Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Liverpool Man of the Match?

Pepe Reina
      53 (30.5%)
      Joe Allen
      65 (37.4%)
      Luis Suarez
      32 (18.4%)
      Somebody else
      24 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Voting closed: Aug 22, 2012 04:57:05 pm

West Brom 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate

Read 71366 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: West Brom 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #1150: Aug 19, 2012 02:07:36 pm
      Relax, its just the first game of the season. Ill reserve my judgement untill we have played at least 4 or 5 games.  For now, shut up and back the team

Just one comment to those of you who think possesion is dominance. We had almost 70% possesion in this game, and lost 3-0 to a team that DOMINATED us while keeping the ball just 30% of the time. Dominance is control, and if your possesion is harmless, the other team is owning you by letting you have the ball...

Actually 57% possession and whilst not always correct, their is a correlation between winning games & possession.
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Reply #1151: Aug 19, 2012 02:07:50 pm

Just one comment to those of you who think possesion is dominance. We had almost 70% possesion in this game, and lost 3-0 to a team that DOMINATED us while keeping the ball just 30% of the time. Dominance is control, and if your possesion is harmless, the other team is owning you by letting you have the ball...

Exactly, juz watching wigan vs chelsea game. Chavs are so happy to give wigan plenty of posession coz they are not doing anything useful with it. Like WBA did with us yesterday. And ofcource steve clarke knows our players better than BR that we are not good in converting posesion into chances and goals.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #1152: Aug 19, 2012 02:11:35 pm
      I'm so glad you don't own the team.
      We had 57%
      43% of the time

If you want to come across as someone who knows what they are talking about, you should at least get your facts right.
      Sorry, my clock broke down, and the point still stands.
       I dont want to come across as anything, just giving my opinion, but i guess you are the type of people who dont value opinions other than yours. Its weird, its the first time this happens to me in this forum in over a year.

QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #1153: Aug 19, 2012 02:15:58 pm
      Actually 57% possession and whilst not always correct, their is a correlation between winning games & possession.
      Wouldnt bet on that  one.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,244 posts | 8576 
      Reply #1154: Aug 19, 2012 02:17:39 pm
       I dont want to come across as anything, just giving my opinion, but i guess you are the type of people who dont value opinions other than yours. Its weird, its the first time this happens to me in this forum in over a year.

Don't worry about it, everyone's got a nark-on cos we got beat.

I'm so glad you don't own the team.

He has a point though, some of the cry-arsing on here after yesterday's defeat has been a bit F***ing embarrassing, so shut the F**k up and back the team!

Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,548 posts | 1093 
      Reply #1155: Aug 19, 2012 02:18:27 pm
      They had so many chances to score goals, i mean they didn't needed to create some thing out of nothing. Gerrard at his peak was some thing special. He is not even a shadow himself now. May be he plays better in a withdrawn role like he did for england. But we have allen now for that role. Hope BR will find some one who is creative or who can put the ball into net provided that player will join us.

They did have alot of chances to score goals. But so does Luis and he fails time and time again. Luis is a creator who may get 10-15 max a season in my eyes. But he will make just as many. Fowler and Owen were not creators...they were destroyers and that is what we lack at the moment and have since torres left!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,520 posts | 1509 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1156: Aug 19, 2012 02:33:50 pm
      Don't worry about it, everyone's got a nark-on cos we got beat.

He has a point though, some of the cry-arsing on here after yesterday's defeat has been a bit F***ing embarrassing, so shut the F**k up and back the team!
      Well if that's aimed at me, I'll say f*ck you and go read my posts on the game. You'll see I've backed the team to the hilt and defended them as well.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,520 posts | 1509 
      Reply #1157: Aug 19, 2012 02:34:37 pm
      I'll value your opinion when you get your facts right.

I think that's fair and logical.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1158: Aug 19, 2012 02:37:01 pm

In games where their is a one goal difference, your right, it's about 50/50 on who has the most possession, the victors or losers, in games with a win by two or more, it swings massively in favour of the team with possession. 
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #1159: Aug 19, 2012 02:39:44 pm
      I'll value your opinion when you get your facts right.

I think that's fair and logical.
      Well, we had the ball 51 minutes, they had the ball 38 minutes...you know what i meant and you are just being picky
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #1160: Aug 19, 2012 02:42:08 pm
      In games where their is a one goal difference, your right, it's about 50/50 on who has the most possession, the victors or losers, in games with a win by two or more, it swings massively in favour of the team with possession. 
      And do you know what the most repeated result is in football history? And the second most common result? Yep you guessed right!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,520 posts | 1509 
      Reply #1161: Aug 19, 2012 02:42:53 pm
      Well, we had the ball 51 minutes, they had the ball 38 minutes...you know what i meant and you are just being picky
      But you said we had 70% of the possession which is the lion's share isn't it? Also, having 70% or 57% greatly influences the reader's perception of the game. You said 70% and we did nothing with it, and that would be correct, but you really can't use the same argument with 57%. Hence your evaluation was wrong.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #1162: Aug 19, 2012 02:48:41 pm
      But you said we had 70% of the possession which is the lion's share isn't it? Also, having 70% or 57% greatly influences the reader's perception of the game. You said 70% and we did nothing with it, and that would be correct, but you really can't use the same argument with 57%. Hence your evaluation was wrong.
      You are missing the point, or my english is far worse than i tought!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,520 posts | 1509 
      Reply #1163: Aug 19, 2012 02:53:16 pm
      You are missing the point, or my english is far worse than i tought!

