Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The UK v The U.S. Musically

Read 8043 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      The UK v The U.S. Musically
      Aug 21, 2012 01:09:58 pm
      Put your nationality and favourite musical styles to the side for the minute and lets debate which country over the last 65 years has given us the best music!

UK has given us some of the greatest bands of all time. The Beatles the Rolling stones, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood mac, the who right through to Oasis, Radiohead etc

Can the US compete bands wise?

The U.S. gave us solo artists like Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen plus some of the great female artists. Can the U.K compete as solo artists?

Discuss!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Re: The UK v The U.S. Musically
      Reply #1: Aug 21, 2012 01:27:38 pm
      I've been a fan of rock / metal since I was a kid so from my point of view, this has almost completely flipped.

Britain produced some of the best and most influential rock bands right up to the mid-late 80s:

Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Motörhead, Venom et al...

Then America took over with metal bands such as Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Fear Factory, Anthrax etc...
      Followed by and alongside the grunge era bands of Sonic Youth, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Rage Against The Machine, RHCP, Jane's Addiction....

At that time, the old British bands were still going but we almost completely stopped producing any decent new bands and more of an Indie scene grew here.

So in summary, I'd say the U.S wins but if I'd been born in a generation earlier, I might say different.

We can be proud of what Britain has produced but it's almost gone now.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Aug 21, 2012 01:43:12 pm
      Pearl Jam
      Nirvana
      Soundgarden
      Alice In Chains
      Foo Fighters
      Queens of the Stone Age
      Rage Against The Machine
      Metallica
      Smashing Pumpkins
      Red Hot Chili Peppers
      Outkast

This could take awhile.

US for me.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #3: Aug 21, 2012 02:24:10 pm
      Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Judas Priest, UFO, Led Zeppelin, Diamond Head, Rainbow, Tokyo Blade, Angel Witch, Saxon, Quartz, Witchfynde, Whitesnake, Dio, Uriah Heep, Pink Floyd, Girlschool, Cream etc. ;)

But yeah, I've named all older bands and they're all part of my favourite era and genre of music.  There's no doubt more recent or current US rock/metal bands are better than the UK which is a shame considering what UK music once was - and I don't even particularly like Queen or The Beatles. :D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #4: Aug 21, 2012 04:02:54 pm
      Great thread topic. To me it's a decade-by-decade shift almost.

50s - undoubtedly American. The birth of Rock, and the forefathers of it all. Chuck Berry, Elvis, Eddie Cochran, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis. The list goes on. Meanwhile, Lonnie Donegan and Cliff Richards and the Shadow just don't compare.

60s - British for me. The greatest of all time in The Beatles, plus all the bands they opened the door for. First wave "British Invasion" bands like the Stones, Who, Hollies, Kinks, etc. Second wave was the blues-based bands like Cream, Led Zeppelin, etc. There was some good US music as well, like all the great early Motown records, CCR, and (leaving out some I can't think of - apologies!) but I'd say Britain had the better music. 

I don't listen to too much 70s and 80s stuff, but the 90s seems pretty split down the middle for me. Obviously Oasis was huge, but so were Nirvana and Pearl Jam, for example.

What makes it all so great is the constant influence each country has on the other's music.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5: Aug 21, 2012 06:39:15 pm
      I'd say I'm mad for only REM, The Beach Boys and Bruce Springsteen when it comes to the US. Solo artist wise I don't think you can look beyond the US. On the bands front though it's all British for me mostly. Led by The Beatles we got the Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Who. Classic defining bands who steamrollered everything. And then you get something of a watershed moment again with the likes of The Smiths in the 80s. The Police were outsanding. Oasis, Blur, The Verve and Radiohead all in their prime in the 90s was exceptional stuff. In the last decade I have loved listening to the likes of Elbow, Travis, Franz Ferdinand and especially Coldplay. Not just releasing some great albums but also proving themselves to be out of this world when it comes to live performances. You can't look past the brilliance of talents such as solo artists like Brain Eno either. Mike Oldfield is another artist I've become very fond of recently as well.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #6: Aug 22, 2012 05:00:22 pm
      American here. I find myself, for alternative music, enjoying British bands far more. My favorite bands of the 80s are almost all British, including The Smiths, New Order, and Depeche Mode. 60s and 70s are almost all English for me too, with The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin.

I'm also a big hip-hop fan, and the US destroys the UK in that regard. Amy Winehouse is also one of my favorite voices of all time and her first two albums are always spinning on my iPod.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #7: Aug 22, 2012 05:19:02 pm
      There's not many decent bands that the yanks have produced, with the exception of the Motown greats of Chi-Lites, Stylistics, Drifters etc. But some of their solo artists are great. I'm a huge fan of the 50s and 60s doo wop music. I love the likes of Del Shannon, Bobby Vee, Neil Sedaka, Bobby Vinton, Helen Shapiro etc.

