Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. What will be the outcome?

BSC Young Boys Win
      7 (5.8%)
      Draw
      23 (19%)
      Liverpool Win
      91 (75.2%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Young Boys 3:5 Liverpool: Europa League: Pre, In game & Post Match Joy

Read 38270 times
      Fowler kop hero
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      Re: Young Boys 3:5 Liverpool: Europa League: Pre, In game & Post Match Joy
      Reply #529: Sep 21, 2012 10:59:11 am
      Some game. Really enjoyed it. Just do not understand what some people what from Henderson. Just because he is not playing the hail mary pass  that 1/20 come of its all negativity. He can be our Carrick if he is given the chance. Our fans really need to be more supportive to some of the players in the squad!

Anyways bring on Sunday!!!!!! 
      Nabil el Zhar
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | -1 
      Reply #530: Sep 21, 2012 11:06:37 am
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #531: Sep 21, 2012 12:54:07 pm
      Great game from Shelvey, Coates, Wisdom, Downing and to lesser extent Sahin(2 good corners).
      Suso was OK but was not good in the final passes.
      Henderson was literally USELESS! He was the only player on the field who had no influence on the game at all, he was unable to pass a ball forward and as soon as he got the ball passed it sideways or backwards just to remove the pressure around him. Shocking performance from such a lad who should have been the maestro of the team, luckily we have Sahin, Shelvey ans Suso.
      Assaidi was Ok but could not combine with others than Enrique. Pacheco was lost in the middle since none of the wingers were there to combine with him and no CM was going forward enough until Shelvey came in...
      Jones was really great and was a boost of confidence to Coates and Carra I feel.
      It was a good performance from the lads. The players that needed to stepped up exept Hendo and the young lads seized the opportunity to impress.

Did you not see Hendersons two assists. I thought he played well last night.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #532: Sep 21, 2012 01:19:00 pm
      I think some people are just pre programmed in how they view certain players performances.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #533: Sep 21, 2012 02:46:33 pm
      Given Wisdom's good performance last night, along with the fact that we also have Flano who can operate at RB, perhaps now is the time to move Kelly into the center of defense.  Carra looks a liability every time he takes the field, so we are in need of added cover in that position.  Kelly seems an obvious choice for this role, and I think he would fit the position quite nicely. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,116 posts | 4880 
      Reply #534: Sep 21, 2012 02:53:50 pm
      I think some people are just pre programmed in how they view certain players performances.

What players are you thinking of Brian?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #535: Sep 21, 2012 03:02:55 pm
      Henderson played well, end of.

It's Lucas and scapegoating all over again.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #536: Sep 21, 2012 03:09:02 pm
      Ok, caught the replay late last night. Overall, I'm pleased with the fact that such a young team went away from Anfield, in Europe, and came away with a win and 5 goals to boot. How can anybody not be happy with that?!

Yes, the defense was shaky. Enrique had a howler for the first, Wisdom and Coates could have done better on the second, and we should never get caught out like that for their third.

BUT, we showed plenty of fight and character last night. That more than anything should be pleasing to everyone. We fought and fought and fought. Never got our heads down. That's not only self-belief and character, that's a tremendous attitude shown.

A few player notes for me:

Suso - for his debut, I thought he was great. Awesome close control on the ball, good touches and passing. Needs to work on his play in the final third, however you can tell he's going to be a big time player.

Assaidi - I thought he started brilliantly. Really looked to take a man on and had some good energy. He defo faded a bit, so I think we're looking at a bit of a Bellamy replacement here. Good impact sub player and squad option to start the odd game, like yesterday for example.

Henderson - got the highest rating on WhoScored.com and got two assists. Those saying he was useless yesterday should rewatch the game. Did a good job of keeping play moving. Wasn't very forward thinking at times, but I don't think he had to be. Decent shout for MOTM in my opinion.

Shelvey - love this kid. That's all. Love him.

Pacheco - didn't seize the opportunity in my opinion. But at the same time, we have to remember that WF is his natural position, not ST, so maybe a bit of slack can be given his way. I'd really like to see him play on the left of the 4-3-3 and see how he does.

Borini - to those writing him off.... Did you not see the improvement in the team once he came on? He's an intelligent player, knows how to make good runs, and drew a defender away on one of Shelvey's goals. Watch him closely and you'll appreciate him much more.

