Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Change of system

Read 24603 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Change of system
      Reply #230: Dec 17, 2012 05:45:00 pm
      Mind you a repeat of Swansea's season here at LFC has to be seen as nothing short of a disaster.

Correct mate.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #231: Dec 17, 2012 05:45:53 pm
      Yes of course you can - and it seems your opinion is that BR is a good championship manager ? Not really high praise is it.

Done nothing yet to deserve high praise has he?.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #232: Dec 17, 2012 05:46:20 pm
      Just had a weird PM.

Can some one please tell the sender who delivered old big ears for a ffth time and within a cats whiskers for the sixth. :D

Oh dear!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #233: Dec 17, 2012 05:46:53 pm
      But at this moment in time I don't think he is getting the best out of our squad

I see this posted so much, but is that really the case? If we look at from the individual perspective, we're not far off playing to each players' strengths, no?

Pepe - This system suits him the best.

Johnson - Having a career year.
      Skrtel - Took a bit of time, but has gotten the swing of it.
      Agger - Looks so natural out there.
      Enrique - Always liked getting forward, but injuries have kept him out. When he has played, he's looked pretty solid.

Lucas - We'll see. Injuries and what not, so the jury's still out.
      Allen - This is supposed to suit him, but he's been out of form for some time now. The issue is not benching Allen.
      Gerrard - Definitely does not suit him. Doesn't have the legs or energy for the level of pressing, gives possession away a lot.

Sterling - I think he's thriving playing a bit further forward, it's just his lack of goals that is hurting us a bit. He's got great tactical discipline and stamina though to play the system.
      Suarez - Well his stats speak for themselves. He's thriving and he's loving it.

I've left out the last wide spot because that seems to be the big hole for us without a consistent starter. Shelvey, for example, looks great as the 10, but dreadful out wide. Suso has been ok in both spots, as this is the kind of football he's keen on. Downing and Cole.... nah ;D. Borini we didn't get to see too much.

Henderson has the workrate to play in the middle, and to be honest, he's played fairly well the last 3 games. Sahin looks a bit slow, and I think he might be one who doesn't quite fit into this system. He's a quality footballer though, so I have no doubts he could adjust (but he needs game time).

So I'd say, the only player this doesn't really get the best out of is Steven Gerrard, and he's played both deep and as the attacking mid. I wonder how this team would fair if Stevie wasn't starting one game?
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #234: Dec 17, 2012 05:51:17 pm
      Done nothing yet to deserve high praise has he?.

He certainly deserves more than to be called "a championship manager" by his own fans.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #235: Dec 17, 2012 05:51:54 pm
      Just had a weird PM.

Can some one please tell the sender who delivered old big ears for a ffth time and within a cats whiskers for the sixth. :D

I'm going to say - what ?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #236: Dec 17, 2012 05:51:57 pm
      He certainly deserves more than to be called "a championship manager" by his own fans.

I don't think we're his "fans" as we are supporters of the club he manages! Yeah, I'm being pedantic :laugh:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #237: Dec 17, 2012 05:53:46 pm

OK, Good Championship manager,managing LFC.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #238: Dec 17, 2012 05:55:58 pm
      OK, Good Championship manager,managing LFC.

He is a prem manager and he was a good prem manager as showed by how well he did with Swansea last season.

Lets at least show him the respect he shows us and our club.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #239: Dec 17, 2012 06:02:01 pm
      He is a prem manager and he was a good prem manager as showed by how well he did with Swansea last season.

Lets at least show him the respect he shows us and our club.

He done well by finishing 11th behind another LFC manager (Woy) 10th the same 47 points.

He done well by finishing ahead of another new Championship Manager (Paul Lambert) 12th on goal difference but level points 47 points.

Not disrecpectful to call it how i see it in my opinion.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #240: Dec 17, 2012 06:02:11 pm
      I'd say this system does not suit Agger and Skrtel and the amount of goals we have conceded bear testiment to that.

