Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

12th September 2012 - Independent Panel report published

Read 100934 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: 12th September 2012 - Independent Panel report published
      Reply #851: May 21, 2013 12:00:43 pm
      The fans were the heroes that day.
      The establishment turned the country against them.

Anger inside still raw,wont settle till justice is served.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #852: May 21, 2013 01:25:16 pm
      what justice is there available to these people who both on the day and then later blamed the dead for their own demise.
      The establishment is still in existence and still playing games and will do for sometime yet I am afraid to say.It doesn't get any easier watching these programmes and is justice really in sight I hope so.If I see Mackenzie hanging from a lamppost outside Anfield then at least some justice could be seen
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #853: May 21, 2013 04:48:09 pm
      My lad who was in the Leppings Lane end that day watched last nights programme on Panorama, to my knowledge it is the first time he has sat through a full recounting of the horror, he helped carry some casualties out, he was only 16 at the time and I know it scarred him deeply.
      He tells me while watching the newsreel he saw himself quite clearly on the pitch. Cannot imagine the feeling that invoked.

One of many who simply is a hero.

Hope your lad is ok.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #854: May 21, 2013 04:56:51 pm
      Hillsborough: How They Buried the Truth

Panorama offered few new Hillsborough revelations, but there were nuggets of gold in the interviews with people who were involved at the time

It took the best part of 25 years for campaigners to get the police and the government to admit the truth about the Hillsborough stadium disaster in which 96 Liverpool football fans died, so you can understand the desire to have every last wrong righted, but it does now feel as if the cover-up has been well and truly exposed. The damned have been damned. Hillsborough: How They Buried the Truth (BBC1) was a Panorama investigation that promised previously unseen television footage, but told me very little about the disaster that I hadn't already seen in several other television documentaries over the last few years.

There's nothing wrong in reminding people about the lengths the police and legal system went to in order to shift the blame from themselves to the fans ā€“ something this film did particularly well ā€“ but promising new revelations when there were next to none on offer is counterproductive. Instead of thinking about what actually was on offer in the film, I spent too much of the hour wondering when it was going to get to the new evidence. And when it didn't, I felt short-changed. Which is a pity, because there were nuggets of gold tucked away in the interviews with people who were involved at the time.

The most jaw-dropping was Lord Geoffrey Dear who, as the chief constable of the West Midlands police in 1989, was charged with investigating the conduct of the South Yorkshire police. Dear knew at the time that 116 of the statements made by police officers on duty at Hillsborough had been amended, with all critical comments removed but didn't think there was anything particularly untoward about that. When asked on camera if he regretted his decision, he replied: "With the wisdom of 20-20 hindsight ā€¦" Which came across as a rather evasive way of saying: "No".

In what world can it possibly be OK for the police to alter their statements? In the world of Jack Straw, the home secretary, who ordered the Stuart-Smith Scrutiny ā€“ though "quick glance" would have been more apt than scrutiny ā€“ into the disaster in 1998. Straw didn't bat an eyelid when Stuart-Smith concluded: "Altering police statements does not amount to irregularity or malpractice." In this film he now says: "I'm sorry. I got it wrong." Though he, like Lord Dear, looked to be rather more sorry about being caught out for his part in the cover-up than for his original error of judgment. The victims of Hillsborough may now have got the truth they deserve, but they are still being short-changed on contrition by some of the participants.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2013/may/21/hillsborough-they-buried-truth-review
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #855: May 21, 2013 05:02:13 pm
      Unbelievable how our fellows reds where blamed by the police . Heart went out to so many of the supporters who were there and appeared on the program . Hairs on my neck stood up when it showed you the flowers on the pitch at Anfield . Brought it all back .So glad there was justice but how it took so long is an absolute disgrace . I hope the police are proud of themselves the cu*ts

JFT 96 ynwa
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #856: May 21, 2013 05:10:03 pm
      One of many who simply is a hero.

Hope your lad is ok.

Thanks for that mate, the fact that he could sit through the whole programme which he did I'm told, is a first.
      As I said earlier that tells me he is in a different and better mind set about the tragedy, one that he is adjusted to.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #857: May 22, 2013 09:20:42 am
      Colin Murray: Hillsborough continues to be stuff of nightmares
      I didnā€™t watch it, not initially. Iā€™d had a good day and I knew that would end the minute this programme began, so instead I enjoyed dinner with my family, took in a film, and only pressed play once those I love were safely in bed.

Now I sit here, at 3am, after viewing BBC Panoramaā€™s ā€˜Hillsborough ā€“ How They Buried The Truthā€™, and I canā€™t think about anything else. Again.

