Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 199813 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6386 
      Re: Joe Allen Player Thread
      Reply #1702: Jul 12, 2015 12:01:30 am
      Allen's horrible....

bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #1703: Jul 12, 2015 12:14:23 am
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1704: Jul 12, 2015 12:18:33 am

Haha...I know...damn those statistics!!!!
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #1705: Jul 12, 2015 12:24:48 am
      Haha...I know...damn those statistics!!!!
      F**k it you're right , Joe's got it covered . He's a bastion of invincibility and i feel much better now known he's ours .

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1706: Jul 12, 2015 12:30:05 am

It's a bit harder to make tackles and interceptions when your team has the ball for a majority of the time. Please don't compare those two :D it's not even a competition as to who's better.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #1707: Jul 12, 2015 12:46:58 am
      It's a bit harder to make tackles and interceptions when your team has the ball for a majority of the time. Please don't compare those two :D it's not even a competition as to who's better.

The Welsh Xavi takes it, all the way to the bank.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #1708: Jul 12, 2015 01:03:14 am
      The Welsh Xavi takes it, all the way to the bank.
      Praise be brother , i have to pinch myself every time so as not to think it's all a dream . But it's true Joe Allen is a LFC player and i feel rest assured he's there protecting our defence and breaking up play willy nilly .

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1709: Jul 12, 2015 01:07:47 am
      Praise be brother , i have to pinch myself every time so as not to think it's all a dream . But it's true Joe Allen is a LFC player and i feel rest assured he's there protecting our defence and breaking up play willy nilly .

You won't have to worry, Joe  likely isn't going to feature much this year I'd bet but you at least don't have to act like a tit about a player that wears the LFC shirt and does his best for the club. 
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #1710: Jul 12, 2015 12:02:45 pm
      Its unfair on Bastian to be compared with a player of Joe Allen's calliber.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1711: Jul 12, 2015 12:07:41 pm
      The fact that we were conceding goals for fun and were outplayed in midfield most times than not are clues that he's not deserving a starting place at us and surely not in the role Rodgers is using him, i repeat myself, he doesn't have the qualities to be a DM.

I think you might be confused fella.
      First off you disputed that Allen played as a DM when that is clearly the case, and now you want to move the goalposts and say that he's not good enough, which is a whole different discussion.

Which one is it?
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #1712: Jul 12, 2015 12:20:12 pm
      I think you might be confused fella.
      First off you disputed that Allen played as a DM when that is clearly the case, and now you want to move the goalposts and say that he's not good enough, which is a whole different discussion.

Which one is it?

I said he isn't a DM, doesn't have the qualities to be one ! It's the same thing mate, what i imply when i say he's not having what it takes to be a DM ? That the DM position isn't suited for him and he shouldn't be played there.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1713: Jul 12, 2015 12:24:10 pm
      I said he isn't a DM, doesn't have the qualities to be one ! It's the same thing.

No fella, you said he doesn't play in the DM position, which is clearly wrong.
      Then you try and shift the goalposts by saying he can't play that position, again, clearly wrong.

Whatever, your opinion is your opinion, just as mine is mine, and imo he does a decent job in there that people don't notice.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #1714: Jul 13, 2015 10:34:28 am
      Good player, just not top 4 quality. Would be a player of the season for a team like stoke, southampton, swansea, or Everton.

I love his attitude but think he should be replaced with someone better in the same mould....Gary Medel? :D
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1715: Jul 13, 2015 11:03:05 am
      I don't see Allen as a DM either; but out of all his qualities (which are limited) his game probably suits, or should adapt better to the DM.

That doesn't mean he should be one though. He's kind of a 'limbo' midfielder for me and his (lack of) ability/style/presence is unable to nail him down to a fixed or regular position. In saying that, he can press a bit which would see him play away from the DM role and further up a bit, and can he play in tight areas; but he has nothing of substantial quality to back this up IMO.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #1716: Jul 13, 2015 10:58:38 pm
      I don't see Allen as a DM either; but out of all his qualities (which are limited) his game probably suits, or should adapt better to the DM.

That doesn't mean he should be one though. He's kind of a 'limbo' midfielder for me and his (lack of) ability/style/presence is unable to nail him down to a fixed or regular position. In saying that, he can press a bit which would see him play away from the DM role and further up a bit, and can he play in tight areas; but he has nothing of substantial quality to back this up IMO.

