Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Tactics geeks of the world unite...

Read 152399 times
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Re: Tactics geeks of the world unite...
      Reply #92: Feb 19, 2013 01:23:51 pm
      I dont think we are going to leave out Coutinho of this one.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #93: Feb 19, 2013 01:27:48 pm
      Nice but the young lad Couthino comes in for me instead of Hendo.  More flair going forwards and always looking for the ball.  Ball retention check, attacking threath check, pass and move (impressed with this) check, defence? Gerrard and Lucas is there to help him but he also needs to show some fire in his belly. 

Would use Hendo as a sub.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #94: Feb 19, 2013 01:36:41 pm
      Passing range and vision also check.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #95: Apr 15, 2013 01:27:15 am
      Top premier league goalscorer,
      Joint second highest clean sheets,
      Fourth highest scoring team in the league,
      7th in the league, 30 points off first...

BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #96: Apr 15, 2013 11:04:33 am
      You forgot the most shot on goal in a match, i forgot who was it against?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #97: Apr 18, 2013 09:49:51 am

Soccer formations made easy with this11.com

I remember listening to The Anfield Wrap not long after Rodgers got the job and he stated one of his prefered formations was 3 at the back.. Now he has only used it once as far as i remember, when he went to it during the derby earlier in the season..

Id like to see him go with it next season.

For me it suits the players we have currently better and could get more out of the talent that we are trying to nuture.

With the 3 center backs it will for me give us a better solidness at the back, the wing backs can make it a 5 when we are under pressure  and Lucas as a holder can make it a 4 as and when needed, with Kelly and Agger moving to full back and Lucas dropping in.. It also give Kelly (and Wisdom) playing time at cb as part of a 3, which will be easier to learn than as a 2.. We need a new "commanding" middle cb to come in to make it work, one that will go and win all the big balls forward, while the other two pick up and drop off around him.. Williams wouldnt be my choice but i think he will come so ill put him in for sake of argument. ( Id like to see Carra hold off retirement for next season, he would get plenty of games in the 3 and will help Kelly and Wisdom move to CB)
      The 3 above along with Wisdom, Carra and another new one would make up my 6 cbs within the squad.

The wing backs provide the width going forward, Jonno and Enrique are two of the better wing backs in the league, and i think that along with Henderson, Downing, Kelly and McLaughlin we have cover for the wing back roles.

With the midfield 3 we have 2 ways of playing it..

Games we expect to dominate we can play a "No.10" behind the strikers..
      Games we expect to be tougher that we need more players in the middle of the park then we can drop the 10 and play a Henderson or Allen deeper alongside Lucas and Gerrard to make us more solid..

Up top it utilises both Suarez and Sturridge, let them develop a partnership, Luis would just get a free role, allow him to drift where he wants and in the games where we drop the "10" Suarez can play as the 10 behind Sturridge..

The current squad with this formation we have cover for alot of the positions already..

Cbs
      Carra
      Agger
      Kelly
      Wisdom
      New
      New

Wing backs
      Johnson
      Enrique
      Downing
      Henderson
      Kelly
      McLaughlin

Cms
      Gerrrad
      Allen
      Henderson
      Lucas

Strikers
      Suarez
      Sturridge
      Borini
      Sterling

No.10s
      Coutinho
      Suarez
      Suso

I think Borini would be better used as rotation for Sturridge, and id use Sterling and his pace up front as well..

Id move on
      Assaidi
      Skrtel
      Coates
      Carroll
      Wilson
      Shelvey (loan)
      Spearing
      And add that money to money made available to look to bring in 2 cbs, a cm and a striker

Just me though..
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #98: Apr 18, 2013 11:35:09 am

I remember listening to The Anfield Wrap not long after Rodgers got the job and he stated one of his prefered formations was 3 at the back.. Now he has only used it once as far as i remember, when he went to it during the derby earlier in the season..

Id like to see him go with it next season.

