Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

August 2012 - Transfer deadline day gossip

Read 78250 times
      RedCanuck
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Re: Transfer deadline day gossip
      Reply #1403: Sep 01, 2012 02:41:51 am
      Until that is confirmed, or Rodgers shows any inkling of being duped, I'm not going to throw our owners under the bus because they didn't spend 2m more on a non striker midfielder, who most people didn't even want to begin with. It could be a simple as Rodgers not wanting to spend unreasonable amounts of money and wants to spend in January. It's just funny to me how people are already saying this season is a waste and we won't make top four and we haven't even played 3 games yet! If this whole stupid Dempsey transfer deal is what turns people against FSG.......then so be it.

Well you tell me where the goals are going to come from if Suarez gets injured or suspended???  Look at the team have you ever seen LFC with such a thin front line??  As far as most people not wanting Dempsey, do you base that on this forum?  He woulda been a great signing at that price!  Fact is as much as none of us want to face it FSG is getting a reputation amongst players and signings of real top quality are going to be scared of by the reluctance to build a strong squad.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #1404: Sep 01, 2012 03:29:00 am
      Well you tell me where the goals are going to come from if Suarez gets injured or suspended???  Look at the team have you ever seen LFC with such a thin front line??  As far as most people not wanting Dempsey, do you base that on this forum?  He woulda been a great signing at that price!  Fact is as much as none of us want to face it FSG is getting a reputation amongst players and signings of real top quality are going to be scared of by the reluctance to build a strong squad.

Most people didn't want Dempsey at first, then slowly warmed up to the idea as the link became stronger. You have to ask yourself whenever you hear a player is linked with us, more often times than not your first reaction is probably the correct assessment. Dempsey for 7 million plus whatever he makes in weekly wages (haven't seen it yet) for a 29 year old attacking midfielder that had a great year (Imo won't do it again) in a Fulham side that depended on him to score goals isn't the worst miss in the world. Sure he could score 10 goals for us this year, but I would want to spend 7 million plus on a striker (a position we need) who could do 15+ with a resale value later on. The mere fact it seemed we were only looking at Sturridge and Dempsey is the real crime of the last day of the window (assuming that was it). That has nothing to do with the owners.

We had bad luck last season, everyone knows that, but I won't expect anything less than a win each game. We have players that need to step up in the squad, some more than others. I don't know where the goals will come from, but that's not my job it's Rodgers and I have a feeling he will figure it out.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1405: Sep 01, 2012 03:34:13 am
      The owners sign the checks mate. Bren wants a player they sign the player. It was £5M up front. Liverpool should never be struggling to find an extra £2M to sign a player the manager wants, especially when he was blatantly given assurances that if he got rid of players off the wage bill he could sign players. Under no circumstance should we have been left in the position we are in tonight, and that is not the fault of the manager, who does not deal with the negotiations.

The whole thing stinks of a lack of communication, and if they bothered to pop over once in a while it may well not have happened.
      RedCanuck
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #1406: Sep 01, 2012 03:44:38 am
      Most people didn't want Dempsey at first, then slowly warmed up to the idea as the link became stronger. You have to ask yourself whenever you hear a player is linked with us, more often times than not your first reaction is probably the correct assessment. Dempsey for 7 million plus whatever he makes in weekly wages (haven't seen it yet) for a 29 year old attacking midfielder that had a great year (Imo won't do it again) in a Fulham side that depended on him to score goals isn't the worst miss in the world. Sure he could score 10 goals for us this year, but I would want to spend 7 million plus on a striker (a position we need) who could do 15+ with a resale value later on. The mere fact it seemed we were only looking at Sturridge and Dempsey is the real crime of the last day of the window (assuming that was it). That has nothing to do with the owners.

We had bad luck last season, everyone knows that, but I won't expect anything less than a win each game. We have players that need to step up in the squad, some more than others. I don't know where the goals will come from, but that's not my job it's Rodgers and I have a feeling he will figure it out.

