Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 199517 times
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Re: Joe Allen Player Thread
      Reply #1656: May 14, 2015 08:39:25 am
      Jonjo Shelvey is way better than Joe Allen, i'll swap them in a heartbeat.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,533 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1657: May 14, 2015 09:01:25 am
      Jonjo was too rekless though, gave away way too many fouls, same as charlie Adam, his tackling is shocking. ;D.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #1658: May 14, 2015 09:11:13 am
      Yes but he was young and hungry, remember how Stevie was when he first broke in the team.

He's now much mature and currently is a better player than Joe Allen, always thought we made a mistake by selling him.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,533 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1659: May 14, 2015 10:36:17 am
      I know what your saying. He is much better than he was.

But was one of those I think BR did right by the player sent him away to play every week, I think we have 1st refusal on him though if we wanted him back now.
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #1660: Jun 09, 2015 02:47:45 pm
      He wasn't outstanding he was just a bit more competent than he'd previously appeared to be.

Being outstanding against Israel, with all due respect, doesn't make you good enough to wear Liverpool Red.

As it was on day one - the jersey is too heavy and the job is too big.

He's not the problem, but he is a symptom.

As a rule I don't slaughter players - and I'm sure he's nice to his mum - but we need to get real with a few of this squad. Joe is just the most glaringly obvious.

24 days later...

"He was very much improved tonight Luke. I've always said I think he's a nice kid and a good player.

Well done Joe - the jersey fitted you tonight."

The face of fickleness.Sorry to call you out Scotia,but this sort of thing is what makes having intelligent,coherent,objective conversations about football difficult.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #1661: Jun 09, 2015 02:52:40 pm
      24 days later...

"He was very much improved tonight Luke. I've always said I think he's a nice kid and a good player.

The face of fickleness.Sorry to call you out Scotia,but this sort of thing is what makes having intelligent,coherent,objective conversations about football difficult.

Have you really searched back over two months just to call someone out?

Pathetic.
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #1662: Jun 09, 2015 02:53:11 pm
      Still not good enough,still not consistent enough,still mostly irrelevant.A completely average player,how he is a constant in a Liverpool football club midfield is beyond me.Then again,Jordan Henderson is our captain...Rather have Charlie Adam,Shelvey,or Lucas in his place any day of the week.
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #1663: Jun 09, 2015 02:58:38 pm
      Have you really searched back over two months just to call someone out?

Pathetic.

Nope.Just searched back two pages.I always read at least the last 3 pages of posts in a thread.Was going to post my own assesment on the player and this just stood out.Peace mate.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1664: Jun 09, 2015 03:12:20 pm
      Nope.Just searched back two pages.I always read at least the last 3 pages of posts in a thread.Was going to post my own assesment on the player and this just stood out.Peace mate.

Fickle or inconsistent.

People moan about people not giving the credit where it's deserved then they moan about getting on players backs at all. Now when you do give the credit you're told you're fickle when the reality is Joe is horribly inconsistent and his performances where he earns the credit are surrounded by those where he shouldn't even be on the pitch.

So rather than fickle I'd just give Scotia the credit for balancing his criticism with credit and then coming to a conclusion that most of us share that despite Joe's occasional good performances they don't outweigh the negatives enough to persist with him and it's now plenty time enough to replace him.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #1665: Jun 09, 2015 04:34:13 pm
      24 days later...

Call away nutkins - I don't think it's remotely fickle.

I've said many times I do think he's a good player - but he's never ever been good enough to make a consistent impact.

On that night he did well - I gave credit. No problem with that.

I also happen to believe he's a nice guy - just from stuff I've read.

My overall impression has always been that the jersey was too big and too heavy. Nothing has changed.

In summary I still think that I struggle to recall a player surviving - and playing regularly - for longer whilst offering so little.

That's my view - nothing changed.

Oh and nutkins......funny how this comes just after your car crash of a post in the Kenny thread......just saying  :jackoff:
      « Last Edit: Jun 09, 2015 05:48:05 pm by Scotia »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1666: Jun 09, 2015 09:14:50 pm
      Second in to Borini ?

Thought Boyo Xavi should be top of the threads .....

;D
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #1667: Jun 22, 2015 09:49:49 am
      Call away nutkins - I don't think it's remotely fickle.

