Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Fabio Borini (Liverpool > Sunderland)

Read 192669 times
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Re: Fabio Borini (Liverpool > Sunderland)
      Reply #2070: Sep 07, 2015 07:58:14 am
      it's actually quite serious.  We have limited resources at our club.  When signings don't come off we can't just have the owners write us a blank cheque like they can at City or Chelsea.  So we have to be incredibly careful with who we bring in because we can't afford for it not to work.

Over the last 5 years we have spent a whopping £340 Million on players (to our Net Spend Fans this is £160 - remove Sterling and Suarez from this and its more like £40 Net over £320 Spend). This is the 4th highest in the Premiership - removing the Van Gaal spending spree and we are 3rd only behind City an Chelsea.  The reality is that we can afford to spend and our owners have invested in the first team more than almost every other team in the league.

You can lambast the owners, or call me a 'stooge' but this is the reality of the situation - we have a decent transfer spend each season and pay the money to get in good players.

Where we fail is by;

Trying to sign players on potential, loaning them out for a few years having never played for us and then selling them on
      Signing players who are not good enough for us

Borini falls into the latter, however - pre signing for us he was an international player who the manager worked with at 2 clubs before he came here. His record at youth level was impressive and he played for Swansea guiding them to the Premership under Rodgers...

You have to trust the managers judgement on this. It was his first signing - so when he wanted him the boards hands were tied really... 

Well done for not backing a player from day 1 (something I would not be proud of) but pointing it out to everyone gets you what exactly? It wont change the transfer policy of the club...
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #2071: Sep 07, 2015 08:31:02 am
      Surely you can express your opinion with always lambasting everyone in the process? You're angry, we get that. Does that mean you've got to constantly belittle and disregard?

He's a F***ing idiot who thinks arrogantly that the lesser mortals of this forum are having his bullshit all day.
      Would be embarrassed for him if he were not such a tool.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2072: Sep 07, 2015 08:46:22 am
      You have to trust the managers judgement on this. It was his first signing - so when he wanted him the boards hands were tied really...

No.  no no no no no no no.  This is exactly what we have to STOP doing.  His judgment CANNOT be trusted.  He came to our club with a small club mentality.  He wanted to sign Borini, Allen, Dempsey and Sigurdsson the first summer he was here.  Thank f**k we were prevented from signing the latter two by other clubs who did us a huge favour.  I mean just think that one over for a while.  You arrive at a club with one of the best players in the world in Luis Suarez, and your first thought is "I know, I'll play him with Borini and Dempsey." 

His judgement is absolute rubbish when it comes to players.  If you want to "back" who he wants then we would be in an even worse position than we are now.

Even FSG know he's awful with talent, hence why they've put so many restrictions on how we go about getting players.  The only surefire successes of his transfer signings are Coutinho and Sturridge.  And if you really wanted to be harsh you could say just Coutinho, as Sturridge might never be able to be relied upon again consistently.

And this is the person whose judgement you want to back in the transfer market??  if he is going to stay here longterm he needs to be demoted to simply being the head coach, let other people bring in players. 

If it were up to Rodgers we would have a starting lineup that had Vorm, Ashley Williams, Lovren, Joe Allen, Lallana, Dempsey, Sigurdsson and Borini as its spine.

And you say "trust him."  Why?  what exactly has he done to earn that trust?  it's not like we all got a collective vote on his being hired or something.  FSG arbitrarily chose him as manager.  But who said we should trust FSG?  the owners who we shouldn't trust decide to hire a manager who has never won anything in his life, who couldn't even cut it at f**king Reading, and by virtue of the fact that he signs his name on a piece of paper suddenly he is deserving of trust and spending massive amounts of our limited financial resources on players because "he likes them."

ok then.  That sounds like a great plan.

Then finally we get Klopp or Ancelotti or some other real manager and we have to tell him "sorry, but we don't have any more money because we gave it all to Rodgers and just assumed he would spend it wisely.  Unfortunately he didn't and now we can't go get the real top players that you need."

THAT is the consequence of it.  Digging ourselves deeper and deeper into mediocrity and handcuffing the spending potential of a manager who SHOULD be trusted, whenever the hell the fraud Rodgers finally gets the boot.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #2073: Sep 07, 2015 10:38:10 am

*** Only quoted this part otherwise it would be a quote fest in here***

I agree with many of your points Fed - however we cannot piss and moan about the transfers made by the manager and say he shouldn't be trusted whilst also lambasting the NESV model of having a 'committee' in place...

If the board don't trust him then they should sack him - simples.

Replacing him with Klopp - who today started making noise about his next club - will be very expensive. The owners know that, any new manager will demand a bit of money. No ma manager will come in under the terms of 'the last manager spent all our money, please help us!'...

On Borini, yes in hindsight a player who never made it - but it was an £11 Million gamble that didn't pay off. In his time here he has never bad mouthed the club, fans, players or manager. He wanted to stay and prove he was good enough to play for us. Given who he was playing with I think he should have been banging them in - our team at that time was much better than it is now!

