Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your outstanding player from the game?

Joe Allen
      84 (75%)
      Steven Gerrard
      2 (1.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      2 (1.8%)
      Raheem Sterling
      19 (17%)
      Fabio Borini
      0 (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      3 (2.7%)
      Luis Suarez
      2 (1.8%)
      Someone else?
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Liverpool 2:2 Manchester City: In game and post match analysis.

Read 40111 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Liverpool 2:2 Manchester City: In game and post match analysis.
      Reply #690: Aug 27, 2012 08:00:39 pm
      I voted for young Sterling as my MOM, for a young kid to make his full home debut and against the champions and turn in a performance like that was unbelievable.

Thought Allen was immense too but Sterling edged it for me as Allen knows Rodgers and how his tactics work so fitted in seamlessley, so young Sterling clinched it for me.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #691: Aug 27, 2012 08:04:40 pm
      I voted for young Sterling as my MOM, for a young kid to make his full home debut and against the champions and turn in a performance like that was unbelievable.

Thought Allen was immense too but Sterling edged it for me as Allen knows Rodgers and how his tactics work so fitted in seamlessley, so young Sterling clinched it for me.

Raheem has forced his way into the starting XI and after doing so looks intent on forcing the manager to keep him there.

Speed that has been lacking forever has now arrived and it does truly seem to be a game changer.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #692: Aug 27, 2012 08:06:12 pm
      I think it is very important to emphasis a point I made in an earlier post. Joe Allen, for me, was world class. He may not be a big name of the likes of Xavi, Iniesta etc, but I honestly believe he did as good a job as someone on that level. I said it before and I'll say it again: if we get 11 players playing with the same heart and desire, as well as confidence in their own ability and tactical knowledge, we will have a very exciting season. I mentioned before what Yaya Toure said after the game about it being the most difficult game he has played in England. That was music to my ears and largely down to the hard work by Allen in the centre of midfield. His ability to get out of tight situations and retain the ball was world class. You may think I am going over the top but I genuinely think the lad could work out to be a bargain. I remember being linked with him a few months back and saying to myself, 'who the f**k is he?'...how wrong was I.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #693: Aug 27, 2012 08:12:16 pm

Raheem has forced his way into the starting XI and after doing so looks intent on forcing the manager to keep him there.

Speed that has been lacking forever has now arrived and it does truly seem to be a game changer.

Let's be careful with Sterling - he still has a long way to go yet and he must be protected - he won't be and shouldn't be starting every week to ensure we don't burn him out early. He is going to make mistakes and going to struggle at times - hopefully we will guide him through it
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #694: Aug 27, 2012 08:42:55 pm
      I think it is very important to emphasis a point I made in an earlier post. Joe Allen, for me, was world class. He may not be a big name of the likes of Xavi, Iniesta etc, but I honestly believe he did as good a job as someone on that level. I said it before and I'll say it again: if we get 11 players playing with the same heart and desire, as well as confidence in their own ability and tactical knowledge, we will have a very exciting season. I mentioned before what Yaya Toure said after the game about it being the most difficult game he has played in England. That was music to my ears and largely down to the hard work by Allen in the centre of midfield. His ability to get out of tight situations and retain the ball was world class. You may think I am going over the top but I genuinely think the lad could work out to be a bargain. I remember being linked with him a few months back and saying to myself, 'who the f**k is he?'...how wrong was I.

Ditto.

I can't praise Joe Allen enough after yesterday's performance. I had only seen him play against us last season before he signed, so I knew next to nothing about him. He's young, he's talented and he has a very bright future ahead of him.

And he's ours.  ;D
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #695: Aug 27, 2012 08:43:38 pm
      Let's be careful with Sterling - he still has a long way to go yet and he must be protected - he won't be and shouldn't be starting every week to ensure we don't burn him out early. He is going to make mistakes and going to struggle at times - hopefully we will guide him through it

I trust the gaffer with Sterling's progress.  ;)
      PG LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      • JFT96
      Reply #696: Aug 27, 2012 09:13:58 pm
      I trust the gaffer with Sterling's progress.  ;)
      Ditto, I don't remember people being worried when Fowler and Owen debuted at such a young age.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #697: Aug 27, 2012 09:15:54 pm
      Ditto, I don't remember people being worried when Fowler and Owen debuted at such a young age.

Can you remind us what happened to both players when they hit mid to late 20's ?

For the perfect way to develop Sterling then we need to copy the Scums development of Giggs
      PG LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      • JFT96
      Reply #698: Aug 27, 2012 09:23:13 pm
      Can you remind us what happened to both players when they hit mid to late 20's ?

