Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

3rd midfield man!

Read 3167 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Re: 3rd midfield man!
      Reply #23: Jul 24, 2012 10:15:49 pm
      Suso has 1 year left on his contract. And I'm sure his involvement with our first team, or the lack there of will influence his decion regarding signing an extension. Send him on loan, and don't be surprised if he's off for free to another club next summer.

But besides that I just think he's good enough to get minutes for us. If we want young players to develop then we need to give them gametime to develop in our first team. Sending players out on loan should be a last resort.
      I agree sending kids on loan does nothing for me.They are either good enough or they aren't but they have to get game time to find out.
      Shelvey went to Blackpool and did very well but thats one division down playing for a modist club how could that be good preparation for playing for Liverpool
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #24: Jul 25, 2012 02:20:05 am
      For me Lucas Gerrard and Adam.  I would like to see Adam play a few games in a three man midfield which is his best formation.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #25: Jul 25, 2012 03:23:57 am
      Gerrard, Lucas and Shelvey.

No doubt in my mind this would be the most productive in attack and strong in defence.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #26: Jul 25, 2012 07:19:39 am
      Its crazy that we have quite a bit of talent for a midfield 3 set up but we were shocking last season for a number of reasons. Would love to see Suso involved as much as Shelvey was last season. If we play our cards right and keep a hold of all our talented youngsters the future will look very bright :)

I wouldn't be surprised to see maybe 1 person go this summer but I don't think Rodgers is under any pressure to sell so we might see all our players having a crack this season which is what we need; strength in depth!

Out of all our players to let go I'd pick Adam though and keep everyone else if we sign Allen

Gerrard, Lucas and Aquilani for me to start: first team for a few years in FIFA that will have a rating of 82 and up
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #27: Jul 25, 2012 07:31:00 am
      Gerrard Lucas, Aquilani or Shelvey.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #28: Jul 25, 2012 07:43:07 am
      There's a question I'm asking myself, can someone answer please? Can Allen play at DM well? I doubt he's better than Lucas but can he play as DM or is he a box-to-box or AM.

Personally: I'd like
      Aquilani    Gerrard
                Lucas

Adam, Henderson, Shelvey and a new DM as cover. I don't rate Spearing since he cannot boss a midfield at all. He gets dominated easily unless Lucas covers him. If we were to sign a more creative CM, I think we'll sell Adam although I'd give Adam a chance to prove himself until January personally.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #29: Jul 25, 2012 08:26:48 am
      There's a question I'm asking myself, can someone answer please? Can Allen play at DM well? I doubt he's better than Lucas but can he play as DM or is he a box-to-box or AM.

Given the way Rodgers intends to play this season (and you could see it already from just the one pre-season game) I think the role of defensive mid will change dramatically. It will be much less about being a ball winner and more about playing as a fulcrum and tempo setter more akin to the way Alonso played the role. Lucas I think will be asked to play inmush the same way he for Brazil in this system. Given that we WILL enjoy the lions share of possession against most sides (if Rodgers can do it with Swansea he bloody well can at LFC!) I think we will have far better options as cover for Lucas. Stevie can do it, Spearing too (albeit in a more limited fashion) and I'd suspect young Joe Allen (if he comes in) would also be up to the role although I see him as more an attacking player.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #30: Jul 25, 2012 08:45:49 am
      Gerrard, Lucas and Shelvey.

No doubt in my mind this would be the most productive in attack and strong in defence.

That's my thinking as well.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #31: Jul 25, 2012 08:46:30 am
      At the risk of accusations of heresy are we a) convinced that Stevie is still up to the rigours of a full season? Is there a possibility that he will be used like Fergie did with Scholes/Giggs ie only in the big important games?
      Or b) is it possible he could be used as part of the front 3?
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #32: Jul 25, 2012 08:51:23 am
      At the risk of accusations of heresy are we a) convinced that Stevie is still up to the rigours of a full season? Is there a possibility that he will be used like Fergie did with Scholes/Giggs ie only in the big important games?
      Or b) is it possible he could be used as part of the front 3?

Good points. My opinions:

No, he will not be able to play all game, every game. I think we have to accept that now.

I do think he'll feature quite a lot though and isn't as close to the knackers yard as Ginger Bollocks or Grim.

Rafa suggested that moving Gerrard up top may be the best option towards the end of his career but so far, no manager has shown any desire to do that. I personally think Gerrard would be lethal up there, linking up with Suarez and we're not short of players to fill in in midfield, I just have a gut feeling that he'll continue in midfield.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #33: Jul 25, 2012 09:09:48 am
                   Lucas

Shelvey

Gerrard

Suarez          Borini           ???
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #34: Jul 25, 2012 09:26:01 am
      Lucas

Shelvey

Gerrard

Suarez          Borini

Lucas
        Henderson               Shelvey

Gerrard
      Suarez                           Borini

?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #35: Jul 25, 2012 09:36:44 am
      Didn't think of that. Does look tasty.
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #36: Jul 25, 2012 09:45:14 am
      for the 4-3-3 system i think you would need a bit of pace and fitness to achieve what BR wants to achieve. Lucas, Henderson and Aquilani would be my best bet with Stevie playing as part of the front 3 or switching Stevie with Aquilani but it has to be Lucas Henderson in the middle
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #37: Jul 25, 2012 09:57:06 am
      for the 4-3-3 system i think you would need a bit of pace and fitness to achieve what BR wants to achieve...

...Aquilani would be my best bet

:laugh:

Quick Reply