Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your outstanding player from the game?

Joe Allen
      84 (75%)
      Steven Gerrard
      2 (1.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      2 (1.8%)
      Raheem Sterling
      19 (17%)
      Fabio Borini
      0 (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      3 (2.7%)
      Luis Suarez
      2 (1.8%)
      Someone else?
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Liverpool 2:2 Manchester City: In game and post match analysis.

Read 40405 times
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Re: Liverpool vs Manchester City: Live thread
      Reply #506: Aug 26, 2012 05:58:01 pm
      I said I'd take a draw, I'm not F***ing happy with it though. Why didn't Skrtel look up ffs, you learn that as a kid! F***ing gutted.

Great performance for 92 minutes of the 94. Great team selection from Rodgers, big well done to him had us playing great stuff. Coates and Sterling gave performances that easily justified their selction in the team.

Can't believe we don't have three points on the board right now.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #507: Aug 26, 2012 05:58:21 pm
      we deserved better but 1 point against a title winning team isnt bad. we should have won against baggies but its done and dusted.

Cant really blame skrtel, we want to play tiki-taka and this is one of the negative side of that style. In tiki-taka keeper is one of the players on the field, who you pass to find new openings or switch sides. Mistakes like these are bound to happen no matter how good you get at it.

Barca defence & keeper mistakes like these time to time, so its one of the drawbacks. Skrtel played his heart out and scored a brilliant goal & kudos to him.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,491 posts | 232 
      Reply #508: Aug 26, 2012 05:58:22 pm
      Really gutted. I did say Tevez was the danger man and he got a goal and assist. But apart from that, great performance from everyone. They really could not have done any better, had some unfortunate decisions with penalties not going our way.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #509: Aug 26, 2012 05:58:49 pm
      We pass back to the goalie too much for me.
      As opposed to the hoofing we've done for the past 15 to 20 years? In my estimation we've not been passing it around the back enough
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,491 posts | 232 
      Reply #510: Aug 26, 2012 05:58:53 pm
      we deserved better but 1 point against a title winning team isnt bad. we should have won against baggies but its done and dusted.

Cant really blame skrtel, we want to play tiki-taka and this is one of the negative side of that style. In tiki-taka keeper is one of the players on the field, who you pass to find new openings or switch sides. Mistakes like these are bound to happen no matter how good you get at it.

Barca defence & keeper mistakes like these time to time, so its one of the drawbacks. Skrtel played his heart out and scored a brilliant goal & kudos to him.

I agree, didnt Barca do that last year against Madrid, and Madrid scored within 30 seconds?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #511: Aug 26, 2012 05:59:05 pm
      Devastated with the result and or Skrtel as he was excellent all game.

Many positives to take from that though, in particular how we looked in control for vast parts of the game against last year's champions.

If we play like that all season we will do very well indeed.

Agree with Niall Quinn on MOTM as Joe Allen was excellent. Looks like we have another great midfielder on our hands.
      viniciusgama1
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 11 
      Reply #512: Aug 26, 2012 05:59:10 pm
      Can't blame Kelly. I felt like he was expecting Reina to actually hit the ball.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #513: Aug 26, 2012 05:59:46 pm
      Kelly did well and was unlucky with the goal.No man in red needs to feel anythign but pride today

Borini's got good movement but needs to convert more for me, especially if hes going to be out of the action for so long and pop up unexpected in some key areas.
      ozziboi7
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #514: Aug 26, 2012 06:00:22 pm
      The most upbeat I've ever felt after dominating a game and not winning! So many positives to take from the game! As long as we learn from our mistakes (Skrtel!) then we'll be making Anfield a fortress again!
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #515: Aug 26, 2012 06:00:49 pm
      I agree, didnt Barca do that last year against Madrid, and Madrid scored within 30 seconds?

barca do it couple of time every season, they messed up against real couple of days ago.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #516: Aug 26, 2012 06:00:49 pm
      We were far the better side the energy and work  rate was superb some great performances in there ,cut out the silly mistakes lots to look forward to this season, overall performance from the side was very impressive.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #517: Aug 26, 2012 06:00:58 pm
      As opposed to the hoofing we've done for the past 15 to 20 years? In my estimation we've not been passing it around the back enough

