Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool 3:0 FC Gomel In game & Post Match Tiki-taka.

Read 28103 times
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Re: Liverpool 3:0 FC Gomel In game & Post Match Tiki-taka.
      Reply #414: Aug 10, 2012 03:51:16 pm
      just watched the game. Suarez was a beast as always, lucas had a solid game too. Agger and skrtel partnership has alot of potential imo.
      One question tho, at almost end of the game. did our supporters boo our own player?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #415: Aug 10, 2012 04:07:05 pm
      There was some discrepancy in the comparitive skill levels last night but how many times have we faultered in games agaist inferior opposition?
      We did the business convincingly which is all we need to know, our new lad scoring is a further boost if one were needed.
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Reply #416: Aug 10, 2012 04:54:10 pm
      Have to say as well the most under rated player in the team glen Johnson continues to confound his critics a lot of them actually Liverpool fans. Was excellent again. Will be a revelation in a Rodgers team

Fully agree, he was one of our best players last season I thought and his form mainly went under the radar probably because of Kyle Walker's emergence (who I believe played no better than Glen) and Micah Richards had a good month or two (and then get dropped because he's inconsistent).
      We all know he can attack but last season and at the Euros he showed he is defensively solid too.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #417: Aug 10, 2012 05:19:31 pm
      Pretty much everything I would have wanted to say has been summed up already; great team performance despite 'lesser' oppo, superb pressing (that resulted in at least one of our goals), good passing and excellent movement from the front 3 and Gerrard. No real negatives, though I thought Shelvey didn't have the best game and was probably lucky not to get sent off too. Suarez is of course phenomenal, he looked possessed. Can't wait to see him rip defences to shreds again this season.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #418: Aug 10, 2012 05:25:11 pm
      Contrast this match thread with last week's. Seemingly a lot can change in 90 minutes.

Great performance.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #419: Aug 10, 2012 07:23:52 pm
      It was very good to see the team move forwards and backwards as a unit.
      The distance between the back/mid/forward lines remained pretty much the same throughout the match, which is something we haven't seen since Rafa.

A good run out, the players look fit and lively, 3 nice goals and a very high tempo pressing and passing game.
      We look like we are 2 months into the season already with the fitness levels displayed.

A sterner test coming on Sunday, but it's about polishing and learning right now so for me the result isn't as important as the performance.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #420: Aug 10, 2012 08:48:20 pm
      Youll never walk alone never seemed to get going at the end. And singing about Chelsea and the mancs was cringey. Other then that I thought the crowd was decent for the majority
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #421: Aug 10, 2012 08:57:58 pm
      Youll never walk alone never seemed to get going at the end. And singing about Chelsea and the mancs was cringey. Other then that I thought the crowd was decent for the majority
      To be honest its struggling to get going most days.
      One of the things needed is to get the atmosphere back and make Anfield intimidating once more.Easier said than done
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #422: Aug 10, 2012 09:11:24 pm
      Just watched the replay of the game and despite the standard of the opposition I thought we played very well.

Some good link up between Borini, Gerrard and Suarez and great to see Lucas get 80 odd minutes under his belt.
      « Last Edit: Aug 10, 2012 09:45:37 pm by srslfc »
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #423: Aug 10, 2012 09:43:51 pm
      Think replacing Shelvey with Allen and possibly another signing with Downing & we have our consistent starting 11 for next season.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #424: Aug 10, 2012 09:49:09 pm
      Thought Liverpool played well on the whole got forward quickly, had plenty of chances, looked solid at the back, the only thing lacking was someone putting a head on some of the crosses that come in from the wings.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #425: Aug 10, 2012 10:47:21 pm
      What I loved most about the match was that Suarez wasn't doing everything on his own.  Last season we often just gave Suarez the ball and stood around watching, just waiting for him to do something.  Last night he was moving everywhere, but everyone else was moving, too

That's a good observation mate. The movement of the front players last night was excellent. Gerrard playing further forward really helped because whenver Luis drop deep he was then willing to run beyond him which is a nightmare for opposing centre-halves. Also, Borini was keen to get infield and he picked the right moments to do it (usually when Luis was marauding in other areas). Downing (I suspect) was asked to play a little wider on the other side but he linked up well with Jonno on a few occasions and also did ok I thought.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #426: Aug 10, 2012 10:51:03 pm
      That's a good observation mate. The movement of the front players last night was excellent.

