Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Liverpool 3:0 FC Gomel In game & Post Match Tiki-taka.

Read 28286 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: Liverpool 3:0 FC Gomel In game & Post Match Tiki-taka.
      Reply #391: Aug 10, 2012 07:51:54 am
      Honestly, just to take a comment from JD, I don't think Gomel are THAT poor of a team.  I mean obviously they're not great, but if you watched the first leg, you would see that they have some players that can really impact a game, and if they're organized they're difficult to get around.  I think we were just THAT good tonight.  But I don't want to get carried away, because it's still early days, and we were awful less than one week ago. 

But really.  Anyone who says that was just a "decent" game must not have watched us last season.  It was like night and day.  We occasionally played pass-and-move last season, but it was usually just passing and moving with no real purpose or direction, most of it sideways and backwards even when under no pressure.  A lot of players without bollocks just knocking it around with no desire to go forward.

What we saw last night was something totally different.  It was a mixture of tiki-taka and the more dynamic way that, say, Dortmund play.  And wow was it fun to watch.  I know in the end it was basically a glorified pre-season match, but we really showed some class.  And that was with Downing in the side and Lucas not even anywhere near his best yet.  This could get even better.  If we somehow were able to add Sahin, a great striker and a dynamic winger, I don't think there's any reason we shouldn't be aiming for top four.

What I loved most about the match was that Suarez wasn't doing everything on his own.  Last season we often just gave Suarez the ball and stood around watching, just waiting for him to do something.  Last night he was moving everywhere, but everyone else was moving, too, so the defenders couldn't just focus on him alone.  Stevie was all over the field, Borini had great movement, hell even Downing was like a different player.  Suarez still was spectacular, but it seemed more to be part of a larger attacking force from the team instead of Suarez being our only threat.  I think it bodes really well, and I think it's also really important because he'll be able to conserve energy more often.  Instead of him getting the ball and having to beat three or four people (and inevitably be exhausted after each move), he only had to beat one or two, it freed him up, he didn't have to put as much energy into everything, etc.  It was a really good sign.

We haven't played that well in years, honestly.  The closest we came was spring of 2011 when Kenny came back, we played really well back then, probably the best of that run was away at Fulham where we walloped them 5-2, where Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez ran down the wing and got us a hat trick.  That was great.  But last night... that was something else.  If we play anywhere near that well this season, we are going to be really dangerous.

Can't wait.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #392: Aug 10, 2012 08:18:59 am
       Well done to the lads for giving us a good start to the season at Anfield,it was good we  scored 3 goals and conceded none.Hope this is a precurser of what to expect this season.
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Reply #393: Aug 10, 2012 08:19:05 am
      Good to see the lads show the oppo up for what they were (which was poor) and a perfect dress rehearsal for the new season. I thought the lads looked fit, they worked hard and put in an excellent performance for the whole 90 minutes. The movement of the front was excellent and I'm excited to see Gerrard playing further forward if (as was the case last night) this is how BR wants to utilise him. Suarez was simply a one man wrecking crew and the early signs are there between him and Borini as they linked up well on a few occasions. His movement reminded me of Maxi and you can already see that he will offer a genuine goal threat from the laeft hand side. I thought that all of Rodgers principles were on show last night, we had 67% possession, the lads closed and pressed the ball for 90 mins and you saw Reina playing on the edge of his box and playing the sweeper role (albeit a but casually at times!). Biggest bonus was seeing how sharp Lucas is in such a short space of time, so composed and strong in the middle of the park. I actually felt that Shelvey (if anyone) was the only player who struggled last night but he still did ok. Was also impressed with Jonno who seems to have picked up where he left off after an excellent Euros for England.

Was also great to see Joe Allen in the stands!

