Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Steven Gerrard and where he plays. The biggest problem for Brendan?

Read 9062 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Re: Steven Gerrard and where he plays. The biggest problem for Brendan?
      Reply #23: Sep 17, 2012 08:44:38 pm
      I personally feel that Lucas is vital to our ambitions.  Playing Lucas alongside Allen as deep lying midfielders will do two things:

1.  It will allow our 3rd CM to be much more attack minded.
      2.  It will allow our outside backs to attack more without being so susceptible to the counter. 

When Lucas comes back, I'd like to see Gerrard pushed further forward and played as a false 9.  The starting formation would look like this:

Pepe
      Johno  Skrtel  Agger  Enrique
      Lucas   Allen
      Sahin
      Suarez    Gerrard    Borini

In attack, Gerrard would drop deep; Suarez and Borini would drift inside looking to run through the channels; Agger and Skrtel would play as split CB's with Lucas dropping deep between them; and Johno and Enrique would push forward to provide width to the attack:

Pepe
      Skrtel   Lucas  Agger
      Allen
      Johno      Sahin    Enrique
      Gerrard
      Suarez   Borini

And in defense, it would be:

Pepe
      Johno  Sktrel  Agger  Enrique
      Lucas  Allen
      Suarez    Sahin   Borini
      Gerrard

This system would keep Gerrard from having to expend energy tracking back, so he could just focus on attacking.  We could strike with lightning speed on the counter as Borini and Suarez overlap him on the outside.  One outlet pass to Stevie followed by a ball through the channel to Borini or Suarez could put them in a foot race with a CB, which I would always bet on Suarez/Borini to win.  I also think that this system would put our most talented 11 players on the field at the same time. 
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #24: Sep 17, 2012 08:50:43 pm
      I personally feel that Lucas is vital to our ambitions.  Playing Lucas alongside Allen as deep lying midfielders will do two things:

1.  It will allow our 3rd CM to be much more attack minded.
      2.  It will allow our outside backs to attack more without being so susceptible to the counter. 

When Lucas comes back, I'd like to see Gerrard pushed further forward and played as a false 9.  The starting formation would look like this:
      Pepe
      Johno  Skrtel  Agger  Enrique
      Lucas   Allen
      Sahin
      Suarez    Gerrard    Borini

In attack, Gerrard would drop deep, Suarez and Borini would drift inside looking to run through the channels, while Johno and Enrique would push forward to provide width to the attack:
      Pepe
      Skrtel   Lucas  Agger
      Allen
      Johno      Sahin    Enrique
      Gerrard
      Suarez   Borini

And in defense, it would be:

Pepe
      Johno  Sktrel  Agger  Enrique
      Lucas  Allen
      Suarez    Sahin   Borini
      Gerrard

This system would keep Gerrard from having to expend energy tracking back, so he could just focus on attacking.  We could strike with lightning speed on the counter as Borini and Suarez overlap him on the outside.  One outlet pass to Stevie and then a ball through the channel to Borini or Suarez could put them in a foot race with a CB, which I would always vote on Suarez/Borini to win.  I also think that this system would put our most talented 11 players on the field at the same time. 

I agree with you having Stevie in the 3 up top mate.

I also agree that Lucas is central to what BR wants to do. It killed us last season losing him.

Most of your systems there have the 2 infront the back 4. I feel BR wants to use 1 in front the back 4 and Lucas is more than good enough to occupy that roll.

Hoewever with Lucas missing at the moment I feel it better to have 2 infront protecting. But when Lucas is back just him infront with Allen and Sahin/Shelvey/Henderson playing infront in a 1-2.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #25: Sep 17, 2012 09:26:42 pm
      It's an interesting debate this one because there are so many different opinions on where he is best deployed. Must amdit i'm not sure myself. I have actually enjoyed him playing for England recently where he is asked to do a bit of a holding role where he keeps things simple and he's performed it very well. For LFC he has had a mixed start to the season for me. I thought he played pretty well at the weekend and given that Joe Allen's passing isn't the most adventurous he actually compliments the young lad quite well. Some of his passing (one ball in particular) was excellent on Sunday but he does still give the ball away too often given the way Rodgers wants to play. Like Mick I also like him in a wide right (with freedom to roam) and I still think that a lack of options across the front 3 may force Rodgers to use the captain further forward.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #26: Sep 17, 2012 09:30:58 pm
      Daft in that we have much bigger concerns than where Gerrard plays.

