Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your Man of the Match this afternoon?

Joe Allen
      55 (44.4%)
      Joe Allen
      10 (8.1%)
      Joe Allen
      14 (11.3%)
      Joe Allen
      6 (4.8%)
      Raheem Sterling
      23 (18.5%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      7 (5.6%)
      Joe Allen
      9 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Liverpool 0-2 Arsenal: In-game & post-match depression

Read 45889 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Re: LIVE: Liverpool v Arsenal
      Reply #667: Sep 02, 2012 04:18:36 pm
      tw*ts on other forums already calling for Rodgers head. What has happened to our fanbase? I'm hoping it's just knee jercking
      Dickheads and wums what the F**k is any manager going to do with owners who will not back him, tell porkies and continually appoint scapegoats to negate them of blame.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #668: Sep 02, 2012 04:18:50 pm
      Our goal ratio reflects our wage bill.

Yes, because we have the fifth highest wage bill and the 5th highest number of goals so far this season.  :roll:

Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #669: Sep 02, 2012 04:20:37 pm
      i really never want to see suarez play up top again he shouldn't be the central focus, put borini there please.
      ozziboi7
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #670: Sep 02, 2012 04:20:38 pm
      Tw*ts on other forums already calling for Rodgers head. What has happened to our fanbase? I'm hoping it's just knee jercking

Well anybody calling for his head cannot count themselves as a supporter of our club! Wheather they believe in his system or not, the manager should be given the backing of every red out there!
      Nabil el Zhar
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | -1 
      Reply #671: Sep 02, 2012 04:23:03 pm
      Assaidi is quick he would has added a lot in that game if he was selected.. hope to see him in the next game.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #672: Sep 02, 2012 04:28:07 pm
      tw*ts on other forums already calling for Rodgers head. What has happened to our fanbase? I'm hoping it's just knee jercking

Keep away from other forums. ;)

sh*t performance?  No, not good enough on many levels, but some things were done well. 

We pressed Arsenal well and for the first 20 minutes we forced them into playing long ball football, which we dealt with well.  Reina was looking uncomfortable all game.  Actually think this is the best I've seen from Enrique in a while, not great but better than Johnson.  Agger was OK, Sktrel too, but no more.  Allen & Sahin looked like they they'd been born passing the ball, Gerrard was poor, worse in the first half than the second. Borini, give him credit where it's due, he tracked back well, but that was all, Sterling had a good game, still learning though.  Suarez was off the pace & one dimensional, was denied a penalty,  maybe two but giving the push by Mannone would have been harsh. 

For me the only real differences were Diaby, who was my overall MOTM, and the fact they created clear cut chances, something we didn't do until the last 5 minutes.

Have to say I'm with Rodders on this, Abu Dhabi was the deciding factor all day long. He totally took the piss out of midfield and given the fact the Stevie and Luis had an absolutely terrible game the result was inevitable. If our two best players are taken out of the game by themselves what can we expect?
      StevieG80
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts |
      Reply #673: Sep 02, 2012 04:30:59 pm
      Im sorry Stevie G, i think your career is just about at its end.
      Sterling with another sterling performance but other than him and some decent quiet work from Allen we lacked any form of passion and often looked utterly clueless in the final third.

Last season our issue was scoring, now we seem to have added leaking goals to that equation. Im scared very scared.

Despite all this I dont totally blame the manager as his hands are tied, however I would have kept my mouth shut till transfers were certain and not promissed fans that there will be at lease one replacement.

Please dont start calling for a managers head after just 3 games though, that's ludicrousness of the highest order.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #674: Sep 02, 2012 04:31:38 pm
      Look at it this way...

United-Rooney, Van Persie, Welbeck
      City-Aguero, Tevez, Dzeko, Balotelli
      Chelsea-Torres, Sturridge, Hazard, Mata
      Arsenal-Giroud, Podolski, Gervinho
      Spurs-Adebayor, Dembele, Defoe, Dempsey
      Newcastle-Cisse, Ba
      Everton-Jelavic, Mirallas
      Liverpool-Suarez, Borini

These are all the 'top' teams striking options. Realistically, as Suarez seems to be struggling to get the final finish, I really think that we have the worst team attacking wise compared to those above, maybe even adding Sunderland to that.
      Just a point. GRIM.
      Alicus
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 985 posts | 15 
      Reply #675: Sep 02, 2012 04:32:15 pm
      Reporter: Would you have released Andy Carroll had you known there was no replacement coming in?
      Rodgers: No.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #676: Sep 02, 2012 04:33:44 pm
      Have to say I'm with Rodders on this, Abu Dhabi was the deciding factor all day long

We gave him so much time on the ball too, it only helped him. I criticised Rooney for not picking up Pirlo in the England-Italy game during the summer as he was the player in that Space, and it was no different today. Gerrard should have been picking him up and he wasn't.

