Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Will Liverpool open the 2012/13 League Season with a win? Draw? or a Loss

Liverpool win?
      129 (92.1%)
      Draw
      9 (6.4%)
      WBA win?
      2 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 136

West Bromwich Albion vs Liverpool - Pre-match thread

Read 17691 times
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      West Bromwich Albion vs Liverpool - Pre-match thread
      Aug 12, 2012 08:14:53 pm
      West Bromwich Albion Vs. Liverpool

18/08/2012 - 15:00 GMT

So here we go round 1 of 38, the long awaited start to the season is nearly upon us and what a summer it has been.

For the Mighty LFC, Summer 2012 has seen Kenny, Kuyt, Bellamy, Maxi, Aurelio and Aqualani gone, and Brendan and his young guns Borini and Allen in, with promises of a couple more on the way.

West Brom have had their fair share of moves in the summer too, with old Woy out and focusing 100% on England's demise and our own Steve Clark in to instill some discipline into their ranks. The summers also seen the Baggies loose Scharner, Andrews, Shorey and Tchoyi and bring in Lukaku, Rosenburg, Foster and El Ghanassy.

August has seen the Baggies win 2 of the last 3 in their preseason training, 3-1 against Walsaw 2-0 and Nottingham Forest while drawing with Sheffield Wednesday 1-1. As for Liverpool, we have a 100% record in August beating Gomel twice, 1-0 & 3-0 and getting one over an old friend by beating Samis Leverkusen 3-1.

So where does that leave us? I see this being a good encounter and hopefully we'll get a few early on, to allow us to close up shop and focus on the baptism of fire Brendan awaits in the coming weeks.

My verdict: 0-2 Liverpool (Not picking a starting 11 as think we might have a few more faces by the end of the week)
      « Last Edit: Aug 16, 2012 11:24:06 am by redkenny »
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Re: Prematch - West Bromich Albion vs. Liverpool - (18.08.2012 - 15:00 GMT)
      Reply #1: Aug 12, 2012 08:46:32 pm
      Need to win this, considering the next 6 fixtures. Be good to get 3 points, and build from there.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #2: Aug 12, 2012 08:54:15 pm
      The players should be fitter than WBA really important to get the three points , a good start to the season would be great for the gaffer. C'mon the pool
      Ynwa
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #3: Aug 12, 2012 08:56:17 pm
                                                                                                  REINA

SKRTEL                          AGGER

JOHNSON                                                                        ENRIQUE

LUCAS

ALLEN

GERRARD

DOWNING                                                                    BORINI

SUAREZ

Subs: Jones, Carragher, Shelvey, Henderson, Sterling, Carroll.

0-2, Gerrard and Suarez.

Lets hit the ground running especially as its this 'type' of game. We need to consistently beat sides of this calibre this season.

Can't wait!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Aug 12, 2012 09:17:23 pm
      I'm going to predict a 6-1, think we'll have a stormer of an opening game :D
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #5: Aug 12, 2012 09:28:30 pm
      1-1

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #6: Aug 12, 2012 09:29:00 pm
      I'm going to predict a 6-1, think we'll have a stormer of an opening game :D

May be, but it will depend on early goals.

Thursdays and todays games were better in the way we were not chasing the game. Early goals (21,3) meant we could calm down and play the ball around, and not hoof the ball looking for that illusive goal that has for so long not materilaised.

We have have trounced them 6-0 at the Hawthorns back in 2003, Carragher & Gerrard, were in that team!
      1st goal was after 15 mins, early goals may be the key for this season.

6-1 to use and you are looking at 250-1,
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #7: Aug 12, 2012 09:35:04 pm
      2-0 winning start for us
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: Aug 12, 2012 09:47:57 pm
      Didn't we do crystal palace 6-1 in the opening game of the season in the days of Macmanaman, Redknap, Fowler et all.

Love us to get off to a start like that given the feel good factor of the football we've been playing.

HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: Aug 12, 2012 09:52:34 pm
      Judging by the last 2 games we've played, I can see a 3-0 win for us.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #10: Aug 12, 2012 09:55:13 pm
      3 - 0, Borini with all three.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #11: Aug 12, 2012 10:34:29 pm
      Hope we win this and are as efficient as we were in disposing of Gomel in the week, don't want to be playing catch up after the first game of the season like we normally are. Roll back the days of when we used to tw*t these 5-0, 6-0 in the same season. Come on Reds, lets get setting the pace for a change!
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #12: Aug 12, 2012 11:13:15 pm
      I'm guessing a 2-1 win for us.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #13: Aug 12, 2012 11:15:38 pm
      Can't believe it's almost here, the start of the 2012-13 League Campaign.

I'm not going to make any outrageous predictions, but I can see a decent win for us at the Hawthorns with a 2-0 victory.

I've seen us live twice in the past week and have seen enough to be optimistic, so we hit the ground running and a bit like Usain Bolt, we don't look back till we've won....

Come on you Mighty Red Men, lets get off to a cracking start with a nice little 3 points against WBA  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14: Aug 13, 2012 12:09:35 am
      BUZZING.

