Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

FC Gomel 0-1 Liverpool - In game & post match talk - welcome back!

Read 31846 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Re: FC Gomel 0-1 Liverpool - In game & post match talk - welcome back!
      Reply #460: Aug 03, 2012 01:11:43 pm
      Interesting to hear the 20 Liverpool fans who travelled were moaning cos the players (apart from carra ) walked off without an acknowledgement towards them. Ged Poynton told them to be quiet, sit down and said they didn't have to come, no one made them!!
      Ollyarto
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #461: Aug 03, 2012 01:13:47 pm
      Can I ask how many guys here being "negative" actually play football themselves at a half decent level?

For me and most of the Saturday league players around here match fitness is a huge advantage. Your mind reacts just that bit quicker, you get the ball under control just that split second sooner and it makes the world of difference.

Everyone is free to their own opinion so I'm not bashing people here, just wondering.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #462: Aug 03, 2012 01:28:13 pm
      Can I ask how many guys here being "negative" actually play football themselves at a half decent level?

For me and most of the Saturday league players around here match fitness is a huge advantage. Your mind reacts just that bit quicker, you get the ball under control just that split second sooner and it makes the world of difference.

Everyone is free to their own opinion so I'm not bashing people here, just wondering.

Yeah, but I bet those Friday nights on the lash F**k you up!!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #463: Aug 03, 2012 01:31:16 pm
      I'll start getting worried when were playing like that when Suarez, Reina, Agger etc come back into the team.

Just to keep with the more positive mood..... IF they come back :D
      Ollyarto
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #464: Aug 03, 2012 01:44:09 pm
      Just to keep with the more positive mood..... IF they come back :D

What you talking about, they have to get their place back in the side first! #PMA
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #465: Aug 03, 2012 10:58:02 pm
      It wasn"t a great game , but who cares once we won. And if we can keep winning like that it will do me fine.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #466: Aug 04, 2012 01:18:00 am
      You don't get anything for playing pretty football, you get everything for scoring more goals than your opponents. So yeah, we didn't play well on the eye but F**k me we still got the result. And under any circumstances, a win and a clean sheet away from home in Europe is a F***ing big result. Takes the pressure off a bit more at Anfield when the lads will be that much fitter, sharper and hopefully comfortable into the system Brendan Rodgers is trying to get us to play. Isn't it the old argument of performance over results? Vast majority of people I know would take results every time. So I'm not gonna get to het up about a performance that by and large I was expecting anyway.

I understand people wanna see the basics, at the very least, being carried out professionally even this early into the season and yeah I wanna see it to. I thought there was some shocking moments from some of our more experienced players but I'm not gonna let that dampening me spirit because Liverpool Football Club won a competitive game again and that'll do for me right now. And it's a European win which we haven't seen in around 18 months. So I'm gonna happily take that win and not dissect the performance.

All in all I'm happy because there were some signs of improvement from last year - Downing and Henderson probably more than anything. We've still got potentially our spine to return to the side (Reina, Agger, Lucas, Suarez). We got to see a sustained run out for Sterling who in glimpses looked dangerous. We got another solid 45 minutes out of Martin Kelly. We got 90 minutes out of Borini. We won and kept a clean sheet away from in Europe. And we also saw that after 700 games, Jamie Carragher still has something to offer because he was out F***ing standing as far as I'm concerned. So thinking about it weren't that bad for our opening game of the season.

A comfortable win at Anfield next Thursday before turning over West Brom on the opening day of the Premiership. And all of a sudden things look a whole lot more rosy for us.

Happy days!!!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #467: Aug 04, 2012 01:33:31 am
      I want to know when we played Rubin Kazan? As far as I remember we haven't played them in the last couple of years.

Beats me. Maybe he means Trabzonspor of Turkey. If so I'm shocked he has forgotten the team we beat. After all it was a 'famous victory'.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #468: Aug 04, 2012 04:11:14 am
      I don't know, I'm not as optimistic.  We were poor during pre-season, and now poor during our first competitive match of the season.  And please don't start with the whole "pre-season doesn't matter" business, lest anyone forget, last season we were woeful during pre-season, and, lo and behold, it carried over into the regular season.

The scariest part about this match at Gomel was that far from showing signs of progress, we actually looked even WORSE than last year, with even MORE hoofing.  I didn't think that was possible.  I mean, no one knew what they were doing, Stevie was playing deep, then hoofing it forward, losing the ball deep in our own half, Enrique was doing his headless chicken act again, Henderson was no where to be found, Downing did his usual "I don't take on full backs" routine for 99% of the game except for the goal.  Borini looked like a fish out of water (was he really the "exciting" player?!).  I mean, the most composed player we had on the pitch was Carra.  Really, considering how poor he was last season, I honestly don't think I've seen him hoof it once this pre-season or the other night.  Brad Jones was also immense.  Sterling did a great job when he came on for Cole as well.  Those three can hold their heads up high.

