Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. What will be the outcome?

BSC Young Boys Win
      7 (5.8%)
      Draw
      23 (19%)
      Liverpool Win
      91 (75.2%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Young Boys 3:5 Liverpool: Europa League: Pre, In game & Post Match Joy

Read 38259 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Young Boys 3:5 Liverpool: Europa League: Pre, In game & Post Match Joy
      Reply #483: Sep 20, 2012 08:49:31 pm
      Jones your not serious are you Rush, he was very undecisive for the 3rd goal
      Aside from that Corbs, yes.

I thought Brad Jones was very assured between the sticks. He caught everything that came his way, and punched those he never caught. G

Great performance from him.
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #484: Sep 20, 2012 08:49:38 pm
      Pretty decent game just like expected from the team.
      Credit to BR for having faith in theses guys, partly forced on him, partly learning from the Hearts game and the effect it had on the team during the Arsenal game & partly cos he really has faith in trying out youngsters. at this moment I think we couldnt have had a better coach, Being a Rafa junkie i can believe i'm saying this. Even if we end up not doing great this season, though i believe we will do better than last season at least in the league, I think by the end of the season we would know the real value of our academy and also attract some quality youngsters to the club, knowing there is a coach which would give them a chance if they are good.

My slogan remains Regardless of age A player is either good or not good at all. Age & experience makes him better.

The defence was an embarrasment- Carra for my was finished last season, great servant but really time to retire, he shouldnt even wait till the end of the season, with this kinda performance i would be tempted to take Danny wilson over him. Iwill have SAMA above him in the pecking order, Enrique i wasnt surprised never rated him even in his Newcastle days, The truth is just manifesting, was surprised he made the cut in the season clearout, no wonder Glen gets Left back over him. Wisdom was good but needs to improve in his positioning, i believe that will come with time, but composed on the ball and supported the midfield okay, Coates was average also needs to command the back line more but good performance.

The midfield for most part of the game was absent, a lot of space was given to the opposition, i want to believe this was caused by not having a definitive holding midfielder or cos Sahin is still in the process of getting to where i knew him to be while he was in Germany. was impressed with his general game play and he distributed the ball ok, Suso was also good but was a little bit inviusible in the 2nd half could be due to fatigue, needs to improve in his decision making but overall great game by the youngster. Hendo was also good, quality assists, above average performance but still needs to command the middle like Jonjo did when he came on. These guys made Jonjo look like a Gerrard in his days, though he does remind me of a young Stevie with his rash tackles, runs thru the middle, close shaves and ofcourse the cracking goals, Did himself a lotta favours today and i believe with this kinda of performance he should be starting games.

Assaidi was decent, room for improvement, glad he was eager to take on players, Downing didnt have a good game, a below par performance, needs to up his game more especially in games like this where he is more of the experienced hand, Pacheco was played out of position so i wasnt surprised he was ineffective, I believe he is the most unlucky Liverpool youngster, i still think this kid is quality if given the right oppourtunities. Borini was ok but still expect more from him. didint take his chances well though his positioning is great, great work as part of the build up to the goals. Raheem had a cameo appearance I already know what he is capable of.

All in all i was impressed with the team and i see this as a sign of great things to come. Now i can sleep well at night knowing all is not lost. I see us performing okay this season definitely above 8th position, and its not cos of this game alone.

The only dissappointment for me tonite was Yesil not playing but i guess his time will come.

Just my thoughts on the game. sorry for the long post
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #485: Sep 20, 2012 08:53:34 pm
      "You can't win anything with Kids..."

harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #486: Sep 20, 2012 08:55:17 pm
      Borini's positioning is great and I think goals will come but im not sure if he will ever be a 20 goal a season man... time will prove me wrong me hopes!

When Coates scored, it appeared obvious that Borini lacks one crucial aspect of a typical poacher.... he is not instinctive enough with his head!  He tried to swing his leg at that ball when a good poacher (Fowler, Inzaghi, etc) would have stooped down and buried it with their head.  I remember another chance he had against WBA (I think) that he tried to control with his chest to get a shot off when he could have just ducked and directed a header toward goal.  This is the one aspect I think he really needs to work on in his game. 
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #487: Sep 20, 2012 09:00:16 pm
      Borini's movement is first class and he rarely misses the target. Goalkeepers are just saving everything - so far.