For me it suits the players we have currently better and could get more out of the talent that we are trying to nuture.

With the 3 center backs it will for me give us a better solidness at the back, the wing backs can make it a 5 when we are under pressure  and Lucas as a holder can make it a 4 as and when needed, with Kelly and Agger moving to full back and Lucas dropping in.. It also give Kelly (and Wisdom) playing time at cb as part of a 3, which will be easier to learn than as a 2.. We need a new "commanding" middle cb to come in to make it work, one that will go and win all the big balls forward, while the other two pick up and drop off around him.. Williams wouldnt be my choice but i think he will come so ill put him in for sake of argument. ( Id like to see Carra hold off retirement for next season, he would get plenty of games in the 3 and will help Kelly and Wisdom move to CB)
      The 3 above along with Wisdom, Carra and another new one would make up my 6 cbs within the squad.

The wing backs provide the width going forward, Jonno and Enrique are two of the better wing backs in the league, and i think that along with Henderson, Downing, Kelly and McLaughlin we have cover for the wing back roles.

With the midfield 3 we have 2 ways of playing it..

Games we expect to dominate we can play a "No.10" behind the strikers..
      Games we expect to be tougher that we need more players in the middle of the park then we can drop the 10 and play a Henderson or Allen deeper alongside Lucas and Gerrard to make us more solid..

Up top it utilises both Suarez and Sturridge, let them develop a partnership, Luis would just get a free role, allow him to drift where he wants and in the games where we drop the "10" Suarez can play as the 10 behind Sturridge..

The current squad with this formation we have cover for alot of the positions already..

Cbs
      Carra
      Agger
      Kelly
      Wisdom
      New
      New

Wing backs
      Johnson
      Enrique
      Downing
      Henderson
      Kelly
      McLaughlin

Cms
      Gerrrad
      Allen
      Henderson
      Lucas

Strikers
      Suarez
      Sturridge
      Borini
      Sterling

No.10s
      Coutinho
      Suarez
      Suso

I think Borini would be better used as rotation for Sturridge, and id use Sterling and his pace up front as well..

Id move on
      Assaidi
      Skrtel
      Coates
      Carroll
      Wilson
      Shelvey (loan)
      Spearing
      And add that money to money made available to look to bring in 2 cbs, a cm and a striker

Just me though..

At the moment, our 2 CB's go very wide, and Lucas drops deep as the full backs push up, so in a way we're kind of playing 3 at the back anyway, but 3 CB's would obviously be better.
      The problem as I see it is that the player who stays central needs to not only be good at distribution, but also has to be pretty quick, a good reader of play and an excellent defender, unless he plays the sweeper role, in which case the other 2 CB's would have to be narrower.
      So to play this system we need 2 more CB's in the summer, and rotate skrtle and Coates.

Sweeper
                                                               CB                                                                                                    CB

Deep playmaker

or

CB                                                                CB                                                                   CB

Deep Playmaker

In either system the FB's should be acting like wingbacks, and pushing on but the deep playmaker needs to be a good defender as well.
      I'm not sure Lucas has the passing range to play deep. Gerrard does, but he is not as good a defender as Lucas, so ideally (with the players we have now) Gerrard and Lucas would play deep with Gerrard slightly in front of Lucas.
      The obvious problem is the disconnect between the 2 deep players and the more attacking players, but as we press higher up the pitch, this would allow Gerrard to attack a bit more with Lucas as the "safety net", sweeping in front of the back 3.

At first, it sounds a very defensive system, but with the right application it can be very fluid, given that our 2 FB's are pretty quick.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #99: Apr 22, 2013 10:02:53 pm
      So here is a question then.

Who do we see as back up striker? NGOO?

Suarez done for the year I would think.
      Borini done for the year.

I am sure we could play with just Daniel upfront but we have to have someone else and I don't particularly want it to be Shelvey.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #100: May 01, 2013 12:11:59 am
      A couple of interesting things we seen at the weekend without Suarez in the side.

