Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Sir Norman Bettison - Petition To Resign

Read 16082 times
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Re: Sir Norman Bettison - Petition To Resign
      Reply #46: Oct 23, 2012 08:13:32 pm
      Agreed.

The Home Secretary has said that emergency legislation can be passed which would cover this.

If he resigns anytime soon, before any legal action can be taken, the Merseyside tax payers will still be paying his pension.  That is so wrong.  He can't be allowed to retire yet.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #47: Oct 23, 2012 09:04:15 pm
      If he and the other thousand odd cops are found guilty, they should be stripped of their pensions.

Let the cu*ts suffer the way the families have suffered, made worse by the fact that these cu*ts must have been sniggering up their sleeves thinking they'd got away with it.

In order of seriousness of crime committed:
      Large fine
      Loss of Pension
      Prison

or a combination of the above.

I hope those cu*ts die in hovels with maggot infested cocks, being used as AIDS dumps for arse obsessed junkies.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #48: Oct 23, 2012 09:28:02 pm
      If a lower ranking police officer was involved in perjury and conspiracy allegations remotely similar to those faced by Bettison, he would be relieved of his duties with immediate effect!!!
      I would have thought Bettison's elevated status demanded even more forthright steps.
      Perhaps him retaining office indicates the establishment still believes their deceit is sustainable.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #49: Oct 23, 2012 09:31:18 pm
      If he resigns anytime soon, before any legal action can be taken, the Merseyside tax payers will still be paying his pension.  That is so wrong.  He can't be allowed to retire yet.

That must not be allowed to happen. The MPs who spoke so well yesterday will all be aware of this, I'm sure.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #50: Oct 23, 2012 09:37:42 pm
      If a lower ranking police officer was involved in perjury and conspiracy allegations remotely similar to those faced by Bettison, he would be relieved of his duties with immediate effect!!!
      I would have thought Bettison's elevated status demanded even more forthright steps.
      Perhaps him retaining office indicates the establishment still believes their deceit is sustainable.

I think they probably did think that before Teresa May's speech yesterday stuey, but this makes me think/hope they have realised they are up sh*t creek without a paddle and they want him to go now for damage limitation.

That must not be allowed to happen. The MPs who spoke so well yesterday will all be aware of this, I'm sure.

They need to suspend him until legal proceedings begin, imo.  With NO PENSION.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #51: Oct 23, 2012 10:36:21 pm
      I think they probably did think that before Teresa May's speech yesterday stuey, but this makes me think/hope they have realised they are up sh*t creek without a paddle and they want him to go now for damage limitation.

They need to suspend him until legal proceedings begin, imo.  With NO PENSION.

All the candidates for the West Yorkshire Police Commisionaires job have just been interviewed on our local news.  They've all said if he doesn't resign in the next 3 weeks he will be sacked when they get in office.

I guess if he's sacked he loses his pension anyway.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #52: Oct 23, 2012 10:54:42 pm
      All the candidates for the West Yorkshire Police Commisionaires job have just been interviewed on our local news.  They've all said if he doesn't resign in the next 3 weeks he will be sacked when they get in office.

I guess if he's sacked he loses his pension anyway.

Good news Debs.  They are now aware that his actions are not doing "the force" any favours.

Seriously though, if this is what the candidates for the Commisionaires job are saying, WYP need to sack him now, if they want the Police to retain a shred of credibility.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #53: Oct 24, 2012 12:31:38 am
      Good news Debs.  They are now aware that his actions are not doing "the force" any favours.

Seriously though, if this is what the candidates for the Commisionaires job are saying, WYP need to sack him now, if they want the Police to retain a shred of credibility.

Think that's part of the problem though Lyn, they can't be sacked.  The way the system has worked is that they get out of any disciplinary action by retiring early on a nice fat pension.  That won't happen with these new commisionaires.

I believe that the Hillsborough Panels report is going to have long reaching effects on the justice system,  how things are investigated and especially on Inquiries and Inquests.

These emergency measures that are being considered now so that retired officers have to give evidence and can be charged must have them fearing the worst.  They really have nowhere to hide now.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #54: Oct 24, 2012 12:38:25 pm
      He's gone.  Just been breaking news on Sky but no reports to post link.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #55: Oct 24, 2012 12:40:13 pm
      david bartlett ‏@davidbartlett1
      BREAKING: Norman Bettison has resigned as chief constable of West Yorkshire Police

Retweeted by Neil Jones
      Expand Collapse Reply RetweetedRetweet
      Delete
      FavoritedFavorite

He's resigned, all over the place, breaking as I post.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #56: Oct 24, 2012 12:43:00 pm
      Just seen it on twitter too:

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes
      Norman Bettison has resigned as chief constable of West Yorkshire Police. Brilliant news but long overdue.

Sir Norman Bettison resigns from West Yorkshire Police

West Yorkshire Police chief constable Sir Norman Bettison has resigned from the force.

The resignation comes as his role in the aftermath of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster is being investigated.

At the time of the tragedy, Sir Norman was a South Yorkshire Police inspector who attended the match as a spectator and later took part in an internal inquiry.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20067716
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #57: Oct 24, 2012 12:44:44 pm
      It's great news but only if it means he doesn't wriggle out of any potential charges he might face.

whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #58: Oct 24, 2012 12:46:14 pm
      It's great news but only if it means he doesn't wriggle out of any potential charges he might face.

Absolutely.  Got to hope that the new legislation Teresa May talked about is put into place asap.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #59: Oct 24, 2012 12:47:53 pm
      Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes
      Bettison's resignation should make those who brought him to Merseyside examine their own consciences. Over to you Councillor Gustafson......
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #60: Oct 24, 2012 12:50:15 pm
      Absolutely.  Got to hope that the new legislation Teresa May talked about is put into place asap.

Totally ageed Lyn.  Unbelievable that he thought he could weather the storm after the Panels report.  It seems after the letter disclosed on Tuesday night he realised the game was up.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #61: Oct 26, 2012 01:18:49 pm
      If he is found to have acted outside the law officially he will lose his pension and at this time a prosecution looks more than likely. 
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,226 posts | 2806 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #62: Oct 26, 2012 06:06:28 pm
      Can we remove the "sir" from the title, we shouldn't reognise that title for him
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #63: Oct 26, 2012 06:08:34 pm
      Another knight of the realm and as much of an odious c**t:-

liverpool Echo

Ingham: I would Give Evidence

A KEY aide to Margaret Thatcher refused to apologise for allegedly briefing the media that a ''tanked up mob'' of Liverpool supporters was to blame for the Hillsborough tragedy.
      Confronted by the Echo at Westminster Sir Bernard Ingham - the former PM's press secretary - ducked a series of questions about his role in the falsifying of reports describing the tragedy.
      However the 80-year-old did agree to give evidence to any further investigation into the cover-up.
      Sir Bernard had previously revealed that South Yorkshire Police officers told Lady Thatcher and him the day after the disaster that ''a tanked up mob'' of fans outside the ground were to blame.
      Ever since he has faced accusations that journalists were encouraged to pursue that accusation as the Thatcher government sought to deflect attention from the police.

After giving evidence to a Commons Select Committee Ingham refused to answer when asked if he regretted anything about the way he briefed the media in the days after the tragedy.
      When asked if he would give evidence he replied ''of course''.

He's got no F***ing choice, he's legally required to give evidence.
      Hated the man with a vengeance in the Thatcher nightmare, the establishment of course gave the lecherous old c**t a knighthood and the witch a ladyship - the bigger they make them the harder they fall. 

Quick Reply