Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Olympics: Athletics

Read 22202 times
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Re: Olympics: Athletics
      Reply #161: Aug 10, 2012 10:47:01 pm
      F***ing hell, GB men's 4x100m relay team will be disqualified.  F***ing hell, why are we so sh*t at baton changes.  That was a boss run apart from that error.

SIGH.

Oh well lads, you did your best.  Gutted for them.

I wonder if Gemili's arm problem meant he couldn't put his hand back properly to receive the baton. Gutted for the team. Our record in relays is abysmal.  :(
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #162: Aug 11, 2012 07:32:25 pm
      Come on Mo!!!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #163: Aug 11, 2012 07:35:25 pm

Slow race so far!

Come on Mo!!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #164: Aug 11, 2012 07:43:37 pm
      This is gripping yet again.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #165: Aug 11, 2012 07:46:08 pm
      YEEESSSSSS!!!! MO FARAH - THE MAN OF THE OLYMPICS!!!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #166: Aug 11, 2012 07:46:17 pm
      YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!   MO you beauty!!!!

GOLD!!!!!!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #167: Aug 11, 2012 07:46:56 pm
      YEEESSSSSS!!!! MO FARAH - THE MAN OF THE OLYMPICS!!!

Haha!  He's only doing sit-ups now!!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #168: Aug 11, 2012 07:48:24 pm
      Savage running, congrats to Mo on his unbelievable double
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #169: Aug 11, 2012 07:50:33 pm
      Take that Bolt - Mo does sit ups !!

Legend Mo !!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #170: Aug 11, 2012 07:55:15 pm
      I want to see what the beebs commentary box reactions were to that!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #171: Aug 11, 2012 07:56:47 pm
      I'm certain it's not me being biased but this definitely outdoes Bolt's efforts at these Olympics. For sure it's brilliant seeing the affirmation of a legend.

But it is something all the more special seeing the birth of a legend.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #172: Aug 11, 2012 08:00:36 pm
      I'm certain it's not me being biased but this definitely outdoes Bolt's efforts at these Olympics. For sure it's brilliant seeing the affirmation of a legend.

But it is something all the more special seeing the birth of a legend.

I think it's hard to seperate the two tbh mate - both very special indeed.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #173: Aug 11, 2012 08:01:33 pm
      Loving Crammy's commentary and Brendan Foster's reaction, and oh there we go!  The beeb's commentary box!  F***ing boss Denise and Colin!

Love it!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #174: Aug 11, 2012 08:19:15 pm
      For the stat aficionados:

1950:
       ATHLETICS
      The brilliant Mo Farah has joined a select group here. The only other men to have done the 5,000m and 10,000m double in the same Games are:

2008 - Kenenisa Bekele (Ethiopia)

1980 - Miruts Yifter (Ethiopia)

1972 & 1976 - Lasse Viren (Finland)

1956 - Vladimir Kuts (Soviet Union)

1952 - Emil Zatopek (Czechoslovakia)

1912 - Hannes Kolehmainen (Finland)

Well in Mo! :clap:
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #175: Aug 11, 2012 08:30:40 pm
      Good luck to GB's 4x400m relay girls!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #176: Aug 11, 2012 08:30:50 pm
      Come on girls....4x400 metres final
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #177: Aug 11, 2012 08:34:26 pm
      Ahhh, the USA were so far ahead, unlucky girls, that was a good effort.  USA were amazing then!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #178: Aug 11, 2012 09:02:41 pm
      WR for the Jamaican men's sprint relay team!
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #179: Aug 11, 2012 10:09:13 pm
      Brilliant run by Mo, never looked in doubt over the last 2 laps.  :clap:

And a brilliant world record for Jamaica in the 4 x 100 relay.  :clap:

Michael Johnson said this is the best track and field championships that he has witnessed. I've loved it and gutted now it's over.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #180: Aug 12, 2012 05:09:17 pm
      Brilliant run by Mo, never looked in doubt over the last 2 laps.  :clap:

And a brilliant world record for Jamaica in the 4 x 100 relay.  :clap:

Michael Johnson said this is the best track and field championships that he has witnessed. I've loved it and gutted now it's over.

Feel the same here.  At the start I was indifferent but the performances all round have been a joy to watch.  That 5000M was amazing, what a run by Mo.

