Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 198363 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Joe Pirlo Allen Player Thread
      Reply #2208: Jul 21, 2016 01:11:27 am
      Lets hope, he drives me up the wall.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2209: Jul 25, 2016 09:00:37 pm
      Good luck to little Joe. A player I think I may admire more now that he's moved on. I'm sure he will get Stoke ticking.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2210: Jul 25, 2016 09:05:30 pm
      Good luck Pirlo!! I'm glad he didn't go back to Swansea, Stoke are more promising than them these days.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #2211: Jul 25, 2016 09:23:42 pm
      Best of luck wee Joe. :)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2212: Jul 25, 2016 09:41:50 pm
      Good luck Pirlo!! I'm glad he didn't go back to Swansea, Stoke are more promising than them these days.

I'd rather him go to a less promising team than to benefit an ex-manc. But then, I'm more glad he's off. Does this make sense?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)
      Reply #2213: Jul 25, 2016 11:12:34 pm
      will be interesting to see how he does and where he plays but good luck to him
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2214: Jul 25, 2016 11:33:29 pm
      He came

He saw

He joined in for a bit, when he could

He went somewhere more suitable because he wasn't quite good enough.

No shame in that Joe lad - that's how it goes with most.

Good luck.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2215: Jul 26, 2016 01:29:22 pm
      YNWA Wee Joe.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2216: Jul 26, 2016 01:31:49 pm
      Good luck lad seemed a nice enough fella never moaned or whined got on with it!

Top pro Joe, well played mate.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2217: Jul 26, 2016 01:36:14 pm
      Best of luck 'wee Joe'
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2218: Jul 26, 2016 01:46:48 pm
      JĆ¼rgen wants tall strong highly technical central midfielders.

Unfortunately for Joe he didn't possess the physical attributes Klopp requires.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2219: Jul 26, 2016 04:58:11 pm
      JĆ¼rgen wants tall strong highly technical central midfielders.

Unfortunately for Joe he didn't possess the physical attributes Klopp requires.

Or the general footballing attributes.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #2220: Jul 26, 2016 05:10:25 pm
      Would have been a good squad player to have but can't complain about the lad wanting to play more regularly.

All the best Joe.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #2221: Jul 26, 2016 05:24:43 pm
      I'd rather him go to a less promising team than to benefit an ex-manc. But then, I'm more glad he's off. Does this make sense?

If the manager agrees with you mate it makes perfect sense, JĆ¼rgen obviously gave the move his blessing.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2222: Jul 26, 2016 05:30:38 pm
      Good luck to him, I think he still has an awful lot more to offer and I would be willing to bet there was a bit of a conversation about game time in Joe's ear. I reckon if we had European footy he'd still be here but can totally understand him moving on and think Stoke have got him for a great price.

Never moaned, always fully committed and showed at the bookends of his career with us why he was signed. While for a while he was really frustrating I grew to like Joe both as a player and a man, best of luck fella.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #2223: Jul 26, 2016 06:20:32 pm
      Sorry to see Joe go tbh, hard working player, who I thought still had something to offer. Anyway good luck to him for the future.
      biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #2224: Aug 13, 2016 04:17:20 pm
      Poor Joe on the bench for Stoke
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #2225: Aug 18, 2016 11:46:00 pm
      Joe Allen: I found out from friend's text I was leaving Liverpool
      Joe Allen was having a short holiday in Ibiza last month, reflecting on Walesā€™ remarkable Euro 2016 journey, when he discovered Liverpool were selling him to Stoke.

After four years at Anfield he left as a cult hero with supporters, a hugely popular figure in the dressing room with his reputation enhanced after playing a key role in helping Wales to reach the semi-finals.

He is now focusing on a new chapter in the Potteries and hopeful of making his home debut against Pep Guardiolaā€™s Manchester City on Saturday, after sealing a Ā£13ā€‰ million move. But sitting at Stokeā€™s training ground on Thursday after agreeing to a rare interview, he admits the way it ended at Liverpool left a sour taste.

Allen is low maintenance, reluctant to make headlines and chooses his words carefully, yet clearly feels his departure could have been better handled.

ā€œI actually had a text message off a friend congratulating me about making the move when I didnā€™t even know it was happening at the time,ā€ he says. ā€œNot knowing whether the club intend to sell you or keep you, especially when youā€™re trying to ask the question, is disappointing.

ā€œIf Iā€™m honest, to find out they accepted an offer through the press isnā€™t the best way of going about business, I donā€™t think. The communication wasnā€™t great but as soon as Liverpool accepted an offer I knew what their intentions were for me. It was a bit strange but thatā€™s how things happen sometimes. There was no real goodbye, but Iā€™m not the most sentimental person anyway. Itā€™s irrelevant now because sitting here Iā€™ve got the move I wanted.ā€

Allen bears no grudges and, indeed, says he has many fond memories of his time at Liverpool. He was infamously branded ā€œthe Welsh Xaviā€ by Brendan Rodgers shortly after moving from Swansea in 2012 and it is easy to forget the role he later played when Liverpool chased Manchester City for the title.

