Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 198334 times
      unwashedmasses
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,369 posts | 53 
      Re: Joe Allen Player Thread
      Reply #46: Aug 10, 2012 10:22:02 pm

:mad:  :f_tongueincheek:

Welcome to the club Joe!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #47: Aug 10, 2012 10:25:45 pm
      Welcome son! Do your best for us and that's all we can ask!

YNWA
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #48: Aug 10, 2012 10:28:09 pm
      Welcome Joe.  I admit I know little about you but I have no doubt you will do well for us from the off.  Some new players last year fell well short of expectations but I have a feeling you will fit straight in the team ahead of them.  Good luck kidda.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #49: Aug 10, 2012 10:56:34 pm
      Was dissapointed when I read that Rodgers wouldn't/couldn't sign anyone from the Swans for 12 months because I really wanted us to get this lad so I'm chuffed to bits with this signing. Can do everything, can pass it all day long, can run with it, has a bit of snap in the tackle, can shoot and he isn't slow either. Great piece of business for my mind.

Joe Allen vs Fulham

Joe Allen | The Midfield Magician | Liverpool bound?

Joe Allen vs. LFC

Joe Allen vs Arsenal

Joe Allen - Welcome To Liverpool

Lucas, Allen and Stevie in midfield works for me. really happy with that combo.
      « Last Edit: Aug 10, 2012 11:09:12 pm by Scottbot »
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #50: Aug 10, 2012 11:06:09 pm
      Just read a brilliant article written by a Swansea fan about Allen.

A really must read:

http://www.lfcts.com/joe-allen-why-swansea-must-fight-to-keep-him/
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #51: Aug 10, 2012 11:34:08 pm
      There is no doubt we over payed. Hopefully he goes better than our other British imports.

Personally think he is a decent player better than Adam. Not sure he is the necessary quality if we get to the next level but defo good enough to help us get there
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #52: Aug 10, 2012 11:41:02 pm
      There is no doubt we over payed. Hopefully he goes better than our other British imports.

Personally think he is a decent player better than Adam.

Not sure if that's a compliment from you, or you are damning him with faint praise mate :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #53: Aug 10, 2012 11:41:44 pm

Personally think he is a decent player better than Adam. Not sure he is the necessary quality if we get to the next level but defo good enough to help us get there

Not trying to get at you here Corbs or start an argument but we didn't overpay because if we wanted Allen, and Brendan obviously did, then we had to pay this fee as it was his release clause.

If that's in a player's contract and another club comes calling then it's only natural the selling club will expect that fee for the player.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #54: Aug 10, 2012 11:42:01 pm
      Just read a brilliant article written by a Swansea fan about Allen.

A really must read:

http://www.lfcts.com/joe-allen-why-swansea-must-fight-to-keep-him/

That's an excellent read, articulate fan who clearly understands the game and loves Joe Allen. I almost feel a bit bad that Swansea fans have lost one of their own......actually, balls to that! It seems that this writer clearly feels that the deep lying midfielder role suits the lad best and I did not know that he finished 3rd in tackles last season. Funnily enough, a lot fans (including our own) often overlooked that fact that Xabi generally featured in the top 5 in the country in tackles as well.

I think he will play a little further forward than Lucas but it's clear he will make an able replacement if/when required should Lucas miss any more time. He's a genuine midfield all-rounder.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #55: Aug 10, 2012 11:43:42 pm

Yeah let's hope he doesn't turn out to be another "young Frank Lampard" like Henderson eh Corbs!  ;D

Not sure if that's a compliment from you, or you are damning him with faint praise mate :)

There's no denying it's a big chunk of money but given that Rodgers is quite clearly gouing back on what he agreed with Swansea when he left it's no surprise he has had to meet the release clause to trigger the deal. Particularly wheh you compare it to the relatively competitive price City are about to spend on Scott Sinclair. It doesn't worry me too much though. It's very different to the Henderson deal. that one came completely out of leftfield last summer and I think pretty much the whole fan base were scratching their heads and asking "how much!". This lad is a cut above and I think he'll be worth every penny.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #56: Aug 11, 2012 12:08:06 am
      Best of luck Joey lad
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #57: Aug 11, 2012 12:38:21 am
      There's no denying it's a big chunk of money but given that Rodgers is quite clearly gouing back on what he agreed with Swansea when he left it's no surprise he has had to meet the release clause to trigger the deal. Particularly wheh you compare it to the relatively competitive price City are about to spend on Scott Sinclair. It doesn't worry me too much though. It's very different to the Henderson deal. that one came completely out of leftfield last summer and I think pretty much the whole fan base were scratching their heads and asking "how much!". This lad is a cut above and I think he'll be worth every penny.

I think it is a big fee mate, but I don't tend to worry about the fee as much when they are young and you are buying potential as well as talent.

In all honesty I still have a lot of faith in Henderson too, I think he has too many natural gifts not to be a good player once he settles. Size. pace, touch, stamina, just needs confidence, a little experience and to show a little more dynamic movement .