The first isn't really anything to do with Luis but Pepe was really on his toes the whole game and looking to get the attack going very quickly much how he used to with Rafa. I've seen it a few times this season but this is the first game I've really noticed it again from the kick off and throughout the game. One of his best assets and one which the manager hasn't made use of enough this season.

I'm not sure if it was a tactic the boss used because we had Sturridge up front who seems to stretch the play much more than Luis when he plays through the middle or if Pepe himself seen this as the game progressed but as much as possession football is nice to watch I also love to see these quick attacks started from our keeper and when done right are even more effective.

Up front in the absence of Suarez we played Sturridge through the middle and as I said he gives us something different as he is more of a focal point to the attack and is great and stretching the play. He also seemed to enjoy the responsibility of being the main striker in the side.

Behind him we seemed to start with a three of Gerrard, Lucas and Henderson with Coutinho and Downing as the wide attackers

Lucas  Gerrard

Henderson

Downing  Sturridge  Coutinho

But as the game progressed Coutinho was the main threat and constantly drifted inside to play as the No. 10 and he showed how effective he can be in this role. He was confortable on the ball, and was always looking for the through ball to the forwards. The key to allowing him the space and time to come inside so much was Henderson's willingness and intelligence to move left to cover the space and for a lot of the game he done this and was also getting forward to support the attack from here so we didn't lose anything going forward while he was able to cover defensively as well. It played more like this as the game went on

Lucas
                 Gerrard

Downing          Coutinho           Henderson

Sturridge

Now Suarez is our best player but what we showed at the weekend is that we have players to come in when he isn't available and we actually looked more of a team in attack without him which was interesting.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #101: May 01, 2013 12:30:10 am
      I agree with all of your post and it is something I touched on when the Coutinho and Sturridge signings were first mentioned and people were not too keen on the young lad taking the 10 role nor Sturridge playing the main striking role. I suggested that while Luis is undoubtedly a better striker than Sturridge (for now) trying to find a better wide forward than Luis would be a harder thing to do than replace him as striker.

I think when we actually manage to convince Luis to play on the left of our attack and have Coutinho move inside the balance of the attack will be tremendous, because all 3 of those players can effectively play all 3 positions at least well if not exceptionally. I think Sturridge and Suarez need to both learn to be slightly less selfish, although it's something that is coached into strikers as well but if they can manage to choose the best option more consistently then our attack will be absolutely lethal.

I've made it abundantly clear I see Downing as the weak link in our attack and would love him to be replaced. A Valencia type as Diego suggested wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. However without a huge turnaround in the squad I don't see that being addressed this summer and feel we may have to endure Downing for another season.

Considering for such a long time in the recent past I felt our left hand side was the most crippled and frustrating it is quite surprising that I am now much more confident of our left hand side when Enrique starts than I am of our right.

harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #102: May 01, 2013 03:30:01 pm
      Very well said SRS and Luke!!  A few additional comments:

Before Coutinho really started to feature for us, we had seemingly found a good balance in the team by employing a 4-4-1-1 during the run of games against Norwich, Arsenal, and City (although Luis played down the left against Arsenal).  In this setup, Luis usually tucked in behind Sturridge in the #10 role, while Hendo and Downing acted as inverted LM/RM respectively.  This gave us the industry on the flanks to protect against the counter, but also allowed us to combine through the middle and get Luis involved as much as possible as our chief creator.  However, it was only a matter of time before Coutinho forced his way into the starting lineup due to his incredible talent/ability.  BR opted to bring him in at the expense of Hendo, which provided mixed results.  While we were more creative in attack with the quartet of Sturridge, Suarez, Coutinho, and Downing, we were also left exposed in midfield and got overrun by Southampton for this exact reason.  This has been the crux of BR's dilemma:  How can he find the right balance of creativity and industry to get the most effective lineup? 