Quite honestly, Iā€™m thinking about what it would be like if my wife went out tomorrow and never came back. And if for almost a quarter of a century to follow I would have her memory spat upon and besmirched by those in positions of power who are meant to protect us and uphold our collective principles. And I just want to punch the wall in anger.

Iā€™m thinking about how any human being can look at a pitch strewn with the dead, the dying and the wounded, a nearby temporary morgue filling up with bodies, and already be hatching a plan to pin the blame on those very same corpses in order to save their own skin.

Iā€™m thinking that anyone who can do this must have no soul to speak of, and no conscience to answer.

Iā€™m thinking about those left behind, and how theyā€™ve managed to not only keep fighting for justice, but have done so without lowering themselves to the same gutter level as those who have denied them the right to bury their loved ones with dignity and in peace.
      the Hillsborough Memorial at Anfield pays tribute to those who lost their lives.

And I am not sure I would be able to summon the grace they possess, or be able to show the self-restraint theyā€™ve displayed.

Iā€™m thinking about how my words cannot even begin to describe the suffering felt by those who lost friends and family that day, and I wonder where theyā€™ve found the courage to continue in the face of such despicable lies. Iā€™m not sure I could have.

Iā€™m thinking, with two inquiries charged with finally unearthing the real story of the worst day in the history of British football, that I donā€™t want to ever have to watch a programme like this weekā€™s Panorama again.

That I want to stand in front of the Hillsborough memorial at Anfield in the near future and touch it in the knowledge that, at last, the truth has been written forever in history, and not to walk away from it knowing that those who caused this avoidable tragedy continue to get away with it scott free.

Iā€™m hoping that the bas**rds responsible are having as much trouble sleeping tonight as I am.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/21/colin-murray-hillsborough-continues-to-be-stuff-of-nightmares-3803691/

Now check out my sig! You'll feel better once you have done it.

I promise.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #858: May 22, 2013 10:20:28 am
      I can't believe that petition only has 17,000 signatures WAHS  :mad:

That b***ard, along with many others, deserves nothing but contempt from the UK public but as usual they'll be allowed to disappear from view with a nice fat pension.

I don't use FB or Twitter but is this being pushed heavily on those sites??
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #859: May 22, 2013 11:37:53 am
      I can't believe that petition only has 17,000 signatures WAHS  :mad:

That b***ard, along with many others, deserves nothing but contempt from the UK public but as usual they'll be allowed to disappear from view with a nice fat pension.

I don't use FB or Twitter but is this being pushed heavily on those sites??

I was watching the truth being buried and reflected that it is an ongoing evil with the establishment while they still obfuscate and delay with such things as the inquest location and other such bollocks, the programme in quoting chief constables, police officers and members of the House of Lords etc went on to say some of the individuals in question had died and presumably their role in the investigation goes to the grave with them.
      Some were as guilty as hell in the corruption of evidence while some had very viable testimony in confirming that fact.
      The 23 year wait for justice as an entity only exists while the establishment endeavour to consign events to history with the passing of people and time. 
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #860: May 22, 2013 11:52:05 am
      I was watching the truth being buried and reflected that it is an ongoing evil with the establishment while they still obfuscate and delay with such things as the inquest location and other such bollocks, the programme in quoting chief constables, police officers and members of the House of Lords etc went on to say some of the individuals in question had died and presumably their role in the investigation goes to the grave with them.
      Some were as guilty as hell in the corruption of evidence while some had very viable testimony in confirming that fact.
      The 23 year wait for justice as an entity only exists while the establishment endeavour to consign events to history with the passing of people and time. 

I was truly shocked with some of the interviews in that programme Stuey. 

Jack Straw and Lord Dear almost smirking, when asked if the original inquiries could have been more thorough if they'd bothered to really look at the facts rather than believe the events as portrayed by the media, was disgraceful.

I'm still in awe of the families and survivors who have maintained their dignity throughout the last 24 years.  I still live in hope that the law will allow them to take out private prosecutions against those individuals who can't be touched any other way because they've retired.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #861: Jul 12, 2013 03:16:08 pm
      Andy Gill ā€@MerseyHack 28m
      #IPCC uncovers statements by 55 more police officers re #Hillsborough which have been altered. This in addition to 164 found by HIP. #LFC
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #862: Aug 14, 2013 02:42:45 pm
      From the Liverpool Echo:

Former Officer Claimed Dalglish 'Misled' Enquiry

A Hillsborough officer who claimed fans had only climbed free of the fatal crush ''to get a better seat'' is still employed by South Yorkshire Police, the Echo can reveal.
      The former policeman who now works in an administrative role with the force also made allegations that Kenny Dalglish had lied to the subsequent Taylor report on the disaster. 

