Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Vigil at St Georges Hall 12th September 2012

Read 2733 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Vigil at St Georges Hall 12th September 2012
      Sep 06, 2012 09:41:29 am
      Vigil to be held at St George’s Hall on day of the release of Hillsborough files

A VIGIL will be held outside St George’s Hall next week on the long awaited day of the release of the Hillsborough files.

This coming Wednesday, the Hillsborough Independent Panel publishes its report into the tragedy that took the lives of 96 football fans.

The people of Liverpool are being invited to gather on St George’s plateau for the 6pm vigil to support the families.

Earlier in the day the panel will publish its much awaited report – which it is hoped will finally reveal exactly what happened on the day and the full extent of any cover-up.

During the vigil, the names of all the 96 Liverpool FC fans that died will be read out and 96 candles will also be lit.

There will be prayers from faith leaders, readings and a performance by a choir.

Margaret Aspinall, chairwoman of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, who lost her son James 18, at the 1989 tragedy in Sheffield, said: “I think it’s a lovely idea, reading the names out and lighting 96 candles will be very moving on what will be a very emotional day.

“I am so appreciative of this being done. It is not only about the 96, it’s also about our city, the fans and survivors.”

People are being invited to gather from 5pm for a period of quiet reflection before the vigil starts an hour later. It will be led by Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson.

Sheila Coleman, spokeswoman for the Hillsborough Justice Campaign, said: “The council clearly wanted to recognise the significance of the day and give an opportunity for the people of the city to show their respect.

“We support the initiative because if was not happening people within the city might feel there was no focal point.

“It’s the support of the people of Liverpool that has enabled the campaign to push for justice and truth.”

Mayor Anderson said the release of the files and the report of the independent panel was something the families had waited 23 years for.

He said: “It is going to be an extremely emotional and traumatic occasion.

“The people of Liverpool need to show our full support to the families and let them know that we are with them at this very difficult time.

“All people have wanted was that the truth be known and for justice for the deceased. We hope the panel’s findings will finally reveal what actually happened on that dreadful day.”

He said the affects of the tragedy are still being felt in the city.

“Everyone in Liverpool knows someone who was touched by the tragedy.

“People will want to not only remember the 96 who lost their lives but also, having waited so long, to share their sadness together as a city and support each other through this emotional time.

“It will be a sombre and respectful service which allows us to come together as we digest the contents of the report and remind ourselves why we must never, ever forget those who died.”

He said the vigil would also pay tribute to the Hillsborough families, who have worked so hard to get answers and have been relentless in their pursuit of the truth.

“This will be a moving event which is a fitting way to mark a momentous and significant milestone, and anyone who wants to come along and be part of it is welcome.”

More details will be released nearer the time about the order of service, which should finish around 7pm.

Lime Street and St John’s Lane will be closed from 4pm.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2012/09/03/vigil-to-be-held-at-st-george-s-hall-on-day-of-the-release-of-hillsborough-files-100252-31751389/

I'll be there.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,446 posts | 4584 
      Re: Vigil at St Georges Hall 12th September 2012
      Reply #1: Sep 06, 2012 09:44:50 am
      Will be there in Spirit.

I really hope the 96 Brothers,Sisters and their families finally get justice and the truth will be told.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #2: Sep 10, 2012 04:13:07 pm
      Two-minute silence for Hillsborough victims to be held at 3.06pm on Wednesday
      A TWO-minute silence will be observed at 3.06pm on Wednesday in memory of the 96 people who lost their lives in the Hillsborough tragedy.

Wednesday will be a historic day in the fight for justice as thousands of documents on the disaster will be disclosed, and the Independent Hillsborough Panel will release its report.

The silence will start at 3.06pm, and the bells at Liverpool Town Hall, Municipal Buildings on Dale Street and Liverpool Parish Church will ring out 96 times.

Flags at council buildings will be flown at half mast. National Museums Liverpool will also be observing the silence.

Liverpool Mayor Joe Anderson said: “On 12 September we are hoping to get the truth of what happened more than 23 years ago.

“The importance of this day cannot be underestimated, as it will trigger the start of a process which will lead to justice for everyone affected by the tragedy.

“I am asking for people to pause for just a couple of minutes at 3:06pm, at the moment when people lost their lives, as a mark of respect to those affected.“

There will also be a civic vigil at St George’s Plateau on Wednesday for people to come together to support the Hillsborough families.

People will start to arrive from 5pm for a period of quiet reflection accompanied by music from Jonathan Aasgaard, Principal ‘Cellist with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, and a brass band.

There will also be a performance of a specially commissioned musical work.

The slow air “April 15th 1989” has been written and will be performed by Terry Clarke-Coyne, a leading member of the eminent Liverpool Irish musical family.

It is Terry's reflection on the tragedy, and the dignity of the families of those who lost their lives and everyone who suffered because of what happened that day.

The formal proceedings for the vigil start at 6pm and will be led by Mayor Anderson accompanied by members of Liverpool FC academy.

There will be prayers from faith leaders including the Auxiliary Bishop of Liverpool - the Right Reverend Tom Williams, the Archdeacon of Liverpool - the Venerable Ricky Panter and Reverend Bill Bygroves, the Chaplain of Liverpool FC.

Representatives of the families will also address the audience.

The names and ages of those who died will be read by representatives of Liverpool FC.

Music during the vigil will be provided by the Love and Joy Gospel Choir and Alan Burke, Ian Prowse and Terry Clarke-Coyne - all members of the Irish Sea Sessions - will perform a version of Pete Wylie’s song “Heart As Big As Liverpool,” with Mersey Wylie, Pete’s daughter, among the backing singers.

The proceedings will conclude with the singing of You’ll Never Walk Alone.

The event is expected to finish at around 7pm.

Lime Street and St John’s Lane will be closed from 4pm to road traffic.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2012/09/10/two-minute-silence-for-hillsborough-victims-to-be-held-at-3-06pm-on-wednesday-100252-31804912/
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #3: Sep 10, 2012 06:04:30 pm
      Thanks for posting RK.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #4: Sep 12, 2012 03:44:43 pm
      No worries mate.

Just passed St Georges Hall on my way back to the office and there's already a few people gathered there.

Hope to see some of you down there.

YNWA
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Sep 12, 2012 07:49:43 pm
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,198 posts | 1274 
      Reply #6: Sep 12, 2012 07:56:04 pm
      Just watched it on the news, very emotional, a lump in my throat.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,338 posts | 1010 
      Reply #7: Sep 12, 2012 09:46:29 pm
      Watched it on LFC TV and cried all the way  through . Had hoped to be there in person , but wasn't able to make it.
      I vere between relief that the truth is out and anger that those families have had to put up with the lies and smears , while coming to terms with their loss, I don't think I can forgive that .They have shown a dignity beyond reproach.
      The fight goes on for another inquest , we've come this far , we need to see it through. YNWA.

JFT96.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: Sep 13, 2012 09:25:30 am

No idea why those links failed.

Watched this and the interviews on LFCtv.
      Anne Williams is an inspiration. The strength that woman has shown
      is immense. Encyclopedic memory, unwavering dedication, articulate and calm.
      The woman has fought 23 years while authorities have treated her with contempt.

Every night I put my son to bed he says " I can't sleep on my own "
      Every night I say " Yes you can "
      Last night I lay down and gave him a hug, watched him go asleep.

The thought of what Anne must be going through made me numb.

Anne's loss and the loss of all Liverpool fans that day deserves justice.
      Hopefully we have seen the first step on this road.

Quick Reply