Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Tactics geeks of the world unite...

Read 149005 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Tactics geeks of the world unite...
      Reply #46: Dec 07, 2012 08:01:10 pm
      Anyone suggested Lucas play alongside Agger or Skrtyl like Mascherano.It could work at home.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #47: Dec 07, 2012 08:37:46 pm
      Pace.

Playing from the back.
      Pass and move the old way. All looking good.  Barca do it to perfection.

Pace.
      We need to break with lightning speed and need the players up front to do that.

We need the UNpredictability. The options. The ability if we are being pushed up on we can play the counter attack game and the opposition know it.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #48: Dec 07, 2012 10:27:54 pm
      Anyone suggested Lucas play alongside Agger or Skrtyl like Mascherano.It could work at home.

Dont think it could work in the PL to be honest Walton, imo its too physical a league, the way teams play over here and not just the Stokes of the world means that Macherano would struggle at CB.. Every team you played against would play a big strong forward on him, hit it long, bombard from wide, throws, corners, all aiming to put pressure on the small DM playing at CB..

In Spain its intricate, even the lower sides play football in front of the oppositon, they very rarely go long, they rarely try to dominte cbs with height and physical power..
      In europe when English teams play them they tend to try to play a more european game, look at Utd, Fergie plays 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 in the PL, plays two wingers, get wide get it in.. In Europe he tends to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1, dominate midfield.. The reason being if you let the likes of Barca dominate the midfield they will kill you before you can start.
      Barc's game is dependent on possession, id be suprised if they played in the PL whether they wouldnt have to adapt that style, dont get me wrong i think they would be right up there and probably win the league as they are full of utterly world class players but i think they would have to adapt and i think you would see them invest in cbs... They play Macherano in Spain domestically because they know they can, here i dont think they could.

Id be suprised if Macherano could play there in domestic english football.
      Also we need Lucas to play the holding role, he is utterly vital to the way we play, with the full backs pushing forward he tends to play as a "3rd cb" anyway, a modern day sweeper.. If he is fit and stays fit he needs to play that holding role, its vital for us, when he doesnt we lack anyone naturally picking up second balls that drop from the cbs from long balls forward on the counter attack.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4880 
      Reply #49: Dec 07, 2012 11:08:23 pm
      Also we need Lucas to play the holding role, he is utterly vital to the way we play, with the full backs pushing forward he tends to play as a "3rd cb" anyway, a modern day sweeper.. If he is fit and stays fit he needs to play that holding role, its vital for us, when he doesnt we lack anyone naturally picking up second balls that drop from the cbs from long balls forward on the counter attack.

Just about to post this PD.

I don't see Lucas as a starting CB but in Brendan's system he can drop in there when others are attacking.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #50: Dec 07, 2012 11:15:21 pm
      Just about to post this PD.

I don't see Lucas as a starting CB but in Brendan's system he can drop in there when others are attacking.

Yeah he is vital there Si, even when Agger goes striding out his game awareness allows him to sit in for him.. Or when one of the full backs go you see him edge that side of centre to allow himself to get out to full back if needed.

It's such an underrated role but one he does so well
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4880 
      Reply #51: Dec 07, 2012 11:23:55 pm
      Yeah he is vital there Si, even when Agger goes striding out his game awareness allows him to sit in for him.. Or when one of the full backs go you see him edge that side of centre to allow himself to get out to full back if needed.

It's such an underrated role but one he does so well

Indeed.

I actually think I've forgotton how important Lucas is myself, amd I really do rate the lad, as when thinking about it today as he really does allow the others to shine in the managers system.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #52: Dec 08, 2012 12:40:14 am
      Agree
      Put it this way if I was to buy a new shirt and have a name printed on the back it would be Lucas's.
      so important to us and delighted that Rodgers sees that also.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #53: Dec 08, 2012 03:14:15 am
      Very interesting reads here people.

The wing back system with three CB's is a very interesting debate. I personally love the formation and believe if the right players are in place and they're fully down with there roles within the formation it can be deadly.

