Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Pearl Jam v Nirvana

Read 9163 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Pearl Jam v Nirvana
      Reply #23: Oct 01, 2012 02:43:57 pm
      Ten

1.   "Once"     Stone Gossard   3:51
      2.   "Even Flow"     Gossard   4:53
      3.   "Alive"     Gossard   5:40
      4.   "Why Go"     Jeff Ament   3:19
      5.   "Black"     Gossard   5:44
      6.   "Jeremy"     Ament   5:18
      7.   "Oceans"     Gossard, Ament, Vedder   2:41
      8.   "Porch"     Vedder   3:30
      9.   "Garden"     Gossard, Ament   4:59
      10.   "Deep"     Gossard, Ament   4:18
      11.   "Release"     Gossard, Ament, Dave Krusen, Mike McCready, Vedder   9:05
      12.   "Alive" (live)   Gossard   4:54
      13.   "Wash"     Ament, Gossard, Krusen, McCready, Vedder   3:33
      14.   "Dirty Frank" 

Every song on that album is brilliant.
      What are we stuck with nowadays.
      Some little punks that release one or two songs and we're supposed to believe they are superstars.
      Bollocks.

Vs

1.   "Go"     Dave Abbruzzese [4]   3:12
      2.   "Animal"     Stone Gossard [47]   2:49
      3.   "Daughter"     Gossard [48]   3:55
      4.   "Glorified G"     Gossard, Mike McCready [49]   3:26
      5.   "Dissident"     Gossard, McCready, Jeff Ament [50]   3:35
      6.   "W.M.A."     Abbruzzese, Ament [4]   5:59
      7.   "Blood"     Gossard, McCready [2]   2:50
      8.   "Rearviewmirror"     Vedder [6]   4:44
      9.   "Rats"     Ament [51]   4:15
      10.   "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town"     Vedder [51]   3:15
      11.   "Leash"     Gossard, McCready [2]   3:09
      12.   "Indifference"     Ament, Gossard [6]   5:02
      13.   "Hold On" (acoustic demo)   Vedder   Gossard   4:40
      14.   "Cready Stomp" (instrumental)       McCready   3:23
      15.   "Crazy Mary" 

In two albums Pearl Jam made as many great songs as others could manage in their entire careers.

You spoke about them being unit shifters or radio friendly.  ;)
      The entire point of Vitality and No-Code was against that.
      Vedder's creative revolt against what Pearl Jam had become.

As has been said before Riot Act was a massive political album that saw them get booed onstage for
      the anti-bush masks during Bushleaguer.

Only in their latter days have Pearl Jam become this "mainstream" act they have become accused of.
      Largely because they have mellowed out in their old age but also because they have been so often
      copied. If you set up a band and it becomes a rock and roll template some snobs might write you off.
      Others might just realise you are an often copied, never equalled, rock great.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #24: Oct 01, 2012 03:03:08 pm
      Pearl Jam - Jeremy

Pearl Jam - Alive

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

Two F***ing fantastic bands and better then the sh*t that gets served up to the masses today.
      Glad we grew up with this and not X Factor.

I'll leave it there.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #25: Oct 01, 2012 04:26:08 pm
      You spoke about them being unit shifters or radio friendly.  ;)

Nicely done  8)

Nirvana - Radio Friendly Unit Shifter (HQ)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #26: Oct 01, 2012 04:35:00 pm

I was hoping someone would post the song.
      That's some good team work.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #27: Jan 02, 2013 11:11:15 am
      Who do I like more? I grew out of pearl jam. During those frenzied years I was grabbing anything linked to that movement. Now, soundgarden and Alice in Chains and smashing pumpkins still get played because they just survived the test of time. Nothing contrived.

As for Nirvana .... Seriously. They are up their with chuck berry, miles Davis, Beatles, stones, clash, joy division, pixies, public enemy, Hendrix, the doors and a few others ... They are one of the greats no doubt. F**k musicianship ... A song like dumb may sound simple ... Try and write it for the first time .... Ever. Cobain, novoselic and grohl tapped into something profound.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #28: Jan 11, 2013 02:37:44 pm
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #29: Jan 26, 2013 03:18:29 pm
      I originally liked Mother Love Bone and I even had an old bootleg from Pearl Jam right before Ten was officially released and it had a lot of the "Ten" tracks on it.  So I always liked PJ more than Nirvana. But, I loved Nirvana too. I saw PJ play at Lollapalooza right before they really blew up and became huge and to this day it was one of the most electrifying, raw hard shows I ever saw. I even knew at that time I was watching a band people would talk about in 30 years. It was old school Grunge Pearl Jam. It was amazing.

