Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Pre-match Liverpool V FC Gomel 9/8/12 3rd rd qualifying game. 8.05 KO

Read 9172 times
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Re: Pre-match Liverpool V FC Gomel 9/8/12 3rd rd qualifying game. 8.05 KO
      Reply #23: Aug 07, 2012 07:46:29 pm
      Heard an interesting point today; would it be better to have Lucas start and get about 60 mins in or take it easy with him and go for another 25-30 min sub appearance?

Personally I'd go for the 60 mins from the start. It was evident last week how he makes our midfield tick over. I think the lads were a bit nervous last week and that got worse as Gomel improved. Lucas keeps it calm and collected in the middle and is great at controlling the tempo. Let him start keep in control, get a goal or two in the first half and then when the lads are calm and playing their stuff take him off.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #24: Aug 07, 2012 07:51:27 pm
      Heard an interesting point today; would it be better to have Lucas start and get about 60 mins in or take it easy with him and go for another 25-30 min sub appearance?

Personally I'd go for the 60 mins from the start. It was evident last week how he makes our midfield tick over. I think the lads were a bit nervous last week and that got worse as Gomel improved. Lucas keeps it calm and collected in the middle and is great at controlling the tempo. Let him start keep in control, get a goal or two in the first half and then when the lads are calm and playing their stuff take him off.

Decent shout that.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #25: Aug 07, 2012 07:52:19 pm
      I think football has been too influenced by Sports science.the decision should by firsty the players and then the managers.If the player says he is fit and the manager agrees then its upto the manager.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #26: Aug 07, 2012 09:19:25 pm

Maybe even start him for the first half, Jay or Henderson in the second.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #27: Aug 07, 2012 09:28:04 pm

I see exactly where you're coming from Kopite but I wouldn't risk him at all. His recovery is way ahead of the schedule they set him when it first happened so for the Europa League qualifier if we can't handle Gomel at home with an away goal lead we really are screwed something special and not for a minute do I think we will struggle.

I'd play him for 30mins and just go really easy on him, we have a seriously difficult start to the season and I just fear there could be too much pressure and expectation on Lucas already for these games.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #28: Aug 08, 2012 12:57:10 pm
      Not going to lie, I can't wait to get back to Anfield.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #29: Aug 08, 2012 01:07:46 pm
      I see exactly where you're coming from Kopite but I wouldn't risk him at all. His recovery is way ahead of the schedule they set him when it first happened so for the Europa League qualifier if we can't handle Gomel at home with an away goal lead we really are screwed something special and not for a minute do I think we will struggle.

I'd play him for 30mins and just go really easy on him, we have a seriously difficult start to the season and I just fear there could be too much pressure and expectation on Lucas already for these games.

I completely get where you're coming from mate. But I just see Gomel going all out for this. They were unlucky not to win last week and they know it. They were the better team for the majority of the game and if they get us on the back foot early it's all up in the air.

Maybe not even 60 mins, as TheRedMosquito said above maybe just play the first 45 mins. Or if the plan is for him to just play 25 or 30 mins I'd rather him play the first 25-30 mins and set up our tempo and play, and settle everyone. It's Brendan's first game at Anfield, wether it's Gomel or Barcelona, there is going to be nerves. I just think Lucas can settle the early nerves, help us get an early goal or two and then take him off.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,289 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #30: Aug 08, 2012 01:08:40 pm
      Team for tomorrow?

Reina needs a game so Id start him. After that if I was teh gaffer Id play hard ball with the owners and start Agger, Carroll and Skrtel to tie them up in Europe so thos sniffing around would cool there interest.

After that Shelvey and Pacheco deserve a chance and Downing to see if he can build on last week so

Reina

Kelly Skrtel Agger Johnson

Lucas Spearing
      Downing   Shelvey   PAcheco

Carroll   

higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #31: Aug 08, 2012 01:10:23 pm
      Any idea if it's on TV?

Not that sh*te Premier Sports again, I hope.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,246 posts | 8577 
      Reply #32: Aug 08, 2012 01:11:03 pm
      Any idea if it's on TV?

Not that sh*te Premier Sports again, I hope.

ESPN tomorrow.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #33: Aug 08, 2012 01:13:47 pm

Cheers HR.