Overall, I'm happy we got a win. 3 points in Europe, 2 full debuts for Suso and Wisdom (brilliant goal!), goals off of corners. Very young side came out and got the job done. And even more experienced because of it. Well done Brendan!
      Nabil el Zhar
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | -1 
      Reply #537: Sep 21, 2012 03:17:10 pm
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #538: Sep 21, 2012 03:23:26 pm
      Borini's movement is fantastic for such a young player.
      He needs to more clinical, but I'm sure that'll come as he gets used to his team mates, and they to him.

Overall I was pretty chuffed with the lads last night, but I'm sorry to say that Carra should be eased out. Not only did he look out of his depth at times, but he also looked heavier than I have ever seen him, which is obviously going to affect his game.

Wisdom had a brilliant debut, Suso is very nearly ready for regular first team football, but BR needs a re-think about Pacheco and the position he plays. I would have preferred to see Yesil start as striker, with Pacheco wider.

Downing is a complete waste, and really should be fu**ed off as soon as possible.

It's also a mystery where Enrique's form has gone, and he looks a bit clueless going forwards these days, slowing the play down considerably and giving their defense (opposition in general) time to re-group and get more men behind the ball.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #539: Sep 21, 2012 03:37:59 pm
      I see and understand the your points concerning Henderson's role. So he's supposed to play as a DM like Lucas, and make sure the ball keeps moving but based on this performance I think he is no match to any of our CMs. Even Suso should be selected ahead of him for any role in midfield. Hendo is supposed to be a regular player of thee squad(since he has been there since last season), but yesterday he was satisfying himself in passing sideways or backwards just because he doesn't want to take risks. I don't blame him of not making hollywood passes but comparatively to other CMs he does not seem to be willing to bring the ball forward and create something. I expected him to play at AM in the 4-3-3 but after such a performance I think that he will be nothing more than a squad player and it's justified. I was hoping he'd play regularly under Rodgers but players like Shelvey and Suso deserve the better chance.

The lads were great, retaining possession like boss and Wisdom's performance was great! in one word BOSS. I never saw him before but for his first game as starter, he was very good.
      Coates is going to be a great player although he should have done better on the second goal we conceded.
      Enrique has been good going forward but his lack of presence in defense and his numerous errors are unforgivable and I can now understand the reasons for which he is dropped in favor of Kelly. Borini played well and again it confirms that e should be our main striker. His movement is good and he is always willing to go for the crosses while the other players don't like the contact with the defenders.(illustrated by our numerous good but useless crosses yesterday).

The man of the match was B.Rodgers himself to me.
      He was class yesterday, the players seemed to feel they had the faith of the coach and we never seemed like losing! :O
      it was as if the players heard at half time that they were going to win if they continue doing what they were doing properly. Great performance from the young lads and the leader was Rodgers to me. YNWA :scarf: Bring on the mancs!
      waz112003
      • Banned

• 70 posts |
      Reply #540: Sep 21, 2012 03:43:04 pm
      It was a great win last night but must improve the defence especially coinciding three sloppy goals. The young players have done the club proud with the way they played last night were brilliant....
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #541: Sep 21, 2012 04:33:37 pm
      In my opinion that was one of the best performances from a bunch of kids in a European Game that I've ever seen.

Everybody makes mistakes and and have off days but as long as your opponents make MORE mistakes and have more players with off days than yours i.e. you score more than they do then performance comes second to the result.

WELL DONE LADS 3pts in the bag !
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #542: Sep 21, 2012 04:36:57 pm
      What players are you thinking of Brian?

A general thing mate. Look back to Lucas for example. Chap could do no right by some people for a long time. Henderson seems to have stepped into that role now.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #543: Sep 21, 2012 05:26:06 pm
      The youngsters played well last night, a little shaky at the back, and not cutting enough at the front, thought Shelvey was fantastic.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #544: Sep 21, 2012 05:51:25 pm
      I see and understand the your points concerning Henderson's role. So he's supposed to play as a DM like Lucas, and make sure the ball keeps moving but based on this performance I think he is no match to any of our CMs. Even Suso should be selected ahead of him for any role in midfield. Hendo is supposed to be a regular player of thee squad(since he has been there since last season), but yesterday he was satisfying himself in passing sideways or backwards just because he doesn't want to take risks. I don't blame him of not making hollywood passes but comparatively to other CMs he does not seem to be willing to bring the ball forward and create something. I expected him to play at AM in the 4-3-3 but after such a performance I think that he will be nothing more than a squad player and it's justified. I was hoping he'd play regularly under Rodgers but players like Shelvey and Suso deserve the better chance.

