Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Best moment of London 2012?

Read 6450 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Best moment of London 2012?
      Aug 13, 2012 12:50:56 am
      Hard to believe it's all over isn't it?! Hard not to get emotional after waiting 7 years and then it begins and ends in what feels like the blink of an eye.

So what was your favourite moment of the games? There's a lot to choose from I think! Danny Boyle's opening ceremony had me almost choking up on more than a few occasions. I'll never forget that Industrial Revolution section which culminated in the forging of the Olympic rings high above in the air and the lighting of the cauldron which was beautiful. They all said Beijing's ceremony couldn't be matched. True - it was never going to be matched in terms of scale and power but Danny Boyle never made me so proud with a ceremony that was moving, poignant and funny. Another moment I'll remember for a long time is Zac Purchase and Mark Hunter in absolute bits after missing out on gold in the rowing last Saturday morning was hard to take in, made more tough considering just moments before the British were celebrating two gold medals. But then there was last Saturday evening. I will never forget that hour or so between 9pm and 10pm when Britain won three golds in quick succession thanks to Jess Ennis, Greg Rutherford and Mo Farah. When Jessica Ennis received her gold medal it topped off probably the greatest night of sport I have ever seen alongside Istanbul. That was definitely my moment of the games. The last two weeks made me very proud to be British without any of the nationalist or royalist connotations people are so often tagged with these days if you declare pride for your country. But because of the efforts of thousands even millions of normal, hard working people they definitely gave me a whole new reason to be proud of the country I live in!
      MsGerrard
      Re: Best moment of London 2012?
      Reply #1: Aug 13, 2012 03:28:05 pm
      ^^^That's a great post FMS and well deserving of a plus  :gt-happyup:

My highlights of the Olympics were of course the opening ceremony, that will be hard to top by anybody, and although I thought the closing ceremony was fantastic, it didn't quite match up to the opening one.

The amount of gold medals we won was an amazing tally, I don't think anybody expected us to get that many, Jess Ennis, Sir Chris Hoy, Bradley Wiggins, Ben Ainslie, Laura Trott, Victoria Pendleton were my outstanding athletes, but everyone who participated deserves applause.

Throughly enjoyed it all and brought some pride back to Britain.

Well done to all the athletes, the organisers and anyone who made it possible.

Looking forward to Rio 2016 already.

Diego are you ready !!!!!!  :laugh:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2: Aug 13, 2012 05:22:07 pm

Found out today that Danny Boyle plans to release the opening ceremony on dvd with extra bits added in so we get the full picture of what went on. I'd definitely pay for that. It cost a lot of money to host the games but it really was worth every penny. You never quite know how good something is until you experience it.
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #3: Aug 13, 2012 05:50:07 pm
      Best moment, would have to agree between 9 and 10pm on saturday, the golds kept coming, then Mo getting another medal was very special. Really enjoyed the bikes, even though there was one race, persuit I think it was called, that I really didnt understand. Before the games started wasnt really interested, but I got into the spirit and really started enjoying them all, even ones I never really understood, or even wanted too. Sad to see them gone........oh well footie starts soon :D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Aug 13, 2012 05:53:39 pm
      Katie Taylor and Jess Ennis, for completely different reasons.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #5: Aug 13, 2012 07:02:12 pm
      Think the inital opening post sums it up perfectly.

Saturday night was amazing with Ennis Rutherford and Mo, Wednesday with the Rowers was brilliant.

Every time a medal was won another 3 or four arrived in quick time

The whole two weeks made me appreciate sport so much more . Footballers can learn a lot in regards sportsmanship and spirit from Olympians.

Football will be under a massive spotlight now - lets hope it doesn't embarrass itself
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #6: Aug 13, 2012 07:29:41 pm

Saturday night was amazing with Ennis Rutherford and Mo, Wednesday with the Rowers was brilliant.

The whole two weeks made me appreciate sport so much more . Footballers can learn a lot in regards sportsmanship and spirit from Olympians.

Football will be under a massive spotlight now - lets hope it doesn't embarrass itself

The Olympics was a far cry from spoilt cheating diving overpaid footballers who will cheat to win. The Olympics made me realise why I love sport so much.

