Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. What will be the outcome?

BSC Young Boys Win
      7 (5.8%)
      Draw
      23 (19%)
      Liverpool Win
      91 (75.2%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Young Boys 3:5 Liverpool: Europa League: Pre, In game & Post Match Joy

Read 38485 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Young Boys 3:5 Liverpool: Europa League: Pre, In game & Post Match Joy
      Reply #506: Sep 20, 2012 10:54:13 pm
      Ojala (OG), Wisdom, Coates and Shelvey with a sublime double mate. Shelvey's second goal was out of this world!.

Thanks bud, can't wait to see the highlights.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #507: Sep 20, 2012 11:24:44 pm
      I have to say the Young Boys OG was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #508: Sep 20, 2012 11:26:22 pm
      Didn't get a chance to watch because of work. Just followed along on Twitter, but sounds like Suso, Wisdom, Hendo, Shelvey had good games. From what I read, Assaidi started very well but faded. I'll watch the match tonight.

Just want to say I love the character shown by the team. Excellent stuff, regardless of some of the howlers (reportedly) that happened.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #509: Sep 20, 2012 11:27:44 pm
      I have to say the Young Boys OG was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.
      It was perfectly planned by Downing, he's a genius. ;D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #510: Sep 21, 2012 12:03:22 am
      Some game that was! Very entertaining and the crowd made it better, both the home and away fans. Great to watch.

Jonjo was outstanding when he came on.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #511: Sep 21, 2012 12:04:34 am
      We may have gotten 5 goals but we also let in 3 after yet more individual errors, the defence seriously needs to get a grip because they have been shocking all season. Shelvey coming on really changed the game and he took his 2 goals really well, especially his 2nd, reminded me of Gerrard!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #512: Sep 21, 2012 12:15:24 am
      We may have gotten 5 goals but we also let in 3 after yet more individual errors, the defence seriously needs to get a grip because they have been shocking all season. Shelvey coming on really changed the game and he took his 2 goals really well, especially his 2nd, reminded me of Gerrard!

Aye but bear in mind most of them are used to playing in the reserves/youth without first team experience but for the most part it was a great performance for a first time run out. Of the senior players, I wasn't impressed with Enrique tonight, Downing was hit and miss but Henderson played fairly well and Carra showed there's life left in him still.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #513: Sep 21, 2012 12:18:08 am
      In many ways (except we scored some goals!) it was a mirror image of the mixed bag we have seen in the league performances so far this season.

We looked shaky defensively and gave away a couple of poor goals,
      The passing was very tidy and impresive at times.
      Whenever we got the ball wide there were never enough bodies committing forward into the penalty area
      At times we pressed the ball well

Great to see some of the youngsters playing and if these kids can get us through the group stages and then for a couple of them to really progress from there then we might look back and say thank fook the owners didn't give Rodgers the funds he needed to really sort the squad out.....

He was only on the field for 20 minutes but Shelvey looked an absolute cut above the rest of the players on the pitch. Very impressed with the way the kid is developing. Also great to read that the club are in negotiations with Agger about a new deal so it's not all doom and gloom.

But we don't half need a fookin win against the mancs to get this season properly up and running.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #514: Sep 21, 2012 12:20:05 am
      Well done to Shelvey , he played a blinder for the time he was on.
      His 2 goals were well taken especially the 2nd .
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #515: Sep 21, 2012 12:35:55 am
      Away win, 5 goals scored, excellent individual performances, and yougsters been given a chance.

That will do me.

Well played Mr. Rodgers
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #516: Sep 21, 2012 02:39:42 am
      A great second half from our lads. Shelvey was excelllent when he came on, two great goals but he also made the midfield look solid and was always available for a pass. Enrique was poor tonight at LB. Suso i thought had a great game as did Coates but Carragher was dreadful. Great game to watch with all the goals. Lets just hope Rodgers can see he has a player in Suso and gives Shelvey more time on the field in an advanced role.
      canon40d
      • Forum John Toshack

• 262 posts |
      Reply #517: Sep 21, 2012 02:56:18 am
      What a game jonjo played,considering he is only 20. He likes to score and could be our new gerrad for the future.Think he has the potential to be a game changer, the way stevie has been in so many games.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #518: Sep 21, 2012 05:04:28 am
      Great game from Shelvey, Coates, Wisdom, Downing and to lesser extent Sahin(2 good corners).
      Suso was OK but was not good in the final passes.
      Henderson was literally USELESS! He was the only player on the field who had no influence on the game at all, he was unable to pass a ball forward and as soon as he got the ball passed it sideways or backwards just to remove the pressure around him. Shocking performance from such a lad who should have been the maestro of the team, luckily we have Sahin, Shelvey ans Suso.
      Assaidi was Ok but could not combine with others than Enrique. Pacheco was lost in the middle since none of the wingers were there to combine with him and no CM was going forward enough until Shelvey came in...
      Jones was really great and was a boost of confidence to Coates and Carra I feel.
      It was a good performance from the lads. The players that needed to stepped up exept Hendo and the young lads seized the opportunity to impress.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #519: Sep 21, 2012 06:35:36 am
      Well that was fun.  Can we put out the kiddies more often if we get 8 goal thrillers!