I've said many times I do think he's a good player - but he's never ever been good enough to make a consistent impact.

On that night he did well - I gave credit. No problem with that.

I also happen to believe he's a nice guy - just from stuff I've read.

My overall impression has always been that the jersey was too big and too heavy. Nothing has changed.

In summary I still think that I struggle to recall a player surviving - and playing regularly - for longer whilst offering so little.

That's my view - nothing changed.

Oh and nutkins......funny how this comes just after your car crash of a post in the Kenny thread......just saying  :jackoff:

I guess I just focused on you first saying he had only just been more competent than before (ouch) ,that being good against Israel wasn't good enough to wear a Liverpool shirt and that from day one you thought the shirt was too heavy for him.That you usually don't slaughter players but we need to get real regarding our squad and he was a symptom of the problem at our club.

And then on the next page saying you always thought he was a good player and a nice guy. Not trying to pick a fight mate,just read your last 2 posts before mine and see how it reads from one to the next.Hats off to you for being objective and giving credit where it's due,I just think after giving a negative appraisal of a player it would make sense that you start off a positive one with acknowledging your previous thoughts on him.I'm just basing myself on those 2 posts,just find it hard to reconcile what you said in the first one with then saying you always thought he was a good player.That would mean you think he was good at Swansea because he hadn't the weight of the red shirt,fair enough.But you just said you always thought he was good,period.Which reads "good in a red shirt",which you clearly didn't think so on the previous post.

And now you say you've previously said he was good but he's never been good enough to consistently make an impact...Ummmm...

Can we agree then,to say he's a good enough player for Swansea or a non-top team but not for us,and that he has very rarely been good enough for us?
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1668: Jun 22, 2015 12:32:50 pm
      Surley we can sell him now we've got Milner and with Can almost certain to start playing in Midfield!

we just dont have a need for him if we have a massive amount of injuries we have lads in the U21 better than him like Rossiter who if need be can do a job in fact they will do a better job and are local lads. this was a waste of money then and the longer we keep him the lower his sell on fee gets.

move him on ASAP
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #1669: Jun 22, 2015 05:49:25 pm
      I guess I just focused on you first saying he had only just been more competent than before (ouch) ,that being good against Israel wasn't good enough to wear a Liverpool shirt and that from day one you thought the shirt was too heavy for him.That you usually don't slaughter players but we need to get real regarding our squad and he was a symptom of the problem at our club.

And then on the next page saying you always thought he was a good player and a nice guy. Not trying to pick a fight mate,just read your last 2 posts before mine and see how it reads from one to the next.Hats off to you for being objective and giving credit where it's due,I just think after giving a negative appraisal of a player it would make sense that you start off a positive one with acknowledging your previous thoughts on him.I'm just basing myself on those 2 posts,just find it hard to reconcile what you said in the first one with then saying you always thought he was a good player.That would mean you think he was good at Swansea because he hadn't the weight of the red shirt,fair enough.But you just said you always thought he was good,period.Which reads "good in a red shirt",which you clearly didn't think so on the previous post.

And now you say you've previously said he was good but he's never been good enough to consistently make an impact...Ummmm...

Can we agree then,to say he's a good enough player for Swansea or a non-top team but not for us,and that he has very rarely been good enough for us?

You're debating with yourself kid.

He is a good player, but over a season nowhere good enough for Liverpool.

That said, unlike some players we've had, I've always had the impression that he plays "balls to the metal" to the limit of his abilities and gives 100% of what he has to offer.

The lesson here kid is to judge (if you feel you're in a position to?!) over a broad spectrum of a poster's offerings.....not just the last two you find.

Over and out.......hope you didn't sweat too much on that response......it's only football.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #1670: Jun 23, 2015 07:00:42 am
      Surley we can sell him now we've got Milner and with Can almost certain to start playing in Midfield!

we just dont have a need for him if we have a massive amount of injuries we have lads in the U21 better than him like Rossiter who if need be can do a job in fact they will do a better job and are local lads. this was a waste of money then and the longer we keep him the lower his sell on fee gets.

move him on ASAP

He won't leave as long as Rodgers is the manager.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,533 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1671: Jul 03, 2015 12:26:12 pm
      Joe Allen is expected to also sign a new deal.

