Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Tactics geeks of the world unite...

Read 152487 times
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,029 posts | 529 
      Re: Tactics geeks of the world unite...
      Reply #391: Jan 01, 2015 10:30:14 pm
      For me, the fundamental problem we need to sort out is our inability to defend. And to do it an a way that doesn't just reduce to our midfield dropping back on top of our defence and us playing the turgid, negative stuff that we tried a few weeks ago.

All the evidence is that Brendan's coaching team don't know how to organise a defence, and he's ruled out bringing in a defensive coach.
      So what can he do?

I've been pondering this for a bit, and the only thing that I can come up with is ... a sweeper system.
      Its not my personal ideal system, but it might be the best chance Brendan has of getting a functioning defence, plus a pressing midfield.

The key to it is just that its the easiest defensive system to organise. You give each CB a specific man marking job, meaning that they basically have minimal decisions to make, and don't need to think much about about what each other are doing, they just mark their man, and then you have the sweeper ( Stevie being the obvious candidate) who sits behind them making the decisions.
      The full backs can push up into midfield, giving you numbers in there to press the ball.

Its a system that has its weaknesses. Principally that the CBs can get pulled all over the pitch by the guys they are marking. And in todays game, where teams often only have 1 striker, in can be hard to say who the 2nd CB should be marking.
      ( Bearing these 2 points in mind playing eg Can as the 2nd CB might make sense, as he can obviously wander into midfield quite happily).
      Like I say, it wouldn't be my ideal choice of system, its kind of crude tactically, but I think Brendan might end up needing something along those lines at the back.
      A decent version of it, with the players we currently have available, would be -

Sterling
                                    Coutinho

Lallana
                       Lucas         Hendo

Moreno  Sakho  Can   Manquillo

Gerrard

Mignolet

(Alternatively play a different CB for Can, and put the latter in midfield instead of Lucas, for a bit more pace in there.)

harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #392: Jan 06, 2015 12:53:42 am
      Seeing as Gerrard is the only player we have who can consistently put the ball in the net, why not play him as our #9? In the 3-4-2-1 system he should get plenty of chances as the likes of Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana, and Markovic should be able to create good openings. All Stevie would have to do is be clever in his movement, find a bit of space around the area, and finish off the chances which we all know he can do. Worth a shot?
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #393: Jan 06, 2015 07:38:47 pm
      Seeing as Gerrard is the only player we have who can consistently put the ball in the net, why not play him as our #9? In the 3-4-2-1 system he should get plenty of chances as the likes of Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana, and Markovic should be able to create good openings. All Stevie would have to do is be clever in his movement, find a bit of space around the area, and finish off the chances which we all know he can do. Worth a shot?

It would certainly be preferable to playing either of Balotelli or Lambert up there as a lone forward that's for sure mate. Although for me I think it is crucial that we have a player up top who scares defenders with pace, lengthens the pitch and gives our midfield players more room to work in. I don't think Stevie would give us that, I suspect he would get bored and come looking for the ball. In the absence of Lallana (which is a big miss given we have a semi-final coming up) I would be inclined to keep Raheem up top, play Stevie in the whole with Coutinho and Markovic either side (in a 4-3-3) or Gerrard on the right and Coutinho on the left (in a 3-4-3) with Hendo/Lucas sitting.

Just don't play Lambert or Balo as a lone striker. It guarantees one thing. Very few chances, little movement, stagnant football and allows teams to press up and force mistakes (like the wobbles last night when they figured it out)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #394: Jan 26, 2015 05:02:20 pm
      Now we're seeing some better performances and results with the 343 system, what happens when Danny's back?

Obviously we need him playing but who's dropped and do we keep the same 343 or try 433?

Personally I think we need to stick with what's working, put Danny up front and drop Raheem back but that means no starting place for Stevie.  Is that an issue still now he's said he's leaving or is it the right way to go, knowing that he is?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #395: Jan 26, 2015 05:08:07 pm
      Now we're seeing some better performances and results with the 343 system, what happens when Danny's back?

