Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Olympics: Rowing

Read 9656 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Olympics: Rowing
      Reply #23: Aug 02, 2012 03:16:42 pm
      Beijing was a huge over-performance though.  Just like us winning the Champions League in 2005.

We should remember that there are over 1 billion people in China.  They have a population pool 50x greater than the UK.  The fact they only have 3x as many medals suggests we are doing a great job - similarly with the USA who have 5x as many people.

I don't understand how anyone can be disappointed with our tally - personally I think Team GB is doing very well.

I don't know if you can go as far to comparing it to our Champions League Final in 2005. With Beijing we saw many Brits in their disciplines come to the fore and right into their prime. I think this year might be a lot more youthful than Beijing but for me the money that has been spent and will continue to be spent will really show in Rio I think. What's more important than the medal haul is the effect London 2012 can have on British sport in the future - yes the legacy! It's not a load of political claptrap in inspiring the IOC to give London the games. The legacy can have mammoth effects. The Commonwealth Games that were staged in Manchester 10 years ago have developed an incredible legacy most notably in cycling. The journey in British cycling started when the National Cycling Centre in Manchester was built in 1994. However the Commonwealth Games really accelerated the drive within British cycling having had an Olympic standard track to hone talent. Also budding cyclists who want to go all the way in the sport must be based in Manchester otherwise they do not get the funding they need.   Now they've got world class velodrome's in London and soon in Glasgow (for the 2014 Commonwealth Games). I don't know what British Cycling intend to do with these two velodromes in their project but it certainly gives them even greater options.

Let's remember away from dire footballing exploits on the world stage and the lack of a Grand Slam winner in tennis for 70 odd years, Britain is a brilliant sporting nation particularly since the introduction of the national lottery money in 1996 (remember we won only one gold medal that year!) this has really allowed British sport to really allow our talent to compete on the world stage.

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #24: Aug 02, 2012 04:52:28 pm
      Great stuff by GB on the rowing. Pipped to the gold by SA...

We're beating our Beijing haul already, on a day-by-day basis.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #25: Aug 02, 2012 05:38:10 pm
      Great stuff by GB on the rowing. Pipped to the gold by SA...

We're beating our Beijing haul already, on a day-by-day basis.

SA put on an incredible charge to win that one.  Well in to our lads on their silver medals!  They just took Denmark on the line.  That was a very exciting race!

All three GB teams got through their semi finals successfully earlier on.

I bet the medal haul comparison graphic will have spiked in 2012's favour after today!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #26: Aug 02, 2012 05:41:03 pm
      SA put on an incredible charge to win that one.  Well in to our lads on their silver medals!  They just took Denmark on the line.  That was a very exciting race!

All three GB teams got through their semi finals successfully earlier on.

I bet the medal haul comparison graphic will have spiked in 2012's favour after today!

We've got Katherine Grainger tomorrow in the double sculls final with Anna Watkins  ;)
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #27: Aug 02, 2012 10:03:08 pm
      Beijing was a huge over-performance though.  Just like us winning the Champions League in 2005.

We should remember that there are over 1 billion people in China.  They have a population pool 50x greater than the UK.  The fact they only have 3x as many medals suggests we are doing a great job - similarly with the USA who have 5x as many people.

I don't understand how anyone can be disappointed with our tally - personally I think Team GB is doing very well.

I agree with all these points, especially that we are doing well. Before today I didn't think that the GB team could match what they achieved in Beijing but after today I think and hope we can. There are surely more medals to come in rowing, sailing, athletics, maybe boxing and triathlon as well as others.

Come on Team GB!  :clap:
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #28: Aug 02, 2012 10:04:52 pm
      We've got Katherine Grainger tomorrow in the double sculls final with Anna Watkins  ;)

I really hope they do it. Kath Grainger deserves a gold and I think they've got a great chance.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #29: Aug 02, 2012 10:14:56 pm

Yep things have picked up nicely the last few days, I personally see France and Germany as our true opposition. Countries with similar population and opportunities, should be a good race between the 3 of us it seems.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #30: Aug 02, 2012 11:39:31 pm
      Yep things have picked up nicely the last few days, I personally see France and Germany as our true opposition. Countries with similar population and opportunities, should be a good race between the 3 of us it seems.

Agreed. That's where I make the comparison on how we are doing. It would be great to eclipse both of those nations which I'm sure is an aim of Team GB.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #31: Aug 03, 2012 12:03:44 pm
      George Nash and William Satch, two youngsters who only came together this year, did brilliantly to win a bronze medal in the rowing pair. Could have nearly got a silver but the French just edged them.

Very happy for them.

EDIT: Coming up in 5 mins time, the women's double final featuring Katherine Granger and Anna Watkins.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #32: Aug 03, 2012 12:17:06 pm
      Gold for Grainger & Watkins!!!!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #33: Aug 03, 2012 12:18:10 pm
      Awesome! The support for the host nation is by far the greatest I've ever heard!

Always the bridesmaid never the bride? Not any more for Katherine Grainger!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #34: Aug 03, 2012 12:19:53 pm
      Brilliant race by the girls!  Well in Anna and Kath!!  And well in to the men's double skulls for their bronze!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #35: Aug 03, 2012 12:37:57 pm
      Alan Campbell gets a bronze medal! Well done Alan!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #36: Aug 03, 2012 12:41:53 pm

Fantastic!  Well in Alan!

Very good day's rowing!
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #37: Aug 03, 2012 01:47:49 pm
      Well in to all the rowers who got medals, especially Kath Grainger who must be feeling ecstatic.  :clap:

We're shooting up that medals table.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,866 posts | 165 
      Reply #38: Aug 03, 2012 04:16:35 pm

Was in 4th going into last 500, crowd really brought him home, well done Alan brilliant effort, and well deserved medal.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,866 posts | 165 
      Reply #39: Aug 03, 2012 04:17:19 pm
      Gold for Grainger & Watkins!!!!

Never in doubt, superb and well deserved.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #40: Aug 04, 2012 11:35:49 am
      500m to go in the men's heavyweight four.  GB just leading Australia.  Come on lads!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #41: Aug 04, 2012 11:36:24 am
      YES!!!!!!  GOLD for GB!!

Brilliant!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #42: Aug 04, 2012 11:37:45 am
      Another gold for GB! Nice one!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #43: Aug 04, 2012 11:41:07 am
      That's Great Britain becoming Olympic champions in the coxless fours for the 4th time in a row! Since Sydney 2000 (and Sir Steve's greatest moment) they've absolutely dominated the event! This rowing performance was outstanding!

Got to really feel for Australia at the moment. They are having something of a crisis in the Olympics at the moment. Hopefully this will be their Atlanta 1996 in the way that Great Britain similarly suffered when we achieved just one gold medal. That really was the catalyst needed to really kick British sport into shape and be in the position we are today.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #44: Aug 04, 2012 11:53:58 am
      Hosking and Copeland fly out of the start in the women's lightweight double sculls.  Greece pulling away.  GB catching them up coming up to 1000m.  China and Denmark not far behind.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #45: Aug 04, 2012 11:57:18 am
      GB edging this now!  GB in front by 3/4s of a length at 1500m!  Keep going girls!

YES!!!!!  get in!  GOLD for GB!!  By a distance, fantastic effort!

Quick Reply