Gemma Gibbons in Judo looking up and saying ' I love you mum' after defeating the world champion via ippon and reaching the final was my favourite moment. But there were so many. Katherine Copeland in the rowing with Sophie Hosking, Murray in the tennis, Tom Daley, the gymnastics, Mo farah, Jess Ennis, Vicky Pendleton, Laura Trott, Rutherford, Ainslee, Sir Chris Hoy...and on and on and on. Then you've got Phelps and Bolt...electrifying !! Really enjoyed the games and sad it has ended!!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #7: Aug 13, 2012 07:55:31 pm
      Would be quite difficult for me to single out one thing as there were so many to make you feel proud ,it even got my missus all teary eyed , even phoned me in work to tell me she was watching the triathlon and giving me a running commentary ,she loved it all,  as for a memory

Watching Mo running on sat night and seeing the whole bar cheering on a black man to win a race for britain , just showed for me how far we have come and how united we became during the games ,if a tiny bit of that remains then the games will have left a far bigger legacy than we could have hoped for.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #8: Aug 13, 2012 08:08:44 pm

It's horrible but come next week we will all go back to conflict and argument and in despair at the primitive behaviour of our footballers. The referees, the opposition fans and all the other negative baggage that comes when following football will be placed upon our shoulders again. It's sad that we have to go back to that so soon after the brilliance of the last two weeks. Football fans just get a raw deal. The last two weeks has actually put into perspective the immense lack of respect footballers show to us fans.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #9: Aug 13, 2012 08:11:34 pm
      ^^^ I agree with all that above. Some great stuff in there.

My favourite moment has to be when GB won 3 Athletics gold medals in the space of an hour just over a week ago - Jess Ennis, Mo Farah and Greg Rutherford. I loved that. Other highlights are the opening ceremony, Sir Chris Hoy winning the Keirin, Bradley Wiggins winning the time trial, Laura Trott winning the Omnium and Jade Jones winning GB's first ever gold in Taekwondo.

Gutted it's over.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #10: Aug 13, 2012 08:12:33 pm
      It's horrible but come next week we will all go back to conflict and argument. In despair at the primitive behaviour of our footballers. The referees, the opposition fans and all the other negative baggage that comes when following football. It's sad that we have to go back to that so soon after the brilliance of the last two weeks. Football fans just get a raw deal. The last two weeks has actually put into perspective the immense lack of respect footballers show to us football fans.

Well said. Professional football can learn a lot from the Olympics we've just witnessed.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #11: Aug 13, 2012 08:40:48 pm
      Well said. Professional football can learn a lot from the Olympics we've just witnessed.

Definitely! Not only can the professional footballers learn but those right at the top of the sport as well. Compare the ways the Football Association and British Cycling run their respective sports. One is an absolute shambles of an organisation who have absolutely no structure or philosophy in place to succeed. One minute they talk about the importance of teaching young kids basic technical skills such as "passing the ball". The next minute they hire a dinosaur manager with dinosaur tactics on a long term contract who constantly witters on about the irrelevant tactic of keeping the ball. Just one of the many hypocrisies riddled throughout the FA. British Cycling on the other hand are a seamless, strong and efficient structure built upon a unique philosophy. Their success is based on the system and not the individual as the FA continue to believe.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #12: Aug 13, 2012 08:46:41 pm
      It's horrible but come next week we will all go back to conflict and argument and in despair at the primitive behaviour of our footballers. The referees, the opposition fans and all the other negative baggage that comes when following football will be placed upon our shoulders again. It's sad that we have to go back to that so soon after the brilliance of the last two weeks. Football fans just get a raw deal. The last two weeks has actually put into perspective the immense lack of respect footballers show to us fans.

Spot on mate - I'm very down in regards football at the moment - its not a pure game , there is no spirit or sportsmanship , it's full of cheaters and full of hatred beyond belief. Sometimes people seem more worried about hating another club and concentrating the efforts there than supporting your own. Fans are part of the reason - no respect for the game - just look at the fans booing an anthem all because of one player ?! Football is becoming a disgusting sport where winning is all that counts and any method will do.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #13: Aug 13, 2012 11:24:17 pm
      Fantastic article that sums up everything good about the London Olympics better than I can:

http://andy6smith.hubpages.com/hub/London-2012-The-Inspiration-for-a-Nation

It's quite long but well worth a read.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #14: Aug 14, 2012 12:28:12 am
      Fantastic article that sums up everything good about the London Olympics better than I can:

http://andy6smith.hubpages.com/hub/London-2012-The-Inspiration-for-a-Nation

It's quite long but well worth a read.