I don't think it's a daft thread one bit. It's weird to say it, but he's been one of the worst performers so far this season, the exception being against City in which he played well. He was shocking against West Brom, Arsenal, and very poor in the first half yesterday but improved once he started playing simply. He's given the ball away quite a bit this season. We have to remember he's the captain of the team here. Still very early days and I'm not too worried about Steven because we've only played 4 games, but I don't think having a thread to discuss his position is daft in the slightest.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #27: Sep 17, 2012 10:39:15 pm
      Daft in that we have much bigger concerns than where Gerrard plays.

Hence the question mark in the post title. I was asking if it was the biggest problem. You seem to disagree which is fair enough but I think it's far from a daft thread.

Also Gerrard, Sterling and Suarez can interchange there...its not a rigid 3 !

I'm not sure if you're confusing me with someone else Don but I'm far from an idiot and know it wouldn't be a rigid three if Stevie played in a front three.

I was just making the point that you thought it was a daft thread to question where the Captain plays but you feel he should be playing in a position the manager has yet to play him in which suggests its far from a daft discussion as it is definitely open to debate.
      TheSturridgeShake
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 61 posts | 20 
      • JFT96 <3
      Reply #28: Sep 18, 2012 01:19:42 am
      As harsh as it sounds once Lucas is fit I would drop him and use him mainly as an impact sub.

I would go with

Lucas

Allen   Sahin

Suarez  Borini  Sterling

Allen can also drop deep so the 1-2 becomes a 2-1 if needs be. Sahin also knows how to drop deep so it could be if needs be become a rigid straight defensive 3 in midfield.

;D
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #29: Sep 18, 2012 03:31:45 am
      I have to totally disagree Brian with where you have him.

Gerrard isn't disciplined on the ball enough to play that role , he doesn't keep possesion well enough and he just can't sit. He needs to be higher up the pitch. Lucas should be that role with Allen/Gerrard/ Sahin the two roles ahead.
      I agree w/ GL also.  I dont think Gerrard has the ability of being a "Field General". I said it before in previous posts, but you can see a direct correlation w/ Gerrard's performance since Xabi Alonso left. Gerrard is the Captain and face of the team but on the pitch, it was always Xabi Alonso who made them play as one unit and Gerrard just hasn't been able to pick up that mantle. I wouldn't consider him a "piece" player. But he always plays great when he has someone on the pitch who can take the pressure off him and just let him play free.

Second, I know this sounds bad and I may be "Neg'd" like crazy but, I am not too concerned w/ the lack of points. Normally I would be very angry and bothered but I'm not because I can see what Rodgers is trying to do. I think its just a matter of getting these guys to play the system and style and maybe w/ 1-2 good signings I think the future looks good. If we can get Lucas back into top form and have him play steady, I think he could be that piece were missing.

I kind of look at what Rodgers is doing as getting an old Ferrari that is in pieces. You know its a great car and its an Icon. You know the pieces are their and you know they are great parts, but its just getting them fitted and rebuilt and running and when that's done your driving a f***in' Ferrari. I know it sounds stupid but thats I how I see this team. Every time I hear Rodgers speak, I like him more and I have more faith in his plan for the future.
      ilikeliverpool
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Reply #30: Sep 18, 2012 01:54:53 pm
      As harsh as it sounds once Lucas is fit I would drop him and use him mainly as an impact sub.