Saturday's game against Newcastle seemed to have us back in the 4-4-1-1, only this time it was Coutinho in the #10 role.  As SRS mentioned, Sturridge has a brilliant ability to stretch the field vertically with his pace.  However, he also has the ability to check back into space to pick the ball up as was the case for our 2nd goal (and what a brilliant move that was).  Again, we had the right balance of creativity/industry in midfield, and the space created by Sturridge's pace through the channels allowed Coutinho to find pockets between midfield and defense to get on the ball and create with his passing/dribbling/vision. 

Now, I realize it was only one game, and Newcastle were poor at best, but I believe it was also the best that we have played all season.  There was not an over reliance on any one player (although Coutinho seemed to steal the show), and we played very well throughout the entire team.  Everyone looked comfortable in possession, and the duo of Gerrard/Lucas did a fantastic job of breaking up play and moving the ball about the pitch to keep possession.  Coutinho and Sturridge provided the cutting edge, and everything clicked into place. 

So, the dilemma for BR still remains, although the question is slightly different:  Where does Luis play when he comes back into the team so as not to disrupt the balance that we have seemingly found?

Aside from a dominant CB to partner Agger in defense, I see RM and LM (Downing and Hendo) as the two areas that can/should be the main priorities to improve upon in the summer.  However, I think that Luis could be the perfect option to fill one of these roles.  We all know he has the ability to be a real threat in attack, but he also has the tenacity and work rate to be helpful and effective in defense.  Hendo has been playing better and seems to be improving with each game, so perhaps Luis at RM would make the most sense moving into next season..... 

My apologies for the long winded nature of this post.  Just few things I've been mulling over since Saturday and wanted to write them out and discuss with my fellow reds :)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #103: May 01, 2013 05:59:22 pm
      Don't worry about being long winded Harry!

This seems to be the thread for these type of posts.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #104: May 07, 2013 08:25:36 pm
      Last week, someone made a comment (probably somewhere in the transfer thread) referring to the the Munich/Barca game and how Munich's tactical approach is built around pacy wingers and the ability to score very quickly after winning possession back.  They went on to make the comment that LFC used to have great wingers (Liddell, Heighway, Thommo, Barnes, etc) but have lacked in that area for years now.  It has easily been our weakest area in the team for over a decade now!!

Not too long ago (scroll up a post or two) I made the comment that BR has seemingly settled on a 4-4-1-1 formation because it gives us good balance on both sides of the ball.  It can feature either Coutinho/Suarez in the #10 role and either Suarez/Sturridge up top.  However, it also unfortunately features Downing/Hendo as RM/LM respectively.  While this formation/style has seemingly given us a good balance, I recently got to thinking about the comment made about the wingers.  Perhaps BR isn't necessarily an advocate of the 4-4-1-1 that we have been employing, and he has only been utilizing it out of necessity because the players we have tend to lend themselves to that formation.  If you look at the team that he built at Swansea, his system was more focused on pacy wingers (Dyer, Sinclair, Routledge) than industrious outside midfielders (Hendo & Downing).  With that in mind, perhaps he will be looking to push us more in this direction over the summer. 

BR has seemingly wanted to model our style of play after the Tiki-Taka employed by Barca, in which they use a false 9 (Messi) who drops deep to get on the ball and create as well as get into the box to finish off chances.  Suarez is a prototypical false 9, and looks set to be the focal point of our attack for years to come.  We also seemingly have a Xavi in our ranks (although not the Welsh Xavi), as Stevie G has been showing that his range of passing and vision still ranks among the very best in the game.  Lucas plays a very similar holding midfield role to Busquets, and we have potentially uncovered a real gem of a playmaker in Coutinho who could be our Iniesta in this system.  An interesting sidenote, Iniesta always seems to be more effective for Barca/Spain when playing through the middle of midfield than when he is deployed out wide much like Coutinho for LFC.  For me, the big difference between us and Barca seems to be the creative play (or lack thereof) from our wide areas.  Pedro is a special player and his technique/skill set are very uncommon amongst most modern day wingers and it would be hard to find another wide player who boasts the same talents as him.  Tello and Sanchez are more traditional modern wingers and are likely the type of wide players that I would imagine BR will puruse as they seem more similar to the wide players he had at Swansea.  The great thing about pacy wingers is that they force the opposition's fullback's to stay deep so as not to get caught on the counter attack, and they allow you to stay on the front foot and press high up the pitch rather than having to fall back after losing possession.