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/policeman-who-said-hillsborough-fans-5717453
      « Last Edit: Aug 14, 2013 02:50:34 pm by stuey »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #863: Aug 14, 2013 02:47:04 pm
      From the Liverpool Echo:

Former Officer Claimed Dalglish 'Misled' Enquiry

A Hillsborough officer who claimed fans had only climbed free of the fatal crush ''to get a better seat'' is still employed by South Yorkshire Police, the Echo can reveal.
      The former policeman who now works in an administrative role with the force also made allegations that Kenny Dalglish had lied to the subsequent Taylor report on the disaster.   

The mind well and truly boggles at the thought processes of some of these people.  I hope Kenny sues for slurring his good name.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #864: Aug 14, 2013 02:51:45 pm
      Added the full story Debs.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #865: Aug 14, 2013 02:59:39 pm

Cheers mate just read it.  No surprise that Bettisons grubby hands are all over it.  God I'd love to meet him in a dark alley with half a dozen, very hungry rottweillers.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #866: Aug 14, 2013 03:31:25 pm
      Cheers mate just read it.  No surprise that Bettisons grubby hands are all over it.  God I'd love to meet him in a dark alley with half a dozen, very hungry rottweillers.

I'd like to meet him anywhere with my lad and his mate who were in the Leppings Lane end.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #867: Aug 14, 2013 03:46:37 pm
      I'd like to meet him anywhere with my lad and his mate who were in the Leppings Lane end.

True mate.  I was lucky I just watched it unfold on tv but I know how angry I was when the lies started whilst it was still happening.  I have no idea how those who were there felt, I can only imagine.

Hope they're holding up mate whilst all this is still going on, must be so very hard for everyone closely involved even though it's what we've been fighting for, for so long.

Give them a big  :hug: from me when you next see them.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #868: Aug 14, 2013 04:38:00 pm
      Officer N. 'I was in the control box all day'

I'm sure this c**t never misled the enquiry either in anyway when asked about the missing CCTV tapes and what happened to them!

And the Spurs fans climbed over the fence on to the pitch for a better view in 81 as well?

Typical South Yorkshire shitbags.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #869: Aug 15, 2013 06:18:42 pm
      It is sickening to hear such mis-information but imagine the poor families having to go through this crap.I want all officers involved then and since banged up for the lies and deceit they have persisted with for over 20 years. But I can't ever see the day that will happen
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #870: Aug 18, 2013 09:41:18 pm
      True mate.  I was lucky I just watched it unfold on tv but I know how angry I was when the lies started whilst it was still happening.  I have no idea how those who were there felt, I can only imagine.

Hope they're holding up mate whilst all this is still going on, must be so very hard for everyone closely involved even though it's what we've been fighting for, for so long.

Give them a big  :hug: from me when you next see them.

Thanks Debs appreciate that.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #871: Aug 19, 2013 11:21:55 am
      Police planned to use Hillsborough cash for holidays

Sir Norman Bettison asked for Ā£2000 to refurbish police station reception

South Yorkshire police chiefs wanted to use funds donated in memory of Hillsborough disaster victims to pay for breaks in the sun for their officers, it has emerged.

The ECHO can reveal a holiday flat, microwave ovens for police station kitchens and new gym equipment were on a wish list circulated among senior officers in February 1991.

The majority of the Ā£12m fund had been given to families, survivors and others affected by the disaster, including match stewards at the stadium.

But a significant amount of what were described as ā€œresidualā€ funds remained, and its trustees asked police and other organisations for ideas on how they might be used.

Former Merseyside chief constable Norman Bettison, then a Superintendent based in South Yorkshire Policeā€™s F Division, requested Ā£2,000 to refurbish the reception area of his police station.

Other ideas included new blinds for the forceā€™s casualty bureau and ā€œbetter giftsā€ for officers on sick leave.

The disaster fund included Ā£100,000 from Liverpool FC, as well as money from Liverpool city council and the proceeds of a charity version of Ferry Cross the Mersey featuring Paul McCartney and Gerry Marsden, which was number one for three weeks in May and June, 1989.

Chair of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, Margaret Aspinall, said: ā€œIt is one of the most shocking things Iā€™ve heard in a long time.

ā€œItā€™s not something I was previously aware of and to hear how, even in 1991 when it was clear to everyone that the police were to blame, they were suggesting money should go to them to pay for microwaves and holidays. This really is quite hard to believe, and to hear Bettison suggesting money should go to refurbish a police station is sickening.

ā€œPeople often think all of that money went to the families, but they are wrong. A lot of it went elsewhere. I feel that 96 people died for that money ā€“ and they wanted to use it for new microwaves. Itā€™s despicable.ā€

The proposed holiday flat ā€œeither home or abroadā€ came from Chief Inspector John Donnelly, who was in charge of policing Sheffield city centre on the day of the disaster.