You should see what the other nations are saying about Britain and London 2012. Universal praise. A couple of Australian papers saying that it eclipsed Sydney as the greatest games ever. What an unbelievable tribute.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9471860/London-2012-wins-gold-medal-for-best-Olympics-ever.html#

It's almost as if....can't we stage the Olympics here every 4 years?!

Also just to add to my original post I'd like to give a shout out to two athletes from the same country - South Africa. Oscar Pistorius becoming the first ever double amputee to compete at the Olympics, as part of his country's 4x100m relay team as well as competing in the 400m, was a sight to behold and probably one of the best moments of any Olympics. Also a shout out to Caster Semenya who finished with silver in the 800m. Three years on after being publicly and universally humiliated, when she was put under gender testing by the IAAF, the guts that girl showed to return on the biggest stage and take the silver medal is testament to her character.

And the fact that 44% of athletes competing this year were female (women for the very first time outnumbering men in the USA squad) and for the very first Olympics in which women were represented within every nation competing is a further tribute to what has been a great games. Let's hope Rio in 4 years matches and even improves on that statistic!
      « Last Edit: Aug 14, 2012 01:16:49 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #15: Aug 14, 2012 12:50:20 am
      You should see what the other nations are saying about Britain and London 2012. Universal praise. A couple of Australian papers saying that it eclipsed Sydney as the greatest games ever. What an unbelievable tribute.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9471860/London-2012-wins-gold-medal-for-best-Olympics-ever.html#

It's almost as if....can't we stage the Olympics here every 4 years?!

Also just to add to my original post I'd like to give a shout out to two athletes from the same country - South Africa. Oscar Pistorius becoming the first ever double amputee to compete at the Olympics, as part of his country's 4x100m relay team as well as competing in the 400m, was a sight to behold and probably one of the best moments of any Olympics. Also a shout out to Caster Semenya who finished with silver in the 800m. Three years on after being publicly and universally humiliated when she was put under gender testing by the IAAF the guts that girl showed to return on the biggest stage and take the silver medal is testament to her character.

And the fact that 44% of athletes competing this year were female (women for the very first time outnumbering men in the USA squad) and for the very first Olympics in which women were represented within every nation competing is a further tribute to what has been a great games. Let's hope Rio in 4 years matches and even improves on that statistic!

Once again, I agree with all of your points made here.

Caster Semenya could easily have won the gold in the 800M if she had timed her late charge better. She finished that race like the proverbial train. It was noted in the BBC commentary, I think by Michael Johnson, that she may have been scared to win because of the publicity and what she has already been through.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #16: Aug 14, 2012 01:00:46 am
      The 3 gold Saturday for sure.

Until Liverpool win the title, I don't think I'll go to a sporting event on that level.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #17: Aug 14, 2012 01:16:06 am
      Once again, I agree with all of your points made here.

Caster Semenya could easily have won the gold in the 800M if she had timed her late charge better. She finished that race like the proverbial train. It was noted in the BBC commentary, I think by Michael Johnson, that she may have been scared to win because of the publicity and what she has already been through.

Yeah  it was Colin Jackson who made that claim. Michael Johnson refuted the idea claiming that she wouldn't have turned up if she didn't want the gold medal and also that after all she's been through she's shown herself to be too much of a fighter to not think any other way . It was a really great point by Johnson. One of many pundits and presenters the BBC can be proud of. I think he, Ian Thorpe and Chris Boardman were pundits of the highest quality. Generally the whole of BBC's coverage was outstanding. Just a shame next week we'll be stuck with the terrible drones of Mark Lawrenson, Guy Mowbray and co.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #18: Aug 14, 2012 01:28:29 am
      Yeah  it was Colin Jackson who made that claim. Michael Johnson refuted the idea claiming that she wouldn't have turned up if she didn't want the gold medal and also that after all she's been through she's shown herself to be too much of a fighter to not think any other way . It was a really great point by Johnson. One of many pundits and presenters the BBC can be proud of. I think he, Ian Thorpe and Chris Boardman were pundits of the highest quality. Generally the whole of BBC's coverage was outstanding. Just a shame next week we'll be stuck with the terrible drones of Mark Lawrenson, Guy Mowbray and co.