Two players who seem to fit into this "system" are the thus far unmentioned Daniel Sturridge and Raheem Sterling.  Danny is an adaptable CF who has the pace, skill, and technical ability to play as a winger, and he also has a familiarity with this role from his time spent on the RW at Chelsea under AVB.  Sterling is a world class LW in the making, and the only thing keeping him from being a consistent starter in our current team is his tender age and our need to nurture his development slowly.  However, moving forward I can see how these two would fit into a 4-2-1-3 system that would deploy Gerrard/Lucas as our deep lying midfielders, Coutinho as our #10, Suarez as our false #9, and Sturridge/Sterling as our inverted wingers.  However, even with these two players fitting into the system we still have a lack of quality depth in our attacking ranks.  Which brings me back to my original point, I could see Hendo/Downing as the obvious players that we look to improve on over the summer - along with the obvious need for reinforcements at CB due to the loss of Carra and Wilson, and the potential departures of Skrtel and Coates, but I'll leave that for a different discussion. 

Another thing that BR seems to look for in recruits is tactical flexibility, so that our attacking players can be fluid and interchange positions freely.  Recently we have seen Coutinho popping up on the wing, dropping into a deep central position, then making runs through the middle as if playing CF; Suarez is always granted the freedom to roam wherever he feels like; and even Sturridge has been given license to roam lately as well.  That being said, a few players who may well be available this summer who fit into the "pacy winger" category and also have the tactical flexibility to play through the middle are:

P.E. Aubameyang - Young, incredibly pacy forward with an eye for goal.  He has experience playing through the middle, but lately Galtier has been opting to play Brandao through the middle with Aubameyang playing at RW and he has been thriving there scoring 19 goals and grabbing 9 assists in 34 games this season!!  If Saint-Etienne fail to make the CL places, he will likely be sold to the highest bidder over the summer. 

Loic Remy - Most people on here know plenty about Remy after seeing him play for QPR over the last couple of months.  Remy (like Sturridge and Aubameyang) has the ability to play through the middle or on the wing, and he offers great pace along with some decent skills and is composed in front of goal.  With the R's getting relegated, he will likely be available over the summer. 

Rumors are abound that Aubameyang would cost between 10-15M this summer, while Remy is rumored to have a release clause of 8M in his contract.  If we can get anywhere near 15M for Andy Carrol over the summer (keep your fingers crossed that he finishes the season on a high lads!!) then we could realistically add both of these two adaptable forwards with very little dent in our transfer budget.  Add to them a dominant CB (Ezequiel Garay please) and possibly another top CM (Kevin Strootman anyone) and we would be a real force again!! 

Interestingly enough, if we were to add the above players to our squad (by my calculations we would need a transfer budget of roughly 35-40M plus player sales) I would actually think we would have a closer resemblance to the personnel/tactics of Bayern Munich than to those currently employed by Barcelona which I doubt too many fans would complain about :)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #105: May 14, 2013 06:15:26 pm
      Here's one for all you tactic geeks out there.

Arrigo Sacchi ACMilan defensive

Defending of sheer sweet synchronicity! Arguably the finest club side of the last 30 years. Certainly them or the Barcelona side of the past few years. I think one should look towards this years Bayern side in a lesson of defensive masterclasses. Never seen a team switch from two banks of defence to attack and goal so swiftly and sweetly as I have from Bayern. Going to be a beautiful spectacle of footballing class between them and Dortmund in two weeks time. Seeing what the Italians, Spanish and the Germans do makes me utterly miffed and in disbelief at the lack of innovation and skill in the British game. English football is all about money...and men like Roy BLOODY Hodgson.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #106: May 14, 2013 07:07:16 pm
      Sacchi is a true managerial genius.