As Swab said on a previous post his best football is in a midfield three set up like Brendan played at Swansea although he wasn't a DM there as Britton played as the deepest and Allen was the next up, a second volante if you like, who linked the base of the midfield with the furthest forward, most often Gylfi. His role was to get the ball and keep it moving and as I said link defense with attack but not be involved as much in the final third.

It's still his best position and I think Brendan may well go to this system more in the coming season but Joe will still find himself as 'first sub' for either of the two deeper midfield roles.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1717: Jul 13, 2015 11:04:53 pm
      As Swab said on a previous post his best football is in a midfield three set up like Brendan played at Swansea although he wasn't a DM there as Britton played as the deepest and Allen was the next up, a second volante if you like, who linked the base of the midfield with the furthest forward, most often Gylfi. His role was to get the ball and keep it moving and as I said link defense with attack but not be involved as much in the final third.

It's still his best position and I think Brendan may well go to this system more in the coming season but Joe will still find himself as 'first sub' for either of the two deeper midfield roles.

Agreed Si, it's clearly his best position but I'd honestly say even there he's proven too often that he hasn't got the necessary skill nor influence to truly command a role in the first XI. A decent squad player who gets on with his job like a proper pro but personally believe the challenge of this level is just a touch above him. I'd have no problem seeing him replaced but we knew with it being one of Brendan's first signings and for such a fee he was likely to at least get a squad role which he will do an average job for average Joe.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1718: Jul 14, 2015 12:09:42 am
      No matter what his best role is which ever one he's luck to be asked to perform here he needs to up it. I don't doubt his talent but I question his mentality
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #1719: Jul 14, 2015 12:12:44 am
      No matter what his best role is which ever one he's luck to be asked to perform here he needs to up it. I don't doubt his talent but I question his mentality

I personally doubt both. A man who can be in our midfield fairly regularly for three years and not get a single assist isn't good enough.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #1720: Jul 14, 2015 01:08:15 am
      So does this mean that Lucas isn't good enough too as he creates more chances than him and scores the odd goal a season.   Allen hasn't proved to be a brilliant player, but is a good squad player that still has years of play ahead of him.  And whilst some will point to his transfer fee as a waste of money.  Money is spent on two fronts mainly.  The wages is a big contributor and him receiving a low wage has made up for his stop start career. 
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1631 
      Reply #1721: Jul 14, 2015 09:41:41 am
      So does this mean that Lucas isn't good enough too as he creates more chances than him and scores the odd goal a season.   Allen hasn't proved to be a brilliant player, but is a good squad player that still has years of play ahead of him.  And whilst some will point to his transfer fee as a waste of money.  Money is spent on two fronts mainly.  The wages is a big contributor and him receiving a low wage has made up for his stop start career. 

Let me get that straight becsuse he is on less wages than some others his poor performances are excused ok I got it . 16 million is quite a chunk for a bit part squad player and thats what he is.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #1722: Jul 14, 2015 04:35:50 pm
      1The fact about money is that every person use that price tag to bash him.  I am basically saying we could have bought him for half that price and may have ended up paying more for him.  Yes we paid 15m which was a high but with that deal we got the wage for 45k.    Lets say we bought him 10m  with 80k wages we would have ended up costing us more by now.  With Allen we can sell him and recuperate I would say at least half that transfer fee, because with his wages he will fall into the bracket of clubs that are positioned lower than us. 

Allen gives a 100% and as long as he has the appetite to compete for a position, I don't really see the problem.  I can understand people wanting better.  But a squad player is different, you can get a player that is more talented but won't play well as a squad player.  Whatever the situation Allen hasn't for me been expensive when you consider his wages. 
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1723: Jul 14, 2015 04:40:59 pm
      16 million is quite a chunk for a bit part squad player and thats what he is.

But what was the context of that purchase? New manager wants to implement a new style and feels he needs players he's familiar with to integrate that style. So, Brendan went back to his old club with which he had an agreement to not buy players -- but, Allen had a clause in his contract that if a big five club came in, his release clause was £15m.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #1724: Jul 14, 2015 04:45:11 pm
      Joe signs for Liverpool:

Establishes himself:

Current season:

2016/17 season:

Quick Reply