Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

John Henrys open letter to fans.

Read 36605 times
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      John Henrys open letter to fans.
      Sep 03, 2012 09:41:12 am
      Liverpool Football Club's principal owner John W Henry has written the following open letter to supporters:

I am as disappointed as anyone connected with Liverpool Football Club that we were unable to add further to our strike force in this summer transfer window, but that was not through any lack of desire or effort on the part of all of those involved. They pushed hard in the final days of the transfer window on a number of forward targets and it is unfortunate that on this occasion we were unable to conclude acceptable deals to bring those targets in.

But a summer window which brought in three young, but significantly talented starters in Joe Allen, Nuri Sahin and Fabio Borini as well as two exciting young potential stars of the future - Samed Yesil and Oussama Assaidi - could hardly be deemed a failure as we build for the future. 

Nor should anyone minimise the importance of keeping our best players during this window. We successfully retained Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel and Luis Suarez. We greatly appreciate their faith and belief in the club. And we successfully negotiated new, long-term contracts with Luis and with Martin.

No one should doubt our commitment to the club. In Brendan Rodgers we have a talented young manager and we have valued highly his judgement about the make-up of the squad. This is a work in progress. It will take time for Brendan to instill his philosophy into the squad and build exactly what he needs for the long term.

The transfer policy was not about cutting costs. It was - and will be in the future - about getting maximum value for what is spent so that we can build quality and depth. We are avowed proponents of EUFA's Financial Fair Play agenda that was this week reiterated by Mr Platini - something we heartily applaud. We must comply with Financial Fair Play guidelines that ensure spending is tied to income. We have been successful in improving the commercial side of the club and the monies generated going forward will give us greater spending power in the coming years.

We are still in the process of reversing the errors of previous regimes. It will not happen overnight. It has been compounded by our own mistakes in a difficult first two years of ownership. It has been a harsh education, but make no mistake, the club is healthier today than when we took over.   

Spending is not merely about buying talent. Our ambitions do not lie in cementing a mid-table place with expensive, short-term quick fixes that will only contribute for a couple of years. Our emphasis will be on developing our own players using the skills of an increasingly impressive coaching team. Much thought and investment already have gone into developing a self-sustaining pool of youngsters imbued in the club's traditions.

That ethos is to win. We will invest to succeed. But we will not mortgage the future with risky spending.

After almost two years at Anfield, we are close to having the system we need in place. The transfer window may not have been perfect but we are not just looking at the next 16 weeks until we can buy again: we are looking at the next 16 years and beyond. These are the first steps in restoring one of the world's great clubs to its proper status.

It will not be easy, it will not be perfect, but there is a clear vision at work.

We will build and grow from within, buy prudently and cleverly and never again waste resources on inflated transfer fees and unrealistic wages. We have no fear of spending and competing with the very best but we will not overpay for players.

We will never place this club in the precarious position that we found it in when we took over at Anfield. This club should never again run up debts that threaten its existence.

Most of all, we want to win. That ambition drives every decision. It is the Liverpool way. We can and will generate the revenues to achieve that aim. There will be short-term setbacks from time to time, but we believe we have the right people in place to bring more glory to Anfield.

Finally, I can say with authority that our ownership is not about profit. Contrary to popular opinion, owners rarely get involved in sports in order to generate cash. They generally get involved with a club in order to compete and work for the benefit of their club. It's often difficult. In our case we work every day in order to generate revenues to improve the club. We have only one driving ambition at Liverpool and that is the quest to win the Premier League playing the kind of football our supporters want to see. That will only occur if we do absolutely the right things to build the club in a way that makes sense for supporters, for us and for those who will follow us. We will deliver what every long-term supporter of Liverpool Football Club aches for.

JOHN W HENRY

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/john-henry-s-open-letter-to-fans
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: John Henrys open letter to fans.
      Reply #1: Sep 03, 2012 09:45:57 am
      Liverpool Football Club's principal owner John W Henry has written the following open letter to supporters:

Finally, I can say with authority that our ownership is not about profit. Contrary to popular opinion, owners rarely get involved in sports in order to generate cash. They generally get involved with a club in order to compete and work for the benefit of their club. It's often difficult. In our case we work every day in order to generate revenues to improve the club. We have only one driving ambition at Liverpool and that is the quest to win the Premier League playing the kind of football our supporters want to see. That will only occur if we do absolutely the right things to build the club in a way that makes sense for supporters, for us and for those who will follow us. We will deliver what every long-term supporter of Liverpool Football Club aches for.

