Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Paralympics 2012

Read 18630 times
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Re: Paralympics 2012
      Reply #23: Sep 01, 2012 11:28:28 am
      Oh YES!!!!!  GOLD and a new world record for Richard Whitehead in the men's 200m.  What a final 100m, he stormed through.

Well in Richard! Paralympic Champion!  :clap:
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #24: Sep 01, 2012 12:54:17 pm
      GOLD!!  Natasha Baker in the individual dressage!  :clap:

Well in Natasha!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #25: Sep 01, 2012 03:08:15 pm
      Some bronze medals won for GB in the field events today,  Gemma Prescott in the women's club throw, Rob Womack in the shot putt and Claire Williams in the discus.

Well done to all of them!  :clap:

whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #26: Sep 01, 2012 03:16:13 pm
      GOLD!!!  Sarah Storey takes her second gold of the games in the women's 500m TT!  Two golds for the Storey household today then!

Well in Sarah!  :clap:
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #27: Sep 01, 2012 03:31:26 pm
      Bronze for Jody Cundy as he catches his man in the 4k pursuit after only 1375m!

Some consolation for him hopefully.  Well in Jody! :clap:
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #28: Sep 01, 2012 04:07:38 pm
      Silver for Jon-Allan Butterworth in the men's 4k pursuit!  Australia's Michael Gallagher took the gold with a dominant performance in the final kilo.

Well in Jon! :clap:

whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #29: Sep 01, 2012 05:22:29 pm
      Silver for Lee Pearson in the individual dressage!  Well in Lee!

C4 have just shown him on the medal podium, the poor fella's legs are so crooked, how does he manage to stay on a horse never mind ride to that standard.  Amazing!

Well in Lee!  :clap:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #30: Sep 01, 2012 05:32:15 pm
      2nd in the medals table at the moment! This is a good start!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #31: Sep 01, 2012 06:10:21 pm
      GOLD!!!!  Ellie Simmonds wins the womens 400m freestyle!  Brilliant!  :clap:

New WR as well!  Well in Ellie!  Aw, bless her, crying her eyes out during her interview.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #32: Sep 01, 2012 06:29:22 pm
      Wow!

Medals and records galore today. Well done to all our medallists.  :clap:
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Started Topic

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #33: Sep 01, 2012 06:29:57 pm
      2nd in the medals table at the moment! This is a good start!

I reckon we'll finish third again behind China and the US.  ;)
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #34: Sep 01, 2012 06:40:48 pm
      Silver!!!  Claire Cashmore comes second in the women's 100m breaststroke!  Well in Claire!  :clap:
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Started Topic

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #35: Sep 01, 2012 06:59:28 pm
      Silver!!!  Claire Cashmore comes second in the women's 100m breaststroke!  Well in Claire!  :clap:

Well done Claire.  :gt-happyup:

Medals galore.  ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #36: Sep 01, 2012 07:19:23 pm
      Wow. That was awesome by Jason Smyth in the 100m final!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #37: Sep 01, 2012 07:32:57 pm
      Ellie Simmonds was amazing, what a performance from her!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #38: Sep 01, 2012 08:09:43 pm
      Wow. That was awesome by Jason Smyth in the 100m final!

Just seen the replay, bloody hell, he was miles ahead.  WR of 10.46 seconds as well!  Well in Ireland's Jason Smyth!  :clap:
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #39: Sep 01, 2012 08:40:35 pm
      New WR for Oscar Pistorius in his heat of the men's 200m!  Won that by miles!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #40: Sep 01, 2012 09:04:05 pm
      Fantastic run by ireland's Michael McKillop in the men's 800m with a new WR!  Another GOLD for Ireland!!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #41: Sep 01, 2012 09:47:19 pm
      Silver for Sam Ingram in the men's 90kg judo, slightly unlucky not to get the gold, but well in Sam! :clap:
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Started Topic

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #42: Sep 01, 2012 10:48:44 pm
      Paralympics 2012: Esther Vergeer makes it 466 tennis wins on the trot

The Dutch wheelchair tennis star Esther Vergeer has not lost for more than nine years but says a defeat would help the sport

Amelia Gentleman at Eton Manor
      guardian.co.uk, Saturday 1 September 2012 22.23 BST

After swiftly defeating her opponent in the first match of the women's wheelchair tennis singles tournament, Esther Vergeer said wistfully: "I'm hoping that someday, somebody will beat me."

Most sports stars do not hope for defeat but for Vergeer it would make an interesting change. It has been nine and a half years and 466 matches since she last lost.