One of the greats.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #107: May 14, 2013 07:08:13 pm
      Sacchi is a true managerial genius.

One of the greats.

Totally. For me it's him and Rinus Michels.
      Bier
      Reply #108: May 14, 2013 08:53:40 pm
      Before Guardiola became manager at Barcelona he went to Argentina to visit Bielsa to ask for advise, they ended up having an 11 hour long discussion about football. This meeting supposedly enlightened Guardiola, and gave him confidence to become a manager. A month before Frank de Boer became manager at Ajax he went to Barcelona to visit Guardiola to ask for advice. Apparently Guardiola always had confidence in De Boer and wanted him to be his assistant when he started managing at Barcelona. They had a long discussion about football, covering all subjects. Guardiola recognised himself in De Boer, and his search for answers. This meeting enlightened De Boer and gave him the confidence to take on the manager job a month later. I wish I had been able to join one of these meetings. I'm sure some of you football geeks will feel the same.

When I look at managers of that cloth, Guardiola, Klopp. I think De Boer is next in line, he has a bright future. Brendan still has alot of convincing to do on that part, but I really hope he'll succeed.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #109: May 14, 2013 09:02:29 pm
      Before Guardiola became manager at Barcelona he went to Argentina to visit Bielsa to ask for advise, they ended up having an 11 hour long discussion about football. This meeting supposedly enlightened Guardiola, and gave him confidence to become a manager. A month before Frank de Boer became manager at Ajax he went to Barcelona to visit Guardiola to ask for advice. Apparently Guardiola always had confidence in De Boer and wanted him to be his assistant when he started managing at Barcelona. They had a long discussion about football, covering all subjects. Guardiola recognised himself in De Boer, and his search for answers. This meeting enlightened De Boer and gave him the confidence to take on the manager job a month later. I wish I had been able to join one of these meetings. I'm sure some of you football geeks will feel the same.

Absolutely. Love Guardiola and Bielsa.

It's amazing how influential Bielsa has been in world football despite a relative lack of trophies. He's one of the greatest around though, in my eyes.

Don't watch the Dutch league so not sure what to think of De Boer. If he goes by the Dutch tradition of attacking football, I'm sure I'll like him too.

Here's one for all you tactic geeks out there.

Arrigo Sacchi ACMilan defensive

Defending of sheer sweet synchronicity! Arguably the finest club side of the last 30 years. Certainly them or the Barcelona side of the past few years. I think one should look towards this years Bayern side in a lesson of defensive masterclasses. Never seen a team switch from two banks of defence to attack and goal so swiftly and sweetly as I have from Bayern. Going to be a beautiful spectacle of footballing class between them and Dortmund in two weeks time. Seeing what the Italians, Spanish and the Germans do makes me utterly miffed and in disbelief at the lack of innovation and skill in the British game. English football is all about money...and men like Roy BLOODY Hodgson.

Sacchi was a true genius of the game. He once said: "Marco [van Basten] used to ask me why we had to win and also be convincing.

"A few years ago, France Football made their list of the 10 greatest teams in history. My Milan team was right up there. World Soccer did the same: my Milan was fourth, but the first three were national teams - Hungary '54, Brazil '70 and Holland '74. And then us.

"So I took those magazines and told Marco: 'This is why you need to win and you need to be convincing.' I didn't do it because I wanted to write history. I did it because I wanted to give 90 minutes of joy to people. And I wanted that joy to come not from winning, but from being entertained, from witnessing something special.

"I did this out of passion, not because I wanted to manage Milan or win the European Cup. I was just a guy with ideas and I loved to teach. A good manager is both screenwriter and director. The team has to reflect him."