I think shelvey's natural instinct is to attack rather than sit deep. Now as allen coming, he would be playing the role played by shelvey who likes to play little deeper. Still shelvey played some wonderful long range passes
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #394: Aug 10, 2012 08:23:37 am
      I thought we played some brilliant football last night, opposition is opposition we created chances in the final 3rd
      Players looked very settled too for what is still preseason.

It's easy to see how some players will fit perfectly into this system and how others won't, a few more additions and we have every chance of challenging next season. This ain't an average Liverpool squad it's very close to competing with the top teams Reina,Agger,Gerrard,Skrtel,Agger,Johnson have been playing together for a while now unlike other top 4 teams. Add the quality of Suarez that's seven players that could play in any top team. The best signings we can make this summer is keeping hold of that spine.

I'm excited for the start of the season of we come through that tough start anything is possible.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #395: Aug 10, 2012 09:19:32 am
      I'll give a broader views on the game later but I have to say, I disagree with those saying Downing was poor. I actually thought he played very well and seemed to link up effectively with Gerrard and Suarez. Maybe 1 or 2 crosses left a lot to be desired but we usually still made something from them.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #396: Aug 10, 2012 09:21:02 am
      Easy night and a nice welcome back to European nights at home.

Won't get too excited over the performance, we thought we were playing well after the Rabotnicki home qualifier 2 years ago, and we know how that panned out. It was at home against incompetent opposition in pre-season, and will be a different story when the mancs and Arsenal turn up over the coming weeks. Then we'll know where we stand.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #397: Aug 10, 2012 09:25:59 am
      So excited for the new season, can't wait to see us flying! We were awesome!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #398: Aug 10, 2012 09:47:27 am
      Honestly, just to take a comment from JD, I don't think Gomel are THAT poor of a team.  I mean obviously they're not great, but if you watched the first leg, you would see that they have some players that can really impact a game, and if they're organized they're difficult to get around.  I think we were just THAT good tonight.  But I don't want to get carried away, because it's still early days, and we were awful less than one week ago. 

But really.  Anyone who says that was just a "decent" game must not have watched us last season.  It was like night and day.  We occasionally played pass-and-move last season, but it was usually just passing and moving with no real purpose or direction, most of it sideways and backwards even when under no pressure.  A lot of players without bollocks just knocking it around with no desire to go forward.

What we saw last night was something totally different.  It was a mixture of tiki-taka and the more dynamic way that, say, Dortmund play.  And wow was it fun to watch.  I know in the end it was basically a glorified pre-season match, but we really showed some class.  And that was with Downing in the side and Lucas not even anywhere near his best yet.  This could get even better.  If we somehow were able to add Sahin, a great striker and a dynamic winger, I don't think there's any reason we shouldn't be aiming for top four.

What I loved most about the match was that Suarez wasn't doing everything on his own.  Last season we often just gave Suarez the ball and stood around watching, just waiting for him to do something.  Last night he was moving everywhere, but everyone else was moving, too, so the defenders couldn't just focus on him alone.  Stevie was all over the field, Borini had great movement, hell even Downing was like a different player.  Suarez still was spectacular, but it seemed more to be part of a larger attacking force from the team instead of Suarez being our only threat.  I think it bodes really well, and I think it's also really important because he'll be able to conserve energy more often.  Instead of him getting the ball and having to beat three or four people (and inevitably be exhausted after each move), he only had to beat one or two, it freed him up, he didn't have to put as much energy into everything, etc.  It was a really good sign.

We haven't played that well in years, honestly.  The closest we came was spring of 2011 when Kenny came back, we played really well back then, probably the best of that run was away at Fulham where we walloped them 5-2, where Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez ran down the wing and got us a hat trick.  That was great.  But last night... that was something else.  If we play anywhere near that well this season, we are going to be really dangerous.

Can't wait.

Agree with this 100%. We played great, scored some great goals.

All good. !
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #399: Aug 10, 2012 10:08:13 am
      How chuffed must BR be to have Reina between the sticks? There's no better '11th outfield player' in the league.

Skrtel and Agger are the best CDs in the league.