Obviously we need him playing but who's dropped and do we keep the same 343 or try 433?

Personally I think we need to stick with what's working, put Danny up front and drop Raheem back but that means no starting place for Stevie.  Is that an issue still now he's said he's leaving or is it the right way to go, knowing that he is?

Mignolet

Can          Skrtel          Sakho

Markovic     Hendo     Lucas        Moreno

Sterling              Coutinho
                           Sturridge

Ooof.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #396: Jan 26, 2015 05:17:08 pm
                            Mignolet

Sturridge

Ooof.

That's how I see it too mate.  It's a bit tasty, I just hope it works as good as it should do.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #397: Jan 26, 2015 05:18:12 pm

I would think Debs it would be exactly how you said, Sturridge up top Raheem dropped back and Stevie either benched or used as part of the front 3/4,
      I think as time goes by we Gerrard lovers will become accustomed to not seeing him leading out the team, but for the good of the team I think it's the best thing to do,

We are all dreading that  'final' appearance, but sentiment has no place when it comes to vital points required .

YNWA
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #398: Jan 26, 2015 08:44:07 pm
                            Mignolet

Sturridge

Ooof.

Bingo.

And we'll be even better with Danny in the 3 4 3 as he is a more natural player through the middle yet he will still drift and allow Raheem to move inside.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #399: Jan 26, 2015 08:58:05 pm
                            Mignolet

Sturridge

With two match winners (Gerrard and Lallana) available off the bench!!
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #400: Jan 31, 2015 12:14:04 pm
      hendo and lucas in midfield bring no creativity to our squad ... i dont like it
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,571 posts | 732 
      Reply #401: Feb 02, 2015 09:01:02 pm
      I still don't see 3-4-3 Being a long term solution. Looking at the formations from our biggest Wins last season. I don't see why we cant eventually go back to this. If sturridge is fit, he's proven that he can play up front on his own. He did while Suarez was suspended and did well. I think Balo and Studge can work up front together, But Overrall the main problem is we havent replaced suarez with anyone with similar playing attributes And if sturridge injured we're fu**ed because balo up front on his own doesnt work well for us.

We could possible use Sterling in place of suarez and use Lallana where Sterling played, but we are still left with a dilemma if Studge gets injured

4-0 Everton

5-0 Arsenal

0-3 United

0-5 Spurs

3-2 City
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #402: Feb 02, 2015 09:27:09 pm
      I still don't see 3-4-3 Being a long term solution. Looking at the formations from our biggest Wins last season. I don't see why we cant eventually go back to this. If sturridge is fit, he's proven that he can play up front on his own. He did while Suarez was suspended and did well. I think Balo and Studge can work up front together, But Overrall the main problem is we havent replaced suarez with anyone with similar playing attributes And if sturridge injured we're fu**ed because balo up front on his own doesnt work well for us.

We could possible use Sterling in place of suarez and use Lallana where Sterling played, but we are still left with a dilemma if Studge gets injured

4-0 Everton

5-0 Arsenal

0-3 United

0-5 Spurs

3-2 City

I was initially wary of the 343 formation but I think because we are so attack based as a team it is probably the best formation for us to quickly get back in shape for the defensive side of our play.
      The defence has probably looked the most solid since Rodgers has been here.

Thank God to the injuries to Johnson and Lovren otherwise Rodgers would have been in trouble come the end of the season.

From what I have observed our main issue is a lack of goals from midfield. Coutinho, Hendo, Lallana are not producing enough. But having a focal point with Sturridge as the main striker I think we will start to see more goals from the midfield.

So I can't agree with you mate, if it ain't broke and all that.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,571 posts | 732 
      Reply #403: Feb 02, 2015 10:41:26 pm
      I agree, for now we should stick to whats working. But i mean long term..in the future, even next season. etc. We do have the players to play 3-4-3. But we were so devastating last season "Poetry in Motion" and all that jazz.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #404: Feb 03, 2015 10:23:03 am
      I agree, for now we should stick to whats working. But i mean long term..in the future, even next season. etc. We do have the players to play 3-4-3. But we were so devastating last season "Poetry in Motion" and all that jazz.