Ahh that's right, it was Colin Jackson and Michael Johnson held the opposite view as you rightly say.

The BBC can be very proud of their coverage. They did an excellent job. Agree totally about Michael Johnson, Ian Thorpe and Chris Boardman, and with what you say about the football commentary and pundit team.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #19: Aug 14, 2012 02:52:36 pm
      Farah was a great moment in the 5k.But Laura Trott in the omnium was fantastic especially having ridden three world record rounds of the team pursuit.Chris hoy winning the Kierin Ben Ainsley how can you choose .The boxers where great the rowers where wonderful.
      But a bit like Seb Coe mentioned the crowds were incredible and made the games for me.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #20: Aug 14, 2012 03:05:26 pm
      Irish pride aside, the cycling for me was the most impressive part.
      I do of course mean apart from the opening ceremony which was fantastic.

I really thought Hoy was gone and then he just kept powering on for the gold.
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #21: Aug 14, 2012 04:10:23 pm
      Gotta be Mo for me. Seeing the whole of Africa looming behind him I thought he was gone but he managed to boss both races from the front which aint easy.

Spot on mate - I'm very down in regards football at the moment - its not a pure game , there is no spirit or sportsmanship , it's full of cheaters and full of hatred beyond belief. Sometimes people seem more worried about hating another club and concentrating the efforts there than supporting your own. Fans are part of the reason - no respect for the game - just look at the fans booing an anthem all because of one player ?! Football is becoming a disgusting sport where winning is all that counts and any method will do.

Well put. Do you think there will be a backlash against footy following the pride and class shown in the Olympics?

The 3 gold Saturday for sure.

Until Liverpool win the title, I don't think I'll go to a sporting event on that level.

Lets hope that happens before we stage another Olympics!!
      « Last Edit: Aug 14, 2012 04:45:33 pm by Reslivo »
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #22: Aug 14, 2012 11:12:30 pm
      Too many to chose from!  Seriously, way too many.

Jade Jones, only because I'm from just down the road from her, North Wales GOLD!  Don't get to say that too often!  Well proud of the little lass!

The cycling as always, but that's one of my favourite sports ever.  Brilliant performances across the board!

Ben Ainslee, what a star, would not give up his position as top dog!

Andy Murray!  Top of the tree at last!  Well in Andy!

Rowing, F**k me, that's a tough sport.  I had the opportunity once in uni to take part in a regatta, it was so hard!  And even worse, we trained with them for a few sessions after.  Those guys are seriously strong!  And that was just at a "low" level.  Hats off to all the rowers, and especially the GB ones who once again brought an awful lot of the goodies home!  Most successful team according to the BBC!

Away from the Brits (and no disrespect intended because I don't know the athlete's names), I loved seeing that Ugandan lad winning the marathon, Usain doing the business closely followed by Blake.  The German throwing lad that jumped over the hurdles celebrating his win :D  The American women breaking the 4x100m relay record.   David Rudisha breaking the men's 800m WR!  Fantastic efforts in the pool, Michael Phelps becoming the greatest Olympian ever!

Back to the Brits. Beth Tweddle and Louis Smith, was delighted for them.  And the canoeists, the shooting, the judo, and the boxing.  I want to try white water canoeing, that looks sick!  I also loved the boxing, first time ever for women in the games and GB and Ireland come away with golds.  Fantastic! And the men were boss too! That 45 minutes on that Saturday night, Jess, Greg and Mo, superstars!  And not forgetting the Brownlee brothers!  Too many to mention.

And, for me, the equestrian events brought huge delight!  Nick Skelton and the show-jumping team riding their laps of honour pretty much summed up the games for me, the sheer delight they showed as they rode around and around the arena at Greenwich was just F***ing boss!  I've never watched dressage before, I always dismissed it as ponies "plinky-plonking" their way around the arena, how wrong was I?  I plinky-plonked my way around to far less effect than those horses and riders did as I was trying to keep time with them.  Loved the music and the horses dancing!  I've never seen a Kur event before, but it was brilliant!

Still can't call what I loved the best, I just loved all of it really!

And I'm really looking forward to the Paralympics!

Quick Reply