Skrtel and Agger are not used to being left so exposed by our midfield.

Johnson has just picked up where he left off last year as he was one of our better players last year too.

Our midfield is not suited to it at all, they are not disciplined enough or don't have the mobility to be pushed so high up on the opposition.

Suso is sh*te out wide and its a waste of his talent.

Sterling has done well, but he'd do well in most formations IMO as his game is reliant on his pace.

Suarez would do well in most formations as he's just one of those players that would always look comfortable on a football pitch, think you could play this fella in goal and he'd still look like the best player on the pitch.

Reina again has shipped more goals so I wouldn't say this system is getting the best out of him, especially when he's been a regular for the golden glove over the years.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #241: Dec 17, 2012 06:13:15 pm
      He done well by finishing 11th behind another LFC manager (Woy) 10th the same 47 points.

He done well by finishing ahead of another new Championship Manager (Paul Lambert) 12th on goal difference but level points 47 points.

Not disrecpectful to call it how i see it in my opinion.

But it was in the "PREMIERSHIP" with Swansea.

The same Swansea that beat us amongst others including Arsenal.

Not in the Championship but the "PREMIERSHIP"

That makes him a "PREMIERSHIP" manager - calling him a Championship manager is a slur on him.

It's disrespectful to our manager who has shown the fans nothing but respect - shame you can't replicate the feeling
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #242: Dec 17, 2012 06:17:02 pm
      But it was in the "PREMIERSHIP" with Swansea.

The same Swansea that beat us amongst others including Arsenal.

Not in the Championship but the "PREMIERSHIP"

That makes him a "PREMIERSHIP" manager - calling him a Championship manager is a slur on him.

Martinez & Tony Pulis must be the dogs! if beating Arsenal & us is the highlight of a managerial career.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #243: Dec 17, 2012 06:18:09 pm
      Martinez & Tony Pulis must be the dogs! if beating Arsenal & us is the highlight of a managerial career.

Both are good prem managers.

Lets not forget BR also managed to beat US under Kenny as well.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #244: Dec 17, 2012 06:20:07 pm
      Both are good prem managers.

Lets not forget BR also managed to beat US under Kenny as well.

&? we just got beat by Lambert with Villa.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #245: Dec 17, 2012 06:20:55 pm
      I assume this is directed at me as you've developed the corballyred habit of not quoting posts  :)

I'd say this system does not suit Agger and Skrtel and the amount of goals we have conceded bear testiment to that.

Skrtel and Agger are not used to being left so exposed by our midfield.

Both Agger and Skrtel had sh*t games vs Aston Villa, but I don't think they've looked all that bad. At least not as bad as you seem to think. There's not been massive over-exposure on too many of the goals if you weight up each goal we've conceded in the league, Aston Villa being a big exception, but they both had bad games in combination with that.

I do agree that we have looked susceptible to the counter all season.

Our midfield is not suited to it at all, they are not disciplined enough or don't have the mobility to be pushed so high up on the opposition.

Joe Allen is suited to it, he's just out of form. Lucas I think will be fine as well. I think Henderson can do it as well, as can Shelvey in the attacking role. It's really the captain that has looked pretty f**king dire in the middle. Sahin has been a push.

Reina again has shipped more goals so I wouldn't say this system is getting the best out of him, especially when he's been a regular for the golden glove over the years.

The number of goals conceded is not always indicative of a keeper's performance though. Reina looks the best he's been in like 3 years. I think we only shipped 40 total in the league last year, one of the lowest in the league, but I wouldn't say Pepe had a great year for example.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #246: Dec 17, 2012 06:26:16 pm
      &? we just got beat by Lambert with Villa.

And Lambert is also a good prem manager - do you get the picture now

These guys are managing teams in the prem - they have done well in the Prem not the Championship

Someone like Warnock is a championship manager.

