Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Sir Norman Bettison - Petition To Resign

Read 16083 times
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Re: Sir Norman Bettison - Petition To Resign
      Reply #23: Oct 05, 2012 04:59:32 pm
      That is exactly why. As soon as the findings were released, the Police force were quick to point out that their team now is very different to the one they had at the time of the disaster. Bettison will have been given a huge nudge towards retirement so that he can be filed under "The Past" when prosecutions (hopefully) occur. To have somebody still in office when prosecuted for such offenses would be far more damaging to their image.
      Being allowed to retire rather than resign was probably the sweetener.

Think you are spot on there Rep.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #24: Oct 05, 2012 05:20:10 pm
      That is exactly why. As soon as the findings were released, the Police force were quick to point out that their team now is very different to the one they had at the time of the disaster. Bettison will have been given a huge nudge towards retirement so that he can be filed under "The Past" when prosecutions (hopefully) occur. To have somebody still in office when prosecuted for such offenses would be far more damaging to their image.
      Being allowed to retire rather than resign was probably the sweetener.

That, in a nutshell was the reasoning behind the question.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #25: Oct 06, 2012 08:37:51 am
      Merseyside taxpayers will pay Norman Bettison’s annual £88,000 pension

by David Bartlett, Liverpool EchoOct 6 2012

SIR NORMAN BETTISON’S pension will be paid by Merseyside taxpayers – “rubbing more salt in the wounds” of Hillsborough families.

The ECHO can also reveal he was handed a £60,000 pay rise by his bosses in West Yorkshire when Merseyside Police refused to pay his pension in 2007.

His £225,000 salary in West Yorkshire makes him one of the best paid police chiefs in the country.

He has earned more than £1m since taking the job on the other side of the Pennines.

But when he retires in March – a decision announced on Thursday having effectively being forced out after revelations in the Hillsborough Independent Panel report – his pension will have to be paid by Merseyside Police.

Mr Bettison was chief constable of Merseyside between 1998 and 2004, and will be entitled to an annual pension estimated at £88,000 – two thirds of his £134,000 salary when he left.

Merseyside Police Authority chairman Cllr Bill Weightman said the force had no choice – but if convicted of any crime in relation to the Hillsborough disaster an application could be made to the Home Office to strip Mr Bettison of 65% of his pension.

Margaret Aspinall, chair of Hillsborough Family Support Group, said: “This is a disgrace, the more and more I hear, the more I am shocked.”

Sheila Coleman, of the Hillsborough Justice Campaign, said: “Talk about rubbing salt in the wounds.

“The families have paid a high price in their pursuit of the truth, Mr Bettison is just paid a high price.”

Mr Bettison denies any wrongdoing, but said his planned retirement in March will allow the Independent Police Complaints Commission to carry out their investigation into his conduct.

His contract was due to run until 2015, but West Yorkshire Police authority effectively lost confidence in Mr Bettison after the panel highlighted his role in the aftermath of the 1989 disaster.

Mr Bettison left Merseyside in 2004 to become chief executive of Centrex, the private company responsible for training the country’s fledgling officers, and became entitled to an annual pension estimated at £88,000.

But when in January 2007 he returned to regular policing as Chief Constable of West Yorkshire, on a salary of £153,000, Merseyside police refused to pay his pension.

This sparked a legal battle with Mr Bettison as he attempted to secure a pay-and-pension deal of about £240,000.

After threatening to take Merseyside Police to the High Court to secure his pension payments, he backed down when it became clear he could not win.

In May 2007 West Yorkshire Police Authority made a “locally agreed package” with Mr Bettison and gave him a £60,000 pay rise.

During his time at West Yorkshire Mr Bettison has not been entitled to accrue any more pension entitlements.

Merseyside Police Authority chairman Cllr Bill Weightman revealed that Mr Bettison was forced into a retreat in his fight with the authority over his pension.

“He threatened us with a judicial review. We had the backing of the Home Office so he backed down.

“There is no doubt we would have won and it would have been very expensive for him.”

Cllr Weightman said Merseyside would become responsible for paying his pension once more when he retires in March.

But he said whoever becomes Merseyside’s first Police and Crime Commissioner in November (an election that will see the end of the police authority) should look at docking his pension if Mr Bettison is ever found guilty of a crime in relation to Hillsborough.

“The commissioner will be able to apply for an order to take away 65% of his pension if that happened.”

Cllr Weightman became chairman of Merseyside Police Authority in 2004, months before Mr Bettison’s departure.