It's just been brilliant to watch and I actually got to savour some of the atmosphere myself today watching the marathon.  The support for all the runners was exceptional.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #181: Aug 24, 2012 12:41:39 am
      Yohan Blake equals third fastest 100m time in history in Lausanne

guardian.co.uk, Thursday 23 August 2012 23.49 BST

Yohan Blake crossed the line in 9.69sec at the Diamond League meeting in Lausanne. Only Usain Bolt has ever run quicker. Photo: Salvatore Di Nolfi/EPA
      The 2012 Olympics always felt like it was going to be a watershed in men's sprinting. The only question was what lay on the other side. The world got a little glimpse of what lies ahead in Lausanne on Thursday night, when Yohan Blake won the 100m in 9.69sec. Only Usain Bolt has run quicker. Twenty minutes later Bolt was out on the track himself, winning the 200m in 19.58sec, ahead of the Netherland's Churandy Martina, who set a national record of 19.85sec.

Both Bolt and Blake set meeting records, but not for the first time, you suspect, in years and months to come, Bolt's performance was just a little overshadowed by that of his young training partner. Blake destroyed a field who included three Olympic 100m finalists, leading from start to finish, accelerating away as the race went on. Blake's time cut six-hundredths of a second off his personal best, and left him tied with Tyson Gay as the second-fastest 100m runner in history.

On the night Gay was just another athlete trailing behind him, finishing second in 9.83sec. Blake did it running into a headwind and off the back of a bad case of flu. "I have been sick all week," he said. "Thank God I have recovered, not fully, but I'm getting there." Asked about the prospect of another head-to-head, Blake made it pretty clear what it would take. "I will run with Usain any day, because he is my training partner, and I love running with him, but they will have to put up big money." It would be worth it.

"It was all right," Bolt said of his own run, seemingly a little underwhelmed. "It's at the end of the season so it was just a bit of fun. I knew Yohan was going to run fast. I predicted 9.72sec but he went a little faster." If anything, he was more excited about the new air-guitar routine he unveiled while he was standing on the start blocks.

Kirani James made almost as easy a job of winning the 400m, coasting through the first 200m before kicking hard around the final bend to finish in 44.37sec, only he and LaShawn Merritt have run quicker this year. The Dominican Republic's Luguelín Santos was second behind James, just as he was in the Olympic final.

The women's 100m did see a showdown between the two best sprinters in the world, with the Olympic champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce taking on the world champion Carmelita Jeter. Fraser-Pryce led out of the blocks but Jeter pulled back into the race in the final metres and won it with a dip for the line. They both finished in 10.86sec, separated only by thousandths of a second.

Away from the track all eyes were on the high jump competition, where Robbie Grabarz equalled Steve Smith's British record of 2.37m. That, though, was only good enough for third place behind Russia's Ivan Ukhov and Qatar's Mutaz Barshim. Grabarz's was one of several British athletes who may have been left wishing they could just have found this kind of form a fortnight or so earlier.

Perri Shakes-Drayton was third in the 400m hurdles, her time of 53.83sec was six hundredths of a second outside her PB. And Lawrence Okoye finished second in the discus, behind the 2008 Olympic champion Gerd Kanter. Okoye's 65.27m was one of four throws he produced that all cleared 64m.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/23/yohan-blake-second-fastest-100m?CMP=twt_gu
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #182: Aug 24, 2012 07:22:04 pm
      Yohan Blake equals third fastest 100m time in history in Lausanne

Yohan Blake crossed the line in 9.69sec at the Diamond League meeting in Lausanne. Only Usain Bolt has ever run quicker. Photo: Salvatore Di Nolfi/EPA

Blake did it running into a headwind and off the back of a bad case of flu. "I have been sick all week," he said. "Thank God I have recovered, not fully, but I'm getting there."
      Wow!  Third fastest time ever and he wasn't 100%!  This lad may seriously challenge Usain's WR.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #183: Aug 24, 2012 08:38:57 pm
      Wow!  Third fastest time ever and he wasn't 100%!  This lad may seriously challenge Usain's WR.

I agree. Blake is the real deal and a real threat to Usain Bolt. He was also running into a headwind as well as shaking off the flu.

Quick Reply