Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Tactics geeks of the world unite...

Read 152309 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,536 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Tactics geeks of the world unite...
      Reply #989: Jul 26, 2023 01:14:18 pm
      My take as well, has looked OK and not out of place within the squad. Tbh I'm more worried about Matip than I am Bradley.

Only 1 more season from matip, Dont see him playing much league games.

Problem is after matip, its gomez and philips and maybe u21 guys.

Defo need another top CB.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #990: Jul 26, 2023 01:16:15 pm

Possibly, but as you say I think that'll be next season when we offload Matip.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,536 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #991: Jul 26, 2023 02:41:16 pm

Hope not. but yea very possible.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #992: Jul 26, 2023 03:51:06 pm

Harry’s available   :f_whistle:   :lmao: :lmao:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,536 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #993: Jul 26, 2023 04:00:54 pm

Harry’s available   :f_whistle:   :lmao: :lmao:

:lmao:

Would be funny if he came to us and played out his skin tho.  :lmao:
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      Reply #994: Jul 26, 2023 07:39:42 pm
      :lmao:

Would be funny if he came to us and played out his skin tho.  :lmao:

There’s a player in there somewhere, moving away from the them scumsters is the best thing for him, talk of West Ham taking a interest, if so it’s a ideal move & club size for him, he was fine at Leicester but obviously the step up proved he was well out of his comfort zone,
      I’m stopping short of sticking the boot In properly (Keith,take note) after having watched Dele’s painful interview, Maguire has obviously been suffering and no one knows exactly what’s gone on in his head, his confidence is shot to buggery but what are the true reasons why ?

We all love to take the piss, and we still will for sure, but going over the top is probably a step too far, so I’m making a conscious effort to curtail my piss taking, with the exception of that Dipshit Singleton, 🤪🤪

I wish heehaw Maguire all the best in his next venture, Eeeeeeeeyorrrrr !!!!!

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      Reply #995: Aug 03, 2023 06:58:47 am

Same, it’s definitely his last season with us, just hope he can stay injury free, Gomez obviously isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but he is good cover and versatile, again if he stays fit and healthy we should be ok defensively, but in saying that we really should be bringing in another CB,

No need yet for a rwb, we have young Conor Bradley to ease in and nurture, Trent will remain our default rwb, so we’ll still have a familiar back 4, (4-3-3) however, when Trent moves up we become a 3-5-2, Robbo left, Virgil central, Konate right, giving us plentiful options in midfield, when Lavia comes in he’ll be DM with Trent, Szlobosllai, Diaz, Macca and Mo & Nunez up top, with ample backup from Jones, Bacjetic, Harvey, Gakpo, Jota, and we still have Thiago to call upon, we might even see Doak or/and Clarke feature,

So plenty to get excited about….No ?? Well I am for f***in sure….there’s enough in there to make us a major threat, and threaten we will, could we be reverting back to Rock n Roll football with a extra fizz, you score two we score four kinda deal??

Nothing would surprise me if Jürgen went Kamikaze??

YNWA

gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 833 posts | 298 
      Reply #996: Aug 03, 2023 07:40:37 am
      My take as well, has looked OK and not out of place within the squad. Tbh I'm more worried about Matip than I am Bradley.

Definitely agree with this. A CB is a much bigger priority for me than another RB. Matip has been a good player for us, especially as he cost no transfer fee but his best days are behind him. Gomez is ok and Philips is to slow to play a high line against good PL teams.
      Maybe Quansah can be an option in the future but he's not a solution for this season (I've not watched a lot of pre season and would be happy for other people to tell me I'm wrong).
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #997: Aug 03, 2023 11:26:52 am
      As I said in another thread Jürgen, Linders and the coaching team seem to have settled on this system where Trent starts at RB nominally then played in CM beside another CM.

It's not perfect from what I can see and leaves us very open to counter attack and quick through balls.

Konate is a very capable player to play that role when Trent vacates but I think there is an issue in the other side where Robertson is still kind of being asked to play the same role, or similar, to what he has bee doing which makes the defense look disjointed.

For me a LCB who can drift wide the way Konate does is needed or sit right to Virgil when needed is probably an even bigger addition to this system than a true DM.

Robertson's instinct to play LB as an attacking LB is very hard to coach out and at times during pre season and last season you could see just 2 defenders actually ok their own with huge space to fill.

Robertson

Jones      Trent

Virgil                          Konate

It looks like this quite a lot of the time which is far too open.

You add a CB who can play like Konate and allow one of the two further midfield players to take that wider position that Robertson takes when possible and it's a much tighter version of the same system.

« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2023 01:30:24 pm by srslfc »
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,551 posts | 726 
      Reply #998: Aug 04, 2023 12:48:49 am
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #999: Aug 13, 2023 08:18:12 pm
      As I said in another thread Jürgen, Linders and the coaching team seem to have settled on this system where Trent starts at RB nominally then played in CM beside another CM.

It's not perfect from what I can see and leaves us very open to counter attack and quick through balls.

Konate is a very capable player to play that role when Trent vacates but I think there is an issue in the other side where Robertson is still kind of being asked to play the same role, or similar, to what he has bee doing which makes the defense look disjointed.

For me a LCB who can drift wide the way Konate does is needed or sit right to Virgil when needed is probably an even bigger addition to this system than a true DM.

Robertson's instinct to play LB as an attacking LB is very hard to coach out and at times during pre season and last season you could see just 2 defenders actually ok their own with huge space to fill.

Robertson

Jones      Trent

Virgil                          Konate

It looks like this quite a lot of the time which is far too open.