The lads were great, retaining possession like boss and Wisdom's performance was great! in one word BOSS. I never saw him before but for his first game as starter, he was very good.
      Coates is going to be a great player although he should have done better on the second goal we conceded.
      Enrique has been good going forward but his lack of presence in defense and his numerous errors are unforgivable and I can now understand the reasons for which he is dropped in favor of Kelly. Borini played well and again it confirms that e should be our main striker. His movement is good and he is always willing to go for the crosses while the other players don't like the contact with the defenders.(illustrated by our numerous good but useless crosses yesterday).

The man of the match was B.Rodgers himself to me.
      He was class yesterday, the players seemed to feel they had the faith of the coach and we never seemed like losing! :O
      it was as if the players heard at half time that they were going to win if they continue doing what they were doing properly. Great performance from the young lads and the leader was Rodgers to me. YNWA :scarf: Bring on the mancs!

What do you not understand about Henderson's role? His job is to retain possession. Sahin is supposed to play the ball forward. Look at Busquets for Barcelona. He plays the ball back, sideways, wherever to retain possession and move the defense around. Henderson did this fantastically well yesterday. Oh and he also had two assists. What else do you want from him. He was the guy that shaped the pace of the game yesterday which is exactly what we want. Control tempo and move the defense.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #545: Sep 21, 2012 06:07:10 pm
      Good win yesterday by the kids, stand out player for me was Andre Wisdom, looked liked he'd been playing there for a while even though he was playing out of position? Looked sharper upfront once Shelvey came on.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #546: Sep 21, 2012 06:41:59 pm
      Well although I voted for a win, I never dreamt it would be in this fashion. Well done to every one of them who were involved. Must have been a very nervous night, firstly for the young lads hoping to make an impact, and secondly for the few 'established' players knowing they were going out for a match with all the inexperienced lads. Bit of luck going ahead, and silly mistakes for two of the goals conceded. The third was a decent strike. But to climb off the floor after doing so well and then going behind, just terrific. Shelvey certainly made the difference but he didn't do it alone, there was still a lot of belief and fire in the belly of the other youngsters. And the way things have been going, who would have expected 5 goals? Anyone know the odds on that ? Must be a massive lift for all concerned at the club and long may it continue. Credit to all of them, even Carra, Hendo and Enrique, who all had poor moments but also gave thier all to the end. Proud of all of them really. Now the tempo's up for the mancs, can't wait for sunday now. C.O.Y.M.REDS
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #547: Sep 21, 2012 06:54:05 pm
      Did anyone else notice that at time we actually played a 4-4-2,or even a 4-4-1-1 with Suso right up beside Pacheco?
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #548: Sep 21, 2012 07:25:21 pm
      Did anyone else notice that at time we actually played a 4-4-2,or even a 4-4-1-1 with Suso right up beside Pacheco?
      Just going to say that after watching the game today. Surprised to see Suso there but think it'll do him a lot of good as he needs to up his game in the final third (or just watch some of Messi and try to do them :P)
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #549: Sep 21, 2012 07:29:07 pm
      It was hard to notice any real formation Luis, until Shelvey came on . The young lads are really going to blossom under Rodgers and to see our more senior players play sh*t footie last night when we needed them to show the way to the youngsters was disappointing to say the least.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #550: Sep 22, 2012 09:58:37 am
      Apart from the senior players not really turning up. I thought the only down side was when the crosses went in, we got bodies around the edge of the box but nobody rteally committed themselves to  attck either post in anticipation. That will come with experience i supose, thought everything else was fine, the defending is what you might expect for such a young, inexperienced team at that level.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #551: Sep 22, 2012 10:40:27 am
      God anyone saying Hendo didn't have a good game go re-watch the match. Without his energy and tracking in midfield I have a feeling the slightly off the pace Sahin would have been overwhelmed much more frequently. Jordan had a great game, with great pressure (and not committing silly little trips), good movement on the ball and for once he was showing for the ball and then not just playing it straight back, but getting his head up and trying to move the ball laterally to create some space. He also directly created two goals. Not good enough? Please... It may have been against the Whipping Boys of Bern but he had a great game, and was much more involved throughout the 90 than Suso for example, who for all his glimpses of superb talent, didn't really work hard enough as the tip of the midfield diamond. Jordan and Sahin may have both been caught when YB broke a couple of times, but I think that's just adjusting to the system.

Needs more games like that for his confidence and then we really could see him fulfil some of that promise he so evidently has.

Quick Reply