It's not bad luck it's poor finishing!  As far as Dempsey goes, I look at it differently.  I look at him being able to score 20 goals against premier sides with a poor fulham team!  That's speaks volumes about his ability,  now add quality around him and it could have been a great signing, and 29 isn't too old gimme a break! He's got a few good years left, and he's not injury prone either!  5 million for Dempsey is peanuts when you look at what we wasted last year!! So let me ask you, would you rather pay 5 million for Charlie Adam or Clint?  That being said we paid 10 for Charlie!!  Piss poor and like field of anny rd say FSG sign the cheques! Not having a go just a little different view
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #1407: Sep 01, 2012 03:58:23 am
        It's not bad luck it's poor finishing!  As far as Dempsey goes, I look at it differently.  I look at him being able to score 20 goals against premier sides with a poor fulham team!  That's speaks volumes about his ability,  now add quality around him and it could have been a great signing, and 29 isn't too old gimme a break! He's got a few good years left, and he's not injury prone either!  5 million for Dempsey is peanuts when you look at what we wasted last year!! So let me ask you, would you rather pay 5 million for Charlie Adam or Clint?  That being said we paid 10 for Charlie!!  Piss poor and like field of anny rd say FSG sign the cheques! Not having a go just a little different view

Yeah I was just going to say I respect both your guys opinion, but I just feel that the one thing we dont need right now is a mutiny between fans and owners. FSG are not Hicks and Gillette. I'm not gonna lie, I was a Red Sox fan first before Liverpool fc (Importance has definitely flipped since) and when FSG bought the team I had my reservations but they did a really good job in a Boston market that is about as inpatient as Liverpool supporters are. They aren't here to destroy us to make a profit. I have a feeling that fans feel because they are American that they are H&G version 2. We get rid of FSG like H&G, a good owner isn't going to buy us, but someone looking to make a quick buck will I guarantee it. Having a fan base who can force owners out if results don't show isn't the supporters we should be. They have had 4 windows and it's seem very hot and cold, but they are learning considering who we have brought in this year opposed to last year and you can say we are moving in the right direction in that sense. As much I hate to say this and we all hate to say this, but patience is a virtue.

I also see people saying they wouldn't blame Rodgers for resigning....well I for one remember Rodgers saying, "I will do whatever it takes to make Liverpool great again." Feel like he cares more about the club than Dempsey's deal not going through.....but wait who brought that man to LFC in the first place?

We can only do one thing now, and that is support the team together and I know we all will, but for goodness sake let's not get the internet terrorists out again.
      RedCanuck
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #1408: Sep 01, 2012 04:14:01 am
      Yeah I was just going to say I respect both your guys opinion, but I just feel that the one thing we dont need right now is a mutiny between fans and owners. FSG are not Hicks and Gillette. I'm not gonna lie, I was a Red Sox fan first before Liverpool fc (Importance has definitely flipped since) and when FSG bought the team I had my reservations but they did a really good job in a Boston market that is about as inpatient as Liverpool supporters are. They aren't here to destroy us to make a profit. I have a feeling that fans feel because they are American that they are H&G version 2. We get rid of FSG like H&G, a good owner isn't going to buy us, but someone looking to make a quick buck will I guarantee it. Having a fan base who can force owners out if results don't show isn't the supporters we should be. They have had 3 windows and it's seem very hot and cold, but they are learning considering who we have brought in this year opposed to last year and you can say we are moving in the right direction in that sense. As much I hate to say this and we all hate to say this, but patience is a virtue.

I also see people saying they wouldn't blame Rodgers for resigning....well I for one remember Rodgers saying, "I will do whatever it takes to make Liverpool great again." Feel like he cares more about the club than Dempsey's deal not going through.....but wait who brought that man to LFC in the first place?

We can only do one thing now, and that is support the team together and I know we all will, but for goodness sake let's not get the internet terrorists out again.

I agree with you on getting behind the team.  The only thing I disagree with is the fact that FSG knew what they were getting into going through the whole court process.  Martin Broughton said they understood what was needed and the stadium issue and getting the team up where it belongs. I'll grant you it's a learning curve for them BUT, LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB is not a club you cut your teeth into the world of football with.  IF they didn't know what they were getting into then I have to question their abilities to make sound decisions.  Today was a perfect day for them to signal their support for Brendan and their plan.  What did they do?  Nothing, they've trimmed around 23 million off the annual wage bill!  Why would you do that?  In my eye's they've signed a few lucrative deals like the Warrior deal etc.  This all raises revenue generation however they stated that money for players will come from player sales, well 8 have gone out and 2 have come in.  I don't wanna start it but I think the stadium  issue has them sh*t scared and they have now trimmed the fat making us more desirable for a quick sale!  I hope Im wrong but after today that's my gut feeling. 

Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #1409: Sep 01, 2012 04:30:19 am
      I agree with you on getting behind the team.  The only thing I disagree with is the fact that FSG knew what they were getting into going through the whole court process.  Martin Broughton said they understood what was needed and the stadium issue and getting the team up where it belongs. I'll grant you it's a learning curve for them BUT, LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB is not a club you cut your teeth into the world of football with.  IF they didn't know what they were getting into then I have to question their abilities to make sound decisions.  Today was a perfect day for them to signal their support for Brendan and their plan.  What did they do?  Nothing, they've trimmed around 23 million off the annual wage bill!  Why would you do that?  In my eye's they've signed a few lucrative deals like the Warrior deal etc.  This all raises revenue generation however they stated that money for players will come from player sales, well 8 have gone out and 2 have come in.  I don't wanna start it but I think the stadium  issue has them sh*t scared and they have now trimmed the fat making us more desirable for a quick sale!  I hope Im wrong but after today that's my gut feeling. 

It's certainly a worry, but they just did the same thing to the Red Sox. Unless they want to wash their hands completely of sports I don't think they are selling. I agree it was perfect day for them to splash the cash, but just because they didn't doesn't mean they never will again. You are spot on with not having a game plan from the beginning, to be honest it downright infuriates me. The stadium is a big issue, but it is an issue that needs to be the right decision and honestly it's a situation that could allow us to become the best club in the world with the money we will be able to spend thanks to the revenue.....or we could be hand tied for years and years and hope that one day the stadium will be paid off and we will be able to spend what we earn again. FSG aren't the type of people to give up, but then again I don't know any of them personally I am just going by what I know from their previous investments.
      RedCanuck
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #1410: Sep 01, 2012 05:00:33 am
      It's certainly a worry, but they just did the same thing to the Red Sox. Unless they want to wash their hands completely of sports I don't think they are selling. I agree it was perfect day for them to splash the cash, but just because they didn't doesn't mean they never will again. You are spot on with not having a game plan from the beginning, to be honest it downright infuriates me. The stadium is a big issue, but it is an issue that needs to be the right decision and honestly it's a situation that could allow us to become the best club in the world with the money we will be able to spend thanks to the revenue.....or we could be hand tied for years and years and hope that one day the stadium will be paid off and we will be able to spend what we earn again. FSG aren't the type of people to give up, but then again I don't know any of them personally I am just going by what I know from their previous investments.

Funny you bring up the Red Sox, I'm suprised no one has brought it up yet considering they just traded 220 million  worth of players to the Dodgers with nothing but cash in return!  I find it very worrying that they have just made 220 million in player sales in baseball and depleted that squad of it's real talent.  I see very similar trends with what they do.  They won a world series, then the next season they fire the manager who got them there and was loved by everyone.  Brings to light the treatment of Kenny, granted between himself and Comolli they pissed away a huge sum of cash on crap for the most part.  They didn't support the club during the race row in fact they did absolutely nothing!  Now Brendan is told in order to purchase players he must sell first.  He did exactly that and they've driven a knife right in his back publicly.  I don't like what I'm seeing with anything they are doing.  They sold their interest in the New York times, something tells me FSG is getting ready to do some business ( selling out).  You don't see Linda sending messages on twitter about LFC anymore and in fact she's very quiet on the redsox as well.  Reading between the lines I'm not liking what I smell
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2012 05:40:42 am by RedCanuck »
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #1411: Sep 01, 2012 05:21:58 am
      ^I'm smelling something iffy too.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #1412: Sep 01, 2012 05:52:33 am
        Funny you bring up the Red Sox, I'm suprised no one has brought it up yet considering they just traded 220 million  worth of players to the Dodgers with nothing but cash in return!  I find it very worrying that they have just made 220 million in player sales in baseball and depleted that squad of it's real talent.  I see very similar trends with what they do.  They won a world series, then the next season they fire the manager who got them there and was loved by everyone.  Brings to light the treatment of Kenny, granted between himself and Comolli they pissed away a huge sum of cash on crap for the most part.  They didn't support the club during the race row in fact they did absolutely nothing!  Now Brendan is told in order to purchase players he must sell first.  He did exactly that and they've driven a knife right in his back publicly.  I don't like what I'm seeing with anything they are doing.  They sold their interest in the New York times, something tells me FSG is getting ready to do some business ( selling out).  You don't see Linda sending messages on twitter about LFC anymore and in fact she's very quiet on the redsox as well.  Reading between the lines I'm not liking what I smell