Back on Joe Allen, my only real worry is his size, I know everyone goes on about Xavi and Iniesta etc etc , but in the prem size is important, and especially with the long ball teams we may struggle in the head tennis that sometimes ensues.

Not happy with the fee (I never am) but I hope he will be judged on his performances and his ability rather than how much he cost. If he was 29 like Dempsey, then I think the fee has a much greater importance.   
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #58: Aug 11, 2012 01:30:25 am
      Wow those Swansea fans on planetswans aren't half bitter.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #59: Aug 11, 2012 01:41:37 am
      I think he will be a good signing

Welcome to the club Joe!  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #60: Aug 11, 2012 02:11:37 am
      I think it is a big fee mate, but I don't tend to worry about the fee as much when they are young and you are buying potential as well as talent.

In all honesty I still have a lot of faith in Henderson too, I think he has too many natural gifts not to be a good player once he settles. Size. pace, touch, stamina, just needs confidence, a little experience and to show a little more dynamic movement .

Back on Joe Allen, my only real worry is his size, I know everyone goes on about Xavi and Iniesta etc etc , but in the prem size is important, and especially with the long ball teams we may struggle in the head tennis that sometimes ensues.

Not happy with the fee (I never am) but I hope he will be judged on his performances and his ability rather than how much he cost. If he was 29 like Dempsey, then I think the fee has a much greater importance.   

Don't worry about his height mate, some of the best players this League has ever seen have been slight in stature. And some of them have played in the middle of the park and done a great job for their respective clubs.

I'm not thrilled or disappointed in this signing as I don't think it's one we had to make but he's a good player who I think will add something to the side. Hopefully he will continue to develop into a very good player though and prove that he is worthy of playing week in week out in this Liverpool side.
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #61: Aug 11, 2012 05:08:15 am
      Heard he was a childhood manure fan, good to see someone cured of that
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #62: Aug 11, 2012 05:11:42 am
      Joe Allen is pass, move and press. The tools are there now it's just a question of if he can add to those. Hopefully he can add a bit of bite to his game and move on from being neat and tidy and become a dangerous weapon in our side.

Welcome to the club, Joe.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #63: Aug 11, 2012 05:18:07 am
      Welcome to the club Joe.

What was the fee in the end?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #64: Aug 11, 2012 07:27:40 am
      Interesting stats:

Minutes per tackle last season for LFC - Lucas: 15, [Allen: 26], Spearing: 29, Adam: 35, Shelvey: 38

Mins per tackle won last season for LFC - Lucas: 20.1, [Allen: 35.3], Spearing: 36.1, Adam: 49.4, Henderson: 61.9

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #65: Aug 11, 2012 08:31:52 am
      Welcome Joe...

Look forward to watching you in red..
      The release fee was met..

Not sure if it's all up front but that's the fee all told..
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #66: Aug 11, 2012 08:51:49 am
      Im made up with this, the thought of him and Lucas anchoring midfield with Stevie ahead causing havoc is a great prospect for the coming season.

People bang on about the fee but for me he's not potiential we bought, he's already a very good player.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #67: Aug 11, 2012 09:11:11 am
      I see that Swansea tied him down to a better deal at the start of their Prem campaign when he still had two years left, unquestionably putting the clause in because they knew he would be hard to keep especially doing as well as they did.

Welcome to Liverpool Joe cant wait to see you terrorise alongside Lucas!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #68: Aug 11, 2012 09:26:39 am
      I see that Swansea tied him down to a better deal at the start of their Prem campaign when he still had two years left, unquestionably putting the clause in because they knew he would be hard to keep especially doing as well as they did.

Yeah well in for that Rodgers you tw*t  ;).

Decent piece from The Anfield Wrap's Gareth Roberts whilst we're bandwagon jumping and all that.

And what a F***ing boss headline:

THE ALLEN KEY?
      Note: (Cringing at the headline? Thank The Anfield Wrapā€™s Gareth Roberts. Utter genius.)

ā€œI pass and I move, I help you, I look for you, I stop, I raise my head, I look and, above all, I open up the pitch.ā€ ā€“ Xavi Hernandez

Hypnotic words from the king of ā€˜tika-takaā€™ Xavi Hernandez. Xavi embodies everything about Barcelona; he is their brain, their control centre, their soul. Yet, he is neither a significant goal scorer nor one racking up a considerable assist count. Joe Allen may be on another planet to Xavi, and there is no shame in that of course, but I believe he may be able to contribute to Liverpool in the same was as Xavi does for Barcelona.

After a long drawn out and quite frankly boring ā€˜sagaā€™ Joe Allen has signed for Liverpool on a long-term contract. First and foremost I understand that for many when this transfer first became a real possibility it would be met with varying degrees of apprehension - and thatā€™s okay, itā€™s natural to meet transfers with teams beneath us with an air of caution. Why do I rate his arrival so highly? I believe he will be key to unlocking our new tactics, and ultimately, a new era under Rodgers.

