Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

UEFA Champions League 2012/2013

Read 80445 times
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,491 posts | 231 
      Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013
      Reply #1081: May 25, 2013 10:23:56 pm
      Slightly off topic but th BBC news reader on now looks like Jupp Heynicks  ;D
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1082: May 25, 2013 10:27:15 pm
      Wonder if we have the money or pulling power to attract any of those Dortmund players?

We don't have the money.

Pulling power?  Hmmm.  Let's see.  They just won the title in 2012.  They finished 2nd this year.  They made it to the CL final this year.  They've got one of the best young managers in the world.  They play in a stadium full of 80.000 supporters who are on their feet singing the entire 90 minutes. 

We finished 7th this year.  Couldn't even get into the Europa League.  We've got a manager who thinks we're outstanding even when we're sh*te and spends absurd amounts of the little money we have on his mediocre old pals from other clubs.  Our homes games sound like a library. 

Which would you choose?
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #1083: May 26, 2013 12:34:31 am
      We don't have the money.

Pulling power?  Hmmm.  Let's see.  They just won the title in 2012.  They finished 2nd this year.  They made it to the CL final this year.  They've got one of the best young managers in the world.  They play in a stadium full of 80.000 supporters who are on their feet singing the entire 90 minutes. 

We finished 7th this year.  Couldn't even get into the Europa League.  We've got a manager who thinks we're outstanding even when we're sh*te and spends absurd amounts of the little money we have on his mediocre old pals from other clubs.  Our homes games sound like a library. 

Which would you choose?
      So, that's a no?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1084: May 26, 2013 12:36:38 am
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1221 
      Reply #1085: May 26, 2013 01:28:37 am
      We don't have the money.

Which would you choose?

That's the spirit, mate! We're a bunch of no hopers compared to a club like Dortmund that hasn't won a fraction of the trophies we've won, that keeps selling its best players and looks likely to do the same again this year despite all its success. Why even bother even if we do have the money? We only managed to sign the likes of Alonso, Torres and Suarez ahead of a host of other top European clubs despite not apparently being able to offer them the best deal. Never mind, may as well settle for second best if it's Dortmund. You've got The Liverpool Way down to a T mate  :roll:
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #1086: May 26, 2013 02:07:18 am
      Cant disagree mate.

Good to see you back on here.

Cheers mate. Been busy with a lot of sh*t going on, but trying to get around here a bit more again. Still watching as much as ever.

We don't have the money.

Which would you choose?

HASHTAG YNWA THO.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1087: May 26, 2013 02:09:39 am
      That was brilliant. All German finals > All Spanish. I mean can you imagine if it had been Real-Barca? Just be a farce like every other. That one had a few dirty moments, but few and far between. Generally flowing footy, genuinely looking to score and nothing else. Some great defense in there, brilliant goalkeeping. Feel for Dortmund (and Wiedenfeller) as they played their nuts off, but Bayern just had that extra class. Robben finally taking a game on and making the impact he needs to.

Can't bloody wait until we're back in this in the next couple years. Comp just isn't the same without us.

In the final there was as much diving, elbowing, paddy throwing and rolling around on the floor as there usually is in the "El Classico". Still, thought it was a pretty decent game in the end though, defending was sloppy for Dortmund right at the end though and it cost them the goal. Ribery doesn't half F***ing wind me up!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1088: May 26, 2013 12:05:13 pm
      We don't have the money.

Which would you choose?

For somebody who claims to be a supporter you have a very low opinion of the Club, the Manager, the players and the support. 

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #1089: May 26, 2013 01:38:15 pm
      I have to say although the match was good, I am sick of rich teams buying players off their poorer rivals to secure their own success. I think Goetze and lewandovski joining bayern prior to a Cl final involving both teams is unethical to say the least. I know lewandovski hasn't signed yet but it appears that was Bayerns intention and he in effect was going as surely as Goetze is
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,208 posts | 8566 
      Reply #1090: May 26, 2013 01:56:17 pm
      Then you should have said "Better atmospheres at home games" then.

To be fair Dortmund's fans were very impressive last night, put us in the shade massively with the way they supported their club. Best support of any team seen at Wembley imo.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1091: May 26, 2013 01:59:42 pm
      We don't have the money.

Which would you choose?

Hard to disagree.

Dortmund, I hope for their sake, can keep everything together. They will be a massive force in Europe if they keep producing the players they do. And they are fantastic to watch.

Klopp is so entertaining.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1092: May 26, 2013 06:38:47 pm
      That was a really really enjoyable final last night. It was great to watch a final and not be rooting for or against one of the teams. IMO easily the most entertaining one since 2005. Both Bayern and Dortmund really wanted to win and actually attacked, instead of the game being a bit cagey as a lot finals tend to be. The goalkeeping from both sides was simply outstanding, and that goal line save from Subotic was amazing!

