Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 199613 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Joe Allen Player Thread
      Reply #1081: Mar 31, 2014 10:44:37 pm
      What was his name again ?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1082: Mar 31, 2014 11:01:20 pm

Who actually was he? He clearly wasn't brand new to the forum, was he that Carlos Qickaball or something?
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #1083: Mar 31, 2014 11:06:49 pm

Who actually was he? He clearly wasn't brand new to the forum, was he that Carlos Qickaball or something?
      He was defo very aware of the forum and it's users , now that you mention Carlos it looks about right or macred without the copy and paste sh*t .
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1084: Apr 01, 2014 07:22:59 am
      I think the contentious point that sparked the discussion off that saw manwithnoname banned (harshly IMO) was the adverb "dropped or drop".

When I think of the word 'drop' in football, I relate it to a poor performance by a player in a previous game and him being dropped for a replacement to come in.

However, that most definitely wasn't the case with Allen, as someone has rightly pointed out that was a tactical decision from Rodgers. So when it's a tactical decision is the adverb 'dropped' still applicable or should a better suited word be given to the player making way? Like, tactirop  ;D

The "tactirop" of Allen was made I think because of the high line Tottenham play with, Rodgers is a meticulous planner and often picks a team, strategy and formation based on the possibilities of exploiting the opposition. He got (again) the tactics spot on, I wonder like West Ham whether he'll pick Allen, Sterling or Coutinho for our trip to Upton Park. I don't know how they play but Rodgers does and he'll be looking at ways of beating them with the personnel at his disposal - IF one of those three are left out I think we can all agree that the player being left out isn't "dropped" but tactiropped.  ;D
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #1085: Apr 01, 2014 09:48:54 am

Can't say I'm either surprised or disappointed. His type sap the energy of reasonable debate and banter.

Well done Ayrton77 - have to say you guys pick them all off eventually.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1086: Apr 01, 2014 12:56:00 pm
      Can't say I'm either surprised or disappointed. His type sap the energy of reasonable debate and banter.

Well done Ayrton77 - have to say you guys pick them all off eventually.

Not too sure about that.

You're still here ;)

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #1087: Apr 01, 2014 04:54:03 pm
      Not too sure about that.

You're still here ;)

Trust me - I'm more surprised than you....but then again I have been on best behaviour for while.

I'm just biding my time till we win the league and I carpet bomb this place with a detailed explanation of how this is really down to arl owl-face and the cowboys.....credit where it's due!!! 

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1088: Apr 01, 2014 05:48:05 pm
      I am still unsure about Joe. When he was signed I was delighted, I had seen him a few times playing for Swansea and he looked ideal. Since his arrival however he has mainly failed to impress with some insipid performances interspaced with some decent performances. Nothing I have seen up to now makes me think he was a great signing, he just doesn't have enough impact on games for me so far. 

I still have hopes that eventually he will come good but I think we could do better, with a bigger, stronger player who actually creates or destroys rather than someone who at best just "retains possession" and at worst just disappears and has no impact.

Up to now I would rate him as a 5 out of 10 player rather than the 7 out of 10 player we need. I think there is a player in there... I am just not confident that we will ever see him or even if he is the type of player we really need with our new more direct system. 
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1089: Apr 02, 2014 05:46:47 pm
      I am still unsure about Joe. When he was signed I was delighted, I had seen him a few times playing for Swansea and he looked ideal. Since his arrival however he has mainly failed to impress with some insipid performances interspaced with some decent performances. Nothing I have seen up to now makes me think he was a great signing, he just doesn't have enough impact on games for me so far. 

I still have hopes that eventually he will come good but I think we could do better, with a bigger, stronger player who actually creates or destroys rather than someone who at best just "retains possession" and at worst just disappears and has no impact.

Up to now I would rate him as a 5 out of 10 player rather than the 7 out of 10 player we need. I think there is a player in there... I am just not confident that we will ever see him or even if he is the type of player we really need with our new more direct system. 