The Welshman still has two years left on his current Reds deal, but talks over a new one are ongoing, and it is unlikely that there will be any complication. He too is due back at Melwood on Monday, along with the majority of the Reds’ first-team squad.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,694 posts | 892 
      Reply #1672: Jul 03, 2015 04:38:18 pm
      why the F**k is he getting a new contract? favrotism at its best.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1673: Jul 03, 2015 04:45:04 pm
      I still think joe is a good player and will become a far better one over time.
      Yes, he hasn't set the world alight but I think he is used as a bit of a scapegoat due to BR signing him so early on, the cost and singing his praises before he had even played for us
      I think he always gives his all, is pretty tidy on the ball, doesn't shirk situations and never causes us any on or off field drama.
      That in itself isn't enough to warrant a place in the first team but I feel that this season we will see a vastly improved player.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1674: Jul 03, 2015 11:52:35 pm
      will become a far better one over time.

How much time? He's going into his 4th season with us and hasn't even remotely justified his fee so far.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #1675: Jul 04, 2015 08:33:30 am
      Good wee player but his shyness and low confidence, combined with lightweight frame prone to niggles will probably never allow to fulfill Joes fairly high potential.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1676: Jul 06, 2015 04:49:41 pm
      a decent lower half of the table player but not a team fighting for top 4 and CL type player. waste of money to add to the long list of players we never should have bought or needed at the time. what's his role DM/CAM not sure he just seems to run round trying to get his stats up for most completed passes and not really being productive with any of them.

hopefully we can sell him this summer or worse case loan him out a season and assess then its good shop window time that way
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #1677: Jul 09, 2015 07:11:54 am
      You're debating with yourself kid.

He is a good player, but over a season nowhere good enough for Liverpool.

That said, unlike some players we've had, I've always had the impression that he plays "balls to the metal" to the limit of his abilities and gives 100% of what he has to offer.

The lesson here kid is to judge (if you feel you're in a position to?!) over a broad spectrum of a poster's offerings.....not just the last two you find.

Over and out.......hope you didn't sweat too much on that response......it's only football.

I think the problem is just confusion from what you really meant in your last post mate (you won´t make me call you "kid" back  ;)).I asked you a straightforward question: "Do you think he was just good for Swansea and not good enough for us?".I suppose you answered in the positive by saying he is a good player but not good enough for Liverpool.So we have that.Then you say you think he has always given his all with us while thinking "from day one" that the shirt was too heavy for him.So either for you the shirt being heavy does not relate to workrate or desire just quality,fair enough,or from one post to the next you didn´t think the shirt was heavy anymore.

My whole point is that you went from killing the lad in one post,where you specifically said that from day one you always thought the shirt was too heavy for him (which implies a timeline from the moment he first started playing for us to the moment you posted that,which renders past posts about him after he wore red unnecesary to read to get your assesment of him unless you lied there) to saying you´ve always thought the lad´s a good player,without clarifying that he´s not good enough for Liverpool,like you just specifically said now.Again,try reading those 2 posts as if someone else had written them.

So now,apparently,the issue is clear.I take back my judgement of fickleness (yes,I will always feel the need to judge fickleness harshly,and yes,I can be wrong) and chalk it up to confusion.Didn´t sweat too much on these responses as they are just logical conclusions and reasonable questions stated in an objective manner to a perceived issue.Issue apparently was nonexistent but I always enjoy a nice objective argument (not fight).Peace mate  :)
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,533 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1678: Jul 09, 2015 07:52:09 am
      Don't see the problem with Joe Allen, very good player. Gives 100%, good lad etc.

OK probably a few better players in the squad, but he is an experienced international, whom plays for wales who btw just beat the no.1 rated team in the world Belgium, wales are 1 spot behind ENgerlund in the fifa rankings now, so he is probably on a par with most england midfielders.

Bit of snobbery I think form some about Joe Allen, Ive seen him have good & bad games just like most players, but always puts the effort in.

SDuring some of the terrible games last season I remember Joe being 1 of the decent performers in quite a few games, then seeing him get slaughtere on twitter etc. sometimes think folk watch different games.

Quick Reply