A submission from the forceā€™s D Division asked for gymnasium equipment, including exercise bikes, and microwaves, which it said were ā€œalways being requestedā€ at police stations.

None of the projects are believed to have been approved by the fundā€™s trustees.

In his proposal, Mr Bettison identified the police control room at Hillsborough as being in need of repair, but concluded ā€œthe room is the responsibility of the Sheffield Wednesday Football Club and the police would therefore be deriving no benefit from such a contribution.ā€

He added: ā€œI therefore propose a preferred option that if funds are available then Hammerton Road Police Station, which was used as a reception area for friends and relatives of those who died in the disaster, should benefit.ā€

Sheila Coleman, of the Hillsborough Justice Campaign said: "What makes me feel so angry about this is the fact that I asked the disaster fund would they give a small amount of money for a person who lost a family member at Hillsborough for her bus fares to college for an access course.

ā€œAnd the reply I received was ā€˜No, the families have already had moneyā€™.

ā€œThis shows the contempt authorities had for Hillsborough families and victims. It's disgraceful."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/south-yorkshire-police-wanted-spend-5749493
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #872: Aug 19, 2013 11:44:06 am
      Makes the stomach turn reading the article.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #873: Aug 19, 2013 11:44:54 am
      Police planned to use Hillsborough cash for holidays

Sir Norman Bettison asked for Ā£2000 to refurbish police station reception

South Yorkshire police chiefs wanted to use funds donated in memory of Hillsborough disaster victims to pay for breaks in the sun for their officers, it has emerged.

The ECHO can reveal a holiday flat, microwave ovens for police station kitchens and new gym equipment were on a wish list circulated among senior officers in February 1991.

The majority of the Ā£12m fund had been given to families, survivors and others affected by the disaster, including match stewards at the stadium.

But a significant amount of what were described as ā€œresidualā€ funds remained, and its trustees asked police and other organisations for ideas on how they might be used.

Former Merseyside chief constable Norman Bettison, then a Superintendent based in South Yorkshire Policeā€™s F Division, requested Ā£2,000 to refurbish the reception area of his police station.

Other ideas included new blinds for the forceā€™s casualty bureau and ā€œbetter giftsā€ for officers on sick leave.

The disaster fund included Ā£100,000 from Liverpool FC, as well as money from Liverpool city council and the proceeds of a charity version of Ferry Cross the Mersey featuring Paul McCartney and Gerry Marsden, which was number one for three weeks in May and June, 1989.

Chair of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, Margaret Aspinall, said: ā€œIt is one of the most shocking things Iā€™ve heard in a long time.

ā€œItā€™s not something I was previously aware of and to hear how, even in 1991 when it was clear to everyone that the police were to blame, they were suggesting money should go to them to pay for microwaves and holidays. This really is quite hard to believe, and to hear Bettison suggesting money should go to refurbish a police station is sickening.

ā€œPeople often think all of that money went to the families, but they are wrong. A lot of it went elsewhere. I feel that 96 people died for that money ā€“ and they wanted to use it for new microwaves. Itā€™s despicable.ā€

The proposed holiday flat ā€œeither home or abroadā€ came from Chief Inspector John Donnelly, who was in charge of policing Sheffield city centre on the day of the disaster.

A submission from the forceā€™s D Division asked for gymnasium equipment, including exercise bikes, and microwaves, which it said were ā€œalways being requestedā€ at police stations.

None of the projects are believed to have been approved by the fundā€™s trustees.

In his proposal, Mr Bettison identified the police control room at Hillsborough as being in need of repair, but concluded ā€œthe room is the responsibility of the Sheffield Wednesday Football Club and the police would therefore be deriving no benefit from such a contribution.ā€

He added: ā€œI therefore propose a preferred option that if funds are available then Hammerton Road Police Station, which was used as a reception area for friends and relatives of those who died in the disaster, should benefit.ā€

Sheila Coleman, of the Hillsborough Justice Campaign said: "What makes me feel so angry about this is the fact that I asked the disaster fund would they give a small amount of money for a person who lost a family member at Hillsborough for her bus fares to college for an access course.

ā€œAnd the reply I received was ā€˜No, the families have already had moneyā€™.

ā€œThis shows the contempt authorities had for Hillsborough families and victims. It's disgraceful."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/south-yorkshire-police-wanted-spend-5749493

It really is a shocking thing to say but personally I have become anaesthetised to the outrageous, unethical, contemptuous conduct of that c**t Bettison and the S.Yorkshire police.
      Nothing it seems is beyond them, they remain as they were, a creation of the establishment who strive to evade justice and decency for their own corrupt ends.
      Their lieutenants will fall while the profound evil remains.

Quick Reply