But seriously, some great individual performances and I don't want to dwell on some of the poor defending because this was like a new team playing together, but we looked very good going forward.  Hope to see more of these guys breaking into the first team.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #520: Sep 21, 2012 06:47:07 am
      Great game from Shelvey, Coates, Wisdom, Downing and to lesser extent Sahin(2 good corners).
      Suso was OK but was not good in the final passes.
      Henderson was literally USELESS! He was the only player on the field who had no influence on the game at all, he was unable to pass a ball forward and as soon as he got the ball passed it sideways or backwards just to remove the pressure around him. Shocking performance from such a lad who should have been the maestro of the team, luckily we have Sahin, Shelvey ans Suso.
      Assaidi was Ok but could not combine with others than Enrique. Pacheco was lost in the middle since none of the wingers were there to combine with him and no CM was going forward enough until Shelvey came in...
      Jones was really great and was a boost of confidence to Coates and Carra I feel.
      It was a good performance from the lads. The players that needed to stepped up exept Hendo and the young lads seized the opportunity to impress.

Gotta disagree a lot. Too many people misunderstand what Hendersons job is. He is there to keep the ball moving, track back, build from the defense, and get the ball to the attackers. He was great today, he set the tempo for the game very well and covered well when Enrique and Carra were screwing up. He also had a great assist to Shelvey. And Dowing did nothing. The fact that you thought he played well makes it tough to take seriously but to each his own I guess.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,689 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #521: Sep 21, 2012 07:04:30 am
      Gotta disagree a lot. Too many people misunderstand what Hendersons job is. He is there to keep the ball moving, track back, build from the defense, and get the ball to the attackers. He was great today, he set the tempo for the game very well and covered well when Enrique and Carra were screwing up. He also had a great assist to Shelvey. And Dowing did nothing. The fact that you thought he played well makes it tough to take seriously but to each his own I guess.
      Agreed. Henderson did his job brilliantly. He is not the type that will change games but he works hard for the team. Enrique and Downing are awful again (I'm one of those that never critics a player).

Wisdom was solid. Jones was good. Pacheco never was given the ball and he did not go for it either.

Well Done Shelvey. He took his goals brilliantly.

It been a long time that we won when we were losing.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #522: Sep 21, 2012 07:10:16 am
      People keep wanting Henderson to pass forward more and so on. He doesn't need to do that. His job is to spread the defense and retain possession as well as keep the ball moving. I don't understand how people fail to understand this.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #523: Sep 21, 2012 07:11:13 am
      Carra has lost more than a yard or two of pace, understandable when his years of service to LFC are considered.
      What reasons if any can Downing offer?
      He was made to look ponderous and ineffectual by the youth surrounding him, in the first half he was for all the world giving lessons on how not to control the ball and lay on the simplest of passes to advance an attack.
      The lad does have a go but has been found wanting, in a more important contest he could be our undoing.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #524: Sep 21, 2012 08:22:51 am
       I did not see the match so I am in no position to comment on individual players,however I am pleased that we got a win with so many young lads in the team.It was also pleasing to see us hitting the net 5 times even if 1 was an own goal.Well done REDS.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #525: Sep 21, 2012 09:15:57 am
      Delighted with the result as I had predicted we would struggle to score, I thought 0-0 :)

Jones - 7 decent game, maybe could have done better wth their first goal if he had shown more decisiveness.

Enrique - 5 Not thrilled with him at all at the moment, supported his winger but seems to lack game intelligence.

Wisdom -7 Great goal and more than held his own defensively

Carra - 4 Not one of his better games, tried hard but nothing came off for him and made quite a few errors

Coates - 7 Good game and scored a good goal, defensively sound

Sahin - 7 Passed the ball well without creating too much, not strong enough in the tackle for what was asked of him

Henderson - 6 Kept posession, but was mainly anonymous   

Downing - 6 not as bad as some have made out, but no where near what we should be expecting

Assaidi -6 showed he can beat a player but lacked a final ball, could be one to watch as he at least tried to make thing happen.

Suso - 7 Tried hard, looked comfortable on the ball and had one great run, hope he gets another chance soon.

Pacheco - 6 Never got the passes or the support he needed, or maybe he is just not good enough?   

m.o.t.m. Shelvey, 2 goals and a good alround performance 
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #526: Sep 21, 2012 09:36:13 am
      I did not see the match so I am in no position to comment on individual players,however I am pleased that we got a win with so many young lads in the team.It was also pleasing to see us hitting the net 5 times even if 1 was an own goal.Well done REDS.

Same here Billy, I missed most of the match so will have to catch up on it later on.

Like you s@int, I thought it might be a bit a of a bore draw. Got the pure stun there!
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #527: Sep 21, 2012 09:49:57 am
      Good , confidence boosting win. Hopefully when most of the XI who were rested come back on Sunday, they can continue where the kids left off
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #528: Sep 21, 2012 10:03:06 am
      Thought the lads kept their heads up after they went 3-2 up and still knocked it about nicely..Borini & Shelvey made the difference once they got going and those couple of winning goals from Jonjo will do his confidence the world of good , lets not forget he's only 20 years old..
      Enrique played like a flat footed clown all night. and Downing couldn't find a red shirt with any of his passes..dear oh dear what a mess the pair of them were down the left....
      Thought Wisdom played well considering he was asked to play out of position and looks a good prospect for the future..
      We HAVE to take the positives out of that game and the win is a badly needed boost of squad confidence going into the MASSIVE fixture on Sunday...
      Well done boys... :scarf:

Quick Reply