But they were just coming with wave after wave after wave, we looked like amateurs.  They could have easily had 4 or 5 within the first half alone.  They probably should have.  Really, we were so, so poor.  I posted it in the match thread, but our so-called tiki-taka was more like "tiki-taka-tiki-taka-tiki-taka-tiki-taka.... okay I've had enough, time to hoof it."  The first half, you would have thought they were Liverpool.  I mean... we were under siege, by... the third place team... in the... Belarussian league.  It's not like we had a bunch of kids out there either.  Of the starting XI, Enrique, Skrtel, Johnson, Stevie, Henderson, Borini, Downing... they'll probably all start the season unless we bring in more players.  We had no chemistry, none at all, people just running around, poor touches, lazy passing, miscommunication, it was really bad.  Of course, it'll take time, but really, these are a lot of the same players from last season, and even if we're not going to look like freaking Barcelona overnight, you would at least expect us not to look any WORSE, right?!

If we play anything like that at the beginning of the season we're going to be in a lot of trouble.  We've got West Brom, City, Arsenal, Sunderland and the mancs in our first five matches.  If we play like that we'll get played off the pitch by West Brom, let alone City and the others.

I'm not a follower of the a win is a win is a win philosophy.  When you lose, you take things from it so you can improve and try to win.  When you win, you rarely do things perfectly, so you should take things from it then too to make sure it's not a fluke.  But when you win and yet you were piss poor, you should really look at what went wrong, or else the next time that win could be a loss.  If we play like that during the beginning of the season we'll be in big trouble.  We'll be lucky to hang on to all of our key players THIS window---but if we don't get CL next season we could really see a mass exodus.  So we have to get every point we can.  And we have a huge challenge right away at the beginning of the season, with only one match, against Gomel, before it starts.

Unless we're magically going to improve, we need some serious changes in the squad. 
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #469: Aug 04, 2012 01:03:02 pm
      Roy god bless him had the same problem in his pre season when he didnt get his big players back because of the World Cup.
      Its so difficult to judge where we are until our best team is put out.Thats the point of lack of investment we do have a good first team but after that we struggle.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #470: Aug 04, 2012 01:40:40 pm
      Beats me. Maybe he means Trabzonspor of Turkey. If so I'm shocked he has forgotten the team we beat. After all it was a 'famous victory'.

I was on about the team we played in the European qualifier under Rafa. I think they were Romanian or something, sorry if I got the name wrong I can't remember f*ck all these days. Anyway we struggled like f*ck and played shabbite. Maybe I'm thinking of the Israeli team, Macabi whatever it was. Anyway my point is we've always struggled at the start of seasons for as long as I can remember. As long as we go through, it doesn't matter really.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #471: Aug 04, 2012 03:59:33 pm
      It's going to take time to get used to BR methods etc so although it wasn't pretty it was a win away from home and I'll celebrate that for now.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #472: Aug 05, 2012 08:46:25 am
      Poor performance but its still pre-season and we won with a clean sheet.

Slighty concerned that we only have two games before the league re-starts though as we look rusty and well off in regards to sharpness etc.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,988 posts | 238 
      Reply #473: Aug 05, 2012 09:08:55 am
      I should not compare, but look at the "European champions". I am reading that they were demolished by the little fancied Brighton. And, I see people expecting them to fight for the title. Granted that they are taking the kind of players signed by them. But, if a scrappy victory over Gomel means the end of the world, the same should apply to those plastics eh?
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #474: Aug 06, 2012 05:03:28 pm
      The whole match  Gomel vs Liverpool on youtube.  :D
      Terribly sorry, but it's all with Russian comment  ;)

ФК Гомель - Ливерпуль

Though I'm not a very good writer I'll try to describe those greatest days of my life.
      Despite everything happiness exists. :scarf:
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #475: Aug 06, 2012 11:29:12 pm

Yep, and it applies just as much at the top level as well. Our lads were poor but the difference in fitness and sharpness between the two sides has been under-played by most in this thread imo. It makes a huge difference. They pressed our lads all over the pitch, they were quicker in the tackle, they were quicker to 2nd balls, they moved the ball at a better tempo and their midfield marked, tracked and tackled all game. It's easy to say "our lads are worth this or worth that and that fitness shouldn't matter" but it's huge in football, in virtually every aspect. The 90 mins will have done our boys a lot of good and I expect they will be considerably sharper on Thursday having come through this game.

Quick Reply