Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your Man of the Match this afternoon?

Joe Allen
      55 (44.4%)
      Joe Allen
      10 (8.1%)
      Joe Allen
      14 (11.3%)
      Joe Allen
      6 (4.8%)
      Raheem Sterling
      23 (18.5%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      7 (5.6%)
      Joe Allen
      9 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Liverpool 0-2 Arsenal: In-game & post-match depression

Read 45863 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Liverpool 0-2 Arsenal: In-game & post-match depression
      Reply #713: Sep 02, 2012 08:21:26 pm
      Not the first time that's happened in the last 30 months.

Honestly up to certain points some of the play itself the past month has been the prettiest I've seen since becoming a supporter.
      davepolo
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -1 
      • taught English by AZ, grAmmEr schooL fAiLure
      Reply #714: Sep 02, 2012 10:31:28 pm
      Honestly up to certain points some of the play itself the past month has been the prettiest I've seen since becoming a supporter.

who are you watching pretty football when hearts at home west brom away or which game
      wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #715: Sep 02, 2012 10:35:06 pm
      Guys - There is positive to be had... We play very good football in the 2/3 of the pitch. Our back 4 plus Allen and Lucas are top class. Suarez on his day is unplayable. However, he needs to feel the competition. Or else, there is complacency as we have seen today from him...

Where things really start falling off:
      - Reina is ready for retirement... I would not be surprised if Bosque dropped him from the squad
      - Gerrard is single dimensional in his game; as soon as he gets the ball he charges forward and ends up giving away the ball cheaply; he should prove that he can change his style of play or else he will end up being a drag on the team (hard to believe but true)
      - Borini does not seem to be clicking yet and with the pressure on his shoulder now he might not for a while; he needs to sit a few games to get his confidence back; he might be tired also as he had no rest
      - Suarez needs to also sit 1 or 2 games; not that he is a bad player but more to get his drive back and he might still feel tired because he had little rest
      - Sterling is full of talent but still young; it is unfair to put so much pressure on a 17 years old lad; not good for his development...
      - Sahin seemed out of his depth; but too soon to say as he might not be physically ready yet...

We need a proven 30 goals striker. One that has physical presence and speed.

Jonjo and Henderson should play more in my opinion. I would like to see develop a midfield with Allen, Jonjo, Hendo. I think with time those 3 will gel. Then when Gerrard gets his form back and changes his style he can come in for Jonjo. When Lucas is back, he can take back his DM spot and Allen will play for Hendo...

If we are to suck, might as well suck good and use this year to allow the youngsters to learn the tiki-taka game and gel together as a team and prepare for the future.

And obviously the BIG problem is the lack of a goal scorer. Someone of top quality. Someone like Damiao...? YNWA.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #716: Sep 03, 2012 01:08:00 am
      The problem with us is when we were on the offensive we hardly have more than 2 players inside the box while the scums had almost 1/2 the team inside or around the box. No one to score is another thing but when we don't have enough players inside the box how are we gonna score and we can have all the beautiful passes for 90mins that means nothing.

We should just forget of the much hyped tiki - taka and just play simple pass and go football and with much aggresssion and stop dally with those meaningless passes.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #717: Sep 03, 2012 01:11:04 am
      The problem with us is when we were on the offensive we hardly have more than 2 players inside the box while the scums had almost 1/2 the team inside or around the box. No one to score is another thing but when we don't have enough players inside the box how are we gonna score and we can have all the beautiful passes for 90mins that means nothing.

Agreed here. Luis was so isolated yesterday. He was really our only man in the box most of the time.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #718: Sep 03, 2012 02:29:06 am
      No final ball, no penetration, no goalscorer. Joe Allen quality. Diaby ran the show