There is a massive onus on the LCB and RCB of the 3 defenders to know there defending zones. An ideal team to look at is Chile's national team who play it very well. Especially at a youth level, if any of you have had the luck to see them over the last few years there a treat to watch. I believe if these players continue to progress and get to play alongside better players day in day out at club level. they will become a massive force in South American football for the next decade. And indeed we could well see a big influx of Chile's young stars gracing Europe's elite clubs.   

In Dagger I believe we have a player who is tailor made for the left side of the 3, I'm not sure however we have this sort of player to play the right of the 3, Skrtel's attacking side has improved but imo he's better seen in a defensive capacity. First and foremost though you need someone in the centre of the 3 who fully knows the role of all 3 positions and who can cover and direct the players to either side of him.

A few see the 3 cb's and highlight the central of the 3 as having to be the one who brings it out from the back and into midfield. That for me is a bit of a false opinion as with the wing backs role turning into a wide forward when the team attacks, it's a very easy transition for the LCB say to bring the ball forward down the left and for the wing back to really bomb on.

If you have your central of the 3 defenders bringing it out it becomes very condensed in the middle. It also becomes easy to pick up whereas when you're switching between the LCB and RCB bringing out down there respective flanks you become less so.

I personally think the formation works best with 2 forwards or at least a forward and a Bergkamp type player playing between the lines. Who you have up top then imo determines how and what personnel you put in the midfield.

For example against a very defensive side you be happy to put a player in between the 2 forwards and 2 midfielders who has a free role so to speak very much like the role McManaman had for us when Evans played the wing back formation.

If team tactics were down to me with this current squad I wouldn't play the formation, but would be looking in the next couple of windows to bring in 2 possibly 3 players that would be vital for the formation to gel perfectly.

Reina

RCB            Skrtel          Agger

Johnson                                                                        Enrique

Lucas        Allen

Gerrad

ST           Suarez
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #54: Dec 08, 2012 03:20:11 am
      I think the wing back formation doesn't suit Sterling and imo the current 4-3-3 suits our squad more, for me we are only 1 player away from having a solid 1 to 11 with our current formation.

Reina

Johnson      Skrtel     Agger        Enrique

Lucas

Allen       Gerrad

Sterling           Suarez              FW
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #55: Dec 24, 2012 10:20:05 am
      The mixed emotions of a week as a Liverpool fan right now, one week we lose to Villa, our shortcomings in the way BR has us playing shown up, by being far too open to the counter attack, the following week we dominate Fulham and take the chances we created..

What was the difference? Whats the biggest issues with the formation or flaws? Does it need tweaking?

Differences between Fulham and Villa?

Fulham dont have the players to play effective quick counter attack against teams? Berbatov slows the play down. Whereas Villa with Benteke and Weimann had those players to be quick enough to get into those areas we left..

We werent clinical enough when on top? So is it just us that we need to concentrate on rather than overly worry about what they can do to us? Especially at Anfield? Improve ourselves going forward, add a couple of players, take chances and then the oppostion become disheartened and less of a threat? If we are two up after dominating the first half hour would that happen? Would they become more open and we more effective on the counter?
      Or do we look when against teams like Villa with quick effective counter attacking players that we tweak it, we dont rely just on the pass-pass-pass option with the full backs bombing on, that we look more to get the ball forward in less passes, to our attacking 4 or 5 and let them do the work up there then keeping a tight defensive 4 or 5 to shut off the counter?

Lets look at the home form this season,
      I think for this season alone im willing to forget about Utd, Arsenal and City whilst we settle into a new gaffer so early into his reign..
      So
      Stoke D
      Newcastle D
      Wigan W
      Southampton W
      Villa L
      Fulham W

A recent turn round in home form with the Villa game sticking out, now last season we had an issue with drawing too many at home so do we "accept" the odd Villa result in to win more? The more open style may lead to more defeats but more wins and therefore more points? And as we develop then those defeats may become less against those teams?
      The last 4 home games in the league, Won 3 lost 1, 9pts.. Better than win 1 draw 3? 6 pts? or even win 2 draw 2, 8pts.. Maybe we need to accept that as a way to be more effective and win more games.

