Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

August 2012 - Transfer deadline day gossip

Read 77464 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Transfer deadline day gossip
      Reply #1426: Sep 01, 2012 10:41:35 am
       Whether it's Carroll or Dempsey is irrelevent here. This is not about anyones opinion of players, it's about the ownership backing the manager or not. It's about the people that hold the purse strings not accepting that you cannot go into a new season with only two recognised strikers.

I don't care what anyone thinks, we need new owners.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #1427: Sep 01, 2012 10:48:55 am
      I said on here whoever we replace carroll with ,andy will outscore them.. seeing as we havent even F***ing replaced when andy scores one goal hes outscored his replacement

We need to go out of Europa and League Cup quick to have any chance to compete in the league for top 6 finish

I dont believe from what brendan has said over the last few days that he ever thought we would get no one in

It feels like we are already at rafa -h&g stage with the sabotage within the club.

H+G sell to buy is no different than NESV live within our means.. They both mean no actual investment in the club
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #1428: Sep 01, 2012 10:51:35 am
      Whether it's Carroll or Dempsey is irrelevent here. This is not about anyones opinion of players, it's about the ownership backing the manager or not. It's about the people that hold the purse strings not accepting that you cannot go into a new season with only two recognised strikers.

I don't care what anyone thinks, we need new owners.

Agree completely BIgMick and personally dont even count Borini as a recognised striker with 0 PL goals to his name at 21.

These are crazy times and the owners have had 2 years and all ive seen are cuts, but to what end???

Are we cutting to free up money for better players? Because thats the only reason we should be slashing wage bills..

We are cutting to make this a more attractive business asset, it has nothing to do with football
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1429: Sep 01, 2012 10:57:27 am
      No I was thinking about the bigger picture, If the business was bad for LFC, Id rather we didnt do it..Its nothing to do with Carroll, I dont really understand your response though, we panic bought Carroll with money from Torres, and hes not worked out, so how will we miss him??? only 4 goals for £35m

Again, my friend, this ain't about Carroll or whether we will miss him but about Brendan not being supported, in the transfer market when he was looking a replacement. Not really too hard to understand, I would have thought.  :-\

Maybe you can look at your "bigger picture" another way (if it helps); under FSG we have went from Torres to Carroll to Morgan; all pretty seamlessly. If you consider that good 'business'; fair enough. If you don't; then why are you harping on about hypocrisy?

Hypocrisy doesn't come into it mate. Those who were content in Carroll's departure may have rightly expected (just like Brendan, it would seem) that, in return, we would have signed one (maybe two) replacements. Replacements who could have brought more to the team than Carroll did. Is that really that difficult a concept to grasp? :-\
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #1430: Sep 01, 2012 11:07:23 am
      I actually don't give a sh*t if Fulham quoted us a higher price for Dempsey as he is their player and can ask what they want.

It would appear that we pissed them off with this transfer and I'm more pissed off with the people who have dealt with it on our end and FSG for being miserable c**nts who wouldn't stump up what is,  let's face it, a pretty miserly sum to get a quality player the manager not only wanted but needed after letting one of our few senior forwards leave the previous day.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #1431: Sep 01, 2012 11:24:55 am
      Wouldn't surprise me if Fulham wanted more money off us for Dempsey. It makes sense actually, Clint pissed them off and so did we, so to piss us and Clint off, they put a spanner in the works of the deal that he and us wanted.

I think we've all said we'd take Dempsey at a reasonable price, but offering 3 million for a premier league sides best player who scored 17 goals last season is a complete joke.

Wasn't sure whether or not to believe that we offered Hendo plus cash (what I now presume was 2M max), but now it makes perfect sense - it just outlines how desperate the owners were to not spend. Basically, "you can go for Dempsey, but you'll have to sell a player to do so - a player you who cost us 16M last year." 

Can't believe we have a weaker attack now than we did 48 hours ago.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #1432: Sep 01, 2012 11:29:55 am
      Again, my friend, this ain't about Carroll or whether we will miss him but about Brendan not being supported, in the transfer market when he was looking a replacement.....

....Those who were content in Carroll's departure may have rightly expected (just like Brendan, it would seem) that, in return, we would have signed one (maybe two) replacements. Replacements who could have brought more to the team than Carroll did. Is that really that difficult a concept to grasp? :-\

Hard to find a logic based argument with above BBB - thiugh im sure we'll see some that are emotive. The bald fact is we are no stronger (i believe weaker) in the striking department than we were last season.

We desperately needed goals then and we've lost Dirky, Bellers and the big man as first team picks up top - only replaced by Borini and Assaidi. They may come very good but right now it's impossible to argue that we've a gap of 144 English Premiership goals we don't look like filling.