But in terms of bands playing instruments then the Brits are head and shoulders above. Not only have we produced the Mod bands, but also the best Ska bands with Madness and the Specials. The best "glam rock" band with Slade. The best band of the 90s in Oasis. Will give the American's some credit in they have produced possibly the greatest duo of all time in Don and Phil aka the Everly Brothers.

In terms of today's music, given that I can't really bare the majority of it, I'd say the yanks are probably producing bigger stars. Mainly because every British "star" now is solely down to X Factor. A manufactured nobody.

But in all honesty, music in terms of playing an instrument has been shocking for a number of years. There's still a couple of decent bands but now talent doesn't seem to matter as much as it did.

So really it comes down to your musical taste, given I love the Mod music then I'm going to say Britain has produced the better. But, if I was a big rap fan then I'd probably the say the Americans.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #8: Aug 22, 2012 06:20:46 pm
      There's not many decent bands that the yanks have produced
      The Beach Boys, Pearl Jam, CCR, Allman Brothers Band, Nirvana, The Byrds, Van Halen, Sonic Youth, Metallica, RHCP, The Ramones, Velvet Underground, The Doors, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Beastie Boys, Foo Fighters, The Grateful Dead, REM of course.

I don't really like half of those, but they're all pretty significant.

I like Oasis a lot, but I don't think they'd be considered the best of the 90s. That will probably go to Nirvana, even though I always thought Pearl Jam blew them out of the water musically and lyrically. The 90s are a very funny decade in that you have something completely new coming out every 15 months. So many different styles. It's a very under-appreciated decade in music.

But in all honesty, music in terms of playing an instrument has been shocking for a number of years. There's still a couple of decent bands but now talent doesn't seem to matter as much as it did.

I'd agree with you there. One thing that really bothers me about music today is how digital it all feels. Things are recorded on computers now, not on tube-driven consoles running tape. A lot of stuff lacks the warmth in the recordings that the vintage equipment used to give off. Ah well.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #9: Aug 22, 2012 06:37:27 pm
      There's not many decent bands that the yanks have produced, with the exception of the Motown greats of Chi-Lites, Stylistics, Drifters etc. But some of their solo artists are great. I'm a huge fan of the 50s and 60s doo wop music. I love the likes of Del Shannon, Bobby Vee, Neil Sedaka, Bobby Vinton, Helen Shapiro etc.

But in terms of bands playing instruments then the Brits are head and shoulders above. Not only have we produced the Mod bands, but also the best Ska bands with Madness and the Specials. The best "glam rock" band with Slade. The best band of the 90s in Oasis. Will give the American's some credit in they have produced possibly the greatest duo of all time in Don and Phil aka the Everly Brothers.

In terms of today's music, given that I can't really bare the majority of it, I'd say the yanks are probably producing bigger stars. Mainly because every British "star" now is solely down to X Factor. A manufactured nobody.

So really it comes down to your musical taste, given I love the Mod music then I'm going to say Britain has produced the better. But, if I was a big rap fan then I'd probably the say the Americans.

I'd say Oasis were the best of the 90s but I would say that! To have released Definitely Maybe and (What's The Story) Morning Glory back to back was unbelievable and the hype that surrounded them was justified. I mean they were just so refreshing. There's maybe too much joylessness in music and too much songwriting about politics, society, religion etc to the point that it just becomes shallow. A lot will say Radiohead, Nirvana etc. For me they never had the fun the Gallagher's and co had. But when Oasis came about in the mid 90s, the songs were all basically just about the rollercoaster of life which made for something different and totally escapist.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: Aug 22, 2012 07:05:39 pm
      America gave us Justin Beiber, Hannah Montanna, Rebecka Black etc.

Also then two daft cu*ts who wore their trouser back to front - kriss kross and Mc Hammer who wore trousers that made him look like he'd sh*t himself.

They lose by default ;D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #11: Aug 22, 2012 07:13:28 pm
      I'd say Oasis were the best of the 90s but I would say that! To have released Definitely Maybe and (What's The Story) Morning Glory back to back was unbelievable and the hype that surrounded them was justified. I mean they were just so refreshing. There's maybe too much joylessness in music and too much songwriting about politics, society, religion etc to the point that it just becomes shallow. A lot will say Radiohead, Nirvana etc. For me they never had the fun the Gallagher's and co had. But when Oasis came about in the mid 90s, the songs were all basically just about the rollercoaster of life which made for something different and totally escapist.

Playing devil's advocate here (because I do like Oasis, mind): Those first two albums do feature a lot of lifted material, melodies, riffs, etc, just re-appropriated.

Also then two daft cu*ts who wore their trouser back to front - kriss kross and Mc Hammer who wore trousers that made him look like he'd sh*t himself.