I do think we need to develop the system slightly though against certain teams.. Against Fulham with the type of players they have, we can dominate possession and worry less against the counter, but against teams with quick players maybe we need to adjust it.. Like i say, be more pragmatic in attack, dont commit so many forward, still play with the same "style" but with more thought to not being so open when they hit us quickly?

The next 3 games are so important to our season for me, Stoke away, QPR away and Sunderland home, we need to get 7-9 points from them, if we do then a top 4 finish is in our grasp, with a few new faces and confidence higher? Skys the limit.
      The more clinical we become then the less we will have to worry against the counter.
      nohockeynoproblem
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 54 posts |
      Reply #56: Dec 30, 2012 04:39:31 am
      Good topic, good reads, nice to find a thread that isn't in abject misery :)

I think that BR has been pretty hindered by the options at his disposal. Suarez is forced to play up the middle because we have no one else who can play between the lines other than him. Our teenagers are getting chewed up in there, and that is part of what the formation needs.

This is what I mean:

final third:

enrique  backxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxline johnson

sterling            suarez           downing

midfieldxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxshield

allen                 lukas             gerrard

I mean, once you look at where your young offensive mid/forwards need to operate, its pretty tough ground. So pretty much all season Suarez has had to play two roles, swinging back into the gap to get  the ball and then penetrating the defense with one-two's or just by himself. So BR has tried to put Shelvey in Suarez's spot as an attacking midfielder and pushing Suarez further forward, with pretty unsurprising results. Sahin and Allen don't fit there either, and that's why we haven't seen them used there and probably won't.

What this team desperately needs is a creator, and an opportunistic finisher. Suarez should slide over to the left and Sterling on the right with Sturridge occupying space to create room for that attacking mid and the forwards on either side of him. That is why Sturridge is the perfect player for that role, he is big, strong and has a nose for the net and loose balls. But they still won't make the CL spots without an experienced offensive mid.

I believe that there is some hope that FSG will pony up this window. There seems to be a lot of posturing going on with BR lowering expectations, now trying to use the possibility of Suarez leaving as leverage probably on both FSG and the players. It will be interesting. Sneijder is being offered up on a plate for us, with most of the big clubs bowing out of making significant moves, Russia being no place for a family and Totteham in worse financial shape than us.

When they have that player in place, someone good with through balls, technical, quick and smart, and experienced... not asking much eh. Then Gerrard can sit back and read the play, deciding when to jump forward, and when to hang back and switch the play with a long ball or a cross back into the box which is the perfect role for him to grow into. That's a spot where he can really lead from, like a foot ball QB, but also scramble forward on one of his trademark runs.

I agree that Skertl and Agger need time to adjust, and I don't find it too surprising that they have made several errors. Thats learning. I fully believe that they can grow, and what they learn will only make them better players.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #57: Dec 30, 2012 03:30:00 pm
      Tactics ?
      Nah.

Found the secret. Holy Grail.

Mancini  @ Mancity
      Arsene @ Arsenal
      C**t @  ManU

Dougie Livermore @  Liverpool.

and hes a Prescot lad.

Perfect.

Sorted.

I'll go and lie down
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #58: Dec 31, 2012 04:25:38 pm
      Two recent games, two completely different results and on the face of it two different performances.. But what was different? Why were we so different at Stoke to QPR..

Stoke never aloowed us to settle, when we had it they let us come so far, you would notice that they wouldnt press our cbs that much, but once the ball got over the half way line they would be on us as quick as possible, hassling, trying to win the ball, not letting us settle into our passing style, and trying to hit Suarez, Suso and Downing hard when they recieved it.. It takes a high level of fitness to do this for 90 minutes, but they did, and maybe thats why two days later they looked heavy legged against Southampton and unable to produce the same high level..

