Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Sunderland 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Groans

Read 23642 times
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Re: Sunderland 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Groans
      Reply #575: Sep 16, 2012 02:58:26 pm
      I must confess I'm surprised by the negativity on here. I thought we played well, we hit the woodwork twice, they barely had a shot and we absolutely dominated the game from start to finish. Clearly we are far from the finished article, but people "whispering it quietly" after the manager has had four league games in charge doesn't bode well.

I thought Gerrard was excellent and bossed it in contrast to most on here, Allen wasn't as good as he has been but was OK. Defensively apart from the goal we were solid, while up top we created enough chances to have won it by a couple of goals. Sterling continues to impress and I though both Shelvey and Borini did quite well too. We'd have had a penalty on a different day, and all this against a team who are very hard to play against at Home.

I think it's reality check time for us at the moment. We've got a squad which is probably at best good enough to finish in the top half, and we've got players such as Downing, Henderson and Carroll who we are going to have to have to  take a monumentous loss on cluttering up the bench/loan system. We've got a talismanic captain who is going to have to re-define the way he plays, and we've got a manager who is trying to instill a completely new sytem. It's going to take more than four matches, or four months even. I'd hope to be playing very good football at some point before the end of the season, but it might even take longer than that.

Why so long? Well if the manager was given 100 million quid to go out and buy Alonso, Jovatic, Ben Arfa etc etc it would probably take a lot less time. He hasn't been given anything like that kind of money however, infact arguably he hasn't been given any money whatsoever. I absolutely urge fans to look at things hyper realistically and rejoice when we see progress. There are going to be some dark days ahead but equally, given time and support I am convinced that Brendan Rogers will get us to where we can realistically hope to be. 

That's it. Fantastic post.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #577: Sep 16, 2012 04:56:05 pm
      Was I the only one that took an awful long time to get into the game? I'm not sure if it was the the kit-clashes, which were awful, or the first few minutes of the broken play or everything that happened during the week. I just found it difficult to get into at the start.

The start was not the best, we had a few chances alright but still an awful lot of passes went astray and even Joe Allen was getting caught in possession, which was weird!

We grew into the game which was positive and I think the second half was a great example of what Rodgers describes as 'death by football'. we absolutely battered them on the bi*ch. Dominated, attack after attack. We were unlucky to only get the one goal to be fair now. They had very little shots, I can only remember the 1 to be honest. Even when they brought on pacey subs, they couldnt catch us on the break, such was our dominance on the ball in midfield.

I think that the inclusion of both Downing and Sterling on the pitch at both times can only help Downing and I think he did ok last night. When defenders have 2 pacey widemen to deal with, they won't know which side to be inclined to shadow more, and bringing on pace like Downings against tired legs was a good sub. Maybe we could have brought Sahin on for a bit more energy in the middle of the park, but Shelvey certainly has the penetrative  side in him that we also needed.

A decent result I think. A point away to Sunderland. I'll take it. Not many teams will come away from there with 3 points.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #578: Sep 16, 2012 05:24:43 pm
      Oops...

I'd two tabs open at once... this was meant for "what are you listening to now" thread. Please feel free to move it mods - I was wondering where the F**k that had went.   ;D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #579: Sep 16, 2012 05:34:42 pm
      Jaysus i know im the forum number 1 hate figure but F**k me i make a simple observation which anyone with a clue about football knows from history and you jump down my throat. I cant win with some people

I fail to see how he was jumping down your throat there, Corbally. I suggest you have a little rest from posting for a bit mate. You're coming across to me like a bit overly sensitive - going on about being the forum hate figure and all that jazz.

As for the point of Sterling, I can't see how regular games at the moment is doing him any harm. As long as he's looked after and guided well off the pitch, he'll be alright for now. That's what I think. He played really well yesterday.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #580: Sep 16, 2012 06:00:33 pm
      Agreed that the amount we rely on Sterling already is shocking. It's ok for a few games but right now he really looks like close to the only real threat.

Hopefully BR plays the youngsters on Thursday (ironic given the opposition). I am feeling positive that Suso will get his full debut.

This was our best performance of the season. Our old friend the post came back :(
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #581: Sep 16, 2012 06:11:29 pm
      I disagree redkenny about sterling think we have to be careful with him he is 17 and still developing. He has excellent potential but playing him regularly now will effect him in the future.

We cannot be reliant on a 17 year old. That is not moaning as I was accused of but common sense. We as a club have experience why.

