Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 199593 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,190 posts | 4405 
      Re: Joe Pirlo Allen Player Thread
      Reply #2047: Apr 15, 2016 05:18:12 pm
      Probably would not have been 2 down if he started last night.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #2048: Apr 15, 2016 05:19:31 pm
      He's right at the top of his game right now. I've a hunch that if he'd been on the pitch from minute one we wouldn't have had to score four in the second half.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2049: Apr 15, 2016 10:32:38 pm
      He's like a little buzzzing bee, gets on, chases, harrasses, nips around, causing other teams to sh*t themselves a little bit casuing teams to make mistakes that we seem to capitalize.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2050: Apr 16, 2016 01:59:37 am
      He's right at the top of his game right now. I've a hunch that if he'd been on the pitch from minute one we wouldn't have had to score four in the second half.

That is exact my thinking.

If we were (or allowed to) to appraise or critique the performance, it would be fair to say Klopp got the initial line-up wrong. In fact, I remember thinking 'what did he say to them before stepping out onto the pitch'. The lads were still in the changing room, and our midfield were totally blitzed.

Putting Firmino on ahead of Allen was a mistake. The Brazilian is very prone conceding possession to the point he becomes a liability, and he did it a couple of times where Dortmund counter attacked and looked deadly from it. Allen would have been better off deployed in there from the start; to help Can who at times looked like our only central midfielder in the side - Milner went walkabout I thought, or if he didn't he simply failed to support Can.

Allen retains possession much better than most of our players, certainly Firmino and the Brazilian was caught cold and Allen would have been the extra body in our engine room (dropping deeper at least) to help Can out. The onslaught may have not been so one-sided.

However, somebody else mentioned Allen seems to look better, or have a better impact coming off the bench (which could well be true at the mo.), but who knows, the little Welshman, on form deserved(s) are starting spot in this team IMHO. He looks much better under the guidance of Klopp who for all intents and purposes is a great motivator and this, coupled with being injury free is all that Allen may have needed to resurrect his LFC career. 
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2051: Apr 16, 2016 02:12:06 am
      That is exact my thinking.

If we were (or allowed to) to appraise or critique the performance, it would be fair to say Klopp got the initial line-up wrong. In fact, I remember thinking 'what did he say to them before stepping out onto the pitch'. The lads were still in the changing room, and our midfield were totally blitzed.

Putting Firmino on ahead of Allen was a mistake. The Brazilian is very prone conceding possession to the point he becomes a liability, and he did it a couple of times where Dortmund counter attacked and looked deadly from it. Allen would have been better off deployed in there from the start; to help Can who at times looked like our only central midfielder in the side - Milner went walkabout I thought, or if he didn't he simply failed to support Can.

Allen retains possession much better than most of our players, certainly Firmino and the Brazilian was caught cold and Allen would have been the extra body in our engine room (dropping deeper at least) to help Can out. The onslaught may have not been so one-sided.

However, somebody else mentioned Allen seems to look better, or have a better impact coming off the bench (which could well be true at the mo.), but who knows, the little Welshman, on form deserved(s) are starting spot in this team IMHO. He looks much better under the guidance of Klopp who for all intents and purposes is a great motivator and this, coupled with being injury free is all that Allen may have needed to resurrect his LFC career. 

I agree mate, I think the two big decisions Klopp had to make pre game he got wrong. Lallana and Firmino instead of Allen and Sturridge.

I thought Joe was outstanding when he came on, calmed our midfield down a little, gave us a bit more control yet still showed an attacking side to his game that we have seen only rarely.

Taking two creative players off was a big gamble at the time he did, but Jürgen got it spot on and as they say the rest is history.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2052: Apr 16, 2016 02:29:58 am
      I agree mate, I think the two big decisions Klopp had to make pre game he got wrong. Lallana and Firmino instead of Allen and Sturridge.

I thought Joe was outstanding when he came on, calmed our midfield down a little, gave us a bit more control yet still showed an attacking side to his game that we have seen only rarely.

Taking two creative players off was a big gamble at the time he did, but Jürgen got it spot on and as they say the rest is history.

I understood why he went with his preferred one-up-top, so I wasn't bothered he left Lallana in. And, even though I would personally have picked Sturridge out of Origi, I had no complaints that Origi got the nod - although that wasn't the case in the first-half where he had a couple of half-decent opportunities.  :D

I agree about Joe. Although, I found the timing of the subs bemusing I must admit, he didn't throw Allen or Sturridge on until we went 3-1 down. I'm intrigued to know why he didn't put them on shortly after Origi scored to get us back in it at 2-1, with the wind in our sails and all that jazz.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2053: Apr 16, 2016 04:50:36 am
      I understood why he went with his preferred one-up-top, so I wasn't bothered he left Lallana in. And, even though I would personally have picked Sturridge out of Origi, I had no complaints that Origi got the nod - although that wasn't the case in the first-half where he had a couple of half-decent opportunities.  :D

I agree about Joe. Although, I found the timing of the subs bemusing I must admit, he didn't throw Allen or Sturridge on until we went 3-1 down. I'm intrigued to know why he didn't put them on shortly after Origi scored to get us back in it at 2-1, with the wind in our sails and all that jazz.