Thats todays game in one swoop
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #719: Sep 03, 2012 02:38:56 am
      From what I saw our shape was really bad. It looked at times like we were in a circle outside of the Arsenal players. I think that the more fluid movement will take a while for the whole unit to comes to grips with. We had Sahin, Enrique in. Sterling is only young. Lucas out. Maybe the system will take time to bed in. Man City didn't really come to run us ragged. Arsenal are a fluid tema with lots of experience in their system. They move well and probably exposed our inexperience in the way we understand the new style. However WE HAVE To draw a line now and say no more big changes, let BR get on with it and wait for the whole thing to start gelling properly.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #720: Sep 03, 2012 10:41:58 am
      Even if we'd had the clinical striker we're clamouring for, we created so few clear cut chances, would it have made a difference and our best two chances came in the last 5 minutes, when the game was already lost.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #721: Sep 03, 2012 12:31:56 pm
      That was a depressing game! No desire and beside shelvey no attacking options on the bench. Loaning out Carroll will turn out to be a gigantic mistake!
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #722: Sep 03, 2012 12:44:34 pm
      Even if we'd had the clinical striker we're clamouring for, we created so few clear cut chances, would it have made a difference and our best two chances came in the last 5 minutes, when the game was already lost.
      Exactly my feelings
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #723: Sep 03, 2012 06:53:47 pm
      Hansen made one comment I agreed with. If you're only plan is to pass the ball and play in 'that' way, and you meet a team passing it better, you're screwed. That will always be the problem for teams playing in that way, that if plan A fails, there's not much in the way of plan B. Even for Barca who have the best players int the world (Real and Chelsea did them last season).
      Didn't see the game, caught the 'highlights' on MOTM. Don't even seem to have created that many clear cut chance to miss in fairness.
      Argh.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #724: Sep 03, 2012 07:42:56 pm
      Very dissapointing to put it mildly,after the city game I was buzzing and excited by the way we played and passed city of the park.

Think whatever happened on Friday seems to have seeped into the lads heads a bit as they looked out of sorts to be kind.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #725: Sep 03, 2012 11:48:37 pm
      Joe Allen and Raheem Sterling, the only 2 that can hold their heads up after that game. As for Suarez, what was going on with him?! Probably his worst game for us, kept getting tackled and falling over easily, his passing was abysmal and as for that chance at the end, why the hell did he try and go for a lob, put your foot through and make sure it goes in for crying out loud!

Up until 20minutes or so it was an even game, we may have even edged it a bit but after that we just fell apart.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #726: Sep 03, 2012 11:53:13 pm
      The problem Bren has is that the players we already have at the club, even the good ones are not used to having to pass, pass, pass and to do it accurately and decisively.

They look like they want to play longer but are being forced not to. In many ways it is quite criminal that players of the ability of Suarez and Gerrard in particular cannot accurately pass the ball 5 yards consistently.

Joe Allen is the only player impressing me at the moment.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6691 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #727: Sep 04, 2012 11:14:29 am
      We now have to wait 2 weeks to try and kick start our season and try to redeem ourselves from this horrible start to the League campaign, with most players being away on International duty.

Joe Allen Fantastic.

Luis Suarez should have smashed that ball along the ground into the back of the net but yet again he was too clever for himself and tried to lob the keeper from that close. Come on Luis just stick it in the back of the net instead of trying to do the sublime every F***ing time.  :mad: :mad: :mad: We love ya lad but jeez can you frustrate the F**k out of us at times.
      Wall
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 108 posts |
      • Dangerous, Unpredictable and I Make a lot of Noise
      Reply #728: Sep 04, 2012 11:18:42 am
      Come on Luis just stick it in the back of the net instead of trying to do the sublime every f**king time.  :mad: :mad: :mad: We love ya lad but jeez can you frustrate the f**k out of us at times.

Too true mate. A prime example is the Heart's game. Rounded the keeper, open goal, fannied on with it and missed. Then when we were 1-0 down he dropped his shoulder took on the man and - for him, a relativly easy finish side foot into the net. Why can't he just do this everytime?!?!
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #729: Sep 04, 2012 12:59:43 pm
      Agreed here. Luis was so isolated yesterday. He was really our only man in the box most of the time.

Even Southampton and WBA had more players inside the box than us. If we don't put enough bodies inside the box we're not going to trouble the opposition defenders enough and we ain't going to score and defenders just have to make sure they mark Suarez tightly and we won't be able to score. Suarez is our only single threat to teams at the moment.

Suarez must really start to bring others into the game, he can't be trying everytime to dribble pass every defender into goal, he must start to look up and see whether others are in better position to score, no one said he must score in every game.