I would go with

Lucas

Allen   Sahin

Suarez  Borini  Sterling

Allen can also drop deep so the 1-2 becomes a 2-1 if needs be. Sahin also knows how to drop deep so it could be if needs be become a rigid straight defensive 3 in midfield.

;D
      Big problem is we haven't got cover for Lucas....again.

From that lineup i'd keep it the same but insert Gerrard as the right sided forward, and put Suarez in place of Borini or Sterling.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #31: Sep 18, 2012 04:21:47 pm
      The biggest problem for Brendan is instilling a winning mentality into the team. Confidence is shot and nobody seems able to fix it.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #32: Sep 18, 2012 09:18:48 pm
      I get the intention of the OP - but it could and (in my opinion) should be worded more like "How to get the best out of Steven Gerrard" because I think it's being misinterpreted.

Stevie isn't at his best right now but - for the love of all things red! - that is not BR's biggest problem.
      Dundee Red
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts |
      Reply #33: Sep 18, 2012 10:05:50 pm
      With all due respect, thank goodness most of you aren't manager  ;)
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #34: Sep 19, 2012 12:03:48 am
      I'll say it!  Maybe we need to think that Gerrard may be better coming in from the bench?  Eventually we need to admit that he hasnt been at 100% for awhile. Not to mention the groin and ankle and infections. He has lost some speed and at times almost seems lost on the pitch, trying to play in this system. Whats frustrating is seeing him play one match and he is awesome and it looks like he is in his prime again then next match he looks awful. I still think he is fully capable of starting but I dont know if he is capable of playing 90 min every match.

Its one of those debates where we need to think whats best for the Club and whats best for getting the most points every match. Eventually Gerrard wont be a player, I dont see him ever leaving the club and playing somewhere else, but the day is coming when he will not be dressing for every match. Its just a sad fact to this game. ???
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #35: Sep 19, 2012 01:11:37 am
      Gerrard is a top player at 31, he should play but like all players is subject to form (which is dependent on trust shown by manager) and fitness.
      hobbes2702
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts | 34 
      Reply #36: Sep 19, 2012 06:47:40 am
      I am of the opinion that he should be in one of two positions. Either as a false 9 or a deep lying playmaker. He did well for England in the Euros at that spot. He also is a great finisher but doesn't have quite the movement he used to. He can play in the Alonso role very effectively which allows Jonjo to get forward. If played as a false 9 then it allows Suarez to play the wing where he is better suited IMO. I just don't think he has the movement to play wide anymore or in the hole.
      Arrie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,763 posts | 64 
      • Being safe is risky nowadays.
      Reply #37: Sep 19, 2012 08:32:02 am
      The question is not whether Gerrard is more important than the team, but how important? I personally wouldn't have any problems at all with someone arguing that Gerrard has been our most important player over the last 10 years. That's compatible with recognising football is a team game. I'm an Alonso man myself, I love the way he interprets the central midfield role, but I think Gerrard has made a greater contribution to Liverpool's game than Xabi ever did. Xabi would probably agree.

Naturally, therefore, it f***in me off when Gerrard's impact and legacy are poo-pooed. Let the Mancs do that. They're jealous. We should cherish his legacy - and , yes, cherish him.

Will he survive the Rodgers revolution? It's a fair question. He's probably peaked now and questions would probably be asked about his effectiveness, whoever the coach was. Like most other Reds I'll be hoping that Gerrard finds a new lease of life under our new manager and that the Rodgers system is given an incredible shot of adrenaline through having a real one-off like Gerrard in the eleven. The lad is a football genius. I really hope that when Liverpool next win the championship he's running round the pitch holding it.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #38: Sep 19, 2012 09:08:39 am
      Rodgers said he seen Gerrard as an attacking midfielder, that for me is where he should be deployed, in a 4-2-3-1 formation as I still dont feel we have got the personnel to make Rodgers 4-3-3 work.
      ilikeliverpool
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Reply #39: Sep 19, 2012 09:14:58 am
      Given our inexperience up front, i think we should play him in one of the forward roles or as the attacking midfielder. He's better than Sigurdsson, but like the above post says we haven't got the ideal players for that yet. Imagine Allen and Gerrard as the two in front of Lucas?
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #40: Sep 22, 2012 09:17:46 pm
      The question is not whether Gerrard is more important than the team, but how important? I personally wouldn't have any problems at all with someone arguing that Gerrard has been our most important player over the last 10 years. That's compatible with recognising football is a team game. I'm an Alonso man myself, I love the way he interprets the central midfield role, but I think Gerrard has made a greater contribution to Liverpool's game than Xabi ever did. Xabi would probably agree.