You'd be as sensitive as me if you'd be on the end of some of the sh*te I have on here.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #582: Sep 16, 2012 06:18:48 pm
      I disagree redkenny about sterling think we have to be careful with him he is 17 and still developing. He has excellent potential but playing him regularly now will effect him in the future.

We cannot be reliant on a 17 year old. That is not moaning as I was accused of but common sense. We as a club have experience why.

You'd be as sensitive as me if you'd be on the end of some of the sh*te I have on here.

Sterling plays well. He played a part in the equaliser, he enjoys what he does and does not try to overdo anything. I can name players in the top flight who started at that "tender" age that are still doing so well mate.

He deserves a start ahead of whoever he's been benching.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #583: Sep 16, 2012 06:21:05 pm
      Watched the game on espn,really frustrated in the first half as we squandered half chances, personally Glen Johnson was the best player on our side, and for me there were signs that we are playing better ( second half ) I would like to see all of our signings play and not just warm the bench
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #584: Sep 16, 2012 06:29:32 pm
      Sterling plays well. He played a part in the equaliser, he enjoys what he does and does not try to overdo anything. I can name players in the top flight who started at that "tender" age that are still doing so well mate.

Who and don't say giggs Ferguson had him in and out till at least 19 as did Wenger with fabergas.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #585: Sep 16, 2012 06:34:06 pm
      Giggs played 51 games in 1991/92 season which was his first full season and he was a year older.

Giggs was constantly played as a teenager but he was always removed from the Wales squad
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #586: Sep 16, 2012 06:43:11 pm
      Was he not plagued with injury in his early 20s
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #587: Sep 16, 2012 06:47:22 pm
      Going by his stats an injury he has had doesn't seem to have been serious enough for him to miss large parts of the season. Playing over 40 games in each season in the 90's bar one when he played 39 games
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #588: Sep 16, 2012 06:49:17 pm
      Theres as many examples of players who have started playing at a Young age & gone on to have successful careers without injury plagued spells as those who have bad spells with injuries IMO. Personally think it depends on the player. That being said, I think BR will manage him well, he will know when to take him out.

Also says alot about Stewart Downing when we're looking to a 17 year old Kid to dig us out the sh*t rather than a supposed £20 million England international. Derp.

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #589: Sep 16, 2012 06:51:05 pm
      Thought he was plagued with shin splints. Remember him missing a lot of big matches due to injury.

Shin splints is caused by to much football when your body is still developing .

I'm going off memory though could be wrong.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #590: Sep 16, 2012 06:53:24 pm
      He might have missed matches but from what I remember he always used to withdraw from Inty football but fit for the mancs.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #591: Sep 16, 2012 07:33:37 pm
      Thought he was plagued with shin splints. Remember him missing a lot of big matches due to injury.

Shin splints is caused by to much football when your body is still developing .

I'm going off memory though could be wrong.

You thinking of Rob Jones mate, he was constantly plagued with shin splint problems.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #592: Sep 16, 2012 07:42:33 pm
      You thinking of Rob Jones mate, he was constantly plagued with shin splint problems.

He has been one of the best right backs in the last two decades - such a shame injury robbed him of a far better career
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #593: Sep 16, 2012 07:43:53 pm
      Im going to keep it short.

Thought we played good football but it was let down in the final 3rd.

We dominated the opening half but always looked like struggling for goals, Sunderland attacked once and scored!!

Have concerns again about Reina's part in there goal.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #594: Sep 16, 2012 07:44:42 pm
      He has been one of the best right backs in the last two decades - such a shame injury robbed him of a far better career

Agreed mate, brilliant and versatile too, playing left-back when Jason McAteer was brought in. Probably one of the best decisions and signings made by Souness.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #595: Sep 16, 2012 07:45:43 pm
      Agreed mate, brilliant and versatile too, playing left-back when Jason McAteer was brought in. Probably one of the best decisions and signings made by Souness.

Prob the only decent desicion from Souness
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #596: Sep 16, 2012 07:49:21 pm
      Im going to keep it short.

Thought we played good football but it was let down in the final 3rd.

We dominated the opening half but always looked like struggling for goals, Sunderland attacked once and scored!!

Have concerns again about Reina's part in there goal.
      The defence was woeful Brian, Fletcher should never have got near the ball .
      kennystaff
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 292 posts |
      Reply #597: Sep 16, 2012 10:46:13 pm
      I dont want a well done or to be accused of moaning as I'm the easy target on here

Will I get you a tissue?? Jesus Christ man, get over yourself. People are allowed not agree with you all the time!!!

Quick Reply