Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

The "self pity city" tag

Read 9362 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,143 posts | 2777 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      The "self pity city" tag
      Sep 12, 2012 09:14:23 pm
      The tag flung upon Liverpool. A name that sickens me to the pit of my stomach and Im not even a scouser. A name used far too often about Liverpudlians in general and way too often regarding the fight for justice for the 96.

Well now that the truth is revealed I hope that those who flung this phrase about are ashamed, embarrassed, regretful and sorry that they used it.

What the people of Liverpool have proven is that if you never give up the fight and never stop believing in the truth that you can win your fight. The people of liverpool proved what stickin together, sticking by your own is the only way to achieve your goal.

23 years. They never gave up. Im proud to be associated with the club so proud that I know people from the city and so lucky to have been regularly in a city of genuine and wonderful people.

I salute you all for what you have done and will continue to do.

Y.N.W.A

Liverpool "The stick together and dont give up city"
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Re: The "self pity city" tag
      Reply #1: Sep 12, 2012 09:47:21 pm
      Well said mate, very well said.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,143 posts | 2777 
      Reply #2: Sep 12, 2012 10:32:50 pm
      Maybe some could upload Pete Wylie "Heart as big as Liverpool" in here? Cheers
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #3: Sep 12, 2012 10:38:58 pm
      Maybe some could upload Pete Wylie "Heart as big as Liverpool" in here? Cheers

HEART AS BIG AS LIVERPOOL [THE MIGHTY WAH]

;)

Great OP and well said.

The people of Liverpool can be proud of who they are and what they have achieved in fighting for the truth to be exposed.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,143 posts | 2777 
      Reply #4: Sep 12, 2012 10:41:53 pm
      HEART AS BIG AS LIVERPOOL [THE MIGHTY WAH]

;)

Great OP and well said.

The people of Liverpool can be proud of who they are and what they have achieved in fighting for the truth to be exposed.

Thank you mate
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Sep 12, 2012 11:26:31 pm
      Brian. Mate as much as the opening post was fantastic, the label 'self pity city' has no place on this forum.

Its not having a go at you mate, because the Op was excellent, just were not self pity and should never be labelled as such, I nearly threw away 13 yeatrs of my life away for the *nne Williams petition.

If any one remembers I threw aroun 14-16 hours a day of my life into that and my missus couldn't understand why I was spending so much of my time throwing myself into it than concentrating on my own relationship/life/child, she actually threatened to leave me.

It wasn't about self pity, it was about Justice and doing the right thing, I cried real tears explaining to her how I'd feel if it had been our Lewis, bearing in mind he'd have been a similar age to me when I witnessed first hand the Hilsobrough tragedy.

Our relationship hs grown since then as I think she understands my morals and porinciples more than ever, but its not about self pity, its about justice and the truth and the title, even tongue in cheek mate has no place on a Liverpool forum as we all know wht were fighting for regardless of what were labelled.

HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #6: Sep 12, 2012 11:34:41 pm

More than happy to oblige.  ;)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,143 posts | 2777 
      Reply #7: Sep 13, 2012 07:47:59 am
      Brian. Mate as much as the opening post was fantastic, the label 'self pity city' has no place on this forum.

The label has no place anywhere nor should it ever had. My reasons for bringing it up are exactly that, it should never be a phrase coined again and that those who were happy to use it should now be feeling ashamed.

A disgraceful tag to put upon a wonderful city and its great people.

LFCexiled
      Reply #8: Sep 13, 2012 08:06:21 am
      Along with 'always the victim' it deserves to be consigned to the bin as so much newspaper originated 'terms' should be, it did in fact come after Jamie Bulgers murder though and was perpetuated and used mostly as a stick by football fans.

As with other 'terms' invented by journalists they have to be spoken about so as to educate before they can disappear, ignoring them as reality will only perpetuate them in the psyche of the more ignorant (see: chelsea fans).

Jonathan Margolis: Liverpool I love you

Fifteen years ago this month, I was foolish enough to provoke a public fallout with nearly half a million people - the entire population of Liverpool.

I was writing in a Sunday paper about the distressing aftermath of the Jamie Bulger murder case when the phrase "self pity" tripped off my keyboard.

A headline writer coined the phrase Self Pity City - and it entered the language.

It wasn't just the anger of Liverpudlians that rocked me, but the response of many liberal left-wing people elsewhere who complimented me for "sticking it to those whingeing Scousers".

"It's not like that," I'd bleat. But the thing built up its own malign momentum, exposing a quite shocking anti-Scouse racism.

Over the past few months though, friends in Liverpool - I still have a few - have been eager for me to come up and "see if you notice a few changes to the old place."

To be honest, all the stuff I'd read about urban regeneration and the fact that Liverpool has been crowned European Capital of Culture 2008 sounded like so much boring official-ese.

But what I discovered here is utterly stunning. Trust me, they're building one of the modern wonders of the world beside that grey, choppy old Mersey.

So much for Self Pity City, for shellsuits, for "calm down, calm down" and jokes about Scousers nicking your hubcaps. What's happening here is real.

