Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 199109 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Re: Joe Pirlo Allen Player Thread
      Reply #2162: Jun 22, 2016 11:26:58 pm
      I think if we played a "three" regularly in midfield Joe would be ideal. I don't think he has enough about him to cope in a midfield two.

Love him to stay as he is ideal for that last 20mins role when we are winning but need more control, but I think he will probably decide to go and we won't fight too hard to keep him. 

Got to agree with this and it seems like so does Klopp seeing  as we have hardly seen Joe starting.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #2163: Jun 23, 2016 12:56:05 am
      Got to agree with this and it seems like so does Klopp seeing  as we have hardly seen Joe starting.

It would be useful to play that formation on occasion. Out of all our squad, Joe seems to be the only one capable of unlocking a stubborn defence where there isn't much point in pressing and honestly, who are we going to get as good as him without spending a fortune? I'd keep him on and be more tactically flexible in my approach to games.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #2164: Jun 26, 2016 02:03:19 am
      It's really nice to see Joe playing well again!!  I was really excited when we signed him because I thought he was brilliant at Swansea.  Injuries and lack of confidence seemed to hinder him under BR, but he had really kicked on the last 6 months or so. 

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see Joe in Liverpool red next season.  Joe's game is all about positioning and possession, but Jürgen prefers to play without the ball.  I can't see how a player whose game is all about keeping things ticking over fitting into a scheme that is all about high pressing followed by quick, incisive counter attacks.  As Saint mentions, it would be great to keep his as an option to come off the bench and help us kill off a game, but will he want to stay if that is his role?  He'd likely be a starter at 12-14 of the other sides in the league, and at this stage of his career he really needs regular footie to continue his development....

Don't touch my wee Joe ;)
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2165: Jun 26, 2016 03:33:54 am
      It's really nice to see Joe playing well again!!  I was really excited when we signed him because I thought he was brilliant at Swansea.  Injuries and lack of confidence seemed to hinder him under BR, but he had really kicked on the last 6 months or so. 

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see Joe in Liverpool red next season.  Joe's game is all about positioning and possession, but Jürgen prefers to play without the ball.  I can't see how a player whose game is all about keeping things ticking over fitting into a scheme that is all about high pressing followed by quick, incisive counter attacks.  As Saint mentions, it would be great to keep his as an option to come off the bench and help us kill off a game, but will he want to stay if that is his role?  He'd likely be a starter at 12-14 of the other sides in the league, and at this stage of his career he really needs regular footie to continue his development....

Don't touch my wee Joe ;)

It's an interesting comment you made about us playing without the ball under Klopp because I think that along could be the reason why players like Chirivella don't make it here. He's so much like Allen in how he keeps play ticking over.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      Reply #2166: Jul 01, 2016 09:48:02 pm
      Had a phenomenal tournament. He must stay.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #2167: Jul 01, 2016 10:29:45 pm
      Joe's value must be at least £20 million after this tournament. Absolute joke if the club sells for any less.

But surely Klopp sees how valuable Joe is to the squad he must want him to stay.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #2168: Jul 01, 2016 10:30:20 pm

Still having.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #2169: Jul 01, 2016 10:30:36 pm
      Had a phenomenal tournament. He must stay.

His mistake the first Belgium goal.

Let's be honest he has been solid but nothing spectacular like fans try and make out.

carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #2170: Jul 01, 2016 10:33:34 pm
      he is playing a great euro
      to be honest I rate him more than hendo
      hope klopp is seeing he has a good hard working player in won't sell him

YNWA
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2171: Jul 01, 2016 10:35:55 pm
      Still running and chasing at the very end. No lack of desire and effort. Can't fault him for that.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2172: Jul 01, 2016 10:49:31 pm
      As mentioned by many, another great performance. First half was a masterclass in possession play, second was more a display of his discipline and defending.

fu**ed up twice though, the one that led to the goal (though Ramsey should have closed down quicker), and the mis pass that cost Ramsey a place in the Semis :(
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2173: Jul 01, 2016 11:01:25 pm
      I get that he lost the ball before the first goal but so much happened between him giving the ball away and the goal being scored. Ramsey is as much to blame.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2174: Jul 01, 2016 11:03:58 pm
      I get that he lost the ball before the first goal but so much happened before him giving the ball away and the goal being scored. Ramsey is as much to blame.