He added: “I never liked him. He had a style which was ‘I am chief constable and I do what I want to do’. It was a constant fight.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/2012/10/06/merseyside-taxpayers-will-pay-norman-bettison-s-annual-88-000-pension-100252-31977916/
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #26: Oct 06, 2012 09:48:48 am
      Bettison has earned £1m in past five years

by David Bartlett, Liverpool EchoOct 6 2012

SIR NORMAN BETTISON has earned more than £1m in the five years he has run West Yorkshire Police.

Analysis of West Yorkshire Police Authority’s accounts show that one un-named individual was paid between £210,000 and £219,000 in the 2007/08 financial year.

Accounts for the following year name Mr Bettison as the top earning officer at West Yorkshire with a pay packet of £212,447.

His pay now stands at £225,000 – making him one of the highest paid police officers in the country behind Metropolitan Police Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe, who earns £260,000.

In comparison Merseyside chief constable Jon Murphy’s salary is £155,000.

This is despite the fact that official government pay scales for police officers in England set the pay level for West Yorkshire’s top police officer at £169,359 – £55,000 less than Mr Bettison’s actual pay.

In a statement West Yorkshire Police Authority said: “This package is unique to Sir Norman Bettison and reflects his exceptional experience and abilities, his significant national responsibilities and the exceptional demands currently placed upon the force and it’s Chief Constable.

“In agreeing the package the Authority was mindful that the circumstances of Sir Norman’s appointment were very unusual, if not unique.

“Having previously retired from the police service Sir Norman was unable to participate in the Police Pension Scheme.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2012/10/06/bettison-has-earned-1m-in-past-five-years-100252-31977913/
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #27: Oct 06, 2012 11:49:24 am
      As it stands his ''retirement'' means absolutely F**k all, if no further action were taken it is purely a cosmetic gesture after 23 years of lying and deceit.
      Surely to Christ his conduct relating to Hillsborough as well as being morally corrupt and indefensible was highly illegal, subsequently he was profoundly unqualified to perform the duties he was charged with in the same period.
      He will eventually appear in a court of law to answer for his actions and be crucified.
      edit: how I wish that were not a metaphore.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #28: Oct 08, 2012 10:12:16 pm
      Spot on stuey.

Just seen this article from a few days ago, nothing new but keeping the b***ard in the public eye:

Teachers hold protest against under-fire Hillsborough police chief Sir Norman Bettison outside West Yorkshire force HQ

John SiddleOct 1 2012

Norman Bettison

PROTESTS were held outside the West Yorkshire headquarters of under-fire police chief Sir Norman Bettison.More than 60 people campaigned outside Leeds Millgarth station calling on Mr Bettison to be stripped of his knighthood and dismissed from the force.

The former Merseyside chief constable is the most senior police officer involved with South Yorkshire polices discredited Hillsborough operation still in service.

Steve Hafford, from Wirral NUT, was among a number of local trade union members to join members of the public at the peaceful protest.

He said: We wanted to show our solidarity with the families of the 96 but also to show our anger that Bettison is still in charge of West Yorkshire police.

He should never have been allowed to become the chief constable of Merseyside.

The protest started at 3.06pm on Saturday the time when tragedy struck at the Leppings Lane terraces on April 15, 1989.

The independent police complaints commission (IPCC) is currently investigating Mr Bettisons role in the cover-up. He insists he has nothing to hide.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/2012/10/01/teachers-hold-protest-against-under-fire-hillsborough-police-chief-sir-norman-bettison-outside-west-yorkshire-force-hq-100252-31943731/
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #29: Oct 10, 2012 04:18:03 pm
      Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes
      The IPCC says Bettison's retirement makes it unlikely he'll face any disciplinary action over Hillsborough. Absolute joke.

The c**t is going to get off.  :roll:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #30: Oct 10, 2012 05:14:49 pm
      Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes
      The IPCC says Bettison's retirement makes it unlikely he'll face any disciplinary action over Hillsborough. Absolute joke.

The c**t is going to get off.  :roll:

Actually no, it means the Police themselves won't be bringing any charges, doesn't mean he won't face criminal prosecutions.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #31: Oct 11, 2012 12:35:51 am
      Actually no, it means the Police themselves won't be bringing any charges, doesn't mean he won't face criminal prosecutions.

Yes of course, you are correct.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #32: Oct 11, 2012 10:07:35 am
      Correct of course Debs, the Police Federation (read the establishment) are still attempting to cloak the corruption of 23 years - they have no other modus operandi and are unable to adjust when their deceit is exposed.
      Playing them at their own game and using HM Court Of Law will strip away the tiers of lies, one by one they will fall.   
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #33: Oct 11, 2012 10:18:22 am
      Correct of course Debs, the Police Federation (read the establishment) are still attempting to cloak the corruption of 23 years - they have no other modus operandi and are unable to adjust when their deceit is exposed.
      Playing them at their own game and using HM Court Of Law will strip away the tiers of lies, one by one they will fall.   