I'm truly vexed right now.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1433: Sep 01, 2012 11:56:51 am
      I have yet to see or hear a single football pundit not be astonished at the transfer policy of LFC in this window.Not die hard fans or anti FSG.
      They cannot understand how you can let a player go on loan (who we had said no chance of a loan move) before securing the services of another centre forward.
      Is this still Liverpool FC?.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #1434: Sep 01, 2012 12:00:45 pm
      People really are clutching at straws and will be happy to believe what they want if it helps justify their misplaced faith in our owners. This is a prime example of the ridiculous extent some will go to.

Woah!  Don't put me in that bracket please mouse.  I am definitely NOT a fan of FSG.

I posted it as I thought it was more Fulham having a go at Liverpool for the alleged tapping up of Dempsey.
      PG LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      • JFT96
      Reply #1435: Sep 01, 2012 12:08:15 pm
      Again, my friend, this ain't about Carroll or whether we will miss him but about Brendan not being supported, in the transfer market when he was looking a replacement. Not really too hard to understand, I would have thought.  :-\

Maybe you can look at your "bigger picture" another way (if it helps); under FSG we have went from Torres to Carroll to Morgan; all pretty seamlessly. If you consider that good 'business'; fair enough. If you don't; then why are you harping on about hypocrisy?

Hypocrisy doesn't come into it mate. Those who were content in Carroll's departure may have rightly expected (just like Brendan, it would seem) that, in return, we would have signed one (maybe two) replacements. Replacements who could have brought more to the team than Carroll did. Is that really that difficult a concept to grasp? :-\

Meaning considering our position, Id rather give things time and not keep firefighting, go back to the way things used to be done when we dominated.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1436: Sep 01, 2012 01:30:19 pm
      Woah!  Don't put me in that bracket please mouse.  I am definitely NOT a fan of FSG.

I wasn't and I didn't think you were. Sorry if it came across that that way.

Meaning considering our position, Id rather give things time and not keep firefighting, go back to the way things used to be done when we dominated.
      Nah mate... you've lost me. Best we stop this conversation and leave it at that. Good luck.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1437: Sep 01, 2012 01:48:41 pm

Nah mate... you've lost me. Best we stop this conversation and leave it at that. Good luck.

Mate I'm not getting where the hypocrisy argument is coming from...

The situation as I read it isn't anything to do with Andrew Carroll per se... Whether you rated the lad or not has nothing to do with it does it?

The point is before Thursday we had a senior striker available to the manager right? now we don't right?

Now our manager it seems to me to expect a replacement to come in Friday? None came in yes?

So now our manager on Sunday if he needs to make a change through injury or tactical? Turns to the staff and instructs them to tell Andy Clint to warm up...

The point isn't about the particular player it's about us now having no options at all...

The squad is weaker in what I can presume must be broken promises miscommunication...

Am I wrong here mate? Is that hypocrisy?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1438: Sep 01, 2012 02:45:26 pm
      Mate I'm not getting where the hypocrisy argument is coming from...

I don't think you meant to quote me P_d.  ;D
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1439: Sep 01, 2012 03:01:36 pm
      I don't think you meant to quote me P_d.  ;D

I was asking your opinion mate...

I'm not sure if I am reading it wrong.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1440: Sep 01, 2012 03:52:42 pm
      I was asking your opinion mate...

I'm not sure if I am reading it wrong.

I wrote this on the subject earlier mate...

Hypocrisy doesn't come into it mate. Those who were content in Carroll's departure may have rightly expected (just like Brendan, it would seem) that, in return, we would have signed one (maybe two) replacements. Replacements who could have brought more to the team than Carroll did. Is that really that difficult a concept to grasp?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1441: Sep 01, 2012 03:59:27 pm
      I wrote this on the subject earlier mate...

As I thought

So the one accusing people of hypocrisy is in fact just clueless.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1442: Sep 01, 2012 04:02:16 pm
      So the one accusing people of hypocrisy is in fact just clueless.

Yip.  ;D
      PG LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      • JFT96
      Reply #1443: Sep 01, 2012 04:54:51 pm

Not at all, just my opinion, I agree that we can be aggrieved at not filling Andy's shoes, but a lot were moaning about him being deadwood one day only to bemoan him going the next  ;D
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1444: Sep 01, 2012 04:57:51 pm
      Not at all, just my opinion, I agree that we can be aggrieved at not filling Andy's shoes, but a lot were moaning about him being deadwood one day only to bemoan him going the next  ;D

No alot were moaning that we have weakened the squad...

It could have been Spearing for example..

Had we let Jay go but not already brought in Allen and Sahin and then Lucas is out for three months then it's poor to let Jay go.. As we have replaced and improved it doesn't matter as much.

To let Carroll go and not replace is daft.. It's not a reflection on how much you rate him.

It's not double standards it's being able to have an open opinion to changing situations.

No one said, we should have kept him he is great the day after saying he wasn't... They said why have we allowed him to go without replacing.
      PG LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      • JFT96
      Reply #1445: Sep 01, 2012 05:02:24 pm
      No alot were moaning that we have weakened the squad...

It could have been Spearing for example..