The 7 second rule was not on show today.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #677: Sep 02, 2012 04:35:05 pm
      Liverpool have the option to recall Andy Carroll from West Ham in January as part of their loan agreement. Confirmed,Brendan Rodgers: "We got what we got. It is irrelevant, it's gone. I'm focused on players we have here. We'll think again in January.

what he really means is the owners fu**ed him over, and when jan window opens he will see what money the hungry cu*ts give him.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,152 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #678: Sep 02, 2012 04:39:13 pm
      Well, that was a very disappointing performance today from the lads. I'm getting slightly worried about this new style of football, i'm all for sleek passing but once again all those passes have led to f**k all.

We seem to lack width with the 4-3-3 and the gap between the middle three and front three was massive at times. Arteta and Diaby bossed the centre of the pitch and i couldn't believe how deep Gerrard and Allen played in the first half. Sahin was awful but it's hard to judge a player on his first ever apearance in the EPL when he's had no time to adjust. He seems very lightweight and i think he was shocked by the physicality of the game here. If anything i would have brought Shelvey on for Sahin before the Borini substitution, we were getting ourselves a new arsehole ripped in the middle.

Borini was absolutely terrible and i lost count of the times he wasted possession and failed to read the game when team mates had the ball. Hopefully with time that intelligence will improve, it has to. He sh*t out of 3 tackles and seems afraid of hard contact, that has to change. This is the Premier League, not La Liga, he must toughen up. It was inevitable that he would come off, he was getting bullied and Downing being our only attacking option on the bench came on and did a job. Nothing special but he did a job.

Gerrard and Suarez were awful, their link up play was absolutely shocking. Their worst game for Liverpool for a while. Suarez really has to learn to stay on his feet more often, he'll get more goals that way. Webb was like a c**t today but once a player shows a tendency to dive at the slightest contact then you can understand the reluctance to keep giving free kicks. Joe Allen was outstanding again, showing maturity way beyond his years, i just wish he'd get forward a bit more often.

Raheem Sterling was once again immense, at the heart of all we did that was good. Always eager to take people on and did a great job of winning the ball back when he lost it. Man Of The Match for me. What pissed me off was our reluctance to utilise him more in the second half when we needed to get back into the game, he had the better of Jenkinson, we failed to exploit that.

The full backs were ok, nothing special. Johnson and Enrique both trying to get forward but our wide men have to learn to come inside when our full backs attack the flanks. At times we were too congested out wide and that resulted in a lack of support in the middle.

Agger had a good game today and it was great to see his calming presence among the back line. I still think Skrtel is struggling to come to terms with this pass at all costs system, he'll come good though. Still making reckless tackles in areas of the pitch where there is no need.

And finally Pepe Reina, what the f**k is going on with him?. He just looks like he doesn't care anymore. He needs a kick up the arse and sooner rather than later. He should have made himself bigger for the Podolski goal and also seemed slow to stick his leg out. The Cazorla goal was an absolute farce, there was no need to go to ground, he had the angle covered and it was easier to save with his feet.

Like i said, i'm worried that we lack width with this 4-3-3 system, we are too narrow and teams with 4 man or 5 man midfields will overrun us. The gap between the middle three and the front three was way too big at times. Our wide men need to learn to come into the middle of the pitch when our full backs attack the flank. Our midfielders are too slow to support the front men when we get the ball in from out wide.

If the left attacker of the front three puts a cross in then the right attacker of the front three must come into the middle to support the central striker and vice versa in the other two situations. Too many times i saw a cross going into the box with only Suarez up against four or five Arsenal defenders.

We also seem to be passing for the sake of passing which is a dangerous game to play. Some of the players seem reluctant to take the ball on themselves and are always making pass when there are better options. We have to be able to mix it up, we have to have an alternative option.

It's early doors and hopefully over the next few months it will all fall into place.  Brendan has been fu**ed by FSG, he's got to f**k with the cock he's got.

I'm hearing people saying he hasn't got the players to implement his system, if this is so and only Brendan truly knows, then he has to make the system fit the players.

It's going to be a long hard Season but i'm sure Brendan can get us to where we need to go.