Yeah but your not even convinced with Brendan so what chance does Allen have  ;)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1090: Apr 02, 2014 05:51:00 pm
      Yeah but your not even convinced with Brendan so what chance does Allen have  ;)

Brendan  convinced me a while ago.... Allen has not.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1091: Apr 02, 2014 07:06:59 pm
      Allen stats :-

Games played 27  mins played 1919

Goals                      0
      total shots on target 0
      successful crosses    0
      Assists                    0
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1092: Apr 02, 2014 10:15:47 pm
      Allen stats :-

Games played 27  mins played 1919

total shots on target 0
      successful crosses    0

It would be nice and preferable if Allen was to improve that but that doesn't at all show some of the dirty work in possession he has had to do. The lack of appreciation in what I believe to be a useful cog in our proceedings does annoy me a bit.

As a squad player I would not at all like to see him go and his detractors remind me of Darren Fletcher's detractors at Man Utd. Just because he wasn't pulling out the obvious stats like above that the FIFA generation seem obsessed by, he was deemed useless. Yet he's been at Man Utd for years and has been an superb squad player while he has been there. I still remember his performance against Arsenal in the CL a few years back where he was superb in unsettling the Arsenal midfield, helping Man Utd dominate there. Great display. Every team needs these players and Allen does that role well.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1093: Apr 03, 2014 01:46:47 am
      Sorry,  I posted last seasons stats for Joe by mistake before. This years stats :-

Games played 19  mins played 1094

total shots on target 4
      successful crosses    0

Two seasons 0 goals, 0 assists.

Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #1094: Apr 03, 2014 03:20:16 am
      It's not controversial. I said he would be dropped for this game after last week, and Sterling would take his place. I was right. It wasn't exactly a surprise either. Most people said the same.

He won't be back in the starting XI any time soon either. Also not a surprise, because Sterling is miles better and Allen isn't very good

Allen has been great for us, he has been a crucial part in our winning streak, offering that tactical variety that has outwitted teams.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1095: Apr 03, 2014 07:58:29 am
      Not that it matters much because as Mr Shankly says he brings other strengths to the squad than just goals but he did actually score 2 goals last season for the sake of accuracy.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1096: Apr 03, 2014 08:06:02 am
      Not that it matters much because as Mr Shankly says he brings other strengths to the squad than just goals but he did actually score 2 goals last season for the sake of accuracy.

The stats are for league games which even an idiot could have concluded .... just for the sake of accuracy.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #1097: Apr 03, 2014 08:22:18 am
      Sorry,  I posted last seasons stats for Joe by mistake before. This years stats :-

Games played 19  mins played 1094

total shots on target 4
      successful crosses    0

Two seasons 0 goals, 0 assists.

Just got in from a long night at work.  I would think those numbers are pretty similar to Lucas' over the past couple of years. 

Allen isn't the Welsh Xavi.  He's the Welsh Lucas.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1098: Apr 03, 2014 08:48:13 am
      The stats are for league games which even an idiot could have concluded .... just for the sake of accuracy.

Thanks Einstein you really need to make things more clear for those of us idiots not on your wavelength, otherwise people might conclude you have some sort of agenda against Allen!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1099: Apr 03, 2014 09:49:29 am
      Thanks Einstein you really need to make things more clear for those of us idiots not on your wavelength, otherwise people might conclude you have some sort of agenda against Allen!

Why do I always read your posts as if an angry teenager is posting them?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1100: Apr 03, 2014 10:43:09 am
      Its not just teenagers who take umbrage to being called an idiot.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #1101: Apr 03, 2014 10:55:54 am
      Why do I always read your posts as if an angry teenager is posting them?

A prerequisite of an agenda is that you view any differing opinions as unbalanced.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1102: Apr 03, 2014 11:02:39 am
      Its not just teenagers who take umbrage to being called an idiot.

He didn't call you an idiot but like I said, I read all your posts that way.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1103: Apr 03, 2014 11:13:05 am
      quote author=fields of anny rd link=topic=43458.msg1598540#msg1598540 date=1396519359]
      He didn't call you an idiot but like I said, I read all your posts that way.
      [/quote]

I suppose that's one of the vagaries of forums every person reading a thread will interpret in their own unique way. Any way no big deal we are all Reds at the end of the day even if Allen is a bit sh*te 
       ;D

Quick Reply