Once he grabs that first Premiership goal - he's going to be a real star for us.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #488: Sep 20, 2012 09:00:33 pm
      I'm so glad we are finally showing some backbone. We have had far too many losses against weaker teams because we cant hack it when the going gets tough. The use of our young players and signing players that are actually willing to fight for the cause has really injected some impetus to our team. I say anyone who plays poorly this weekend is replaced by their reserve/ youth team counterpart.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #489: Sep 20, 2012 09:01:53 pm
      When Coates scored, it appeared obvious that Borini lacks one crucial aspect of a typical poacher.... he is not instinctive enough with his head!  He tried to swing his leg at that ball when a good poacher (Fowler, Inzaghi, etc) would have stooped down and buried it with their head.  I remember another chance he had against WBA (I think) that he tried to control with his chest to get a shot off when he could have just ducked and directed a header toward goal.  This is the one aspect I think he really needs to work on in his game. 
      Can't remember Henry scoring much with his head.

Seriously though, we don't know how it was with Borini. Perhaps his body wasn't positioned correctly for him to nut it in.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #490: Sep 20, 2012 09:16:44 pm
      A couple of things this game cemented in for me:

1) Enrique has completely lost everything. He's not even defending well anymore. You can pretty much pencil Johnson in at LB for the time being.

2) Assaidi and Sterling could be the best combo of wingers we've had in ages. Granted it's knee jerk after seeing Assaidi once, but think of the pairs of wingers we've trotted out over the years.

3) Downing has the confidence of a fat girl at fashion week.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #491: Sep 20, 2012 09:18:29 pm
      Can't remember Henry scoring much with his head.

Must be the money then.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #492: Sep 20, 2012 09:23:15 pm

I thought Brad Jones was very assured between the sticks. He caught everything that came his way, and punched those he never caught. G

I thought Jones had a very good game as well and made a number of good saves especially in the second half.

A good win for the lads and great to see some good performances from the younger players but it was noticeable that Borini and Shelvey made a real difference when they came on.

I thought Wisdom had a very good game and Henderson wasn't too bad in midfield. Suso had a few very good touches and runs in the course of the game and shows he has real quality on the ball.

Pacheco disappointed and found it hard to get into the game and as I said Borini made a noticeable difference up front when he got on.

Great to see Shelvey get the goals he has deserved and he looked a touch above the others and showed why he is pushing for a regular start and others aren't.

The negative was the defending at times which wasn't great and it was the area of the pitch where we had a bit of experience so this was a disappointment.

But a win away from home and scoring 5 goals isn't going to get much complaint from me as it's been a while since this has happened.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #493: Sep 20, 2012 09:39:42 pm
      What saves barring the goals can't remember any saves myself.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #494: Sep 20, 2012 09:41:46 pm

He made a few good saves in the second half as SRS said.

He also looked alert for the whole game and did well overall IMO.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #495: Sep 20, 2012 09:42:13 pm
      Yeah the defence was all over the place. At times they just strolled through the middle of the park between midfield and defence as though we had created a designated national park.

But I liked the rest. Very entertaining match!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #496: Sep 20, 2012 09:43:21 pm

I definitely recall one down your his right in the second half and a good punch clear from a dangerous cross.

Did anyone else feel that these players, especially in midfield, had a bit better understanding and implementation of the managers way of playing?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #497: Sep 20, 2012 09:44:24 pm

There was 1 at 1-0 to us at his near post which was a decent stop early on and another at 3-2 up (which was comfortable).

I think he got in the way somewhat for the first goal but nearly made a great recovering save and could have been out quicker for the 3rd though.

He seems hesitant and the defenders don't seem to trust him. He's not really got the commanding presence Reina has when he's on form, but then being honest, Reina hasn't been on form for the past 18 months.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #498: Sep 20, 2012 09:46:52 pm
      Good result and performance, was impressed with Suso, Wisdom and Assaidi on their debuts. Thought Sahin and Henderson controlled the match. Coates was very impressed to, he is coming along well.

Borini movement was good and Shelvey took his goals well hard to believe he is only 20.

Thought Enrique Downing and Carragher were absolutely woeful. Carragher is finished

Downing had 3 assists ;)

It was a decent game - Suso and Wisdom from the kids stood out

Pacheco was a bit isolated and the service was poor.

Sahin was tidy , Assaidi showed a few bright touches. Coates and Downing were ok as was Borini and Sterling when they came on. Carra and Enrique were awful - truely awful.