Players just need to learn that if they are going to do it put some juice on the ball, lazy passing does not work with this system.
      Tadders

• 6,787 posts | 573 
      Reply #518: Aug 26, 2012 06:01:42 pm
      yeah positives, we act like we havent spent 150m quid in the last 18 months, why couldnt we play like this last week, 4 points would have been a great start as it is it sh*te.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #519: Aug 26, 2012 06:03:04 pm
      To be honest I would have taken a draw before the game after last week
       But gutted now after that performance, we dominated city and gave them 2 goals on a silver plate
      But i think  there is more to come with performances like that
        The little raheem has sealed his place in the line up now IMO

All in all very positive
       YNWA
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #520: Aug 26, 2012 06:03:12 pm
      Plenty of positives. Including our manager.

Can't help but be gutted though.
      redcod81
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      Reply #521: Aug 26, 2012 06:03:17 pm
      I'm not gutted at all ,we more than matched the champions and Rodgers style of play is really starting to click . A individual mistake cost us 3 points but if we play like that against most of the league we will win everytime . All the players did well but Joe Allen is total class on the ball and got back many times to nick the ball .As ever though the challenge is to play like that against lesser teams .
      Bier
      Reply #522: Aug 26, 2012 06:03:25 pm
      We've kind of done this for the last few seasons haven't we. The team really gives their all and puts on a good performance against good sides. Why can't we do that against the others too.

Raheem is really going to be quite something for us. This will be his break through season. Allen also, he's going to really give us alot of enjoyment.

American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #523: Aug 26, 2012 06:05:19 pm
      Very good performance. Two stupid mistakes from two of our senior (and core) players to give City an undeserved point, but too many positives to take away from it to dwell on those mistakes.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #524: Aug 26, 2012 06:05:44 pm
      2-2 against the 'champs' and we literally gave them two goals.

One thing, don't agree with people saying Kelly was good, I thought he laboured a little and think he'll struggle with the type of game the Gaffer wants us to play.

Forget the result. Gutted? Of course, but I saw enough in that game to know we are going in the right direction.

Step by step.

I agree about Kelly, except I think he'd suit CB in Rodgers team perfectly.

Would have taken a point before kick off but that was disappointing to throw it away like that. I posted here at half time saying we'd done well but needed to stop those errors at the back or they'd score. Didn't think we'd do it twice...

Still, many many positives. Allen was good, Gerrard looked better, Sterling was impressive and seems to be definitely ready for the first team and Suarez's free kick was exceptional. Skrtel was, as is his entire LFC career, a mix of superb and abysmal. To play that pass blind when you've got a runner like Tevez up front is damn stupid. Other than that he was excellent at the back and seemed to give Coates confidence. Also, beast of a header for the goal, fantastic. Coates himself was a little shaky at times, still dives in too easily but he can only improve on that. Came through pretty much unscathed which is a positive against the players City put out.

As for the keeper mistakes in the tika taka style, it happens. Barca often give away silly goals. Valdes let di Maria rob him and score in the Super Cup game a few days ago.

The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #525: Aug 26, 2012 06:05:53 pm
      2 mistakes today. Other than that we were epic.

I'm gonna let the dust settle before I throw my two cents in, very proud all the same.
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #526: Aug 26, 2012 06:06:26 pm
      Great effort by all the lads! Gerrard had a solid game. Suarez was not as incisive as we have known him to be. Very impressed with Allen! I feel sorry for Skrtle because he had a solid game. But those kind of errors happen to the best... Good effort on the whole.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #527: Aug 26, 2012 06:07:23 pm
      Very good performance. Two stupid mistakes from two of our senior (and core) players to give City an undeserved point, but too many positives to take away from it to dwell on those mistakes.

good post and i agree. spuds, arsenal and barcodes all have lost points. . we can build from here, and could do well.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #528: Aug 26, 2012 06:08:30 pm
      Joe Allen completed 43/46 passes.

Quick Reply