Make your football formation with this11.com

They would leave Etherington, Kightly the other side of our full backs and Jones to distract Agger and Skrtel from getting too ttight to them, letting the other 7 press and win the ball, once they had it they would look quick and wide for the fast counter..

Draw your tactical diagram with this11.com

Whereas against QPR they strangly sat off us, especially first half, let us play, giving Suarez so much room, eveident on the first goal where no one from midfield picked him up dropping deep and neither cb went with him..

Use this11.com for drawing your football tactics

No one at all was marking or pressing, they stood off let us play, the back 4 so flat.. They just allowed us to dictate it, a side like us will always win games when we are allowed to play..
      Suarez, as good a goal as it was, all he did was dropped ten yards, was allowed to turn and run at Hill who just let him come into the penalty box, where he was flat footed, unable to tackle..

I bet Arry did his nut..

The Way he set them up was essentially the same as Stoke did, they played two quick wide men to attack on the counter, Wright Phillips, Mackie, and Cisse up top to try to run into the gaps the cbs would leave.. They just didnt press and never won the ball quick enough to have us on the back foot and out of position..
      By the time they did eventually get it back, we had a couple turning and back in position..

They allowed us to play, not taking it away from our lads, as we still had to go and win the game which we did well, but we started well at Stoke, only to get pressedout of the game.. We need to come up with a better plan that when teams are as good as Stoke were against us in stopping our game that we find a way around it
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4880 
      Reply #59: Jan 13, 2013 10:56:23 pm
      Just a little bit on our midfield which was yet again a problem for us today.

Earlier in the season I was looking for Gerrard to be played further forward, in the front line, but as time has went on I've realised that for various reasons he will be one of the deeper midfielders under Brendan. It looked like he was just there as extra experience while Lucas was out but now Lucas is back he is still there which is fine a I feel his form has been very good for a while now.

It looks like Lucas is the holding, Gerrard is slightly ahead and then one other ahead again as Brendan has talked about before.

Lucas
                      Stevie

Allen

Now this is where we got it wrong today as Allen will never be that player furthest forward. In fact Brendan has always talked about him being the next one ahead of Lucas and went so far as telling us what a player we would see when he is there and Lucas is back.

Now it could be that Brendan has stumbled upon this being Gerrard's best position, he did talk earlier in the season about Gerrard as a forward, but it begs the question what do we do with Allen? Or more importantly. What will Brendan do with Allen?

We have at least four better options than Allen for the role. Shelvey, Suarez, Suso and to a lesser extent Henderson so will the boss persist with Allen there to the detriment of the team or bite the bullet, sit Joe out and use him as cover for Gerrard, and play someone more natural in the position.

Lucas
                     Gerrard

Downing       Suarez        Sterling

Sturridge

This looked much more like it when he made the change today and although Suarez comes to the position froma different persective being a forward it shows that Brendan doesn't have to rigidly stick to his exact system to get the best out of our players.
      « Last Edit: Jan 13, 2013 11:16:08 pm by srslfc »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #60: Jan 13, 2013 11:36:42 pm
      Lucas
                     Gerrard

Downing       Suarez        Sterling

Sturridge

This looked much more like it when he made the change today and although Suarez comes to the position froma different persective being a forward it shows that Brendan doesn't have to rigidly stick to his exact system to get the best out of our players.

Except it was Allen and not Lucas playing mate ;)

In essence I agree that Allen should be dropped as when he's not there, we seem to get the best out of Stevie who is still arguably our best, and most important, player. If he's on form, chances are we're gonna win more than we lose.

Now I'm a huge fan of the 4-4-2 system, I've made no secret about that in the past. It's what I grew up with and it's what I'd rather see especially when you've got two out and out goalscoring forwards like Sturridge and Suarez. It makes sense to play them as forwards. But as so many people have rightly pointed out, there's not such thing as a set formation anymore (f there ever was for that matter) as players interchange and so do systems practically every minute of the game.