Had we let Jay go but not already brought in Allen and Sahin and then Lucas is out for three months then it's poor to let Jay go.. As we have replaced and improved it doesn't matter as much.

To let Carroll go and not replace is daft.. It's not a reflection on how much you rate him.

It's not double standards it's being able to have an open opinion to changing situations.

I agree, but a lot of plastic fans were calling him deadwood one day then needed the next, in the world of Facebook and Twitter, not on here, thats what I find hypocritical...I cant believe we've been left short up front much the same as you guys :(
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1446: Sep 01, 2012 05:32:58 pm
      You find it funny?..why? do you revel in mocking our team?.......... :roll:

Chill out. I'm not mocking the team. I'd had a drink and found it light hearted amongst the doom and gloom of deadline day.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #1447: Sep 01, 2012 05:36:21 pm
      I'll return that respect mate but with that in mind; I have to say that, before you posted the above, I could have guessed that you were (initially) a Redsox fan. The reason? Your unremitting defence of the owners; even against 'fair comment'. To be fair, you aren't alone in this respect. Please don't get me wrong; your loyalty to FSG is admirable but it may be for the wrong reasons and is definitely misplaced.

Something all fans should know (if they don't already): the owners are not, never were and never will be part of the trinity; Shankly's 'Holy Trinity'. Players; Manager and fans.

Any criticism of the owners is not mutiny; it's not disrespectful; it's not disloyal and it's, sure as sh*t, not because they are from the United States.

Surely we are all in this because of our love of Liverpool Football Club (emphasis on "Football") and not because we admire the way businessmen do business? Anything which impacts on the ability of Liverpool F.C. to win should be of concern to any football fan.

I sat on here, last night, watching the excuses unfold; some sublime, some ridiculous but (irrespective of the excuses) the fact remains: we offered a derisory £3m for a player who Brendan wanted, who we needed and who we didn't get. To make matters worse he went to a club who also stepped in to take Brendan's first target because we wouldn't or couldn't afford his wages. Denying that which has happened doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

John Henry & Co are big enough and ugly enough to take criticism, where it's due, and don't need 'our' pathetic attempts at squaring the circle. We can bust the myths, surrounding FSG, in another thread so let's leave it there for now; moving on...

Would we have been stronger (as a football team) had we signed Dempsey and Sigurdsson? Yes. Are we stronger (as a football team) now than we were, before trading started? Maybe. Are we stronger and more efficient (as a business) than we were, before trading started? Definitely. Think about it.  ;)

I actually believe Brendan will bust a gut to make this team work and win; the optimist in me sees it happen this season but... if and when he does it will be in spite of the owners not because of them.

I appreciate the break down but it's incorrect on a few parts.

I want to make this clear to everyone anyway, I am not a FANBOY of FSG. I was a Red Sox fan way before FSG took over and same as being a Liverpool fan way before H&G took over.

I really don't have a reason to stand by them except for the fact I can step away from the last day of the window and look at what they are trying to do for our club and seeing they've invested loads of money we "wasted" similar to what the Red Sox did in the previous offseason and we are now blaming them for not throwing out more money (regardless if it was only 2 million more or whatever)

It's just two different outlooks, because I'm AMERICAN I know that they aren't H&G version 2 and you don't have to be a brainiac to be able to tell that. All of H&G teams and investments folded at the same time because he nor gillette ever had any wealth they just were shrewd business men who could move around debt, which eventually caught up with them. (The Glazer's day will come I guarantee it)

To be honest I will not be associated with putting the owners first and placing the club second. I am not going to be put into that category here on the forum as I joined way before FSG or H&G were even interested. It's pretty dumb imo to start saying #Yanksout and all that when none of us know exactly what went down yesterday. Now its being deemed a serious lack of communication, which is not at all FSG saying tough luck Brendan.

I understand what you mean when you say that we should all be upset when the owners hinders our chance of winning by not spending money, but come on? You can't be reasonable if your a football fan? We aren't Man City and we sure as hell aren't PSG. Business is business your right and successful owners run the club as a business and not a cash cow like you have with teams spending what they don't earn. If I am not a loyal fan of LFC because I want to place trust in owners who are trying very hard to get us back to where we were then I'm sorry, but all of this started because of the transfer day deadline crap and until then had FSG really put a foot wrong? Besides the lack of communication on the stadium front, the sacking of Kenny was the only controversial thing the owners have done and its still my opinion that it was the correct one at the correct time.

I am not pointing any fingers but the hypocrisy of some using articles from the media saying Rodgers is being undermined and is upset with the owners and all that are no better than regular fake transfer stories with a lack of quotes and only journalists and twitter opinions being passed along as fact. You can't have it both ways.
      PG LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      • JFT96
      Reply #1448: Sep 01, 2012 05:37:47 pm
      Chill out. I'm not mocking the team. I'd had a drink and found it light hearted amongst the doom and gloom of deadline day.

No problem, so had I to be honest ;D YNWA :)

Quick Reply