Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 199710 times
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Re: Joe Allen Player Thread
      Reply #92: Aug 12, 2012 05:25:36 pm
      Will form a good partnership with Lucas
      That was a positive post!! :o

Are you not well today Corbs  :f_tongueincheek: ;)

Richard Buxton ‏@Richard_Buxton_
      Brendan Rodgers confirms he expects Joe Allen to play for Wales in midweek & has spoken to national coach Chris Coleman about it #LFC
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #93: Aug 12, 2012 05:31:27 pm
      That was a positive post!! :o

Are you not well today Corbs  :f_tongueincheek: ;)

Richard Buxton ‏@Richard_Buxton_
      Brendan Rodgers confirms he expects Joe Allen to play for Wales in midweek & has spoken to national coach Chris Coleman about it #LFC

Think im still drunk from last night :)
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #94: Aug 12, 2012 05:33:21 pm
      Can't see him starting next weekend if hes going away with Wales.

Think Jonjo has done enough to hold down a place as well alongside Lucas/Stevie for now.
      DavidNgog90
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #95: Aug 12, 2012 09:43:20 pm
      Quite happy with Allen. Intelligent player for his age, astute tactically, good passer, presser, tackler, will keep things ticking over well. I think people under-rate his defensive capabilities, he will provide adept cover for Lucas if need be, which is something we needed massively last season. He was obviously over-priced, but he's a mature player for his age and with the style of player that he is he could last us at least ten years.

Him and Lucas will form a very effective partnership.
      alexfrance
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 39 
      Reply #96: Aug 13, 2012 02:57:50 am
      Can't see him starting next weekend if hes going away with Wales.

Think Jonjo has done enough to hold down a place as well alongside Lucas/Stevie for now.
      Just listen to Brendan in any interview when he talks about him, a massive grin always appears. Allen is to Brendan what Lucas was to Benitez. I'm sure he will play.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #97: Aug 15, 2012 07:58:58 pm
      Flicking between the Ireland and Wales games, Little maestro in midfield for them. Running the show at the moment, hit the bar too.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #98: Aug 16, 2012 08:08:02 am
      I think people under-rate his defensive capabilities,

Yep, 3rd in the league in tackles last season which is not bad considering he played for the side with the 3rd highest average possession. Looking forward to Joe making his debut this weekend, still not sure whether he will get a start or not.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #99: Aug 17, 2012 11:12:34 pm
      Thanks, Speedo! Liverpool new boy Allen owes it all to the late Wales boss

Joe Allen has revealed the quiet inspiration he takes every day from the role played in his career by tragic Gary Speed.

The Wales international arrived at Liverpool last week, making a £15million move from Swansea.

Yet for such a big money capture, there was little fanfare, less ceremony and absolutely no sense of complacency.

As a relative kid of just 22, he could be forgiven for thinking he’d arrived, entering the hallowed halls of Anfield, after a journey that started as a nine-year-old with the then-unheralded Swans.

Instead, he offered only the promise of far more to come.

Sitting in the bowels of the famous old stadium, in the celebrated Boot-Room deep under the stands, Allen clearly has little time for the superstar status his move automatically brings.

In part, that is because of the role played by Speed, in instilling the values which underpin his career.

Speed offered the youngster a massive sense of belief when he needed it most at the start of his career, but also the idea that he could aspire to greatness through consistent hard work and a perennially undimmed desire.

“Gary was very influential," said Allen. "He was a great man who is sadly missed by everyone, a great football man, and in the year before his tragic death he was massive for me, hugely important.

“He made me believe in myself and I took so much from him.

"To hear things spoken by a man like that really encourages you, to say those things to me mean so much, even now.

“If there are times when there are any doubts, you remember back to things like that to help pick yourself up and realise that you’re not too bad.

"Gary was one of the best, and even now he’s an inspiration.

“I’ve always dreamed about playing at this level of football and I have worked every day of my life to try and get here, so nothing will change - I’ll keep taking on that inspiration.

“I’m somebody who wants to be the best I can be day in day out, so I dedicate my life to doing that. You can expect 100 per cent no matter what.”

Allen is understandably subdued when it comes to sharing memories of Speed - found hanged last November at the age of 42, shaking the football world just when he seemed to have it at his feet as manager of Wales.

Based on the youthful talent of the likes of Allen, Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey, Speed built a side of immense promise and gave belief to his young charges.

His death hit every Welsh player hard, a fact acknowledged by Reds boss Brendan Rodgers, who was in charge of Swansea that terrible day.

He and his players had to endure a game against Aston Villa - one which he says he should never have played - but Rodgers believes Allen has matured since that terrible tragedy.

“Joe really grew from that, absolutely. I think they used that to draw strength from. Because of Gary’s devotion as a player, they could see the sacrifices he’d made to play those number of games and be so professional,” the Liverpool manager explained.

“He was an excellent role model. It’s been good to see Joe’s development and he certainly became stronger after that.

“Joe is a kid who doesn’t give out trust easily and when you get inside him he gives everything for you, and he had big respect for Gary.”

Perhaps the biggest inspiration Allen has taken from his relationship with Speed, is the idea that the hard work starts when you enter the big time.