It was and after watching the game it shows why Brendan doesn't seem to fancy Carroll.

I just don't see him fitting into the style of football we played last night.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #427: Aug 10, 2012 11:16:36 pm
      It was and after watching the game it shows why Brendan doesn't seem to fancy Carroll.

I just don't see him fitting into the style of football we played last night.
      I'm just watching it again for the second time and i have to agree with you that Andy won"t fit in to that type of play , cut our losses i think and move him on, as much as i like him the club comes first.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #428: Aug 10, 2012 11:32:12 pm
      I'm just watching it again for the second time and i have to agree with you that Andy won"t fit in to that type of play , cut our losses i think and move him on, as much as i like him the club comes first.

He is a good player but I just can't see how he fits into Brendan's style.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #429: Aug 10, 2012 11:54:09 pm
      He is a good player but I just can't see how he fits into Brendan's style.
      The was a few crosses last night that no one got near last night ?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #430: Aug 10, 2012 11:57:52 pm
      Honestly, just to take a comment from JD, I don't think Gomel are THAT poor of a team.

I still think we made them look great in the first leg.  Not to mention their terrific support at home.  It's always tricky to compare obscure foreign leagues to Premier League teams.  They were definitely better than a pub footy team, but I reckon they would struggle in League 2.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #431: Aug 10, 2012 11:58:42 pm
      The was a few crosses last night that no one got near last night ?

That may well be but a front three/four who have fluid movement and interchange is not the place for Andy Carroll.

I'm no big critic of Carroll as I think in the right team, playing the right way, he can be a great asset but I just don't see how he fits with how Brendan wants us to play.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #432: Aug 11, 2012 12:00:21 am
      I still think we made them look great in the first leg.  Not to mention their terrific support at home.  It's always tricky to compare obscure foreign leagues to Premier League teams.  They were definitely better than a pub footy team, but I reckon they would struggle in League 2.

I didn't see the first leg but have to agree that they didn't look up to much at Anfield.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #433: Aug 11, 2012 12:04:11 am
      That may well be but a front three/four who have fluid movement and interchange is not the place for Andy Carroll.

I'm no big critic of Carroll as I think in the right team, playing the right way, he can be a great asset but I just don't see how he fits with how Brendan wants us to play.

But we are going to need a back up plan for when the passing and moving style isn't quite working mate. Also without trying to compare us to the past, when we were conquering Europe for the first time we played a pass and move style with a big burley centre forward up named John Toshack
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #434: Aug 11, 2012 12:07:14 am
      But we are going to need a back up plan for when the passing and moving style isn't quite working mate. Also without trying to compare us to the past, when we were conquering Europe for the first time we played a pass and move style with a big burley centre forward up named John Toshack

It's a fair enough point Billy but I just have a feeling that Brendan doesn't really want to resort to a plan b and if a suitable offer comes in for Andy he will be off.

If he is still here I really don't see him being used to much this season.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #435: Aug 11, 2012 12:10:24 am
      It's a fair enough point Billy but I just have a feeling that Brendan doesn't really want to resort to a plan b and if a suitable offer comes in for Andy he will be off.

Agree with this. You only have to listen to the guy speak on the subject. He is VERY passionate and committed about playing a certain way. This plan B where by the lads play more directly is in the imagination of us fans only. a tleast that's how I see it.

It's a good point on Toshack but the big man little man 2 up combo (in fact any 2 up combo) simply doesn't seem to have a sustained place in the game anymore.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #436: Aug 11, 2012 12:12:40 am
      Agree with this. You only have to listen to the guy speak on the subject. He is VERY passionate and committed about playing a certain way. This plan B where by the lads play more directly is in the imagination of us fans only. a tleast that's how I see it.

It's a good point on Toshack but the big man little man 2 up combo (in fact any 2 up combo) simply doesn't seem to have a sustained place in the game anymore.

Agree Scott.

I think some managers see a plan B as a weakness in their ideas and philosophy and Brendan strikes me as that type of guy.

Quick Reply