They lose by default ;D

HOW. DARE. YOU. ;D

EDIT: Justin Bieber is Canadian!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #12: Aug 22, 2012 08:38:07 pm
      Playing devil's advocate here (because I do like Oasis, mind): Those first two albums do feature a lot of lifted material, melodies, riffs, etc, just re-appropriated.

HOW. DARE. YOU. ;D

EDIT: Justin Bieber is Canadian!

I don't know if it's that much but in the words of Oscar Wilde

"Talent borrows, genius steals!"
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #13: Aug 22, 2012 10:40:51 pm
      I don't know if it's that much but in the words of Oscar Wilde

"Talent borrows, genius steals!"
      It is quite a bit actually. Pretty sure someone on YouTube has a whole bunch of videos with comparisons and what not. But no one really reinvents the wheel anymore.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #14: Aug 22, 2012 10:50:27 pm

Sssh let's not forget the shame of Five, Blue, 911, McFly, Busted and Robson and F***ing Jerome!!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #15: Aug 23, 2012 04:12:36 pm
      Sssh let's not forget the shame of Five, Blue, 911, McFly, Busted and Robson and F***ing Jerome!!

And every talentless c**t that's been on the X Factor.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #16: Aug 23, 2012 04:21:57 pm
      There's not many decent bands that the yanks have produced

WTF? I take it your tongue was firmly in your cheek there Billy?  ;D

But in terms of bands playing instruments then the Brits are head and shoulders above. Not only have we produced the Mod bands, but also the best Ska bands with Madness and the Specials. The best "glam rock" band with Slade. The best band of the 90s in Oasis.

Lovin it mate.

Best Ska (two tone  ;))  bands? Madness?  - Check out The Uptones or The Toasters mate... I reckon you'll get a sweet surprise.

Best Glam Rock band? Slade? - I'd reckon The New York Dolls or Iggy & The Stooges might have something to say about that.

The best band of the 90's? Quoasis? If they were the best that Britain could offer in the 90's it just goes to show you how sh*te our music was - thankfully, tho', they weren't. - the USA? - Nirvana; Pearl Jam; Screaming Trees; Foo Fighters... and on and on...

They (arguably) aren't as innovative but for sheer quality and quantity of, kick ass, bands playing every thing from Blues to Punk and everything in between the USA wins hands down. It's got nothing all to do with taste either.

« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2012 05:22:21 pm by bad boy bubby »
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #17: Aug 23, 2012 06:34:42 pm
      Couldn't agree less that Oasis was the best band of the 90s. I'd have Nirvana ahead of them easily, possibly Pearl Jam (of course this is all opinion). I don't even think Oasis is the best English band of the 90s. That goes to Radiohead for me.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18: Aug 24, 2012 12:08:00 am
      Best Ska (two tone  ;))  bands? Madness?  - Check out The Uptones or The Toasters mate... I reckon you'll get a sweet surprise.

And The Slackers!
      Anyway, Ska is a genre of Jamaican origin... Jamaican music kicks ass.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #19: Aug 24, 2012 08:10:41 am
      Anyway, Ska is a genre of Jamaican origin
      ;D
      Yeah but 'Two-Tone' was most definitely British first and that's where, I think, Billy got himself confused, bless.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #20: Aug 24, 2012 08:33:22 am
      Anyway, Ska is a genre of Jamaican origin... Jamaican music kicks ass

You're delving into murky waters if you're going to trace musical genres back to their absolute roots, it's hard to know where to stop as all music is an evolotion of what came before. Far easier to discuss where the genre was most prolific which in the case of Rock, Metal, Rap, RnB, Punk, Ska. Mod and many other genres, the US and UK have been the forerunners.

Not forgetting Brazil, of course  ;D

Sepultura - Ratamahatta
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #21: Aug 24, 2012 08:43:46 am
      this subject is too subjective to be solved, but...my point of view...

USA
      ~Elvis
      ~Jimmi Hendrix
      ~Jim Morrison (The Doors)

UK
      ~The Beatles
      ~Pink Floyd
      ~Led Zeppelin

In my opinion, the US contributed to revolutionary rock individuals and the UK gave us revolutionary bands. So I would have to say that they're equals in contribution....and they all bow down to Canada!!! The Guess Who, BTO, Rush, Neil Young, Kim Mitchell, Bryan Adams, April Wine, Trooper. List is long.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #22: Aug 24, 2012 08:56:01 am
      and they all bow down to Canada!!! The Guess Who, BTO, Rush, Neil Young, Kim Mitchell, Bryan Adams, April Wine, Trooper. List is long.

...Alexisonfire, Cancer Bats, fu**ed Up, Comeback Kid, Billy Talent...  8)

...Avril Lavigne  :P

Quick Reply