They have nowhere to hide Stuey.  Bet they feel like those people exposed years after when cold case files are reopened.

Bless 'em, they all thought they'd got away with it  :D
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #34: Oct 11, 2012 08:55:12 pm
      They have nowhere to hide Stuey.  Bet they feel like those people exposed years after when cold case files are reopened.

Bless 'em, they all thought they'd got away with it  :D

The thing that's getting my blood boiling Debs is I have no faith in the system and I can see the top brass getting clean away with their terrible crimes.  I so hope I'm wrong.  There can be no let-up in spilling the beans on those responsible.  Let's keep them in the public eye, don't let people forget.

The people of Merseyside will be paying F***ing Bettison's pension when he retires.  That is mind-blowing.  I still can't believe that.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #35: Oct 11, 2012 09:03:05 pm
      The thing that's getting my blood boiling Debs is I have no faith in the system and I can see the top brass getting clean away with their terrible crimes.  I so hope I'm wrong.  There can be no let-up in spilling the beans on those responsible.  Let's keep them in the public eye, don't let people forget.

The people of Merseyside will be paying f**king Bettison's pension when he retires.  That is mind-blowing.  I still can't believe that.

I get what you're saying Lyn but I don't think any of them will be allowed to now.  The country, especially those who don't follow football, were rightly outraged that this happened and how long we'd fought to unveil it all.  We won't give up now, the war hasn't been won yet.

Hopefully Bettison won't have a pension once he's convicted.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #36: Oct 11, 2012 09:19:31 pm
      I get what you're saying Lyn but I don't think any of them will be allowed to now.  The country, especially those who don't follow football, were rightly outraged that this happened and how long we'd fought to unveil it all.  We won't give up now, the war hasn't been won yet.

Hopefully Bettison won't have a pension once he's convicted.

Pray you are right Debs.

People who aren't involved forget quickly and it isn't at the forefront of their minds.  I was talking to a bloke in work today, and he asked what my wristband was for (thanks Cas!!).  When I told him it was for the 96, I had to expand when he hadn't a clue and he then said "oh yeah, that was shocking" like it was done and dusted.

He was appalled at what has happened, but it's not a prerogative for him.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #37: Oct 11, 2012 09:28:37 pm
      Pray you are right Debs.

People who aren't involved forget quickly and it isn't at the forefront of their minds.  I was talking to a bloke in work today, and he asked what my wristband was for (thanks Cas!!).  When I told him it was for the 96, I had to expand when he hadn't a clue and he then said "oh yeah, that was shocking" like it was done and dusted.

He was appalled at what has happened, but it's not a prerogative for him.

I've found the opposite where I am hun.  Whichever way we must make sure we keep the pressure on until the very last one get's done.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #38: Oct 11, 2012 09:38:07 pm
      I've found the opposite where I am hun.  Whichever way we must make sure we keep the pressure on until the very last one get's done.

You're not far from Liverpool are you Debs?  I'm down in London where the revelations were met with abject horror and disgust at first, but are no longer in peoples minds, until they are reminded.

As long as those who were responsible are kept in the general public's mind then we have a much better chance of justice being done.

JFT96.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #39: Oct 11, 2012 09:45:20 pm
      You're not far from Liverpool are you Debs?  I'm down in London where the revelations were met with abject horror and disgust at first, but are no longer in peoples minds, until they are reminded.

As long as those who were responsible are kept in the general public's mind then we have a much better chance of justice being done.

JFT96.

I live in Yorkshire but work just outside Wigan hun.  I work as a hairdresser so I do my bit everyday to keep this in the public eye  ;)
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #40: Oct 11, 2012 09:49:26 pm
      I live in Yorkshire but work just outside Wigan hun.  I work as a hairdresser so I do my bit everyday to keep this in the public eye  ;)

Well in hun!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #41: Oct 13, 2012 09:06:55 am
      Hillsborough officer Sir Norman Bettison 'should be suspended'

The chief constable of West Yorkshire Police - an inspector in South Yorkshire at the time of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster - should be suspended, a Merseyside MP has said.

Maria Eagle spoke after the Independent Police Commission announced an inquiry into the policing of the tragedy.

She said she was surprised Sir Norman Bettison - whose conduct is being probed by the IPCC - was not suspended.

Sir Norman, who is retiring in March, has said he has "nothing to hide".

He has been referred to the IPCC over allegations he provided misleading information after the tragedy.

And he is under investigation for allegations that he "attempted to influence the decision-making process of the West Yorkshire Police Authority in connection with the referral that they had made".

Statement apology

He had faced calls to resign following the Independent Hillsborough Panel Report into the tragedy which laid bare a police cover-up attempting to shift the blame onto victims.