The Dutch player has enjoyed one of the longest winning streaks in world sport and was last defeated in a singles match in January 2003. Since then, out of 23 grand slam wheelchair tennis singles competitions, Vergeer, 31, has missed two and won 21. In six of the last eight finals she did not lose a game. A five-times Paralympic gold medallist, she has been ranked world No1 in women's single wheelchair tennis since April 1999.

In the opening game she performed predictably well, defeating Japan's Kanako Domori without dropping a game in 45 minutes. In her after-match interview, she claimed to have felt nervous at the start of the game but any nerves were not visible to spectators. The game began at 3.41pm; five minutes later Vergeer had effortlessly won the first two games.

She says the pressure not to slip up weighs heavily because expectations from others are always so high. "It puts pressure on me that everyone expects me to win and pick up the gold here like it's a no-brainer – when it's not. I work hard for it," she said. "I'm convinced that I can win that gold medal but it's not a sure thing."

She attributes the secret of her enduring success to determination, passion, hard work and fun. "I have a good team around me. It's about nutrition. It's about the way you train. Above all, I love the game," she said.

There was joyous enthusiasm from the audience at the Centre Court at the wheelchair tennis complex at Eton Manor that opened on Saturday for the first day of the competition.

The stands were dotted with supporters from the Netherlands wearing head to toe orange clothes, orange wigs, and orange sequinned hats, and there was a roar of support for the Dutch player when she arrived on court. There were some sympathetic cheers for Domori, who cannot have felt optimistic about her chances.

Before the game began, a compere gave the audience a quick lesson in the rules of wheelchair tennis, which she explained succinctly were exactly the same as those of traditional tennis, except that the ball is allowed to bounce twice.

Aside from her intimidating record, Vergeer must look a threatening opponent from across the court. She circles aggressively as she waits to receive a service. She moves constantly, silently circling and swivelling her chair backwards to get the best angle as she tries to return the shot.

She has recently changed the design of her wheelchair to incorporate a device she describes as a bucket to hold her legs firm. "I've been developing it for the past year and a half. I'm convinced that if you lock your legs in one of those buckets you lose less energy," she said.

Vergeer lost the use of her legs when she was eight when she underwent a surgical procedure on her spine. It saved her life but she was left paralysed. She took up tennis when she was 10.

There was little suspense among the spectators. Watching Vergeer does not make heart-pounding viewing because she is so much better than her opponents. Coaches have paid tribute to her "unbelievable determination" but as she calmly hit aces at 122 kilometres an hour, she did not look like she had to pour too much of that determination into the game.

Vergeer's presence at the tournament has introduced an unusual note of defeatism among other competitors. The US coach, Dan James, said before the tournament: "With the girls, when you have someone like Esther Vergeer, I don't believe there is a [realistic chance]. But there are three medal spots and you never know."

Competitors and coaches paid tribute to the thoughtfully designed Eton Manor centre. James said: "It's obvious that we are looking at a venue that is made for us. It's the things people don't think about that often matter most. For a start, it's flat through the whole venue and all the doorways are wide enough. It's the small things that can make a venue possible or not."

Vergeer is aware of the name of Jahangir Khan, the Pakistan squash player, who played 555 consecutive matches without being beaten in the early 1980s – the only sportsman known to have a more enduring winning streak than her.

"I know about him, I hear his name, and I know that he won 555 games but my goal is not to beat that record. I'm not planning to go to my 500th win, or 550, or 1,000th," she said.

At some point she would like to be beaten, she insisted. "That would be good for the development of the sport."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/sep/01/esther-vergeer-wheelchair-tennis-paralympics?CMP=twt_gu

That's an impressive record. I never knew about this woman.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #43: Sep 02, 2012 12:17:10 pm
      Sunday morning medals for GB:

GOLD!!  Mixed's coxed four boat take a rowing gold!

Silver!!  Stef Reid in the women's long jump!

Silver!!  Sophie Wells in dressage!

Well in to all of them!  :clap:

Edit:  HTH, that is an amazing story.  Talk about total dominance!  Wow!
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #44: Sep 02, 2012 12:26:53 pm
      Ellie Simmonds' gold winning race gives me goosebumps every time i watch the reply. It was amazing the way she came back not just to win but get the record too.

Her post-race interview makes me cry too!

Such an inspiration. Amazing woman.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #45: Sep 02, 2012 01:04:38 pm
      Oh, and we've just won overtaken the number of gold medals we won in Beijing thanks to Aled Davies winning the discus final.  :clap:

Quick Reply