I was listening to Ian St John on LFCTV tonight talking about promotion in 62 and how his role changed from Motherwell to Liverpool. At Motherwell he was the finisher, but at Liverpool he was asked to play a slightly deeper role and move the centre halves around to create space for Hunt. That's what I'd like to see from Suarez and Sturridge. One dropping slightly deeper creating space for the other to run into and exploit.

For that to happen though, the ball needs to get up to the front men early and crisply. For that to happen, Allen has to be out of the team.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #61: Jan 16, 2013 06:52:31 pm
      Ive been mulling over what i (yes me, just opinion nothing else) think we are currently missing in a tactical sense..

Now Brendan seems to want to play his system that he fully trusts, and part of me respects that alot, he feels that once he gets us ticking and maybe a few more of "his players" in then it will work more fluidly. Now for me as ive repeatedly said throughout the season we look so suseptable to the quick counter, teams allow us to come on to them, press us or even wait for a mistake then punish us with a swift counter.. I think that we are not yet at the level in terms of being such a high quality passing unit that teams are waiting for us to make that mistake and its happening alot, that must frustrate Brendan..That we give up possession a bit easy at times..

One thing that sticks out to me is that we dont play as a unit.. Ive been thinking all season that the front 3 are too high, but watching back a few games over the last few days that the front 3 being high is essential to the way he wants to to go at teams.. So therefore its the defence that is too deep.. We need to press as a unit rather than as different factions of a side, the front then the midfield and then the ball is on top of the defenders before we can react..
      If we pushed the defnders up higher then the midfield 3 would have less ground to cover and would be able to hunt in packs rather thanon their own and getting passed around.. You do need quick defenders for that, but i dont think we are sluggish and Pepe is one of the best sweeper keepers out there so it would be natural for him to play it..

At the minute we seem to set up like this

Find your football tactics app at this11.com

Look at the ground and space the midfield 3 have got to cover, its impossible.. We played against a 4 in there against utd first half the other day and they were visibly chasing shadows. When we changed to the 4-2-3-1 essentially we were able to match them and get a foot hold in the midfield..

I think even with this formation what we desperately need to do if Brendan wants the front three high is move the back 4 up the field so we are more compact, then just be aware of players trying to get in behind, and make sure the line is tight for the offsides.. Also Pepe aware he needs to sweep up..

Draw your tactical diagram with this11.com

You can see even on a drawing that the midfield are closer together, the defence is just behind them.. They have less running and covering to do, they can close in twos or threes and it becomes more effective in terms of pressing and being less suseptable to the counter attack..

From what i can see as well its either Lucas or Allen in midfield not both.. Gerrard is playing the middle of the 3 essentially.. In more of a Lothar Matthaus type version of that rather than an Alonso.. But Allen cant play that front pivot of the three, he isnt mobile enough and doesnt have the engine to be the further forward to be pressing everywhere.. Henderson is more suited to that.. Its not the No.10 role, Suarez fills that... Its just the one with the biggest engine to rat around..
      So its either Allen or Lucas for the furthest deep position..

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #62: Jan 16, 2013 07:17:27 pm
      I mentioned this weeks ago PD. 

If you look at Barca their midfield generally operate from inside the opposition half upto the penalty area, whereas we do our faffing around in our own half or on the halfway line.

I say "faffing around" because there is no penetration forwards with the ball and no forward push from the midfield when the ball does go past them.  When the fullbacks bomb down the wings they invariably have to stop and wait for the midfield to catch up, losing momentum and any threat that the move should have produced.