Compared to Nirvana I thought PJ were tighter and better musicians. Do you know how hard it is to have a debut album where every single song is good. Most great albums have at least 2-3 shitty songs but every song on "Ten" was good. Every one. 

I was very lucky that I was in my late teens and early 20's when all those bands hit and I got to see them all...I had a chance to see Nirvana in NYC and I missed it to go to an ex girlfriends family BBQ.  UUUGGGHHH!!!!!! I am still pissed.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6354 
      Reply #30: May 10, 2013 06:59:10 pm
      As someone else said, Nirvana was my "gateway" into "grunge" music, but Pearl Jam is the drug I'm still hooked on.

Nirvana did some cool things but Kurt was a bit of a knuckle head and his lyrics in my mind and the musical composition are elementary compared to what Pearl Jam has done.

I've seen Pearl Jam 5 times and their shows are unbelievable. Every one of the band members has had at least one other side band, they are all talented musicians and writers and when they play together it's almost like an all-star team.

Me personally, there are zero bands I will listen to BEFORE Pearl Jam and that includes some of the "greats" as well.

The amazing thing about this band as well.....my favorite album of their's used to be a toss up between Ten and Binaural but I actually think that Backspacer is the best work they've done to date. That album is so incredibly tight musically and lyrically it's almost like it was genetically engineered. They just seem to get better with age.

Just an immense, unreal band.

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #31: May 10, 2013 08:41:51 pm
      The amazing thing about this band as well.....my favorite album of their's used to be a toss up between Ten and Binaural but I actually think that Backspacer is the best work they've done to date. That album is so incredibly tight musically and lyrically it's almost like it was genetically engineered. They just seem to get better with age.

I know what you mean about Backspacer. I tend to compare all Pearl Jam album releases to Ten and VS so they don't always hit me straight away. I had Backspacer ripped onto a PC at work though so listened to it several times in the absence of much else and it just grew and grew on me. I regard it as something of a masterpiece now.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #32: May 10, 2013 08:50:39 pm
      This debate is up again. ;)

Definitely Nirvana for me. Don't dislike Pearl Jam, but Nirvana did a pretty good amount in a short period of time where as I feel like Pearl Jam in that same period of time did less and over the years have left something to be desired.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #33: May 10, 2013 09:36:31 pm
      As someone else said, Nirvana was my "gateway" into "grunge" music, but Pearl Jam is the drug I'm still hooked on.

Nirvana did some cool things but Kurt was a bit of a knuckle head and his lyrics in my mind and the musical composition are elementary compared to what Pearl Jam has done.

I've seen Pearl Jam 5 times and their shows are unbelievable. Every one of the band members has had at least one other side band, they are all talented musicians and writers and when they play together it's almost like an all-star team.

Me personally, there are zero bands I will listen to BEFORE Pearl Jam and that includes some of the "greats" as well.

Just an immense, unreal band.

I know what you mean about Backspacer. I tend to compare all Pearl Jam album releases to Ten and VS so they don't always hit me straight away. I had Backspacer ripped onto a PC at work though so listened to it several times in the absence of much else and it just grew and grew on me. I regard it as something of a masterpiece now.

That's funny. I'm not very keen on Backspace. But I really like Avocado, which apparently a lot of PJ fans don't like, so go figure.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6354 
      Reply #34: May 10, 2013 10:15:55 pm

Indeed, the you don't want to listen to it on Random, need to listen start to finish and it's almost like the equivalent of reading a book musically if that makes sense. Nothing to do with the lyrics, just the music itself, the ebb and flow is perfect and the album just feels like one long performance.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6354 
      Reply #35: May 10, 2013 10:18:53 pm
      That's funny. I'm not very keen on Backspace. But I really like Avocado, which apparently a lot of PJ fans don't like, so go figure.

Any PJ fans that don't like Avocado need to just give up. That album is great. Riot Act probably my least favorite due to the rampant political overtones, but even saying least favorite, that album is still good and there are some great songs on there. I Am Mine being one of my favorite, especially to play on the guitar.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #36: May 12, 2013 10:28:11 am
      Avocado?
      Brilliant.

Was that not self titled?
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #37: May 12, 2013 11:57:07 am
      Avocado?
      Brilliant.

Was indeed. It's much like Metallica's eponymous album being known as The Black Album.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #38: May 12, 2013 08:19:57 pm
      Avocado?
      Brilliant.

Was indeed. It's much like Metallica's eponymous album being known as The Black Album.

The Beatles' "White Album" is actually named "The Beatles" and so on.

Quick Reply