I think the only sour point is that it was Robben who scored the winner. But credit to Bayern on joining us on No. 5. They've been the best team in the world all season bar none.

The thing about that game too is it was such a great contest, that whoever the loser was just didn't deserve that pain. Gutted for Dortmund in that regard.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #1093: May 26, 2013 11:42:12 pm
      In the final there was as much diving, elbowing, paddy throwing and rolling around on the floor as there usually is in the "El Classico". Still, thought it was a pretty decent game in the end though, defending was sloppy for Dortmund right at the end though and it cost them the goal. Ribery doesn't half f**king wind me up!

There was no where near as much of the bullshit that happens in the El Classico. I didn't say there was nothing, but that was night and day with some of the farcical scenes I've seen in the Real-Barca games of recent years. You must have been watching a different game, or haven't watched El Cardico enough.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1094: May 27, 2013 04:57:06 pm
      I have to say although the match was good, I am sick of rich teams buying players off their poorer rivals to secure their own success. I think Goetze and lewandovski joining bayern prior to a Cl final involving both teams is unethical to say the least. I know lewandovski hasn't signed yet but it appears that was Bayerns intention and he in effect was going as surely as Goetze is

In Goetze's case there wasn't much choice I think, since Bayern was the only club to meet his release clause and the player wanted to leave, but in other cases I don't know why clubs like Dortmund, Schalke, and so on sell their best players to Bayern. I mean, sometimes it could be better to sell them, even if only for a fraction of the price, to some club abroad, instead of strengthening a direct rival for the Bundesliga title. I guess a part of it is in the players' mentality and their willingness to stay in Germany, but it must be really frustrating for the fans of the other clubs to see their players repeatedly leave to strengthen Bayern. One of the reasons they're so dominant over there.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1095: May 27, 2013 04:59:57 pm
      As for the UCL final, it was a cracking game. I'm happy for players like Schweinsteiger and Lahm, whom I really like and admire, but I felt sorry for Dortmund and the legend that is Klopp.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1096: May 27, 2013 11:36:27 pm
      Reus is some player id give my left nut to see him in red.

Read a stat prior to the final that  he was the hardest working player in the CL (covered the most km's) something like 13.2km/game.

That is astonishing. Same report showed Dortmund as hardest working club as the top 5 players were from Dortmund.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1097: May 27, 2013 11:40:33 pm
      What was it, their 1st win in 4 finals? Lost to United, Inter Milan and Chelsea up to this one! Robben finally didn't bottle the big game! Would have liked to see Dortmund win it seeing as Bayern are in with a very strong chance next season too!
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #1098: May 28, 2013 01:02:34 am
      As for the UCL final, it was a cracking game. I'm happy for players like Schweinsteiger and Lahm, whom I really like and admire, but I felt sorry for Dortmund and the legend that is Klopp.
      He ias a legend. I hope Dortmund don't get gutted by the richer clubs.They must keep hold of Reus, reminds me a bit of Littbarski, in that when runs with the ball you feel something is going to happen.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #1099: May 28, 2013 10:31:52 pm
      What was it, their 1st win in 4 finals? Lost to United, Inter Milan and Chelsea up to this one! Robben finally didn't bottle the big game! Would have liked to see Dortmund win it seeing as Bayern are in with a very strong chance next season too!

They won it in 2001 over Valencia.

Agree on the Reus loving. Cracking player. The players coming through the ranks in Germany right now are just amazing.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1100: May 28, 2013 10:44:39 pm
      Was gutted to find out he'd signed for Dortmund, really wanted us to sign him (Reus), fantastic player and if Dortmund can keep hold of most of their core they have a good chance of pushing close again next year.

Really like Klopp too, the whole team came out of this with great credit and will most certainly be my German team to follow for a while, never been a fan of Bayern.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1101: May 28, 2013 11:34:39 pm
      Was gutted to find out he'd signed for Dortmund, really wanted us to sign him (Reus), fantastic player and if Dortmund can keep hold of most of their core they have a good chance of pushing close again next year.

Really like Klopp too, the whole team came out of this with great credit and will most certainly be my German team to follow for a while, never been a fan of Bayern.

Was gutted too Luke amazing when you think Joe Allen and Reus went for the same fee.

Sure Dortmund had the pull of being current German champions and CL football, but some of the wage we had smoking Joe on could have went toward twisting Marco's arm in offering him a nice pay packet.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,208 posts | 8566 
      Reply #1102: May 29, 2013 04:00:37 am
      Sure Dortmund had the pull of being current German champions and CL football, but some of the wage we had smoking Joe on could have went toward twisting Marco's arm in offering him a nice pay packet.

Don't think we stood a chance in signing him, part of the reason he went to Dortmund is that it's his hometown club.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,329 posts | 6383 
      Reply #1103: May 29, 2013 04:19:17 am

Is that why Lewandoski is going to Bayern?

Quick Reply