Unless we re-sign Luis Suarez or sign a striker of equal ability we will be seeing 3-4-3 for a long time. So best get used to it.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #405: Feb 03, 2015 11:14:21 am
      I don't know what the problem is with playing 343 if it works. 

We desperately needed to shore up the defense and throwing money at it wasn't working nor was the change to a 4231 or whatever we were playing at the start of the season.  Not only has it sorted out the defense but it's allowed us to get back to our fluid, fast paced attacking play.

It gets all our best attacking players on the pitch, it's solidified our midfield without losing its attacking threat and it's strengthened our defensive setup by covering our weaknesses, pushing Skrtel deeper and negating Migs fear of straying from his line.

I have a feeling it's here to stay, especially if the goals and with them, the wins start to come.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #406: Feb 03, 2015 11:20:03 am
      3 4 3 is perfect for our squad right now and it gets all put best players on the pitch and the same time as well.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #407: Feb 03, 2015 03:04:12 pm
      3 4 3 is perfect for our squad right now and it gets all put best players on the pitch and the same time as well.

I agree. With a lack of quality strikers in the team, I feel 343 is perfect for us. We can play both Coutinho and Sterling in the #10 position with 2 central midfielders protecting the back 3 and still have width.

I was wary of this formation, but slowly growing fond of it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #408: Feb 03, 2015 03:15:37 pm

Guess we'll just have to rely on Markovic, Moreno, Coutinho, Sterling & Sturridge for that.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #409: Feb 03, 2015 03:26:41 pm

I think Hendo can chip in every so often, but most importantly, the Hendo & Lucas partnership adds stability & balance in the middle. They allow the wing backs and attackers to concentrate on attacking.

I believe Coutinho said recently that the reason for his surge in form is because of the defensive work behind him, and knowing this, it gives him more freedom.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #410: Feb 03, 2015 03:31:01 pm
      Henderson "not creative" with 6 assists from midfield.   ???
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #411: Feb 03, 2015 03:45:56 pm
      I've been thinking more a bit about the 3-4-3. And, as much as loved seeing us score 4-5 goals regularly last season with SAS and the diamond, it's somehow more gratifying to see us win 2-0 like we did at the weekend. Like, our creative players in the 3 are so fluid and we actually look halfway solid defensively!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #412: Feb 03, 2015 04:04:35 pm
      I don't know what the problem is with playing 343 if it works. 

We desperately needed to shore up the defense and throwing money at it wasn't working nor was the change to a 4231 or whatever we were playing at the start of the season.  Not only has it sorted out the defense but it's allowed us to get back to our fluid, fast paced attacking play.

It gets all our best attacking players on the pitch, it's solidified our midfield without losing its attacking threat and it's strengthened our defensive setup by covering our weaknesses, pushing Skrtel deeper and negating Migs fear of straying from his line.

I have a feeling it's here to stay, especially if the goals and with them, the wins start to come.

Yep I agree Debs, however I'd like us to have a plan b and perhaps plan c, we need to have more than 1 option or format to fall back on, thus far we have done pretty well all things considered even more so now that we have our main striker back, hopefully until the end of season,

I like the system it works and will probably get better, I'm sure Brendan does have plans b & c and that they are worked at in training, I'd like to see back up brought in for Lucas, Coutinho & Sturridge come the summer oh and a new keeper, I think Can would be better suited in
      Midfield alongside Henderson, with a new top quality right sided CB to come in for him , for the current season I believe we will continue to prosper and become a very dangerous proposition.

YNWA

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #413: Feb 03, 2015 04:17:59 pm
      I agree. With a lack of quality strikers in the team, I feel 343 is perfect for us. We can play both Coutinho and Sterling in the #10 position with 2 central midfielders protecting the back 3 and still have width.

I was wary of this formation, but slowly growing fond of it.

I've always liked three at the back and reall like this variation of it Brendan is using and like I said it gets the best out of our current squad.

Quick Reply