I was intrigued to know why he didnt bring Studge and Allen on in the 9th minute, mate.

Lucky I'm not the Boss!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,351 posts | 1629 
      Reply #2054: Apr 16, 2016 11:19:06 am
      Massive turn around in Joe  full credit to him , but masive credit to the BOSS who has totally turned him around  its a shame we never got these kind of performances from the off , be nice to know whst held the player in him back for so long , it cant just be the beard can it ?.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2055: Apr 16, 2016 12:27:28 pm
      Massive turn around in Joe  full credit to him , but masive credit to the BOSS who has totally turned him around  its a shame we never got these kind of performances from the off , be nice to know whst held the player in him back for so long , it cant just be the beard can it ?.
      it is the long hair too, i remember some players going rubbish after a haircut.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2056: Apr 16, 2016 01:12:40 pm
      Well with Can out, Joseph is pretty much guaranteed to start every single game for the rest of the season.

Now is his chance to prove he deserves a new contract.  He won't be able to say he didn't get an opportunity to prove himself.

Hope he makes the most out of it.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,198 posts | 1275 
      Reply #2057: Apr 16, 2016 02:03:57 pm
      Well with Can out, Joseph is pretty much guaranteed to start every single game for the rest of the season.

Now is his chance to prove he deserves a new contract.  He won't be able to say he didn't get an opportunity to prove himself.

What the f**k do you mean - he's been proving himself as quite capable these last few weeks. No Allen and no win against Dortmund in my opinion - he was excellent.

Of course you will overreact and think I'm probably saying he's Iniesta X2 but why anyone wouldn't want him in the squad and on the bench at least is deluded, a troll or just really f**king thick.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2058: Apr 16, 2016 02:20:26 pm
      What the f**k do you mean - he's been proving himself as quite capable these last few weeks. No Allen and no win against Dortmund in my opinion - he was excellent.

Of course you will overreact and think I'm probably saying he's Iniesta X2 but why anyone wouldn't want him in the squad and on the bench at least is deluded, a troll or just really f**king thick.
      Here we go again, same person picking fights with posters, calling people a troll and thick. Since you like insults so much, let me translate it for you into moron so you can understand. Joe Allen has been at Liverpool since 2012, he has been consistently awful until this season where he has been outstanding in a handful of games and been on par with other players in others. You can't rate a player until the seasons finished, so now Can and Henderson are both injured Allen doesn't even have to fight for a place in the line-up now. If Allen keeps up the good work without any competition it will likely lead to him getting another chance with us, but if he slips into old ways people will start remembering the Allen of old. It could go either way, but I personally can't see Allen being any worse than Henderson so I would rather have Hendo replaced first, but Henderson is on contract until 2020. Federer has a good point that Allen's performances will affect the contract he gets since he is under contract until 2017. As much as I am delighted in Allens performances this season, some people won't forget his previous performances and Klopp for some reason doesn't rate him as first 11 otherwise he would have started against Dortmund. Posters like you that jump on peoples posts with the intention of insulting them without really thinking other people may have a different perspective are clearly the real trolls.
      « Last Edit: Apr 16, 2016 02:31:50 pm by Ribapuru »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #2059: Apr 16, 2016 03:48:32 pm
      Here we go again, same person picking fights with posters, calling people a troll and thick. Since you like insults so much, let me translate it for you into moron so you can understand. Joe Allen has been at Liverpool since 2012, he has been consistently awful until this season where he has been outstanding in a handful of games and been on par with other players in others. You can't rate a player until the seasons finished, so now Can and Henderson are both injured Allen doesn't even have to fight for a place in the line-up now. If Allen keeps up the good work without any competition it will likely lead to him getting another chance with us, but if he slips into old ways people will start remembering the Allen of old. It could go either way, but I personally can't see Allen being any worse than Henderson so I would rather have Hendo replaced first, but Henderson is on contract until 2020. Federer has a good point that Allen's performances will affect the contract he gets since he is under contract until 2017. As much as I am delighted in Allens performances this season, some people won't forget his previous performances and Klopp for some reason doesn't rate him as first 11 otherwise he would have started against Dortmund. Posters like you that jump on peoples posts with the intention of insulting them without really thinking other people may have a different perspective are clearly the real trolls.
      Revisionism at its best.