Cant wait to get back in to the footy. All hopes start equal and the rigours of PL football knock a team off one by one. I love that its back and what better way than to start off with a win :)
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #15: Aug 13, 2012 12:14:07 am
      Buzzing for this.

Need 3 points. And we'll get it.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #16: Aug 13, 2012 12:20:21 am
      I think we'll win, but it won't be easy as Steve Clarke's new club will fight to get him a win in his first match. That said, my crystal ball says WBA 1-2 Liverpool.

It's so great to be watching football again!  :aaliverpool2xt1:
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #17: Aug 13, 2012 12:25:03 am
      Reina; Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique; Lucas, Allen, Gerrard; Downing, Suarez, Borini.

Hopefully a new winger instead of Downing ;D

Confident we'll start with a win. 2-0, Borini and Suarez.
      Jeze
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #18: Aug 13, 2012 01:04:48 am
      My first post in here.

This season is going to be massively important for us. We can't afford to do worse than last season in the league and with all due respect to Kenny, his tenure showed that football has moved on in terms of tactics and the types of players to feature. If you try to play a more direct game when you are expected to be in charge of the game itself then it becomes a problem (even though our counter-attacking looked boss at times when we played against sides that liked to play ball). The triple victories against Everton and Chelsea were great as were the 1-0 win at Manchester City and we sneaked a win at the Emirates for the first time. However, games like QPR away and Wigan at home showed that the spirit was lost, that the players lacked confidence. It was a tough decision for the owners but ultimately this is football. We now are going to have a young manager who wants a new style and therefore new players. Carroll, Adam, Spearing and Carragher all look to be somewhat less important this year so it's pretty clear that the new boss is not the same as the old boss. We all supported them last season and they are still our players, but we will have a different mentality to the game. I look forward to watch us pass the ball around for minutes when in front 1-0 at Anfield. Just heart, nasty tackling and fighting spirit is not going to be enough even though that was the football many grew up with. When we dominated European football back in the days there were essentially no players from outside the British Isles in the First Division. Now if you watch a game from Germany or Italy on the surface it might look different, but in general players adapt very quickly now and it's evident that Spanish-style football has become the norm. Either that or the football that we see in Bundesliga or with Rafa's Liverpool where it's supposed to go real quick on the floor. With great respect to all players and the staff that served us last season and gave us fine memories from the cups - this is a new season with new hopes and we have two exciting new young players born in the 90's to cheer on. Fabio Borini and Joe Allen, homegrown players with great stamina and with young and fresh legs will be important members in the squad this year. Those guys will be so important to us this season. Borini has to maintain his high ratio of goals per shot shown at Roma, whilst Allen is meant to form a midfield partnership with our dear Lucas that is going to be absolutely key to our success. Remember the partnership between Lucas and Meireles when Kenny first came back? I feel it's going to be those excitement levels again. It could be. Think how those two ran rampant against Manchester City, hassling them every second. As long as we are a side that is damn tough to play against we'll be fine. Last season we too often tired at the end because we couldn't seem to hold onto the ball. I don't want to blame anyone but having paid £20 million to Swansea for their manager and their above 90 %-pass rate playmaker is an interesting choice. We too often only could have possession in the first half last year as far as I remember and then trouble emerged in the second half as tiredness kicked in. New methods, new boss and new excitement. Another false dawn and a managerial casualty within a year? Let's hope those days are gone now.

Is this all going to be enough for top four? One can hope and one can dream. In the last 17 games of 2010-11 we took 33 points and we started last season with 34 in 19. So the quality is there and let's hope we can put two halves together for the first time in a few years now.

Massive again. This game is massive. We all know that our first three home games are pretty daunting so it's very important to get a run going against the lower-half teams from last season we visit on the road. We beat this lot last year away from home and I'd like to think we could repeat it, especially considering that our first 11 have looked pretty adept against Gomel and Leverkusen lately. We don't want a 2010 situation where we had a tough schedule and suddenly found ourselves with 6 points out of 8.

I'd love no better than a sneaky 1-0 win and 65 % possession. 90 minutes for Agger (if he's still here then) and Lucas would surely help that cause.

I certainly hope this is going to be an interesting time and an interesting journey with you on this forum. I certainly hope I haven't offended anyone or gone off topic since this is my first time at this board so that's a concern obviously.

YNWA and let's try and win this and get all behind the team!  :)
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #19: Aug 13, 2012 01:15:51 am
      Confidence will be high, and I think a 2-0 win Borini and Suarez that's my bet for the game!!!Here is a cracking Video to get you all in the humor ..

Liverpool Season Promo 2012/13 HD - by MBouncing
      luciano-lfc
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #20: Aug 13, 2012 01:21:50 am
      We'll win this. I have never felt this confident about the season's first match.

1-3. Suarez, Borini and Gerrard.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #21: Aug 13, 2012 01:28:54 am
      Fantastic to see the full season back :scarf:
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #22: Aug 13, 2012 01:43:04 am
      Would be nice to have a storming start to the season.

WBA will be a tough test no doubt though, like what the new manager is doing in regards to new players.

Quick Reply