YNWA Brendan.
      designerlfc73
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 42 posts |
      Reply #679: Sep 02, 2012 04:40:02 pm
      This is the first time I've felt compelled to write a comment about a Liverpool performance! We've only played 3 games and actually should have won against City. I just can't see where our goals are going to come from. Gerrard looks a shadow of his former self, there's nobody in the team with big enough shoulders at the moment who can inspire the rest of the team and give them and the fans hope. I can see us scoring less goals than last season which worries the cr@p out of me because our defence saved us loads of times last season. Which I don't think they can do it again. Other teams are going to play against us with much more confidence which again will make it even more difficult for us to score.

BR needs to show us his man management skills and start getting match winning performances out of the players, we need to stop looking back and move forward together. We need to be patient and give our full support to both the team and the manager otherwise we may be supporting our team in the championship next season and NOBODY wants that.
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #680: Sep 02, 2012 04:41:27 pm
      I am going to be positive. We have a very strong back 4 and an amazing midfield made of... Allen, Allen, Allen. The kid can play.

Sterling is not the finished product yet but he has a great future if he keeps his head down and keep pushing.

We need very badly a goal scorer. Everyone seems to know this except FSG/Ayre... (morons).

I said it before and I will say again. Gerrard should not be an auto starter. IMO Jonjo should have come in for Gerrard 30 min in the game.

Sahin was lethargic. But again this is his first game so I will hold off judgement.

I thought the passing as a whole was good but we need that spark. And without an excellent Suarez, we struggle because all creativity comes from him.

We need to stay 100% behind the lads and the gaffer. YNWA.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      Reply #681: Sep 02, 2012 04:45:14 pm
      If FSG are watching whats going on at our club,The will be out in force trying to bring in some free agents in the next few days,Surely they will see whats going on and wont want to be a laughing stock of the premier league!!
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      Reply #682: Sep 02, 2012 04:47:22 pm
      I am going to be positive. We have a very strong back 4 and an amazing midfield made of... Allen, Allen, Allen. The kid can play.

Sterling is not the finished product yet but he has a great future if he keeps his head down and keep pushing.

We need very badly a goal scorer. Everyone seems to know this except FSG/Ayre... (morons).

Our back 4 is far from solid we leaded seven goals so far.Allen played well today along with young Raheem,The rest need a good kick in the bollix.And the owners need to get there finger out and get some free agents in till January.

I said it before and I will say again. Gerrard should not be an auto starter. IMO Jonjo should have come in for Gerrard 30 min in the game.

Sahin was lethargic. But again this is his first game so I will hold off judgement.

I thought the passing as a whole was good but we need that spark. And without an excellent Suarez, we struggle because all creativity comes from him.

We need to stay 100% behind the lads and the gaffer. YNWA.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1478 
      Reply #683: Sep 02, 2012 04:54:50 pm
      Reporter: Would you have released Andy Carroll had you known there was no replacement coming in?
      Rodgers: No.

A PR damage control?
      Definitely slashed the wage bill though.
      Lucky Maverick
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #684: Sep 02, 2012 04:55:19 pm
      If Gerrard drops to the bench what does Pepe have to do to get dropped 7 goals in 3 games is just crazy.

True. Everytime a shot is on target, you feel Reina's going to let it in.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #685: Sep 02, 2012 05:02:48 pm
      Well, that was a very disappointing performance today from the lads. I'm getting slightly worried about this new style of football, i'm all for sleek passing but once again all those passes have led to f**k all.

We seem to lack width with the 4-3-3 and the gap between the middle three and front three was massive at times. Arteta and Diaby bossed the centre of the pitch and i couldn't believe how deep Gerrard and Allen played in the first half. Sahin was awful but it's hard to judge a player on his first ever apearance in the EPL when he's had no time to adjust. He seems very lightweight and i think he was shocked by the physicality of the game here. If anything i would have brought Shelvey on for Sahin before the Borini substitution, we were getting ourselves a new arsehole ripped in the middle.

Borini was absolutely terrible and i lost count of the times he wasted possession and failed to read the game when team mates had the ball. Hopefully with time that intelligence will improve, it has to. He sh*t out of 3 tackles and seems afraid of hard contact, that has to change. This is the Premier League, not La Liga, he must toughen up. It was inevitable that he would come off, he was getting bullied and Downing being our only attacking option on the bench came on and did a job. Nothing special but he did a job.

Gerrard and Suarez were awful, their link up play was absolutely shocking. Their worst game for Liverpool for a while. Suarez really has to learn to stay on his feet more often, he'll get more goals that way. Webb was like a c**t today but once a player shows a tendency to dive at the slightest contact then you can understand the reluctance to keep giving free kicks. Joe Allen was outstanding again, showing maturity way beyond his years, i just wish he'd get forward a bit more often.