We don't seem to move across the pitch either.  The old Liverpool use to swing like a pendulum.  When the fullbacks attack down the wings the midfield is still central meaning any pass is easily cut out.  It also means there is no cover behind to stop the counterattack. 
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #63: Jan 16, 2013 09:13:09 pm
      You'll have to find a balance though because the higher the line, the more susceptible to the counter you become. Absolutely killed AVB at Chelsea last year. So we should probably drop the attacking line a few yards, push up the backline a bit, and make sure the midfield is properly balanced in between.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #64: Jan 16, 2013 09:19:41 pm
      You'll have to find a balance though because the higher the line, the more susceptible to the counter you become. Absolutely killed AVB at Chelsea last year. So we should probably drop the attacking line a few yards, push up the backline a bit, and make sure the midfield is properly balanced in between.

Yeah fair point mate

However Brendan's formation seems to rely on the three forwards staying high so we need to cut out the fact that the midfield has so much to do.. For me Pepe is one of the best around at sweeping up, the back 4 don't have to go to the halfway line but say half way between the penalty box and halfway line...
      We are too split currently, we can't press as a unit...

You're right that it can't be too high but if you press correctly most of the time you can stop the quick counter before the long ball goes over.
      For it to work everyone just needs to work very hard.

A solution needs to be found on our current issue with the midfield.

In transition we aren't great at the moment
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #65: Jan 16, 2013 09:28:30 pm
      Yeah fair point mate

However Brendan's formation seems to rely on the three forwards staying high so we need to cut out the fact that the midfield has so much to do.. For me Pepe is one of the best around at sweeping up, the back 4 don't have to go to the halfway line but say half way between the penalty box and halfway line...
      We are too split currently, we can't press as a unit...

You're right that it can't be too high but if you press correctly most of the time you can stop the quick counter before the long ball goes over.
      For it to work everyone just needs to work very hard.

A solution needs to be found on our current issue with the midfield.

In transition we aren't great at the moment

Some good points in there, especially the bit about everybody needing to work hard. I've actually been pretty disappointed with our pressing from the front three this season. I can only think of Suarez's goal vs Wigan where they pressed well and worked (Raheem's tackle and assist to Suarez).

My own thinking here, but I think they need to press the backline hard when they have the ball, but drop deeper when we're passing it along our backline. Right now, they stay too high and that's why we backpass so much. No outlet.

Yeah the midfield is imbalanced. I think we're still trying to find our best balance. I think the Lucas-Gerrard-Henderson one you have can be a good one. For all of Hendo's faults, the one thing he excels at is his energy and ability to press.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4880 
      Reply #66: Jan 16, 2013 10:30:03 pm
      Got to agree with you PD in that if Gerrard and Lucas start we need someone else with energy for the other position and forme Henderson is that man at the minute.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4880 
      Reply #67: Jan 22, 2013 10:15:41 am
      The game at the weekend was for me our best performance of the season and I think it was down to a couple of reasons.

1. The manager finally got the right blend in his midfield three

2. Attacking options.

We have discussed the midfield at length in here and have posted different players in different positions in the three but Saturday was the most complete the three have looked as a unit all season.

I'm not sure about anyone else but I have accepted that Gerrard's position, and possibly his best, in Brendan's midfield will be one of the deeper roles, slightly ahead of Lucas. Easily his best performance for us of the season and possibly last season as well. Very impressive display with the right blend of short passing, discipline, long passes and some attacking threat as well. It's one reason why I don't think Brendan has the slightest interest in signing Alonso. Under Brendan Gerrard is no longer an attacking player but he is making himself the most important player in the side once again.

Lucas also had his best game since coming back and looked to have more of his energy back and along with Gerrard gave little away in the middle of the pitch. We all know that a fully fit, and in form Lucas, is crucial to how Brendan wants to play and also give Gerrard the licence to get forward more than he has done all season as he has that extra protection behind him that Allen never truly offered.

The third man selected in midfield though was the key as by playing Henderson instead of Allen it gave us a more energy in midfield, more pressing of the opposition and also more of a link to the front three. Allen never really offered this in the position but because Jordan moves around the pitch so well it did mean the midfield was much closer to the front three than we have seen for most of the season.