They didn't get any money in that trade mate, they received one major league player whose contract will be done by the end of the year and three young prospects in return. They sent money to pay their share of what they would have had to pay if they didn't trade them. Baseball trades player for player or sometimes if it's really really minimal in value they will send cash but it's not like transfers. Think of them as clearing the wage bill on the Red Sox, it doesn't exactly mean they could go spend what they traded away, just means in the future they can spend more without having to pay a luxury tax. It's really complicated, but basically it doesn't necessarily mean we should have had a lot more money to spend.
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2012 06:17:36 am by Baustinsali08 »
      RedCanuck
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #1413: Sep 01, 2012 05:59:58 am
      They didn't get any money in that trade mate. They sent money to pay their share of what they would have had to pay if they didn't trade them. Baseball trades player for player or sometimes if it's really really minimal in value they will send cash but it's not like transfers. Think of them as clearing the wage bill on the Red Sox, it doesn't exactly mean they could go spend what they traded away, just means in the future they can spend more without having to pay a luxury tax. It's really complicated, but basically it doesn't necessarily mean we should have had a lot more money to spend.

Perhaps I should have been more clear, when I said cash in return I mean't they just gained a ton of freedom to spend, by lowering their wage bill!  They don't have that annual wage on the books anymore.  You're absolutely correct in that baseball is totally different.  I was just trying to make the point of them seemingly lower they're financial commitment to both teams drastically.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #1414: Sep 01, 2012 06:21:22 am
      Perhaps I should have been more clear, when I said cash in return I mean't they just gained a ton of freedom to spend, by lowering their wage bill!  They don't have that annual wage on the books anymore.  You're absolutely correct in that baseball is totally different.  I was just trying to make the point of them seemingly lower they're financial commitment to both teams drastically.

It doesn't necessarily mean they are selling the teams, but I know what you mean. They certainly don't have to spend as much as they have to now trading those guys, but I'm almost positive that the Red Sox and Liverpoolfc do not affect each other in terms of what we can spend and what they can spend and if it isn't the case, then they are going to make it completely obvious this summer if they spend big money on someone like Josh Hamilton, but its been the talk of Boston that the strategy is no more ridiculousness contracts, so idk.
      The Lark
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts | 12 
      Reply #1415: Sep 01, 2012 09:47:58 am
      It doesn't necessarily mean they are selling the teams, but I know what you mean. They certainly don't have to spend as much as they have to now trading those guys, but I'm almost positive that the Red Sox and Liverpoolfc do not affect each other in terms of what we can spend and what they can spend and if it isn't the case, then they are going to make it completely obvious this summer if they spend big money on someone like Josh Hamilton, but its been the talk of Boston that the strategy is no more ridiculousness contracts, so idk.

Net result is they have a piss-poor squad but the promise of future investment in the playing staff, right?

Sound familiar?
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Reply #1416: Sep 01, 2012 09:50:21 am
      So the master plan.. the great attacking player to get us goals.. was Dempsey.

Wow.

Dempsey was Carroll's replacement??!!!

Yikes.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1417: Sep 01, 2012 10:01:24 am
      So the master plan.. the great attacking player to get us goals.. was Dempsey.

Wow.

Dempsey was Carroll's replacement??!!!

Yikes.

The guy that scores goals on a regular basis? That guy! He is a better goal scorer than Carroll is, it isn't exactly hard for Dempsey to find 4 league goals mate, he will do that twice over and possibly more. We have missed out, and i will continue to say it all season if i have to to get through to people like you who think he isn't even remotely half decent compared to Carroll.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #1418: Sep 01, 2012 10:09:42 am
      Seeing a few tweets about Fulham's price for us was higher than that for Villa and spuds.   >:(

Still can't quite believe yesterday happened as it did, was hoping it was all a bad dream.  Got to pray that Luis and Fabio stay fit and don't pick up too many cards.  And we start banging in goals from midfield as well.
      sonuxs
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 332 posts |
      Reply #1419: Sep 01, 2012 10:14:27 am
      I reckon FSG want to make sure Rodgers is the right man. At the end of the season If Rodgers is still in Top  7 with this squad, they will splurge a 100 million like last year. Everybody at the management has been using the term "rebuilding" and this is the only theory that makes sense to me.

Top4 this year is not a target for the club at all. This yr is just a test for Brodgers.

They probably don't want to splurge and then realise Brodgers is not the right man and when they get a new gaffer next season, he will clean out the squad and will want players that he is comfortable with.