For me he will go down as a decent player who didn't make it - no hard feelings and fair play to the lad.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2074: Sep 08, 2015 04:13:42 pm
      Borini scored 10 goals in all competitions for Roma the season before we signed him. Plus, we signed him for £10.5m which for a striker is hardly expensive.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #2075: Jun 29, 2017 03:54:01 pm
      Looks like he is joining AC Milan, best of luck to him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2076: Jun 29, 2017 05:54:07 pm
      Looks like he is joining AC Milan, best of luck to him.

How?! Seriously, have Milan watched him at all? He was poor for us and even worse for Sunderland.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      Reply #2077: Jun 29, 2017 05:58:20 pm
      How?! Seriously, have Milan watched him at all? He was poor for us and even worse for Sunderland.
      No one really knows, it looks like a panic buy,but it does not make any sense. Anyway,i dont think it could get any better for him.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2078: Jun 29, 2017 06:42:54 pm

Perhaps but even I feel Borini was better than the sh*t cake of a Sunderland side he was playing in. Christ, I don't think I've ever disliked a relegated team more. Ragged sh*t stained, bug infested sack of a team filled to the brim with Man Utd and Everton rejects like Wes Brown, John O'Shea, Jack Rodwell, Steven Pienaar. Also home to talentless french fried haired minge bag thugs like N'Dong (the c**t who went straight through Coutinho and ruled him out for two months). With a lineup like that Borini looks world class in comparison. And then they gave us ultimate insult but the one that served them their well over due Premier League death rites - getting managed by "The Chosen One". Thank f**k they've fu**ed off! With any luck maybe they can f**k off from the Championship and into League 1!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2079: Jun 29, 2017 08:45:45 pm
      Perhaps but even I feel Borini was better than the sh*t cake of a Sunderland side he was playing in.
      He really isn't. 6 teams, 82 apps 16 goals at 26 years old? He is meant to be a Striker. This whole problem is he is a championship quality player that keeps ending up at PL sides.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      Reply #2080: Jun 29, 2017 09:18:44 pm
      He really isn't. 6 teams, 82 apps 16 goals at 26 years old? He is meant to be a Striker. This whole problem is he is a championship quality player that keeps ending up at PL sides.
      His agent must be a magician. :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2081: Jun 29, 2017 10:04:04 pm

And still better than sh*t cake Sunderland.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1191 
      Reply #2082: Jun 29, 2017 10:53:01 pm
      Surprised a club of Milan's stature have gone for him, although perhaps the fact that they've gone from having players like Kaka, Inzaghi, Schevchenko and Crespo in their line up and are now on the verge of signing Fabio Borini goes some way to explaining their disappearance from Europe's top table.

Still, as others have said, I think he is a lot better than some of the other players tainted by Gollum's colossally sh*t management (and take this as an opportunity to recall just how tits up it has all gone for the Chosen One, who henceforth will be regarded as a complete and utter disaster of Roy Hodgson proportions by the supporters of his last three clubs).
      « Last Edit: Jun 29, 2017 10:57:25 pm by -LFC- »
      birchesheadred
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #2083: Jun 29, 2017 10:53:32 pm
      He's cost clubs a lot of money over the years, and returned very little.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2084: Jun 29, 2017 11:06:46 pm
      Surprised a club of Milan's stature have gone for him, although perhaps the fact that they've gone from having players like Kaka, Inzaghi, Schevchenko and Crespo in their line up and are now on the verge of signing Fabio Borini goes some way to explaining their disappearance from Europe's top table.

Still, as others have said, I think he is a lot better than some of the other players tainted by Gollum's colossally sh*t management (and take this as an opportunity to recall just how tits up it has all gone for the Chosen One, who henceforth will be regarded as a complete and utter disaster of Roy Hodgson proportions by the supporters of his last three clubs).

What a team they were. Makes our European Cup victory in 2005 even more sweeter. Those names you mentioned plus Maldini, Pirlo, Gattuso, Cafu - it felt like taking on an Empire and winning. To me, they were the last great European side to have a bit of mystique about them.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2085: Jun 29, 2017 11:12:07 pm
      What a team they were. Makes our European Cup victory in 2005 even more sweeter. Those names you mentioned plus Maldini, Pirlo, Gattuso, Cafu - it felt like taking on an Empire and winning. To me, they were the last great European side to have a bit of mystique about them.

That team was top class from start to finish. I still remember the whole lineup from the top of my head: Dida, Cafu, Nesta, Stam, Maldini, Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf, Kaká, Shevchenko, Crespo... with the likes of Serginho and Rui Costa on the bench. Incredible.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2086: Jun 29, 2017 11:21:14 pm
      That team was top class from start to finish. I still remember the whole lineup from the top of my head: Dida, Cafu, Nesta, Stam, Maldini, Pirlo, Gattuso, Seedorf, Kaká, Shevchenko, Crespo... with the likes of Serginho and Rui Costa on the bench. Incredible.

And they still had the wise old genius that was Costacurta in the ranks albeit winding his career down by that point. 
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1191 
      Reply #2087: Jun 29, 2017 11:24:12 pm

A team of legends, front to back. I had even forgot about Rui Costa! He was to Milan what Nedved was to Juve. Awesome talents.

I actually find it a little sad to see a club with such a rich history fall so far behind. They should be competing for the league and CL every year.

Quick Reply