really helped us in our promotion charge that season.

"He left and went away (to Roma) and in the last season he's done incredibly well.

"I think the supporters will love him. As I said, he's a goalscorer, but he's a multifunctional player who can play in a number of positions - and someone I believe has got great growth.

"He's one of the few young players in the full Italian squad. I'd anticipate that over the next two or three years he'll really progress and I'm sure do very well for Liverpool."

Borini made four first-team appearances for Chelsea, before firing six goals in 12 appearances at Swansea.

Rodgers believes the previous experience of English football will stand the 21-year-old in good stead for the challenges that await him at Anfield.

"I think the adaptation will be much easier," he said. "I believe he'll feel as though he's coming home because his formative years as a young player were here in Britain and the game in this country suits him.

"He's technically strong, he's a good finisher with both feet, he can play central or on the sides in a 4-3-3 up front, he's quick, and he's tactically very good.

"He is arguably the best physical player I've worked with in terms of his pace, power and fitness. Mentally, he's very strong. We've got a player who is on the up and someone who I think Liverpool will benefit from."

Despite his tender age, Borini already has international honours with Italy and was part of their squad for the European Championships.

But while Rodgers feels the forward has the talent to make an instant impact, he believes the Reds will also reap the long-term benefits of their new No.29.

"I don't want to put any unnecessary pressure on him," he said." I believe he's one who can impact now - and he still has a lot of learning, growth and a lot to achieve in the game.

"This is a great environment for him to come into. It's a coaching environment, and it's a club which is historic.

"To leave a club like Roma having done very, very well for them and having just completed a transfer shows the pull we have as a football club.

"Roma is one of the world's big clubs - certainly in Italy it is - so for him to leave there having done very well, and for Roma to fight to get him in, just shows the incredible pull Liverpool Football Club has."
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #17: Jul 13, 2012 07:51:59 pm
      benvenuto Fabio, hopefully we'll be seeing plenty of that knife
      Nox
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 351 posts | 21 
      Reply #18: Jul 13, 2012 07:53:09 pm
      Welcome to LFC
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #19: Jul 13, 2012 07:54:12 pm
      Not really - he is an unproven youngster. So its good that we have improved an area that needed improving but its not massively exciting signing.

Is there anyone that would excite you?  :f_whistle:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #20: Jul 13, 2012 07:55:13 pm
      Is there anyone that would excite you?  :f_whistle:

Princess Leia  :f_tongueincheek:
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #21: Jul 13, 2012 07:56:28 pm

Good question, the ruling is 3 years in country under 21 isnt it? He was at Chelsea from 2009-11 so its touch and go.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #22: Jul 13, 2012 07:59:50 pm
      10 facts about Fabio Borini

13th Jul 2012 - Latest News

Fabio Borini became Brendan Rodgers' first signing as Liverpool manager today – but how much do you know about the Italy international? Here are 10 interesting facts...

1. Fabio Borini was born on March 29, 1991 in the small town of Bentivoglio in Bologna, Italy. He started out at his hometown team before moving to Jose Mourinho's Chelsea in 2007, aged 16.

2. Borini's Premier League debut for Chelsea came as an 89th minute substitute against Tottenham in September 2009. In total, he made four top-flight appearances for the Blues. He was also a member of Chelsea's Champions League squad in 2009-10, figuring as a substitute against APOEL FC.

3. This will be the third time he's played for Brendan Rodgers. He first worked with the boss at Chelsea in the reserve team before Rodgers took him on loan to Swansea City in 2010-11 to bolster the Swans' Premier League promotion push. His faith in the Italian was rewarded with six goals in 12 appearances.

4. Fabio made an instant impact on his Swansea debut, scoring twice against Nottingham Forest in spectacular fashion. Afterwards, Rodgers commented: "There's great joy as a manager in seeing a player who you first saw as a boy producing the performance of a man."

5. After his loan period was up at the Liberty Stadium, Borini left Chelsea and signed for Parma before being loaned to AS Roma before the start of the 2011-12 season.  It was here he really began to flourish, scoring nine league goals in 20 starts at the Stadio Olimpico.

6. Borini has his own trademark goal celebration - but it's a bit unusual. After finding the back of the net, the forward will thrust his right hand between his teeth. He explains: "In Italy it means you've got the knife between your teeth - it's when you want to achieve something so badly that you are angry to reach your goals."

7. Indeed, Borini was much loved by the Swansea fans for his ecstatic celebrations. The man himself admits it's a trait he's learnt from his idol, Italy legend Filippo Inzaghi. "I like Inzaghi. I like the way he celebrates a goal even if his team are winning 6-0. And look at what he has won - the World Cup, two Champions Leagues and many league titles in Italy. Even if you have half his career, you will have had a great career. I have watched Inzaghi a lot and I have got something from him."

8. It's fair to say our new boy aims high. He once said: "I always set a goal target. I try to score a goal in each game I play. Sometimes it's not possible, but that is always my aim."

9. Fabio already has experience of playing at Anfield. He started for Chelsea U18s in an FA Youth Cup clash in front of the Kop in February 2009, though he left disappointed as a David Amoo goal secured a 1-0 win for Liverpool.

10. Borini made his international debut for Italy against the USA in February. He was named in Italy's squad for Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine, though the youngster didn't make an appearance. He also captained Italy U19s during the 2010 European Championships.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/10-facts-about-fabio-borini

Quick Reply