Perhaps, BR  to give Suarez a gentle reminder that it's a team game, but the rest will also need to move around the box to allow Suarez to pick them up. What I realise is when Suarez was in possession, the rest inside or just outside the box looked stood still or strolling as if they were bolted to the ground while they should be moving into space in the box that Suarez can see them.
      redpool
      • Forum David Johnson

• 217 posts |
      Reply #730: Sep 04, 2012 03:34:22 pm

Watching the game again, Suarez being held back was a definite penalty. If we have equalized then, we might have gone on to win the game. Howard Webb is a real corrupt b***ard, he would have blown for a penalty if it was a MU player at the old toilet.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #731: Sep 04, 2012 04:42:11 pm
      Game hinged on a couple of moments that could have completely altered the result. The only thing I really drew from it is that:

a) Gerrard was crap.

b) Suarez was crap.

c) Borini is completely wasted on the wing.

d) Reina should have done better but Cazorla just walked in on a simple 1-2.

I expect all of those things to change (although I don't get why point C hasn't already changed).
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Reply #732: Sep 04, 2012 04:47:28 pm
      Not satisfied with the result, though we cant really criticize the players as we were playing against one of the top clubs in europe. We have to be really patient i guess, BR is not a magician, he cant make a team win without a proper goal scorer.

But again goal less draws of last season looks much better now :roll
      craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #733: Sep 04, 2012 05:22:37 pm
      Why not play Borini in the center? ffs. Suarez couldn't hit a barn door, i've seen less scuffs on me work boots.

Just makes more sense to switch these two players. Suarez on the right like for Ajax, creating chances and beating the left back. And Borini having a go center, looks uncomfortable as F**k out wide.

Suarez would probably get more goals too, type of player that can miss sitters but score crazy goals from crazy angles. Even against Gomel when he was played on the left he looked amazing, then every game since hes played center and not cut it.

Just by playing Suarez wide and Borini center, this would fix things up for me, and could be the difference in games like this. Because in all fairness i think people have overreacted to our last performance, we seen a lot of the ball and had some good moments and looked more positive than Arsenal. Just lacking that ruthless aproach in clear cut created chances and finishing.

Couldn't really fault Sterling, he was awesome.

Sterling   Borini    Suarez.

borinired
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 40 posts |
      Reply #734: Sep 04, 2012 05:46:28 pm
      Why not play Borini in the center? ffs. Suarez couldn't hit a barn door, i've seen less scuffs on me work boots.

Just makes more sense to switch these two players. Suarez on the right like for Ajax, creating chances and beating the left back. And Borini having a go center, looks uncomfortable as f**k out wide.

Suarez would probably get more goals too, type of player that can miss sitters but score crazy goals from crazy angles. Even against Gomel when he was played on the left he looked amazing, then every game since hes played center and not cut it.

Just by playing Suarez wide and Borini center, this would fix things up for me, and could be the difference in games like this. Because in all fairness i think people have overreacted to our last performance, we seen a lot of the ball and had some good moments and looked more positive than Arsenal. Just lacking that ruthless aproach in clear cut created chances and finishing.

Couldn't really fault Sterling, he was awesome.

Sterling   Borini    Suarez.
      i agree totally. feel sorry for Borini looks lost on the wing. Hope Brendans tries it out soon.
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #735: Sep 06, 2012 10:49:46 am
      Tactical mastercalss from Wenger.

Arsenal came in and started slow not looking to concede early on, but once they got into rhythm they could pass the ball well against pressure and showed why almost no other team in the league tries to press against them.

They got the goal and decided to get into halftime with the lead, got out slow in the second half sitting deep and took the crowd out of it then sucker punched scoring a goal when they had been under considerable pressure.

Seen comments where people said that they were not that good, but they had 4 glorious chances and scored from two.

Joe Allen looks good, if he adds assists and goals to his game, everything center of the park can be based on him.

Suarez? Get your head up, and actually start looking for something else other than getting a foul. Mertasacker fouled him, and it was a clear penalty, but he has to be trying to getting to that ball rather than going down after the initial contact has been made. He also is not going to get a lot of decisions.......dived way too much last season and refs just like they are doing with Young are getting tougher on him.
      But above everything, i hope that he looks to do something important with the ball in the box, so many time i see him poke the ball from the defender looking to get a foul rather than trying to get a bit of space to get the shot off........utterly frustrating.

The backline? They dont seem comfortable with the high line. Agger and Skrtel dont seem to have the pace and hence stay further back leaving huge gaps between the midfield and the backline and boy was it ever exploited. That is something that BR has to be looking at going forward.

Sterling? Looks impressively good. Would be lovely to see what the coaching team can do with him apart from the pace aspect. Jenkinson gave him nothing all day, but he looked really good when he came central and got some mismatches.

Gerrard? Reina? Need some consistency going forward, or need dropping

Quick Reply