Everyone in their right mind is preaching the need to appease our greatest enemy if Liverpool is to truly succeed under Rodgers, and that ā€“ is time. Of course we all yearn for stability under this new era, though its imperative we try our best to hit the ground running under this new style.

Many say we have the right players already, an abundance of competent midfielders. The imperious Lucas Leiva was born to play this game while Steven Gerrard could play any tactic, any formation, and still look class. Then thereā€™s the ever impressing Jonjo Shelvey who recently signed a new 5 year deal and of course the industrious yet talented Jordan Henderson. Of course, question marks still remain over the future of Charlie Adam who has been mooted for a move to London to play for Fulham in a deal which would see Clint Dempsey pass him by on his way to Merseyside. Oh and Jay Spearing, heā€™ll be regarded as a promising youngster at 30, wonā€™t he?

No doubt we have some talented players who could adapt to the system, but out of Henderson and Shelvey (the likely players to play if Allen hadnā€™t signed) I think neither would be ready ā€“ not yet. And with that we have signed Joe Allen, a 22 year-old modest lad from South-Wales. A lad who has been brought up through the ranks, played under managers of style such as Roberto Martinez, Paulo Souza and our very own Brendan Rodgers. Not a bad schooling when hailing from such a modest sized club. His transition from youth team player to arguably-first-name-on-the-team sheet has been superb. He took over the role of the ever-so-talented yet injury ridden Ferrie Bodde with ease. Allen played an integral role in helping Swansea to promotion in the 2008/2009 season after the second attempt. It was only then, that the world (or at least knowledgeable fans of the premier league) began to find out about young Allen.

Allenā€™s first season the premier league was impressive, was very impressive. Though itā€™s hard to explain how good he is until we talk about how the team performed. We need to look at collective ability of a team who defied the odds and finished 11th, re-writing the rule books by staying up with style in abundance. His ability to seamlessly fit around a team, around a philosophy is whatā€™s most impressive.

Swansea were very impressive last year, thereā€™s no getting around that. Though Iā€™d be lying if I said it was simply down to Allen, or any one player. Swansea didnā€™t get to where they finished by individual performances, but by a mix of cohesion and discipline. When thinking of Swansea last year they very much embodied the saying: ā€˜The sum is greater than its individual parts.ā€™ Joe Allen was one of these parts, an important cog in the machine that is possession-based football. What Allen brought to Swansea was an ability to dictate play in a classy yet domineering fashion, ever more impressive considering his stature of 5ft 6 inches. Allen brought versatility too, an ability to win the ball back and more often than not, play the right pass whilst his attacking nature was not to be forgotten about too easily. An ability to drive from midfield was apparent, getting shots away and creating countless chances for his team-mates time after time.

This versatility caused Allenā€™s roles to vary as the season progressed. Early on Swansea was bereft of a true attacking midfielder, resulting in Allen being left to make driving runs from midfield to create chances. And it worked, strikes at Bolton, Everton and Wolves for example show his ability to make driving runs toward and into the box to take strikes on and score goals. Though it canā€™t be said he is an attacking midfielder in its truest sense, nor is he a defensive midfielder like Lucas or Tiote. I see him as a box-to-box hybrid midfielder. Rarely will he seem under pressure, very rarely misplacing a pass.

Joe is a player whose ability to control and dominate the ball is an important ingredient in our attempt to gain success on the field. Be it a forward or backward, of his 2177 passes last year 91.2% were accurate, which was the third best in Europe, only trailing team-mate Leon Britton and one Xavi Hernandez. As previous stated he often makes runs from midfield linking the defence and attack; he amassed 36 successful dribbles last season; thatā€™s 11 more than Charlie Adam (25) and 23 more than Jordan Henderson (13). His shooting accuracy (48%) is better than Charlie Adamā€™s 35% and Jordan Hendersonā€™s 45%. This resulted in 4 league goals compared to Adamā€™s 2 goals and Hendersonā€™s 2 strikes respectfully. His passing is versatile too with a crossing accuracy of 31% which again is superior to Charlie Adamā€™s 22% and Jordan Hendersonā€™s 15%.

As previously stated Joe Allenā€™s versatility resulted in his role of attacking midfielder until January in which he underwent a transition to a slightly deeper role, a linking midfielder. Now allowing SigurĆ°sson to be the furthest forward midfielder Joe saw himself getting involved in the defensive side of the game more so. He made 110 successful tackles last season, more than any Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Arsenal or Tottenham player. Allen won 55% of his 50/50 ground duels; statistics superior to Luka Modric (48%), Charlie Adam (54%) and Jordan Henderson (41%).

Impressive his statistics may be, but what is most exciting is his potential. At 22, Joe is now surrounded by much better players ā€“ many world class in fact, an ever-improving young manager and at a club with far better resources than Swansea could ever imagine. The road may not be easy, but if we are to unlock to open a new chapter in our illustrious history, he may just be key.

Welcome to Liverpool Joe Allen.

http://www.menofshankly.com/Latest_News/Aug-2012/w-2/allen-key

Quick Reply