JOHN W HENRY

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/john-henry-s-open-letter-to-fans

Silly bollocks. What is it about then, does he like red shirts or is he a big fan of the Beatles or something? Wanting a return on their ivestment is nothing to be embarrassed about, Liverpool fans aren't f*cking stupid and we know that the club/business cost them 300 million quid. Naturally they want to sell at a profit when they eventually do etc, nothing wrong with that. The man is talking to us like we are c*nts.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #2: Sep 03, 2012 09:48:16 am
      Knew this was coming.......

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #3: Sep 03, 2012 09:49:41 am
      Wont comment...

Wish he hadn't released that

Wish I hadn't read it

Off to a better thread
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #4: Sep 03, 2012 09:50:22 am
      What the F**k?

*shakes head and walks away*
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #5: Sep 03, 2012 09:50:23 am
      Talking a lot of talk over the past 2 years, have not seen anything come from it in fact slipping back more and more.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      Reply #6: Sep 03, 2012 09:51:45 am
      To be honest I don't believe a word out of his mouth,So in one sense he can stick his open letter up his arse,Again with the we can compete with anybody in the market,and then not pay 6 million for a tried and tested goal-scorer.

They are bussiness  men and i don't believe they are only in it to make winners again,they are money men they spent 300 mill on us and the dont want to make a profit if we were to be sold??.

Also no mention of trying to bring in a free agent to help us along this season.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #7: Sep 03, 2012 09:52:16 am
       NO Mr Henry

That is not rain !
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4584 
      Reply #8: Sep 03, 2012 09:53:36 am
      PR being rolled out and I don't buy into any of that crap he has just released.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      Reply #9: Sep 03, 2012 09:53:45 am
      Talking a lot of talk over the past 2 years, have not seen anything come from it in fact slipping back more and more.

Listening  to some people in the states they say Fsg do to much talking.That was the problem a lot of red-sox fans were saying.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Sep 03, 2012 09:54:41 am
      At least he took the time to write an open letter but if we do not get the results we have all come to expect in the E.P.L. then he can expect a rocky ride.We have too much history and tradition and will not accept  failure at LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB.Send me a p.m. sometime John W Henry and I will enlighten you of what the good times were like at Anfield when winning CUPS was a habit.
      Fowler kop hero
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      Reply #11: Sep 03, 2012 09:56:05 am
      All we have done for the last 5/6 is pass the blame onto some else!! No sign of it stopping.

Was that meant to make us feel better and all fuzzy inside??
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #12: Sep 03, 2012 09:58:12 am
      Listening  to some people in the states they say Fsg do to much talking.That was the problem a lot of red-sox fans were saying.

Like I said little action.

Show me 20+ million this January that does not include downsizing the squad (well except if smoking joe wants to go)

Don't show me but begin work on the stadium with real cash and a real plan.

Stop talking, start doing and then we will see from there.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #13: Sep 03, 2012 09:58:52 am

Most people here have moaned they haven't been vocal enough.  This open letter is a badly timed PR stunt though, because the words, at present, are empty.  If he'd backed it up with real substance, Anelka, Drogba even Owen and real news about the stadium, whether it be stay or go, but this is nothing more than a platitude and I frankly expected better spin.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #14: Sep 03, 2012 10:03:45 am
      Wow they exceeded my expectations, as I said in the FSG thread, it would be a statement from Ian Ayre this week, telling us how everything was rosy and our finances were in great shape but they really got the big guns out here with the boss man himself.

If it hadn't been so predictable it may have been believable.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,027 posts | 529 
      Reply #15: Sep 03, 2012 10:04:29 am
      "We will build and grow from within, buy prudently and cleverly and never again waste resources on inflated transfer fees and unrealistic wages. We have no fear of spending and competing with the very best but we will not overpay for players."

In other words they paid way over the odds last year and have now gone to the opposite extreme and are pinching pennies even when the manager clearly had been told he was getting a striker.