So what's your point?
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #1164: Aug 19, 2012 03:03:14 pm
      Having the ball more time than the opposition isnt necesarily dominating a game. Some teams just let you have the ball, because its their way of owning you. We were bad yesterday as a team, lets build from here. As I said, i dont think we can judge so soon. For now, ill shut up and back the team

still think we miss one or two players to practice this type of football, or time for the current players to develop a taste for it
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,520 posts | 1509 
      Reply #1165: Aug 19, 2012 03:12:52 pm
      Having the ball more time than the opposition isnt necesarily dominating a game. Some teams just let you have the ball, because its their way of owning you. We were bad yesterday as a team, lets build from here. As I said, i dont think we can judge so soon. For now, ill shut up and back the team

still think we miss one or two players to practice this type of football, or time for the current players to develop a taste for it

Completely agree with you.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #1166: Aug 19, 2012 03:15:44 pm
      We lost because in the first half we failed to take our chances and in the second half we fu**ed up at the back

Big improvement is needed for the next 3 games or we could easily find ourselves staring at 4 defeats to start the season.

Yesterday was the game we are expected to win.
      bobdeakin2009
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 805 posts |
      • Form is temporary, Class is permanent
      Reply #1167: Aug 19, 2012 03:41:58 pm
      We lost because in the first half we failed to take our chances and in the second half we fu**ed up at the back

Big improvement is needed for the next 3 games or we could easily find ourselves staring at 4 defeats to start the season.

Yesterday was the game we are expected to win.

That is why I am looking on the next three games with optimism. We always lose the games we should win and win the games we probably shouldn't. I am not saying that's the way it should be or anything. But that's how it is.
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #1168: Aug 19, 2012 04:33:30 pm
      If we officiate the game by the textbook, then yes.. both were penalties and Agger correctly received a red card (albeit, one could argue that the Agger foul began just outside the box). By the textbook, yes we could say the game was lost due to our failings. However, the reality is, football is not played by the textbook.

This is why we call them "soft" and "harsh" decisions. The norm is that these incidents would not have warranted penalties and a red card. Most referree decisions would not have gone that way at all. It's the inconsistency that makes these decisions controversial. This is game 1 - How many times will we see other fouls from the last defender which do not result in a red card this season? How many times will we see the slightest clip of the foot not result in a penalty?? and more so, how many times do we see these decisions go against Liverpool? (and for that matter, the amount of times Man Utd receive favourable treatment).

Phil Dowd was determined to see Liverpool lose out yesterday. I've not watched a premier league game with such dubious decisions for many years.

* Yellow card for Glen Johnson (I can understand.. but the fact that other similar tackles from West Brom were not carded makes it harsh)
      * Yellow card for Suarez (ridiculous. He threw his hand up in frustration.. but we see that all the time. Long did exactly the same thing when he thought he was fouled infront of the linesman.. and he didn't receive a yellow!)
      * Yellow card for Lucas (a joke. The slightest touch on the arm, and his man went down..)
      * Red card for Agger ("technically" yes, but as above, harsh given that so many times this would barely receive a yellow. He didn't take out his man. He just leant on Long's back.. and Long tumbled)
      * 1st penalty (fine if in area (albeit Long went down for it) but dubious nonetheless)
      * 2nd penalty (looked to me like this was to make up for the fact that Long missed! 'give them another chance' Very, very soft!)

Are referees ever investigated? Phil Dowd looked like he was a man on a mission..
      PG LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      • JFT96
      Reply #1169: Aug 19, 2012 04:46:36 pm
      I have to agree DanMann, I watched the match on MOTD, not ideal I know, but none the less couldn't believe how one sided the decisions were, the pundits chose to not touch on the subject in any great depth either.
      I think it was a factor though not fully responsible for our downfall our chance conversion must be improved....and did think the mere presence of Carroll when he came on gave their defence something different to deal with. Anyway keep the faith YNWA :)
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #1170: Aug 19, 2012 04:59:44 pm
       WBA were the better team
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #1171: Aug 19, 2012 05:08:02 pm

After the full 90, yes. But up until the peno and red card, debatable.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,520 posts | 1509 
      Reply #1172: Aug 19, 2012 05:10:00 pm

Exactly.

In the cold light of day, you have to hold your hands up and admit they were better than us.

Clarke knew our players as well as the Gaffer, if not better.

Quick Reply