Shelvey did well when he came on but my clear Motm was Henderson - cracking game from him
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #499: Sep 20, 2012 09:49:28 pm

Thought Jones should share a bit of the blame for the first - he should of been out a bit quicker to take more control of the situation - be brave and take the ball away from them but he made some good saves.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #500: Sep 20, 2012 10:00:13 pm
      The first goal was an awkward situation because just as Jones was about to get there the Young Boys striker looked like he was about to get to the ball. So Enrique was right to take a touh there to make sure, but he should have smacked it into row Z.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #501: Sep 20, 2012 10:09:59 pm
      Jonjo
      Jonjo Jonjo
      Jonjo Jonjo
      Jonjo
      Jonjo Shelvey!!!

Thought we were terribly unbalanced early on.
      Far too often we got players caught out of position up the pitch.
      Assaidi, Downing, Pacheco ( No striker ) players that should be fighting
      over the one position.

Thankfully Brendan corrected this in the second have and we looked much
      better with the introduction of:
      1) A striker in the shape of Borini
      2) 4-2-1-3 ( 4-2-3-1 ) with Shelvey being instrumental.

Brought us much more balance in the team and I hope that Brendan
      sees that, for the players we have right now, this is the best formation for us.
      Great reaction with three excellent substitutions.

Delighted. What a F***ing game that was.

On an aside. Thought Henderson and Sahin together lacked a bit defensively.

Edit:
      I see some comments about Jones there.
      From my point of view he is a good reaction keeper.
      Made some good saves of that nature late on.
      Where he let us down is his unwillingness to get off the line.
      Cost us for some of the goals tonight where he should have come for them.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #502: Sep 20, 2012 10:17:16 pm
      F**k me, are some people never happy unless they're f**king moaning or f**king what!?.

What a f**king awesome performance!. We sent out a bunch of kids to Switzerland to play a tricky European tie and they f**king won!.

Not only did they win, they scored 5 goals!.

Yes, that's right, 5 f**king goals. I'm absolutely f**king ecstatic!. I am so proud tonight, proud of our kids who went out there and f**king manned up.

They let 2 leads slip, they went behind and they still f**king won the match by 2 goals. Something our senior players have been unable to match so far.

Pacheco worked his bollocks off, even though  we weren't playing to his strengths. He didn't moan or throw a hissy fit, he got on with it. Wisdom had a stormer, at fault for one of the goals but he scored a goal and kept his head up. Assaidi looks a clever little player and worked hard. Sahin still looks very tentative but he hasn't been here long. Coates was menacing and helped Carragher throughout the game, cracking goal too. Suso showed flashes of extreme brilliance, ran his bollocks off too, but he needs to curb his feeble shirt pulling attempts, especially in Europe.

I felt Brad Jones was at fault for 2 of the goals but overall he was pretty decent when you consider how exposed we were at the back. Enrique played like a c**t, i don't know what's going on behind the scenes but he needs to sort it out. He was brilliant last Season. Carragher showed his age but i see why Brendan is using him for the Europa campaign, his experience is invaluable. Downing was wasteful again, i think i've lost patience with the lad now. After seeing those youngsters giving their all he should be ashamed of himself.

Thought Borini did well when he came on, made some good runs and should have scored a couple. Wasn't happy about the way he tried to claim Coates' goal, not the sign of a team player. Wouldn't have complained if Coates had stuck the head into him.

Shelvey closed the game out with two brilliant strikes, he bossed the game from the minute he came on.

Last but not least, Henderson was f**king everywhere. Thought he put in a Lucasesque performance, he tidied up everything and was more than willing to be the sacrificial lamb.

How anyone can be negative after this win is beyond me. The kids did us proud and set an example for the senior players to follow.

I am so f**king proud of them tonight, i can't stop smiling.

Now it's up to the senior players to follow the lead set by the kids and smash those Manc bas**rds into the ground on Sunday!.

P.S. I'd just like to add that i know many mistakes were made tonight but let's rejoice in the kids doing us proud.
      « Last Edit: Sep 20, 2012 10:37:34 pm by hardcoresoldier »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #503: Sep 20, 2012 10:47:10 pm
      Get the F**k in...just got into work, knew nothing of the scoreline till I came on here. 5 goals, amazing, can I have the goalscorers please.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #504: Sep 20, 2012 10:47:29 pm
      For once we played against a goalie that didn't get man of the match against us!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #505: Sep 20, 2012 10:52:41 pm
      Get the f**k in...just got into work, knew nothing of the scoreline till I came on here. 5 goals, amazing, can I have the goalscorers please.

Ojala (OG), Wisdom, Coates and Shelvey with a sublime double mate. Shelvey's second goal was out of this world!.

Quick Reply