If they knew they werent gonna pay more than £3 million for Dempsey, and obviously they knew that was way below Fulham's valuation, then they shouldn't have cleared out everybody else first. Keeping Carroll or, better, Bellamy, wouldn't have cost anything (apart from their wages). It suggests a complete incompetence from somebody to have the clear out and then go to the last day of the window with a "we know we are not going to pay what club x are asking for our target, no way" but not even have any fall-back option!

Henry is at least admitting that they fu**ed up, but how it was allowed to happen is hard to understand. It looks like they went through the whole summer transfer period without any serious plan.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #16: Sep 03, 2012 10:10:59 am
      What a load of bollocks.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #17: Sep 03, 2012 10:14:53 am
      Blackmailing us with "if we hadnt of bought you "bollocks.
      Its clear they do not have the financial clout to compete in the Premier league,they like the idea of owning a world renowned brand but that takes cash and they do not have it.
      Invest now get the stadium built and with a new stadium and CL football we would be self financing but with the current situation mid table mediocrity.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #18: Sep 03, 2012 10:17:23 am
      Which errors did previous regimes make.I can recall Hicks and Gillette but Moores did a fantastic job and when he left we had approx £70mil debt.
      I was wary of them form day 1 but now I just despise them.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #19: Sep 03, 2012 10:17:52 am
      You people here are cu*ts. Very rarely do owners write a letter to fans to justify themselves. They want to do good. What was he supposed to write I want LFC to be great so that I can make money? Does that make sense?

Give the owners some space. We have been driving people out of the club for the last 10-20 years without any result. Let us just shut up and support the team. I didnt hear our gobs cheering our team on Sun when we were losing. Instead you come on here and try to put the blame on Mr X and Mr Y.

Shut up and support LFC and we will evolve into a top4 team this season. Look at the players we've got, they are better than Spurs/Arsenal/Newcastle players. But if we fans dont believe and start moaning after 3 matches and not having got Clint Dumsguy, then there is no hope. It is better to develop Morgan or the new guy we bought from Germany rather than a 30 year old. We were craving for youngsters to be given a chance, now that is the case you want us to spend big to buy money grabbers? Whats wrong with you lot?

Feel much better!

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #20: Sep 03, 2012 10:21:27 am
      What I expected was a full frank and honest assessment of who fu**ed our manager over during the last day of the transfer window, why it was done and how they are going to be held accountable.

That would have been a much better open letter than the one that's been served up.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #21: Sep 03, 2012 10:22:15 am
      Blackmailing us with "if we hadnt of bought you "bollocks.
      Its clear they do not have the financial clout to compete in the Premier league,they like the idea of owning a world renowned brand but that takes cash and they do not have it.
      Invest now get the stadium built and with a new stadium and CL football we would be self financing but with the current situation mid table mediocrity.

Should we give up visionaries and get Sheiks, thats what you want, thats what Shanks taught us to do? Lets give them a chance. The plan that they have here seems very inspired and long-term rather than money shitting wastes that this club will become otherwise. This is LFC, let us do things our way and becomes what we want to become. No use for us becoming another Man City/ Chelsea. I'll better stop watching football altogehter.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #22: Sep 03, 2012 10:23:20 am
      You people here are cu*ts. Very rarely do owners write a letter to fans to justify themselves. They want to do good. What was he supposed to write I want LFC to be great so that I can make money? Does that make sense?

Give the owners some space. We have been driving people out of the club for the last 10-20 years without any result. Let us just shut up and support the team. I didnt hear our gobs cheering our team on Sun when we were losing. Instead you come on here and try to put the blame on Mr X and Mr Y.

Shut up and support LFC and we will evolve into a top4 team this season. Look at the players we've got, they are better than Spurs/Arsenal/Newcastle players. But if we fans dont believe and start moaning after 3 matches and not having got Clint Dumsguy, then there is no hope. It is better to develop Morgan or the new guy we bought from Germany rather than a 30 year old. We were craving for youngsters to be given a chance, now that is the case you want us to spend big to buy money grabbers? Whats wrong with you lot?

Feel much better!

you might feel better lots of us are just shaking our heads in disbelief.

Quick Reply