BR has done well in the Prem - calling him a Championship Manager ( even with the caveat of "good" ) is a slur against him and is a sign of disrespect towards his abilities.

BR may not be in the top branch of managers just yet but there is time yet.

Lets at least do what we can and show him the same respect he shows us. Expect Liverpool fans to act a little better. 
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,491 posts | 232 
      Reply #247: Dec 17, 2012 06:29:14 pm

Swansea also beat man city, were less than a minute away from beating Chelsea. Only lost 1-0 to mancs

Some of his results last season considering it was mostly championship players was terrific.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #248: Dec 17, 2012 06:30:39 pm
      The sad part in all this controversy is it looks as though we are playing fantastic football but it is only what the opposition are allowing us to play.It is all to easy going forward for us and then we get caught out defensively,we leave ourselves wide open.Without a doubt we need to change our system,lets face it we can't put the ball in the net so we should at the very least make sure we are solid at the back.If we continue getting getting similar results after the January transfer window then I am afraid ALL HELL will break loose come next MAY and it will be interesting to see what the FSG reaction is to that.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #249: Dec 17, 2012 06:33:23 pm

The number of goals conceded is not always indicative of a keeper's performance though. Reina looks the best he's been in like 3 years. I think we only shipped 40 total in the league last year, one of the lowest in the league, but I wouldn't say Pepe had a great year for example.

No you're right its not, its indictive of a midfield that offers very little protection of the back 4 which is vulnerable to a counter attack.

That in itself is a failure of the system, no matter how much we try and sugar coat it.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #250: Dec 17, 2012 06:36:16 pm
      If results are similar after players that BR are bought then BR will need to look at what needs to be done to change things

I believe there are three things we need to change

1. Find a way to get a more dangerous cutting edge - no point passing the ball around if we aren't going to threaten with it

2. Get more creativity from the centre of the park - the middle three currently are the least creative i have seen at the club in a number of years

3. Get tighter at the back - sort out the protection in front of the CB's . I have never rated Skrtel as high as some and at the moment he is very exposed
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #251: Dec 17, 2012 06:40:04 pm
      I don't know if changing the system is a good idea right now , we have to stick to what we're at and hope that any new player we bring in january will make the difference . It's a gamble but i don't think we have a choice .
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #252: Dec 17, 2012 07:09:02 pm
      blaming Brendan for not changing tactics is another form of excuse.

As is blaming players for not fitting into Brendan's system an excuse for the manager.

I love being lectured by some one who admiteddly only starting following football 7 years ago, who's knowledge extends to constantly slating the manager who led us to highest points tally in premier league history and delivered old big ears for the fifth time and within a cats whiskers of the sixth time, yet can see no wrong with the manager who has led us to our worst ever premier league start.

The mind boggles at times.

You are pissing into the wind with him. When/if it all went tits up in a couple of years I know who would be more arsed.

I don't know if changing the system is a good idea right now , we have to stick to what we're at and hope that any new player we bring in january will make the difference . It's a gamble but i don't think we have a choice .

That's just it mate, why don't we have a choice?

We should have a F***ing choice, there should be Plan A's and Plan B's with regards to systems and tactics and you should have some variety in your squad of players otherwise you get found out as you are like the preverbial sitting duck.

Can't believe some of the agenda ridden bollocks I read on here sometime.

Hey rest of Premiership we will go 4-3-3 next game and revert to 4-5-1 when defending, normally badly by the way, we'll come at you from the off and then just pass sideways from there on in, if you press our defenders we'll just tw*t it long to nobody and you can have it back and come right back at us.

We're top of the possession stats league though motherfuckers!! F**k yeah!

If you have no variety or aren't Barcelona, which we are a F***ing million miles away from being by the way, then you will get found out.

Love to know what the people who say we shouldn't mix it up will be saying when the players we have aren't still working to the system and we're all regular posters in the 'Accepting Mediocrity' thread.

Quick Reply