And it's going to take the world by surprise.

The rebuil ding of Liverpool is costing more than £5billion partly from EU funds, but mostly private money.

It's the biggest project of its kind anywhere, and there are plans to spend another £50bn turning the whole of Merseyside into what I believe will be Britain's second city by the middle of the century.

Every corner you turn, however far you walk, has some glorious old structure being restored, and to a stupendous standard.

Then there's the new building. Not just a new mall or two but an entire city engaged in an orgy of fantastical modern architecture, the likes of which doesn't exist anywhere else. You can walk for half an hour here and still be surrounded by construction on a monumental scale.

Across the city, as far as the eye can see, are cranes. Whole streets are being built. Astonishing new structures at strange, striking experimental angles accost you every corner you turn. That waterfront, the one with the Liver Birds building, is going to end up as beautiful as Sydney's if it's not careful.

But buildings need people, business and a culture to match, and boy does the new Liverpool have all three. The place oozes confidence and prosperity.

My friends Ajmail and Sudarghara Dusanj, Punjabi Sikhs from Kent came here a few years ago to try to breathe life into a dead Victorian brewery, Cains.

Ajmail bought another 150 pubs, won a load more real ale awards, become one of the most successful brands in Britain, increased the workforce from 100 to 1,000 - a typical Liverpool story.

Any problems with the workers? "You're kidding. They're a fantastic team. Brilliant employees," Ajmail says. And it's a little known fact that you and your hubcaps are safer in Liverpool than in much of the rest of Britain.

Across a range of crimes, from violence to burglary to bike theft, Merseyside is safer than Bedfordshire, Somerset, Devon and Cornwall and North Yorkshire. Violent crime is 32 per cent lower than in bloody Hampshire, for goodness sake!

And culture? I've never seen so much of the stuff in one relatively small city. It's almost ridiculous, bewildering.

Community? Whatever you want, Liverpool has it.

What you notice here above all is how much people just love their city. That doesn't happen a lot these days.

Oh yes, and poetic, cultural Liverpool is becoming a major tourist destination again. The cruise liners are returning. A flash new cruise terminal is almost finished and 38 cruises bringing in US and Japanese tourists are already booked this year.

With tourist hordes in mind, someone has opened the Hard Days Night Beatles theme hotel, where I'm writing this.

It's actually not tacky at all, even if all day and night Beatles music in the public areas is enough to drive even a fan to want to stick on a Stones album instead.

Some will wonder if Liverpool is trying to squeeze a bit too much out of the Beatles legend. On the other hand, what a legend it is.

As Ricky Tomlinson himself, who lives in one of the smart new apartments on the waterfront, would say: "Self Pity City, my arse."
      BirkenshawBantam
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts |
      Reply #9: Sep 13, 2012 08:18:16 am
      Been a supporter of a club that has also gone through tragedy in the 80s I can unequivocally say the way Liverpool fans as a whole have behaved has been nothing but dignified.

23 years of not been able to say who or what was responsible for the deaths of 96 innocent people must be one of the most heart breaking and frustrating things a human being can go by, that tied in with the vicious lies from that paper.

How anybody can turn tragedy and mourning into a slur against Liverpool is a very callous and vicious person, the City of Liverpool has been nothing but dignified for 23 years in the search for closure and justice.

Now that they have been given closure I hope an element of justice is served on those who lied and those responsible.

I think I speak from all at Bradford City when I that You'll Never Walk Alone.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10: Sep 13, 2012 01:14:11 pm
      HIstory has always been hard on us. For hundreds of years we have been a very independant place with our own way of thinking and our own way of doing things.We have never conformed and this has pissed many people off over many years.We dont take kindly to being told what to do.
      We dont ask for help we help our own we help each other and if thats seen as arrogance so be it.
      The self pity tag is a joke because we know that the only people we can rely on is our family our neighbours and our friends, we have long given up on expecting Gov.or authorities to do the right thing by us.
      So keep the insults coming they have been around for a long time and they run off us like water of a ducks back as long as we continue to support each other then we dont really need anyone else thanks .
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #11: Sep 14, 2012 04:10:27 pm
      HIstory has always been hard on us. For hundreds of years we have been a very independant place with our own way of thinking and our own way of doing things.We have never conformed and this has pissed many people off over many years.We dont take kindly to being told what to do.
      We dont ask for help we help our own we help each other and if thats seen as arrogance so be it.
      The self pity tag is a joke because we know that the only people we can rely on is our family our neighbours and our friends, we have long given up on expecting Gov.or authorities to do the right thing by us.
      So keep the insults coming they have been around for a long time and they run off us like water of a ducks back as long as we continue to support each other then we dont really need anyone else thanks .

I'm not trying to take away from the people of Liverpool when I say this, but I think the huge Irish influence on the city is something that should be considered. Of course it exists in other cities, but not to the same extent.
      It's the same indomitable will, the humour, the refusal to lie down or go away quietly that exists in Irish culture.

Of course those qualities have morphed somewhat and made Liverpool a truly unique city that deserves better than the treatment meted out over the years.

Quick Reply