Raheem Sterling was once again immense, at the heart of all we did that was good. Always eager to take people on and did a great job of winning the ball back when he lost it. Man Of The Match for me. What pissed me off was our reluctance to utilise him more in the second half when we needed to get back into the game, he had the better of Jenkinson, we failed to exploit that.

The full backs were ok, nothing special. Johnson and Enrique both trying to get forward but our wide men have to learn to come inside when our full backs attack the flanks. At times we were too congested out wide and that resulted in a lack of support in the middle.

Agger had a good game today and it was great to see his calming presence among the back line. I still think Skrtel is struggling to come to terms with this pass at all costs system, he'll come good though. Still making reckless tackles in areas of the pitch where there is no need.

And finally Pepe Reina, what the f**k is going on with him?. He just looks like he doesn't care anymore. He needs a kick up the arse and sooner rather than later. He should have made himself bigger for the Podolski goal and also seemed slow to stick his leg out. The Cazorla goal was an absolute farce, there was no need to go to ground, he had the angle covered and it was easier to save with his feet.

Like i said, i'm worried that we lack width with this 4-3-3 system, we are too narrow and teams with 4 man or 5 man midfields will overrun us. The gap between the middle three and the front three was way too big at times. Our wide men need to learn to come into the middle of the pitch when our full backs attack the flank. Our midfielders are too slow to support the front men when we get the ball in from out wide.

If the left attacker of the front three puts a cross in then the right attacker of the front three must come into the middle to support the central striker and vice versa in the other two situations. Too many times i saw a cross going into the box with only Suarez up against four or five Arsenal defenders.

We also seem to be passing for the sake of passing which is a dangerous game to play. Some of the players seem reluctant to take the ball on themselves and are always making pass when there are better options. We have to be able to mix it up, we have to have an alternative option.

It's early doors and hopefully over the next few months it will all fall into place.  Brendan has been fu**ed by FSG, he's got to f**k with the cock he's got.

I'm hearing people saying he hasn't got the players to implement his system, if this is so and only Brendan truly knows, then he has to make the system fit the players.

It's going to be a long hard Season but i'm sure Brendan can get us to where we need to go.

YNWA Brendan.

Outstanding summary +1 for that man.
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #686: Sep 02, 2012 05:06:06 pm
      Liverpool have the option to recall Andy Carroll from West Ham in January as part of their loan agreement. Confirmed,Brendan Rodgers: "We got what we got. It is irrelevant, it's gone. I'm focused on players we have here. We'll think again in January.

what he really means is the owners fu**ed him over, and when jan window opens he will see what money the hungry cu*ts give him.

I do hope BR is here come January. So many free managers right now.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #687: Sep 02, 2012 05:14:55 pm
      Passed us off the park at times, ironically the thing we're supposed to be doing to teams at Anfield.

One of the most worrying signs for me is that team was effectively our strongest 11 as well.

Massive, massive task ahead for Rodgers. Just pray he gets the time from the supposed 'Best fans in the World'.

Not holding my breath though, already a few grumbles of discontent at the final whistle from a section of Gobshites.
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #688: Sep 02, 2012 05:25:37 pm
      My one concern with Brendan is the fact that he only seems to want to play HIS tika-taka way, now every manager should have their principles, but also a plan B - Andy Carroll, I thought we were far too predictable today. I know its early on in the season so Brendan is still to stamp his mark on the team, so this is not a knee-jerk reaction, I'm just expressing my opinion about how we may potentially be neutralised. I think Brendan is going to have a great future in the game, and although I'm not 100% certain about him yet - due to the point I raise earlier, I do believe he will find the 'right balance' with our squad given time. Its more a case of, what do we do when plan A isn't working?

How much could we have done with Carroll's knock-downs pushing them back today, we needed a focal point. It was meant to be Suarez, I agree with many others, I don't think he's a main striker, more a free role/trequartista(to use fm terminology :') haha)
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 28 
      Reply #689: Sep 02, 2012 05:35:22 pm
      In the pre-match thread yesterday I tipped Arsenal to win by two goals.  Specifically, I said the advanced positions of our full-backs in BR's system left us exposed to counter-attacks.

So if I can see a structural weakness like that, I would expect BR to draw conclusions.  I suggest playing 3-5-2, which would leave us slightly less vulnerable.  But what do I know?

In general, I am extremely concerned.  Two experiments are being tried at present, neither of which is working:
      1) Moneyball
      2) Plan A (and only Plan A).

As mentioned in a thread I opened yesterday, we have yet to score from open play in the PL this season.  We created very little today.

Quick Reply