And once, when questioned about the fact he didn't play the game at the professional level before becoming a manager, he said "I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first."

Pure class.
      Bier
      Reply #110: May 14, 2013 09:56:16 pm
      Absolutely. Love Guardiola and Bielsa.

It's amazing how influential Bielsa has been in world football despite a relative lack of trophies. He's one of the greatest around though, in my eyes.

Don't watch the Dutch league so not sure what to think of De Boer. If he goes by the Dutch tradition of attacking football, I'm sure I'll like him too.

Bielsa supposedly inspired Barcelona's pressing game under Guardiola.

You'll see De Boer at a bigger stage in a few years. Maybe Barcelona or as Netherlands national team manager. But he's extending his contract with Ajax to 2017, and has said that he wouldn't mind staying for 10 years, so it might take a while. Really wants to make an impact at Ajax and try turn them around, see how far he can take them with help of all the other people involved. After Michels and Van Gaal he's now only the 3rd Ajax manager to win 3 championship titles in a row. Only Michels has won 4 in total.

As far as his style of football goes, he is of the Dutch attacking football style. Much like Guardiola's Barcelona. Very much about putting early pressure as a team. Very much a team effort that it doesn't matter if you take a player out, or more than 1. They'll always play the same, without much loss of quality. Everybody understands his role and position, so it's very common for players to switch between positions, or even play a whole game in a different position. And they don't really have a topscorer, everybody has been chipping in with goals these past 3 seasons under De Boer.

Ofcourse it's tough at Ajax in their situation. Like if they sell Alderweireld, Eriksen, Vermeer and De Jong this summer. They might just get 1 replacement and fill the rest with own youth. But somehow De Boer always gets it working again, makes the team better during the season. If you look at the last 12 games of the past 3 seasons, he lost only 1 out of those 36 games. So they always end up winning the league, even when they're not seen as favourites.

Can only imagine what he could do at a top team that he could keep together and build on.

If you're interested in De Boer, and what they're trying to do at Ajax now, these two articles summarise it nicely:
      http://afootballreport.com/post/22661498743/frank-de-boers-vision-the-whole-is-greater-than-the
      http://jouracule.blogspot.nl/2013/05/the-evolution-and-continued-success-of.html
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #111: May 14, 2013 10:05:08 pm
      Thanks for the explanation and the link Bier, I'll take a look at it. Sounds like a very interest project is going on at Ajax. What about Frank's brother, Ronald? Is he involved with the club too?
      Bier
      Reply #112: May 14, 2013 10:08:30 pm
      Thanks for the explanation and the link Bier, I'll take a look at it. Sounds like a very interest project is going on at Ajax. What about Frank's brother, Ronald? Is he involved with the club too?
      I editted my post and added a 2nd link too, which is a more extensive article, but just as good in my opinion. Although both articles overlap each other a bit.

Ronald is involved with the club too, but he's never going to be a great manager. He was assistant at a youth team but I think he's more involved in PR matters now. Isn't as obsessed with the game as his brother Frank I think. Has a different personality, Frank was always a leader type.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #113: May 14, 2013 11:02:38 pm
      Arguably the finest club side of the last 30 years.

After the Liverpool sides of 86-90.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #114: May 14, 2013 11:35:49 pm

Wow. Imagine that Liverpool side against Sacchi's Milan! Pure fantasy football but gut wrenchingly was not meant to be.

Thanks bier for the brilliant info on De Boer. Just one of many exciting new and young managers making headlines on the continent. With Bergkamp alongside him could also be a future Arsenal manager. He's carved a great career for himself. I only caught the tail end of his playing career when he was playing for Rangers alongside his twin Ronald at Rangers 10 years back as I was too young to remember him in his prime so it's great to see him doing so well in management especially at a club as mesmerising as Ajax.

And diego - read the jocket quote from Sacchi not that long back. Thought it was brilliant! A true genius. Pretty much re invented the game in Italy you could say.

Quick Reply