That's true, guess it wasn't so much of a f**k up, just a silly mistake that could have been avoided. Happens to every player and wasn't as if that misplace pass led to their goal :)

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #2175: Jul 01, 2016 11:06:46 pm
      He's a serious contender for the team of the tournament and it beggars belief that we didn't even have the courtesy of informing him of his future with us. We should be finding a system where we can get the most out of his range of passing, not leaving the lad in limbo whilst underserved contracts are handed out to others.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2176: Jul 01, 2016 11:08:48 pm
      Joe's value must be at least £20 million after this tournament. Absolute joke if the club sells for any less.

But surely Klopp sees how valuable Joe is to the squad he must want him to stay.

If he does leave (or decided to) with one year left on his contract and from what I understand the club itself not wanting to limit his choices I don't think the fee would be anywhere near that.

If the club did let him go cheaply it would be a gesture of good faith towards Joe, not the club being mugs.

Though he has had a fantastic tourney and Gotze has not putting it into perspective £20 million is Gotze's fee and he probably has a bit more upside then Joe.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2177: Jul 01, 2016 11:12:45 pm
      If he does leave (or decided to) with one year left on his contract and from what I understand the club itself not wanting to limit his choices I don't think the fee would be anywhere near that.

If the club did let him go cheaply it would be a gesture of good faith towards Joe, not the club being mugs.

Though he has had a fantastic tourney and Gotze has not putting it into perspective £20 million is Gotze's fee and he probably has a bit more upside then Joe.

Reminds me of the Agger deal back to Brondby.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2178: Jul 01, 2016 11:28:16 pm
      Reminds me of the Agger deal back to Brondby.

Yup, though Joe at his age is probably worth quite a bit more.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #2179: Jul 01, 2016 11:47:02 pm
      hope we don't sell joe very good player last few months, much better player then Henderson
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #2180: Jul 01, 2016 11:57:57 pm
      A fine performance from Joe tonight , He's been outstanding for most of the tournament and also the last few months of last season for us .I'd like if he stayed on but i don't think Klopp sees him as a starter unfortunately.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #2181: Jul 02, 2016 07:12:18 am
      A fine performance from Joe tonight , He's been outstanding for most of the tournament and also the last few months of last season for us .I'd like if he stayed on but i don't think Klopp sees him as a starter unfortunately.

Unfortunately I agree with you. Being welsh myself I'm a big Joe Allen fan and I'd love him to stay but if they are going to sell they should hang on as long as possible because little Joe could come back to pre season with a Euro 16 winners medal in his arse pocket and that would bump his price tag up.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #2182: Jul 02, 2016 11:43:54 am
      Yup, though Joe at his age is probably worth quite a bit more.

A value that's decreasing the better he plays in this tournament and the closer he gets to his contract end. A new contract would at least have secured his value. There is no business sense, never mind football sense, in doing what we're doing.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2183: Jul 02, 2016 01:38:04 pm
      Joe has had a fantastic tournament and I'd have no problem with him staying if that's what he wants but he won't be a starting player if he does.

The problem for Joe is similar to the problem we have with Hendo, he's better playing in a 3 man midfield but Jürgen's preferred system is with a 2 man midfield.

Is Joe good enough for Jürgen to move away from his preferred system so he can be accommodated?

Not for me he isn't.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2184: Jul 02, 2016 01:42:50 pm
      Joe has had a fantastic tournament and I'd have no problem with him staying if that's what he wants but he won't be a starting player if he does.

The problem for Joe is similar to the problem we have with Hendo, he's better playing in a 3 man midfield but Jürgen's preferred system is with a 2 man midfield.

Is Joe good enough for Jürgen to move away from his preferred system so he can be accommodated?

Not for me he isn't.

The thing is though, Zielinski played CM in a 3 man midfield for Empoli last season so it's not as though Zielinski has been tested much in a 2 man midfield.

Quick Reply