Lucas
          Gerrard

Henderson

Now I'm not sure if Henderson is going to be the best option going forward but those three do give a great platform to move on through the next number of games. A proper attacking mid or No.10 would give us even more in a creative sense but for now this is our best three in midfield.

The extra attacking threat Sturridge gave us was there for all to see and while I've seen a few on here post that they thought it was 4 4 2 I don't think it was although when we attacked formation wasn't important anyway as players were interchanging and moving around at will which is what should happen as it give the opposition more to think about.

To me it lined up like this

Downing  Sturridge  Suarez

Downing was the only one to keep his postion which wasn't a bad thing in my opinion as with Wisdom playing RB he doesn't offer the same attacking threat as Glen so by Stewart staying wide most of the time it helped the RB and gave us options on the right.

Suarez never stayed in one position and also with Glen attacking down the left and playing almost as a winger it meant he didn't have to which is why Luis always looked close to Sturridge and why during the game it might have looked like a 4 4 2.

Strurridge and Suarez interchanged all through the game and when Luis did leave the left side Henderson moved over there a lot which is also something Allen wouldn't have gave us in his position.

After watching the game I can see three positions where the manager can, and possible wants, to improve the team.

Left back, the right of the front three and the attacking midfield or number 10 position.

Reina

Johnson  Skrtel  Agger  _____

Lucas

Gerrard

______

______  Sturridge  Suarez

If we have Glen in his natural position it allows us to play someone ahead of him who can also interchange with the other two and will give the manager the free flowing fluid three I think he is after. Johnson will give the width and against all but the very best sides doesn't have to worry too much about defending especially if Lucas is on top of his game. It can be a left or right sided player as Luis can start on either side because we know he will move into whatever position he feels is most dangerous. Add a LB similar in style to Glen and again they provide the width and attacking threat which allows the front three more freedom to move around and get inside to give more options.

Finally the AM and although Henderson was great there if we had a more creative player there who still provided the energy Jordan gives it will add much more to the attacking side of our game and also a more natural forward player will interchange with Suarez when he drops deep and take his place further forward.

I will add that the impressive display from the team was against a side we have scored 10 past this season but for me at least I finally got a real idea of what the manager is aiming for and also more importantly he rectified mistakes from the previous games and has appeared to got the right players playing in the right positions.

I hope it wasn't a one off and we build on this now for the remainder of the season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4880 
      Reply #68: Feb 04, 2013 03:41:53 pm
      A couple of changes yesterday alongside a slight tactical adjustment has shown me that the manager looked at the Arsenal game and seen where he could improve the team to get a result against City.

At the back Carra and Enrique came which gave us two things.

1. Balance in both full back positons with boht players on their natural sides.

2. Organistaion and leadership at the back.

For me Brendan's system needs proper attacking full backs on both sides to give us the width and with Jose back it allowed Glen to switch over and gave us much more balance especially going forward. It also allowed him to make another tactical change further up the pitch which I'll go into later.

I thought with the addition of Jamie we looked a lot more defensively solid and assured than we did against Arsenal and perhaps why there was less panic throughout the game and we actually looked like a side that wasn't afraid to lose the game which was a contrast to the game in midweek.

The inclusion of Enrique also allowed Brendan to change things around further up the pitch. Because of his attacking threat on his natural side he could play Henderson on the left but more tucked in which allowed Luis to play more centrally again and also take a lot of the defensive duites away from him which he appeared to have against Arsenal.

I know some have complained thet Jordan doesn't offer enough in an attacking sense on the left but I don't think the manager was expecting him to as with Enrique able to get forward and Luis and Sturridge in the centre Jordan's job was to make it diffiult for them to attck down thier right and also use his energy to tuck into midfield when he could to give us an extra man.

Glen                                                 Enrique

Lucas  Gerrard

Henderson
      Downing    Suarez

Sturridge

This is how I seen it and for me the team was interesting and pleasing as it showed that the manager is thinking about the opposition and also using things learned from the previous games to make changes which had a positive affect on our football yesterday.

Quick Reply