Sitting in the Boot-Room, surrounded by pictures of past Anfield greats, there was only a quiet determination and steely sense of resolve.

But then Allen, in line to make his Liverpool debut against West Brom in Saturday's season-opener, is used to adversity.

At just 5ft 6in tall, he has always had to scrap for his football life, with many doubters suggesting he simply wasn’t big enough to make it.

Made it he has though, as one of the most technically gifted players in the Premier League, and the encouragement of both Speed and Rodgers were integral in that.

“When I was younger my size was a big issue for some people... but not important people! I was always confident that there were other aspects of my game that were better off because of that,” added Allen, who played for Team GB in this summer's Olympics.

“I kept plugging away and I actually think it has been a positive thing for me. And if you think I’m small now you should have seen me when I made my debut!

"I was even slimmer and smaller then.

"The right people believed in me though, and that was the important thing.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-joe-allen-reveals-how-1266137?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #100: Aug 18, 2012 03:17:22 am
      I've got one of those feeling with Allen.  I think sandwiched between Lucas and Gerrard we will have an awesome central midfield.  I just can't to see him in action!
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #101: Aug 18, 2012 05:15:37 pm
      Credit to Joe. Looks a fine player. Keeps the ball moving very quickly. Very good interceptions as well.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #102: Aug 18, 2012 05:17:58 pm
      Don't see what he contributed today that Spearing couldn't have.

In saying that I am not saying he's a flop or failure just an observation from the first game.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #103: Aug 18, 2012 05:18:09 pm
      Looks very tidy. Could be a big player for us this season.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #104: Aug 18, 2012 05:23:44 pm
      Don't see what he contributed today that Spearing couldn't have.

In saying that I am not saying he's a flop or failure just an observation from the first game.

I think that's an outrageous statement myself.

Much quicker in possession, doesn't need to make rash challenges to win the ball rather he makes interceptions. Keeps the team moving.

I like Jay me self but Allen is a much better player in terms of footballing.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #105: Aug 18, 2012 05:26:56 pm
      Yes he kept the ball moving sideways and backwards made a handful of passes forward. If anything lacked the grit that Jay shows when he plays, he does what he does well but if that is all he is going to do then F**k me for 15m we have been jibbed again.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #106: Aug 18, 2012 05:30:09 pm
      He was tidy and seemed to read the game well - but I'm not going to go overboard when we again failed to break down a pretty uninspiring opposition (before the sending off). He'll come on and do a good job in my opinion but we need more quality in middle.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #107: Aug 18, 2012 05:31:08 pm
      Must be watching a different player to me Dads because I saw him put in plenty of challenges and win the ball back more than any other of our players. Also his passing is much quicker and precise than Jay's, thought he had a very impressive debut and was one of the very few who could walk off the pitch with their heads held high.

Him and Lucas did really well together, it was surprisingly Gerrard as the weak link in our midfield today possibly the worst performance I've seen from Gerrard to be honest.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #108: Aug 18, 2012 05:31:21 pm
      Thought he did well for his first game. Neat on the ball, good technique. He'll need to find his confidence to dominate the ball and demand it off the other players, but for a first game he showed good potential.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #109: Aug 18, 2012 05:33:58 pm
      Yes he kept the ball moving sideways and backwards made a handful of passes forward. If anything lacked the grit that Jay shows when he plays, he does what he does well but if that is all he is going to do then f**k me for 15m we have been jibbed again.

Looked better than every other field player we had out there, maybe aside from Suarez. And his role is to ping the ball around the pitch and he did it well. I don't think there are many players out there who could've looked better than he did if they were playing in a midfield with Lucas looking very out of pace and Gerrard having a shocker of a game and in a team where just about every player looked sh*t. Think he'll be a quality player, especially when the player around him actually start playing proper football.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #110: Aug 18, 2012 05:34:21 pm
      Thought Gerrard was poor and Lucas had heavy legs trying to find fitness.

Allen stood out proper
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #111: Aug 18, 2012 05:36:12 pm
      Must be watching a different player to me Dads because I saw him put in plenty of challenges and win the ball back more than any other of our players. Also his passing is much quicker and precise than Jay's, thought he had a very impressive debut and was one of the very few who could walk off the pitch with their heads held high.

Him and Lucas did really well together, it was surprisingly Gerrard as the weak link in our midfield today possibly the worst performance I've seen from Gerrard to be honest.

Not saying he played a bad game mate.

I am trying to say for what we paid in the current market is a bit steep for somebody that will do a limited job. I would like to see us throw 15m on a player that will add some much needed flare and creativity to the midfield.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #112: Aug 18, 2012 05:37:00 pm
      Thought Gerrard was poor and Lucas had heavy legs trying to find fitness.

Allen stood out proper

Not disputing that either mate , he was the best of the 3.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #113: Aug 18, 2012 05:37:12 pm
      Stand out player of those in the outfield.

Finished with 66/69 passes - the most in the game from any player, at 96% accuracy. Also won all his tackles.

Very quick in recycling possession. Will be a good addition here.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #114: Aug 18, 2012 05:37:41 pm
      Thought he looked nervous at first but built into a decent debut and the best of our three central midfielders.

Quick Reply