Lucas roving across the width of the pitch making tackles (there's a new signing right there).

Shelvey reminds me of a young Gerrard.

Borini looked like he'd been playing for years for us (now folk know why BR wanted him)

Suarez is the best striker in the Prem

Gerrard, absolutely perfect for this system - such an intelligent player.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #400: Aug 10, 2012 10:31:33 am
      How chuffed must BR be to have Reina between the sticks? There's no better '11th outfield player' in the league.

I think its under estimated how much Rodgers formation will benefit Reina.

Its fair game that he wasn't up to scratch last year but how many goals flew past him from close range as a result of us defending too deep?

A high defensive line will bring out the aggressive nature of his goalkeeping style.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #401: Aug 10, 2012 10:40:00 am
      Have to say as well the most under rated player in the team glen Johnson continues to confound his critics a lot of them actually Liverpool fans. Was excellent again. Will be a revelation in a Rodgers team
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #402: Aug 10, 2012 10:46:17 am
      Basically what Gerrard said:

"It might be taken out of Dannys hands. Its down to the owners, the managers gone on record as saying every player has price, but if it was up to me obviously I want all our best players to stay.

Very tactful Stevie.  He's said similar before and maybe he has come to the conclusion that you have to be more vocal and make the owners understand what football is about (ie not selling your best players).

But back on topic, missed the whole game but from what everyone here is saying it's a job well done with some good signs.  Interesting that during the game I had a mate texting me saying Suarez saying he 'still' can't finish (this was during the first half I think).  I invited him to look at his career stats  ;D.  I need to find the match or some highlights......

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #403: Aug 10, 2012 10:52:33 am
      A good night and grounds for optimism and best of all.....THE RED GOAL NETS ARE BACK  :soccer_h4h:
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,004 posts | 3351 
      Reply #404: Aug 10, 2012 11:39:00 am
      F***ing buzzing, we twatted them from start to finish and thoroughly deserved our win.

There were certain players who disappointed (the number 3 was involved heavily here) but there were more who impressed. Can't sum up in words how happy I am to see Liverpool finally winning European games at Anfield again. It's been far too long.

Overall the quality of play was a much better improvement on last week. And certainly something to build on.

I'm just chuffed and my optimism is growing by the day that this club is returning to where this club belong.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #405: Aug 10, 2012 12:11:59 pm
      Looks like BR has begun linking the midfield with the strikers nicely which was sorely missing last season. The players played with great urgency and purpose and Suarez made the most use of it and created a few chances for himself and the team. Last season it tooked us ages to get into the opposition box. Very happy with the whole team and it can only get better.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #406: Aug 10, 2012 12:15:50 pm
      Delighted I am !!...Thought the work rate was top notch and there was a load of players out there playing for their future career,I think BR mustve just said "Go out there and show me why your a Liverpool player"...I thought the closing down and basic all round play from Lucas was a joy to watch...Suarez looked really sharp and his link up play with Borini and Gerrard looked class...Johnsons goal was brilliant...The only negatives for me was when Adam came on..I'm sorry but he plays like a docker and just threw his weight round...apart from that a great performance and great confidence booster for the season ahead...
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #407: Aug 10, 2012 12:30:31 pm
      HERE WE GO!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #408: Aug 10, 2012 12:39:02 pm
      Really optimistic to hear such glowing reports from some lads here who really are on the ground, our rivals will be altering their game plan.
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #409: Aug 10, 2012 01:10:54 pm
      Very well done! I was impressed by the link between Suarez and Gerrard/Borini. Gerrard had a good game and Lucas was just BOSS! BR needs to add more depth to the squad for the long journey ahead. I am delighted at the way the team played. YNWA!
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #410: Aug 10, 2012 01:59:05 pm
      Trio of Borini, Suarez, and Gerrard was sublime. Movement was top class, link-up play was very fluid and reflected the idea of "tiki-taka" well in my opinion as they found a very nice balance of passing throughout the game. Borini's work rate and speed were both brilliant and his finish was quality.