When Rodgers was sacked in October last season, he had to start again under JĆ¼rgen Klopp but proved himself to earn the respect of Liverpool fans. His sale polarised opinion among those supporters, with many claiming Liverpool should have offered him a new contract. But the lack of game time ā€“ just eight Premier League starts last season ā€“ made it an easy decision.

ā€œBeing a regular wasnā€™t going to happen and thatā€™s fair enough. If you look at the quality Liverpool have got in midfield, and maybe the age of the players, I think Iā€™d have been waiting for injuries and suspensions. Realistically, if youā€™ve been there four years you expect more than that.

ā€œIā€™m not going to be happy unless Iā€™m on the pitch on a regular basis. Iā€™m 26 now and the next four or five years are going to be my best. Iā€™m really excited about this move because the ambition is there to get better. In the three seasons Mark Hughes has had youā€™ve seen the progress Stoke have made, the players heā€™s brought in and the style he has imposed. Weā€™ve finished ninth three seasons running and the aim now is to look at those places above.ā€

Stokeā€™s capture of Allen is even more impressive when you consider his performances at the European Championship. The heartbeat of the Wales midfield, he produced his best display in the stunning victory over Belgium and was deservedly named in the Team of the Tournament.

Those ā€˜Welsh Pirloā€™ comparisons with the Italian maestro did not seem so far-fetched. The fairy tale ended against eventual winners Portugal in the semi-final but Allen admits it was a life-changing event.

ā€œAs a Welshman Iā€™d always dreamed of reaching a major tournament and wondered if it would ever happen but reaching the semi-finals is unforgettable. We were riding the crest of a wave, getting better and better, but Portugal was just one step too far. It maybe caught up with us.ā€

All the attention garnered from Euro 2016 was a new experience for Allen, who readily admits he is an Average Joe. He is private and humble, though Liverpool players will tell you he was one of the most outgoing members of the squad. It was once revealed that he keeps chickens with his wife Lacey, but other details about the Welshman are scarce. So who is the real Joe Allen?

ā€œIā€™m a family guy who likes to fly under the radar. Thatā€™s why I donā€™t like talking about chickens! Iā€™ve never really been comfortable in the spotlight. Iā€™ve still got a family home in Swansea and get back when I can. People who know me probably get to see the real me.

ā€œIā€™ve been asked about Twitter before and people say I should make more of an effort to get on there. At a club like Liverpool which has global support, people do want more access into you and your life, but Iā€™m a bit more old school.ā€

It is no wonder, then, that he looked so uncomfortable on the Being: Liverpool documentary.

ā€œThat was one of the things that scarred me!ā€ he says, laughing. ā€œI remember walking through the door and there was a camera crew there. Thatā€™s an example of where Iā€™m out of my comfort zone and Iā€™m not a big fan of that side of things.

ā€œIā€™m a footballer and my job is out there on the pitch. Iā€™ve always been a team player and seen my role as helping the team function better. I think Iā€™ve got attributes that can help Stoke.

ā€œEveryone is keeping an eye on Guardiola but weā€™re hoping to make it very difficult for him and his team on Saturday.ā€

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/08/18/joe-allen-i-found-out-from-friends-text-i-was-leaving-liverpool/
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2226: Aug 18, 2016 11:58:10 pm
      If he had to find out from a friend then maybe he should sack his agent for doing a sh*te job instead of mouthing off against the club.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2227: Aug 19, 2016 12:09:17 am
      That's a horsesh*t way to do business and if the club really did that, I'm embarrassed as a supporter. He deserved better than being shipped off without someone at the club letting him know directly. Whether his agent knew or not, the first call should have come from the club, either Ayre or Klopp.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2228: Aug 19, 2016 12:28:53 am
      If he had to find out from a friend then maybe he should sack his agent for doing a sh*te job instead of mouthing off against the club.

Agree.

I'm a big fan of Joe but find it hard to believe that in this day and age his agent wasn't in constant touch with him over his future.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2229: Aug 19, 2016 01:06:09 am
      Agree.

I'm a big fan of Joe but find it hard to believe that in this day and age his agent wasn't in constant touch with him over his future.

Yea, he probably lied so he could try and make the club look bad, because he'd have a reason to do that right?
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #2230: Aug 19, 2016 06:28:12 am
      Yea, he probably lied so he could try and make the club look bad, because he'd have a reason to do that right?

That sounds like a more realistic possibility than Allen not having an inkling that he was going to be sold. It seemed fairly clear from an outside perspective and as said, he has an agent.

He may not have been told 'you've been sold', but there's no doubt he would have known discussions were under way.

Quick Reply