He then released a statement last month in which he said: "Fans' behaviour, to the extent that it was relevant at all, made the job of the police, in the crush outside Leppings Lane turnstiles, harder than it needed to be."

He apologised a day later, saying Liverpool fans were "in no way to blame" for the disaster and that he was sorry if he had "caused any further upset".

Earlier this month he announced he planned to retire on 31 March and he hoped his decision would "enable the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) to fully investigate allegations that have been raised about my integrity".

Ms Eagle, Labour MP for Garston and Halewood, told BBC News she was concerned that "when he retires, because he was chief constable of Merseyside at one point, people of Merseyside, including the bereaved families and those who've been traumatised on the day, will be paying his pension, through our council tax".

"Now that's not something that I think is right," she added.

She said she would be taking the issue up with the home secretary.

Andy Burnham, Labour MP for Leigh in Greater Manchester said retirement "shouldn't be a route to escape full accountability".

He said it was "a matter for the investigating authorities" to decide whether Sir Norman should continue in his role while the inquiry is ongoing.

"There was an orchestrated campaign to blame the victims and survivors of a terrible tragedy. We now know that to be true and there has to be full accountability for that," he said.

'Carried the ghost'

On Friday, the IPCC police watchdog said it would look at whether there was a criminal cover-up by South Yorkshire Police of failings by the force.

Last month's report revealed 164 police statements were altered - 116 of them to remove or change negative comments about the policing of the FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at the Sheffield stadium.

Both serving and former officers would be investigated, the IPCC said.

Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer, meanwhile, said a separate inquiry would also review evidence relating to how the fans died, which could lead to charges of manslaughter through gross negligence.

Martin Harding, a retired police superintendent involved in other investigations of police forces, told the BBC: "We won't know the full picture until we speak to every single person who was involved on the day, at the scene and at the periphery."

Many police officers "have carried the ghost" of Hillsborough with them, he said, and want the officers responsible for the cover-up brought to justice.

Pete Weatherby QC, the lawyer representing many of the Hillsborough families, said his clients welcomed the investigation but were sceptical "after 23 years of failed enquiries".

"The families should be involved and kept updated about it. That is probably the remaining concern about it. It may be the biggest investigation in the IPCC history, but it needs to be the best also," he added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19934892
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #42: Oct 13, 2012 10:11:13 am
      The confirmed liar that Bettison is has held office for 23 years; it could quite possibly be said that his elevated ranking in the force was due to the fact that he did indeed keep schtum about the lies and corruption inherant in the Hillsborough investigation.
      Is it not blindingly obvious that he was profoundly unsuitable for any post in the police force at whatever level by his actions in the Hillsborough conspiracy from day 1, the very fact that he has been promoted to his present status is nothing short of a miracle.
      Consequently whoever has the power to appoint chief constables (the lying variety) is also culpable, the next tier of control of course is political and make no mistake the orders would have come from the very top - which is why the truth has been suppressed for 23 F***ing years.   
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #43: Oct 23, 2012 07:58:55 pm
      Bettison 'must go now' over Hillsborough says former police authority head

West Yorkshire Chief Constable Sir Norman Bettison should stand down now, according to the man who chaired his police authority until a fortnight ago.

Mark Burns-Williamson resigned as chairman of the West Yorkshire Police Authority on 7 October to stand in the forthcoming Police and Crime Commissioner elections.

Today, he said Sir Norman should go in the light of new information about his role in the aftermath of the Hillsborough disaster.

Mr Burns-Williamson was referring to shadow transport secretary Maria Eagle's claims, made in the Commons yesterday, that Sir Norman revealed he had been asked to help "concoct" South Yorkshire Police's version of events.

She used parliamentary privilege to make the allegations which were based on new evidence from a witness who discussed the disaster with Sir Norman.

Ms Eagle, a Merseyside MP, alleged Sir Norman was behind a "black propaganda" campaign.

Mr Burns-Williamson, who is now Labour's candidate to become West Yorkshire Police & Crime Commissioner, said: "In light of the new evidence given in Parliament yesterday I feel Sir Norman Bettison should stand down now in the best interests of West Yorkshire Police."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/bettison-must-go-now-over-hillsborough-says-former-police-authority-head-8223274.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #44: Oct 23, 2012 08:03:53 pm
      Was just about to post that myself mate.  It's imperative that new legislation is passed so that this b***ard can be prosecuted even if he is retired.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #45: Oct 23, 2012 08:10:17 pm
      Was just about to post that myself mate.  It's imperative that new legislation is passed so that this b***ard can be prosecuted even if he is retired.

Agreed.

The Home Secretary has said that emergency legislation can be passed which would cover this.

Quick Reply