Son Of A Gun

• 5,198 posts | 1275 
      Reply #2060: Apr 16, 2016 11:39:39 pm

'Consistently awful' - a bit like your posts!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2061: Apr 17, 2016 09:40:30 am

"He's been proving himself the last few weeks."  You just hit the nail on the head.  You don't prove yourself "over a few weeks" if you want a contract for a few years.  Does that make sense?  "Hey I've been brilliant for a few weeks, now I want a contract for four years."

Look if the club offers him a new contract, it will probably be AT LEAST three years, maybe even more.  Three more years of guaranteed wages for him, regardless of whether or not he plays well, whether or not he plays at all (injuries) etc. 

What has his career been like with us?  He had a good start, but then faded and for almost the rest of his time with us, he's been inconsistent at best.  At times invisible, at times people saying he must have some compromising photos of the manager since there's no other reason for him to play etc etc.

The reality is, even if he played out of his skin for every single game from now until the end of the season, it would still be a risk to offer him a new contract.  Because we've seen it before with him; spells of good play followed by a return to mediocrity.

So the club would have every right to say "too little too late" if they didn't offer him a new contract.  And it's not like he didn't have the right environment; he was undroppable for a while, playing under a "father figure" in Rodgers.  So what was his excuse not to be playing at a high level more often?

Look I have been impressed with him too in the last few weeks.  He's really upped his game.  But considering his record thus far, there's no reason to think it will continue consistently, and long term.

So that's what I meant with what I said: to even give the club something to think about, he would have to perform at the highest level possible from now until the end of the season.  He'd have to run the table essentially.  And even then it wouldn't be a sure thing.

And I don't think anyone would fault the club for that.  If he had been playing like this week in and week out for the last few years, they would have offered him a new contract long ago.

The fact that they haven't yet is a testament to his inconsistency.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,198 posts | 1275 
      Reply #2062: Apr 17, 2016 03:32:57 pm
      Hilarious!

Today's exceptional performance couldn't be better timed.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #2063: Apr 17, 2016 06:34:15 pm
      Another cracking game today from him. 
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2064: Apr 17, 2016 06:49:34 pm
      Another cracking game today from him. 

The last 4 months he has carried himself well, he has never moaned just gone out and given his all each time.

Joe is a very important player for us right now...more so than ever with Jordan & Emre out.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #2065: Apr 17, 2016 07:05:17 pm

Thing is, what did Mignolet do to deserve a new contract? In waltzes Klopp and tells the board to hand him a new one. Allen hasn't had near the same number of shocking performances as Mignolet and is told he'll have to wait and prove himself. People suggested that it might have been to protect the asset but  one would think Liverpool would want to protect their asset in Joe Allen, an asset that is surely on the up and up after his performances in recent weeks. If we are to sell him, let's at least get the best possible value from him. No matter which way you look at this situation, Allen should be being handed a new contract.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,649 posts | 3918 
      Reply #2066: Apr 17, 2016 09:43:13 pm
      Look at the difference in confidence and ability between Pirlo's recent performances against Henderson's before he got injured.

Joe is on another level. Watch how nearly all his balls are moving forward now, not side ways and backwards like our captain.

Great performance today.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2067: Apr 17, 2016 09:47:41 pm
      Look at the difference in confidence and ability between Pirlo's recent performances against Henderson's before he got injured.

Joe is on another level. Watch how nearly all his balls are moving forward now, not side ways and backwards like our captain.

Great performance today.

While he may not possess the physical attributes of Hendo he's definitely a far more intelligent player. That said one could argue that despite Hendo's physique he doesn't use it to the expected level. In contrast to Allen, Hendo's pressing is really quite poor or at least it has been this season.

Also to those bemoaning about why he wasn't performing at this level pre Klopp well it is clear seeing that Klopp is playing him in a purposeful position now. When he was played in front of the back 4 too many times under Brendan it was...well it was like using a gun to smear butter on your toast. Klopp shows that it was just sheer misuse.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,351 posts | 1629 
      Reply #2068: Apr 17, 2016 09:53:27 pm
      Voted Joe motm never ever thought I'd  be doing that .
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #2069: Apr 18, 2016 12:02:29 am
      If Joe keeps up this good run of form then i can't see why he won't be here next season . He's been a revelation of late and hardly putting a foot wrong . When he came on against Dortmund he changed the game instantly along with Sturridge . Some lovely passes and none of the sideways and back passes sh*t he used to do either , Klopp has turned him around .

Quick Reply