Shelvey looked comfortable in his position although I think he'd be even better in the hole that Gerrard played in, so once Allen comes in I hope that Jonjo becomes the back-up for the attacking midfielder as I think he could do a job there. Meanwhile Lucas was top class as usual and if he stays fit this season I think he could cement his place as one of the best defensive midfielders in the world.

Backline looked good as usual, Skagger partnership picking up right where they left off while Johnson looked very good and Enrique did his job well. Comfortable game for Reina as well, don't think there is a goalkeeper in all of European football that's better suited to Brendan's style of play than him.

So that leaves me with Downing. He's looked better than he looked last season, however I think that Suarez and Gerrard, and potentially Borini as well are on a completely different level and hopefully Brendan looks to bring in another face who could complete the attack.

On another note, there's Carroll. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with him. I've been a fan of him since day one and have always wanted nothing more than for him to succeed as a Liverpool player. However, I think he would destroy the fluidity of the attack, in fact I think that any player like him would as he's a center striker through and through, yet most of our best play came from when Suarez and Borini were linking up while supported by Gerrard and if you put a big striker (whose not very quick and not very good on the ball) between them I think it'd ruin the flow of play.

So I'm not so sure what kind of role Carroll can play in this side. Hopefully Brendan's got the answer though. At the end of the day I'm just really looking forward to seeing if we can play this way consistently.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #411: Aug 10, 2012 02:07:23 pm
      Have to say as well the most under rated player in the team glen Johnson continues to confound his critics a lot of them actually Liverpool fans. Was excellent again. Will be a revelation in a Rodgers team

YES! Agree with this 100 percent. I'm a big fan of Glen. He's very underrated.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #412: Aug 10, 2012 02:57:02 pm
      Encouraging signs, wouldn't get too ahead of ourselves just yet. Still 3 weeks of the transfer window left to even improve on this :D
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #413: Aug 10, 2012 03:50:05 pm
      I was very impressed with our play last night!!  I realize it was a lower level team, but we played a very good game.  Our movement off the ball was excellent, and our passing was neat and tidy in the build up, and creative and dangerous in the final 3rd.  Suarez, Borini, Gerrard, Lucas, Agger, Skrtel, Johno, and Reina were all excellent!!  Shelvey looked very good aside from a few mistimed tackles, but I love his aggression and effort!! 

I have mixed feelings about Downing and Enrique's performances.  Downing put in a lot of effort and hustle, but he didn't produce much in the way of clear cut chances or a real quality final ball.  Enrique can be too frantic and wasteful in possession at times, and is something he will need to work on. 

The things I have taken away from this game are:

1.  Charlie Adam is not a midfielder who will fit into a Rodgers team.  I expect to see him make way in the coming weeks.  I would throw Jay Spearing into this category as well, but Jay is on lower wages and can be a backup for the more defensive CM position so I think he will stay as a squad player.

2.  I continue to have my doubts that Andy Carrol fits into Rodgers plans.  I know many people say that we need a "Plan B" but I would rather just focus on having a great "Plan A" so that we never have to turn to anything else.  Barca don't have a plan B.....  However, the problem(s) with this are that we will have a hard time getting a decent fee for AC, while also finding a team he is willing to leave for.  Also, we will need to sign another CF if/when he leaves.  I believe that we will need one more top CF who can play both through the middle and as a RF/LF, but it may be difficult to find one who is an ideal fit for Rodgers system and is available for a reasonable price. 

3.  We need another wide player to compete with Downing for a 1st team spot, and I don't think Joe Cole is the player for this.  Affelay on loan would be perfect, but perhaps unrealistic.  Perhaps we are still looking at Dempsey for this.

Overall, it was a good game and many positives to take from it.  I can't wait for West Brom next Saturday!!! 

Quick Reply