Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Liverpool 3:0 FC Gomel In game & Post Match Tiki-taka.

Read 28306 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Re: Liverpool 3:0 FC Gomel In game & Post Match Tiki-taka.
      Reply #437: Aug 11, 2012 12:14:41 am
      It's a fair enough point Billy but I just have a feeling that Brendan doesn't really want to resort to a plan b and if a suitable offer comes in for Andy he will be off.

If he is still here I really don't see him being used to much this season.

Well then I think we'll be left wanting at times this year because every side needs a different dimension - that's why Arsenal win nothing.

I do believe though that if Carroll stays, he won't get much game time. And if a decent offer comes in, we will certainly let him talk to another club. But I still think that we need that option for when things are going rough and with Kuyt and Bellamy both sold now, we're lacking options up front as it is. We can't expect Suarez and Borini to do an entire season on their own.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,162 posts | 4903 
      Reply #438: Aug 11, 2012 12:18:05 am
      Well then I think we'll be left wanting at times this year because every side needs a different dimension - that's why Arsenal win nothing.

I do believe though that if Carroll stays, he won't get much game time. And if a decent offer comes in, we will certainly let him talk to another club. But I still think that we need that option for when things are going rough and with Kuyt and Bellamy both sold now, we're lacking options up front as it is. We can't expect Suarez and Borini to do an entire season on their own.

Agree mate and we do need another option in the forward areas but that probably rests on Carroll being sold.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Andy if he is still here come September.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,598 posts | 2156 
      Reply #439: Aug 11, 2012 12:34:11 am

You're not wrong, Arsenal especially have been crying out for a plan B for a number of years but Wenger has stayed true to his philosophy throughout his time there. Although, they never really had a plan B when they were winning stuff. they still played the same way but they were a tougher more physical side when they needed to be (ie. Viera, Petit, Elbows Bergkamp etc).

I guess the trick for Rodgers is to produce a side that are so good at plan A that there is very little need to have a complete change-up in the bag.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #440: Aug 11, 2012 01:58:19 am
      You're not wrong, Arsenal especially have been crying out for a plan B for a number of years but Wenger has stayed true to his philosophy throughout his time there. Although, they never really had a plan B when they were winning stuff. they still played the same way but they were a tougher more physical side when they needed to be (ie. Viera, Petit, Elbows Bergkamp etc).

I guess the trick for Rodgers is to produce a side that are so good at plan A that there is very little need to have a complete change-up in the bag.

But Arsenal could play differently mate, even if not different personnel. If the one touch flowing play weren't working, they could go more direct and knock it over the top for Henry's pace. Something which we lack badly, so our plan B has to be the aerial threat of Carroll (in my opinion). And I'm all for us trying to revert to us playing the pass and move style we made famous but sometimes you need that other option - either in system or in personnel or sometimes both.

If we can produce a side as good as the Liverpool side in 87-88 (the greatest side ever) then great but I'm not sure we're going to get anywhere near that standard just yet so we will have to have a different approach at times for the next year, maybe even two or three until Brendan has the side he wants.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #441: Aug 11, 2012 02:08:09 am
      Quote from bigears
      i have to agree with you that Andy won"t fit in to that type of play , cut our losses i think and move him on, as much as i like him the club comes first.

He never made it into our style of play. We want(ed) to play pass-and-move, he is a target man. He just didn't fit in the jigsaw.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #442: Aug 11, 2012 02:17:45 am
      He fits into pass and move perfectly fine as long as the rest of the players are willing to put it on the F***ing floor to him. Carra and others seemed to have issues with this last season.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #443: Aug 11, 2012 02:18:20 am
      He never made it into our style of play. We want(ed) to play pass-and-move, he is a target man. He just didn't fit in the jigsaw.

That's why he was arguably one of our best players for the last six to eight weeks of the season? Carroll can fit into a pass and move system, just like John Toshack did in the 70s. The trick is not to expect the big man (Carroll/Toshack) to be creative and flair like his strike partner (Suarez/Keegan) but instead allow him to play to his strengths which is to cause problems in and around the box for when the ball goes out wide.

Now obviously there's a huge difference in quality between Stevie Heighway and Ian Callaghan crossing a ball to Stuey Downing and Jordan Henderson but that's probably why Toshack could fit into the system so well. When the ball went out wide in the 70s, we had two wide men who could put the ball on a sixpence, now when it goes out wide we have two wide men who couldn't put it in the 18 yard box consistently.

Carroll could, and in my opinion does, have a role to play in a pass and move system.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #444: Aug 11, 2012 05:48:19 am
      Great to watch a game again.  Enjoyed the game, and thought the movement was pretty good on the whole.  While playing a possession game mwe did try to get the ball forward quite quickly on a number of occasions, and it is this kind of variety that will be needed during the season.  Although he did not set the game on fire, I thought Downing looked a much better player than he did for most of last season - he certainly seems to be a confidence player.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #445: Aug 11, 2012 10:38:35 am
      Really enjoyed the game the other night we were excellent overall.
      Made up for Fabio the pirate getting his opening goal lets hope plenty follow.
      Gerrard linked well with Suarez who was just brilliant. He reminds me of
      Johan Cruyff from when i was a young kid & you can't really get much better than that.
      Marvellous to see Lucas back he looked his calm level steady cool self.
      Well done to Carra 700 not out Legend.
      Well done to the Kop myself included who made sure Danny Agger knew what we think of him.
      £10 for a game!!!!!!! Well done LFC what a nice change.

Have to say i don't recall any anti utd/chelsea songs being sung on the kop think
      someone has made that one up.

Lastly well done Johnson what a hit son..
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #446: Aug 11, 2012 02:33:57 pm
      He fits into pass and move perfectly fine as long as the rest of the players are willing to put it on the F***ing floor to him. Carra and others seemed to have issues with this last season.

Exactly.
      How many times last season did we see him screaming at team mates to play it into feet.
      Yes he plays as a target man, but for those who suggest he is one dimensional, I'll just say "Wait and see"
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #447: Aug 11, 2012 02:45:39 pm
      Really gd performance , more of the same please

Ynwa
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #448: Aug 11, 2012 02:57:26 pm

Have to say i don't recall any anti utd/chelsea songs being sung on the kop think
      someone has made that one up.

Hate to tell you mate but I was on the Kop myself and a good few people around me joined in with these chants, including "Chelsea Rent boys!".
      PG LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      • JFT96
      Reply #449: Aug 11, 2012 07:36:20 pm
      I was a great match, I was on the Kop, and I heard some anti-Chelsea chanting, but that aside I thought Borini's link up play and performance was very good.

YNWA.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,149 posts | 8540 
      Reply #450: Aug 12, 2012 03:23:06 pm
      And singing about Chelsea and the mancs was cringey. Other then that I thought the crowd was decent for the majority

Heard the Chelsea sh*te clearly over the tv, the minute those cu*ts won the European Cup, that song wanted ditching. Sadly it'll always be the same for these types of games, some of  the chants are unfortunately very cringeworthy.

Quick Reply