You add a CB who can play like Konate and allow one of the two further midfield players to take that wider position that Robertson takes when possible and it's a much tighter version of the same system.

Today hadn't really changed my mind that out biggest issue could possible be at left side of defense.

Konate and to a lesser extent Virgil seem to know their roles once Trent steps into midfield but the left side is still a player playing as an orthodox full back that leaves us wide open.

Its partly the player isn't suited to the role and for me were not being coached properly to play this system to its full potential.

A top class DM will help but still leaves issues behind.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1000: Aug 13, 2023 09:10:58 pm
      Today hadn't really changed my mind that out biggest issue could possible be at left side of defense.

Konate and to a lesser extent Virgil seem to know their roles once Trent steps into midfield but the left side is still a player playing as an orthodox full back that leaves us wide open.

Its partly the player isn't suited to the role and for me were not being coached properly to play this system to its full potential.

A top class DM will help but still leaves issues behind.

Robertson looks completely unsure of his role in this new way of playing. He’s at his best rampaging up and down the left touchline, getting forward whenever he can and pressing the ball when we’re not in possession. Don’t ask him to play in field or be part of a three. He’s very one footed therefore he is much more with chalk on his boots.

As for Trent tucking in on the other side. It certainly worked well back end of the last season but with this personnel group I would have preferred him to play as an orthodox full back. Also with Mac and Szobo we are instantly more creative in the centre of the park. I’m not certain we need him in the midfield given the new signings offer more as an attacking\creative perspective. Certainly have him drift inside at times but I’m not sure we need him making tackles on the opposite side of the pitch as he did today. That diag left or right is there all day for the opposition. It’s a shame the Caicedo deal won’t happen because he would have provided the cover we need from midfield when Trent drifts and we get countered with him out of position.
      « Last Edit: Aug 13, 2023 09:19:05 pm by Scottbot »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1001: Aug 13, 2023 09:27:15 pm
      I think this idea of Trent into midfield is having such a negative effect on so many players is it worth it for the sake of one player.

Robbo can’t play LCB plus Matip and Gomez look even worse than they have been.

Even with the best CDM in the world it’s so easy for the opposition to hoof a ball into the area vacated by Trent and any pacy player will cause issues.

Go back to 433 and we might see a glimpse of the full back who has had a record number of assists in the EPL.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,551 posts | 726 
      Reply #1002: Aug 14, 2023 02:06:24 pm
      I think this idea of Trent into midfield is having such a negative effect on so many players is it worth it for the sake of one player.

Even with the best CDM in the world it’s so easy for the opposition to hoof a ball into the area vacated by Trent and any pacy player will cause issues.

Go back to 433 and we might see a glimpse of the full back who has had a record number of assists in the EPL.

I agree, its not worth it.

Or just get a new RB and play Trent in Midfield. I think we're missing out on the quality crosses from Robbo and Trent out wide.

Why not play to our strength?
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1003: Aug 15, 2023 05:53:05 pm

Don’t forget it worked very well last season. We’ve got literally one game as a sample this season and of course we have no defensively minded middies. I’d be more inclined to judge it when we’ve got a new 6 in place.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,551 posts | 726 
      Reply #1004: Aug 15, 2023 08:07:31 pm
      Don’t forget it worked very well last season.

I think the success of it is slightly overstated. I guess it's true we changed tactics and got on a good run. But we were still incredibly vulnerable on the counter and down Trent's side.

Personally i still think it has too many cons over pros.

We lose the wide threat of both Robbo and Trent, and Salah has to come too deep

Yes trent has good passing range and can be lethal from there. But is it worth it??

Maybe we use it sparringly?

I would love us to try a 3-4-2-1 like Chelsea used. We have the players for it and Robbo / Trent would cause so much havoc
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1005: Aug 15, 2023 08:27:13 pm
      Don’t forget it worked very well last season. We’ve got literally one game as a sample this season and of course we have no defensively minded middies. I’d be more inclined to judge it when we’ve got a new 6 in place.

Did it?

We actually conceded more goals when we went to the inverted hybrid system to compensate for the grand dads in midfield.
      And the fact we had played all most of our difficult games towards the end of the season not sure of your assessment of worked well.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #1006: Aug 15, 2023 08:36:23 pm
      Did it?

We actually conceded more goals when we went to the inverted hybrid system to compensate for the grand dads in midfield.
      And the fact we had played all most of our difficult games towards the end of the season not sure of your assessment of worked well.
      Weren’t we unbeaten for the last 12 or 13 games of the season

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1007: Aug 15, 2023 08:44:46 pm
      Weren’t we unbeaten for the last 12 or 13 games of the season

Hanging on by the skin of your teeth is not a great indicator of the success of a style of play esp against teams in the lower half.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,997 posts | 3424 
      Reply #1008: Aug 15, 2023 08:49:23 pm
      Hanging on by the skin of your teeth is not a great indicator of the success of a style of play esp against teams in the lower half.

The same Lower half teams that before the switch we dropped 20 points against ?
      Prime
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts | 12 
      Reply #1009: Aug 15, 2023 09:14:09 pm
      Why Liverpool Don’t Need To Acquire a Defensive Midfielder:

https://archive.is/Alosk 

A good read.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #1010: Aug 15, 2023 10:51:20 pm

A good read.

Yes, a good read. But has Klopp read it ?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #1011: Aug 16, 2023 08:15:15 am

A good read.

That is a very good read to be fair and really does sum up our main issues in terms of recruitment as well.

Quick Reply