Ofcourse these are my opinions and not ITK sh*te.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1420: Sep 01, 2012 10:18:30 am
      Yeah I was just going to say I respect both your guys opinion, but I just feel that the one thing we dont need right now is a mutiny between fans and owners. FSG are not Hicks and Gillette. I'm not gonna lie, I was a Red Sox fan first before Liverpool fc (Importance has definitely flipped since)

I'll return that respect mate but with that in mind; I have to say that, before you posted the above, I could have guessed that you were (initially) a Redsox fan. The reason? Your unremitting defence of the owners; even against 'fair comment'. To be fair, you aren't alone in this respect. Please don't get me wrong; your loyalty to FSG is admirable but it may be for the wrong reasons and is definitely misplaced.

Something all fans should know (if they don't already): the owners are not, never were and never will be part of the trinity; Shankly's 'Holy Trinity'. Players; Manager and fans.

Any criticism of the owners is not mutiny; it's not disrespectful; it's not disloyal and it's, sure as sh*t, not because they are from the United States.

Surely we are all in this because of our love of Liverpool Football Club (emphasis on "Football") and not because we admire the way businessmen do business? Anything which impacts on the ability of Liverpool F.C. to win should be of concern to any football fan.

I sat on here, last night, watching the excuses unfold; some sublime, some ridiculous but (irrespective of the excuses) the fact remains: we offered a derisory £3m for a player who Brendan wanted, who we needed and who we didn't get. To make matters worse he went to a club who also stepped in to take Brendan's first target because we wouldn't or couldn't afford his wages. Denying that which has happened doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

John Henry & Co are big enough and ugly enough to take criticism, where it's due, and don't need 'our' pathetic attempts at squaring the circle. We can bust the myths, surrounding FSG, in another thread so let's leave it there for now; moving on...

Would we have been stronger (as a football team) had we signed Dempsey and Sigurdsson? Yes. Are we stronger (as a football team) now than we were, before trading started? Maybe. Are we stronger and more efficient (as a business) than we were, before trading started? Definitely. Think about it.  ;)

I actually believe Brendan will bust a gut to make this team work and win; the optimist in me sees it happen this season but... if and when he does it will be in spite of the owners not because of them.
      PG LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      • JFT96
      Reply #1421: Sep 01, 2012 10:22:29 am
      All of this is hard to stomach, but why is everyone moaning about Carroll going when the same faces were saying what a waste of money he was just days ago???? smacks of hypocrisy to me  ...
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1422: Sep 01, 2012 10:22:35 am
      Seeing a few tweets about Fulham's price for us was higher than that for Villa and spuds.

People really are clutching at straws and will be happy to believe what they want if it helps justify their misplaced faith in our owners. This is a prime example of the ridiculous extent some will go to.

All of this is hard to stomach, but why is everyone moaning about Carroll going when the same faces were saying what a waste of money he was just days ago???? smacks of hypocrisy to me  ...

Do you genuinely believe this is about Carroll more than it's about supporting the manager in his quest to replace him? Wow.  :-\
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Reply #1423: Sep 01, 2012 10:29:58 am
      The guy that scores goals on a regular basis? That guy! He is a better goal scorer than Carroll is, it isn't exactly hard for Dempsey to find 4 league goals mate, he will do that twice over and possibly more. We have missed out, and i will continue to say it all season if i have to to get through to people like you who think he isn't even remotely half decent compared to Carroll.

Pretty sure Carroll was scoring plenty of goals too.. before we bought him.

Dempsey is never a replacement for Carroll. Dempsey is a Gerrard. He can score goals, but he's not an all out striker.
      PG LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      • JFT96
      Reply #1424: Sep 01, 2012 10:30:08 am
      You find it funny?..why? do you revel in mocking our team?.......... :roll:
      PG LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      • JFT96
      Reply #1425: Sep 01, 2012 10:35:26 am
      People really are clutching at straws and will be happy to believe what they want if it helps justify their misplaced faith in our owners. This is a prime example of the ridiculous extent some will go to.

Do you genuinely believe this is about Carroll more than it's about supporting the manager in his quest to replace him? Wow.  :-\

No I was thinking about the bigger picture, If the business was bad for LFC, Id rather we didnt do it..Its nothing to do with Carroll, I dont really understand your response though, we panic bought Carroll with money from Torres, and hes not worked out, so how will we miss him??? only 4 goals for £35m

Quick Reply