For the perfect way to develop Sterling then we need to copy the Scums development of Giggs

True but I think all training and medical methods have moved on a bit...but yes point taken, you have to admire his enthusiasm though, needs bottling.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #699: Aug 27, 2012 09:36:32 pm

As in what way George?
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #700: Aug 27, 2012 09:47:40 pm

Both physically ruined. Where as you have Giggs still going strong at nearly 40
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #701: Aug 27, 2012 10:24:59 pm

Agreed. Sterling grew another 2 feet in stature yesterday. I remember another winger who was from Jamaica that played for us, what was his name now?, i can't remember.  >:D

Oh yeah, here he is (prepare to drool over pure genius)

John Barnes

I see Digger in Raheem, he's got that aura about him. Got really high hopes for this boy, he's going to be class.

PG LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      • JFT96
      Reply #702: Aug 27, 2012 10:50:43 pm
      Agreed. Sterling grew another 2 feet in stature yesterday. I remember another winger who was from Jamaica that played for us, what was his name now?, i can't remember.  >:D

Oh yeah, here he is (prepare to drool over pure genius)

John Barnes

I see Digger in Raheem, he's got that aura about him. Got really high hopes for this boy, he's going to be class.

Ab-so-lute-ly Brilliant thanks :)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #703: Aug 28, 2012 08:31:32 am

[

Come on hardcore Peter Thompson didn't come from Jamaica,he was born in Carlisle and we bought him from Preston Both Ends.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #704: Aug 28, 2012 08:45:41 am
      Come on hardcore Peter Thompson didn't come from Jamaica,he was born in Carlisle and we bought him from Preston Both Ends.
      What coud he do for us now Billy? The thought of a winger in the mould of Peter Thompson makes your mouth water. Him and Steve Highway were unstoppable.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #705: Aug 28, 2012 08:56:59 am
      What coud he do for us now Billy? The thought of a winger in the moud of Peter Thompson makes your mouth water. Him and Steve Highway were unstoppable.
      Its off topic stuey so I hope the staff take it in the meaning it is intended,I still recall Peters first game for us and befor the kickoff he was kicking the ball up to chest level without the ball touching the ground.Some smart arse on the KOP said I hope he can do that when we kick off.As you know he could, so back on topic if young Raheem turns out to give the same service and football as Peter Thompson did for us then we have got exciting times ahead.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #706: Aug 28, 2012 01:36:46 pm
      If it wasnt for the back-pass, then i believe Skrtel would've been a MOTM...however defenders are measured on defending so he failed unfortunately but still gets my vote for overall organisation and commitment.
      The team played very well, but i am still concerned about our poor finishing... that was 3 points for the taking.
      Man City didnt press the ball as much as West Brom did last week, which helped us to manage the tempo better, however this should be something we take care of when playing against the rest of the league outside of top6.

Very encouraging performance, so i hope we build on it going forward. I still believe that if we get a consistent goal scorer, we will have a great season... this team is very capable of competing against the best if we take our chances.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #707: Aug 28, 2012 04:30:25 pm
                      ^                       ^
      Good comment mate.
      There is also some comfort to be gained comparing the performance with our dour home dispays last season in particular. If we had played at Anfield like that last season how much further would we have been in the league?   
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #708: Aug 28, 2012 05:45:55 pm
      Was a really good performance, struggled to keep the ball at first but we really grew into the game and deserved to be walking away with 3 points but thanks to Skrtel we only came away with 1!

Well impressed with Allen, heard he had 100% pass rate in the first half, brilliant that!!
      waz112003
      • Banned

• 70 posts |
      Reply #709: Aug 28, 2012 07:13:15 pm
      We got to look at the positive that we challenge the champions bit of luck we could have won the game we were the better side but must improve the mistake so it's early days...
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #710: Aug 28, 2012 08:57:42 pm
      I see Digger in Raheem, he's got that aura about him

High praise indeed, if he turns out to be half the player we'll save 25m in the transfer market.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #711: Aug 28, 2012 09:36:35 pm
      Going by what i've seen of Sterling so far , he's rising to the occasion .His pace and technical ability are mouthwatering , city's defence was stretched with him . lets hope he can deal with the bigtime and won't get carried away too much.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #712: Aug 28, 2012 10:11:04 pm
      Stirling is doing o.k. but give the lad a break, to compare him to Digger is a bit much. Don't think there's a player lived to compare with Digger.  Some great one's yes, but nothing  like Barnsey, and Stirling is nothing like him at the mo, although looks like he could develop into something very special.

Quick Reply