Don't have that either, but the pub does ;D
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #34: Aug 08, 2012 01:16:46 pm
      I'd like to see a near full strength team. Can't see Sunday being overly competitive.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #35: Aug 08, 2012 01:17:08 pm
      Team for tomorrow?

Reina needs a game so Id start him. After that if I was teh gaffer Id play hard ball with the owners and start Agger, Carroll and Skrtel to tie them up in Europe so thos sniffing around would cool there interest.

There are no indications that it is the owners who want to sell those players, or even if they are to be sold, all we have is newspaper speculation.
      Regardless of that, playing them in a qualifying round means nothing. They can still play for another team in the competition proper or the champions league, so it's a bit of a moot point.

I'd start Lucas and Gerrard in midfield, with Henderson if we play 433, and also play suarez.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,246 posts | 8577 
      Reply #36: Aug 08, 2012 01:27:48 pm
      Team for tomorrow?

After that Shelvey and Pacheco deserve a chance and Downing to see if he can build on last week so

Reina

Kelly Skrtel Agger Johnson

Lucas Spearing
      Downing   Shelvey   PAcheco

Carroll   

If Agger doesn't start, pound to a penny, he's defo getting sold!!
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #37: Aug 08, 2012 01:35:14 pm
      Been sent a text from a mate who used to get Hodgsons team spot on and got last weeks spot on bar one player

Pepe

Johnson
      Skrtel
      Agger
      Enrique

Lucas
      Gerrard
      Shelvey

Downing
      Borini
      Suarez
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,246 posts | 8577 
      Reply #38: Aug 08, 2012 01:39:34 pm
      Been sent a text from a mate who used to get Hodgsons team spot on and got last weeks spot on bar one player

Pepe

Johnson
      Skrtel
      Agger
      Enrique

Lucas
      Gerrard
      Shelvey

Downing
      Borini
      Suarez

This sh*t started up again?

Pissed me off big time last time, whoever it is sending these texts needs his mobile shoved up his arse sharpish!!

Noticed there was hardly anything regarding the team being leaked under Kenny!
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #39: Aug 08, 2012 01:45:09 pm
      This sh*t started up again?

Pissed me off big time last time, whoever it is sending these texts needs his mobile shoved up his arse sharpish!!

Noticed there was hardly anything regarding the team being leaked under Kenny!

I know mate - rumours that it was coming from a mate of Carras when it was with Hodgson.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #40: Aug 08, 2012 02:16:17 pm
      If anyone believes the "bib theory" from the training photos, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique, Lucas, Shelvey, Gerrard, Downing, Borini, and Suarez were wearing green. Carroll, Pacheco, Carragher, Sterling, Spearing, Robinson, Kelly were wearing orange.

We'll see if the so-called "bib theory" has any credence :laugh:

EDIT: I just saw the posts above about a text message with the same players.
      WildIRL
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts |
      Reply #41: Aug 08, 2012 02:40:43 pm
      This will be my first time in Anfield or even Liverpool for that matter. Brendan's first home game. Landing in John Lennon Airport at 18:05.... excited I am.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #42: Aug 08, 2012 02:43:07 pm
      If anyone believes the "bib theory" from the training photos, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique, Lucas, Shelvey, Gerrard, Downing, Borini, and Suarez were wearing green. Carroll, Pacheco, Carragher, Sterling, Spearing, Robinson, Kelly were wearing orange.

EDIT: I just saw the posts above about a text message with the same players.

Maybe thats how the mysterious texters works it out
      Ollyarto
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #43: Aug 08, 2012 02:53:13 pm
      This will be my first time in Anfield or even Liverpool for that matter. Brendan's first home game. Landing in John Lennon Airport at 18:05.... excited I am.

Have a good time chap, you never forget the first time and each time going back is even better than the last.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #44: Aug 08, 2012 02:58:37 pm
      haha that 'bib-theory' is gas.

Wonder if that works for transfers too?
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #45: Aug 08, 2012 05:34:48 pm
      Scott Slater ‏@scottslater_
      Told this is tomorrows team. Reina. Johnson. Skrtel. Agger. Enrique. Lucas. Gerrard. Shelvey. Downing. Suarez. Borini #lfc

Would f**king love that.

We shall see tommorrow! Twitter rumours seem to suggest theres something in it!  ;D

Quick Reply