Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Olympics: Swimming

Read 12907 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Olympics: Swimming
      Reply #46: Aug 01, 2012 07:44:06 pm
      Wonderful silver from Jamieson! Incredible swimming by Gyurta and Jamieson.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #47: Aug 01, 2012 08:00:14 pm
      Michael Jamieson wins silver in the men's 100m!  Gold went to Daniel Gyrtua of Hungary in a new world record!  Jamieson's time of 2.07.43 was a new BR.

It's raining medals today!

Brilliant, missed that as I'm watching the football.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #48: Aug 01, 2012 08:41:17 pm
      Pissed of with the poor attitude of the swimmers in general.Adlington and Jamieson won medals by getting stuck in and really having a go.
      Most of the swimmers seem happy just to get to a final.
      Having waited 4 years at least they should come prepared to do PB's you cannot criticise anyone who does a PB but they have been few and far between.
      I have noticed that a lot of our swimmers seem small by comparison to some of the others.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #49: Aug 01, 2012 09:59:09 pm
      Michael Jamieson wins silver in the men's 100m!  Gold went to Daniel Gyrtua of Hungary in a new world record!  Jamieson's time of 2.07.43 was a new BR.

It's raining medals today!

That was a brilliant performance by Michael Jamieson and it took a world record to beat him. Another few metres and the Brit would have won it.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #50: Aug 02, 2012 09:08:49 pm
      More magic from Phelps.

Won the 200m IM and then came back and dominated his 100m butterfly semi final.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #51: Aug 02, 2012 09:58:31 pm
      More magic from Phelps.

Won the 200m IM and then came back and dominated his 100m butterfly semi final.

Phelps looks more relaxed since he got that record as the greatest ever Olympian. Back to his best tonight.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #52: Aug 02, 2012 10:29:49 pm
      Thiago Pereira finished 4th in the 200m medley :( So close!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #53: Aug 03, 2012 07:37:39 pm
      WR for Missy Franklin of the USA in the women's 200m backstroke by 0.5 of a second!  Gutsy swim by Lizzie Simmonds in 4th place!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #54: Aug 03, 2012 07:43:08 pm
      Yet another gold for Michael Phelps in the men's 100m fly!  What an athlete this man is, record books being re-written again!
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #55: Aug 03, 2012 07:47:19 pm
      Come on Becky !!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #56: Aug 03, 2012 07:48:16 pm
      Becky A up next in the women's 800m freestyle, comes out to raucous screams!

Come on Becky!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #57: Aug 03, 2012 07:52:21 pm
      Becky and Friis neck and neck, now going after the 15 year old from USA. Ledecky what a swim so far!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #58: Aug 03, 2012 07:57:39 pm
      Ledecky running away with this, Becky now in third, 100m to go.  Bel Monte (sp?) in second.  Ledecky wins gold, Belmonte second, Becky third!

Great swim, Becky well beaten though.  Another bronze for GB!  Good on you Becky!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #59: Aug 03, 2012 08:02:19 pm
      Wonder if the Chinese will have anything to say about Ledecky's improvement after their dig at YE?  :f_tongueincheek:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #60: Aug 03, 2012 08:06:50 pm
      Wonder if the Chinese will have anything to say about Ledecky's improvement after their dig at YE?  :f_tongueincheek:

Exactly. Personally thought that was disgraceful behaviour by the US team. To be honest I don't think they've adhered themselves to anyone this Olympics. Firstly ignoring the 7/7 tribute in the opening ceremony in favour of a Ryan Seacrest interview with Michael Phelps and then that accusation.

Unlucky to Rebecca Adlington. Swimmings really been the only category Britain has disappointed in but you cannot argue with two bronze's from Adlington. She gave it her all. I don't know how much British swimming can learn from British cycling but I think most teams can learn from Dave Brailsford's lot.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #61: Aug 03, 2012 08:07:05 pm
      Something 'disturbing' about Ledecky's performance then..
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #62: Aug 03, 2012 08:10:52 pm
      Something 'disturbing' about Ledecky's performance then..

Not really, I was just having a dig at the US swim team management who smeared YE's performances with their druging suggestions.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #63: Aug 03, 2012 08:23:49 pm
      Only a bronze for Cesar Cielo :( Not too bad obviously but we expected another gold from him... (he won gold in the 50m in Beijing)
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #64: Aug 03, 2012 08:45:31 pm
      Only a bronze for Cesar Cielo :( Not too bad obviously but we expected another gold from him... (he won gold in the 50m in Beijing)

Winner was someone who was making his first ever appearance in a 50m freestyle final, very impressive.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #65: Aug 03, 2012 09:48:09 pm
      Well done to Becky on her bronze medal. She was shattered at the end and gave it her all.

She is now Britain's most successful Olympic swimmer.  :gt-happyup:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #66: Aug 03, 2012 10:10:22 pm
      Well done to Becky on her bronze medal. She was shattered at the end and gave it her all.

She is now Britain's most successful Olympic swimmer.  :gt-happyup:

Couldn't have happened to a better person.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #67: Aug 03, 2012 10:15:58 pm
      Congrats to Becky indeed, but that American just 15, that is an unbelievable achievement and scary how good she is going to be.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #68: Aug 04, 2012 12:41:46 am
      London 2012: Rebecca Adlington considers retiring from swimming

The Guardian, Saturday 4 August 2012

Rebecca Adlington admitted she is considering retiring following a disappointing bronze in the 800m freestyle.

Despite insisting that to view a silver or bronze as losing is "absolutely insane", the 23-year-old defending Olympic champion was visibly upset after being well beaten by the 15-year-old American Katie Ledecky and admitted she was disappointed with her time of 8min 20.32sec, more than six seconds slower than her own world record and 5.69 slower than the winner.

"I can happily say that I have been in four Olympic Games finals, which is incredible, and I'm glad that I've medalled in four as well," she said. "I can definitely look back and be happy with my career [but] there is just an element of disappointment in there as well, obviously."

Asked if she is considering retiring, Adlington said: "I don't really know, to be honest. Obviously I still love the sport or I wouldn't be upset." She is now looking forward to taking a break, starting with the wedding of her close friend and fellow British swimmer Keri-Anne Payne, at which she is to be bridesmaid next month, and a charity bike ride in Africa in October.

When they are over, she said, "That's when I'll sit down with Bill [Furniss, her coach], that's when I'll analyse how much I've missed it in my break. I'll experience that normal life in six to eight weeks and see how I feel. I, honest to God, don't know how I will feel.

"I love the sport but I always feel like I want to finish on a high. If I feel like I've got more to come, more to give, that's something I'll talk about with Bill and we'll talk about getting back in or not."

The fact she had been beaten by a 15-year-old following stand-out performances at the Games by the 17-year-old Missy Franklin, Ye Shiwen, who is 16, and the Lithuanian 15-year-old Ruta Meilutyte, would be a factor in that, Adlington said.

"I can't recover as quickly as I used to. I used to do hard session after hard session, I can't do that so much now I'm 23. People say: 'Oh you're so young', but for distance swimming I'm not so young. It's not an old generation sport."

If she were to retire, she said, she would love to become a swimming commentator. "I've always wanted to do Strictly as well," she said. "I'd be awful because I can't dance, everyone takes the mick out of me 'cos I dance like a mum and point my fingers, but I just love the fact that I would be able to dress up and be girly. People see women in sport as not being girly but I am."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/04/rebecca-adlington-future-london-2012?CMP=twt_gu

Quick Reply