Naturally, therefore, it f***in me off when Gerrard's impact and legacy are poo-pooed. Let the Mancs do that. They're jealous. We should cherish his legacy - and , yes, cherish him.

Will he survive the Rodgers revolution? It's a fair question. He's probably peaked now and questions would probably be asked about his effectiveness, whoever the coach was. Like most other Reds I'll be hoping that Gerrard finds a new lease of life under our new manager and that the Rodgers system is given an incredible shot of adrenaline through having a real one-off like Gerrard in the eleven. The lad is a football genius. I really hope that when Liverpool next win the championship he's running round the pitch holding it.
      I understand what your saying about Gerrards legacy. The Scum can say whatever they want about Gerrard but we know how good of a player he is and what he means to the team and the club. But I strongly think that no player is bigger than the club, even Gerrard and debating his future and current fitness is a fair argument. I dont think he is 100%. But he is still a top 20 player and still has years left to play.

Playing "devils advocate"  >:D for a second, would you trade an EPL title or European title for Gerrard? Lets say we have a chance to sign Messi but in order to do so we need to sell Gerrard and with it we win the EPL and go on to another long run of Cups and titles. Would you do it?  Its a sad fact of todays game, but that day could come. I hope I never see it but, regardless it could happen.
      lancashirelad
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      • I'm only satisfied with the best
      Reply #41: Sep 23, 2012 07:53:13 pm
      Stevie is the man today, he can play anywhere and can see holes either in the opponents team and exploit them, or in our team and fill them. I don't think it will happen but it would be good to see him lift the premier league trophy before he retires
      ste1986
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #42: Oct 01, 2012 09:52:50 pm
      Stevie looks like he will play wherever needed this season and next and will probably go more defensive at 35-36 and possiblly even play a role at full back or even centre back at some stage the way he reads the game. what this http://www.tfbets.com/news/97977/steven-gerrard-title-miracle-odds article tells me about gerrard is he is knows he needs to make even more sacrifice if he is to make the step towards the title. a small chance but as Europe proved last night anything is possible. YNWA Stevie
      fhands123
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 11 
      Reply #43: Oct 01, 2012 10:50:52 pm
      I think he has to play in a deeper role, from the evidence of the early games this season he didn't appear to have the legs for how Brendan wants the front of the midfield three to play. With Allen's movement and quick passing, along with Stevie beside him and either Shelvey or Sahin in front of them and off the stiker, i think a nice balance is created. It certainly seems to work when going forward at least. However, it does also seem to leave us rather bare at the back, which of course bodes the question where does Lucas fit in and who does he replace?
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #44: Oct 01, 2012 11:36:29 pm
      The skipper was absolutely fantastic (comfortably our best player) against the mancs and he had another good game at the weekend. Any talk of his demise is premature i'm sure and I like the more patient game he has played the past two matches which is not dissimilar form the excellent form he showed for England in the Euros.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #45: Oct 02, 2012 01:56:37 am
      Stevie Gerrard IS still a great player, capable of dominating games. Most important;y he can find the net. Lucas, Allen, Henderson, Stirling,Borini, Suso etc probably wont score as much as Gerrard. That is why I like him further forward in the midfield. Lucas is the real key for Gerrard. If the back door is locked, and Lucas is easily our best man for this job, Gerrard can bomb.

Quick Reply