Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man of the Match tonight?

Nuri Sahin
      77 (67%)
      Suso
      3 (2.6%)
      Danny Pacheco
      2 (1.7%)
      Oussama Assaidi
      29 (25.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Jamie Carragher
      2 (1.7%)
      Samed Yesil
      0 (0%)
      Sebastian Coates
      1 (0.9%)
      Someone else?
      1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 112

West Brom 1:2 Liverpool In game & post match delight.

Read 27896 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: West Brom 1:2 Liverpool In game & post match delight.
      Reply #575: Sep 27, 2012 10:32:39 am
      I'm old enough to be their grandma mate how old dya think I feel?
      I'm old enough to be their great grand ma pa Debs !
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #576: Sep 27, 2012 12:00:45 pm
      Just watched the highlights again on Sky Sports.

Delighted for Sahin to get his first goals for us, what a moment for him. I thought everyone played well last night but was particularly impressed with Pacheco and Assaidi. Suso also did well when he came on.

The futures bright!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #577: Sep 27, 2012 01:05:29 pm
      Ill have to ignore the man of teh match poll. Almost unfair to give it to 1.

Assaidi was brilliant. Sahin with two goals and an assurred quality in midfield. Henderson put in another shift. But what about Wisdom and Robinson and Carra and the outstanding Coates? Brilliant all. Even Suso coming on from the bench

Team effort all the way last night so my man of the match the travelling Kop! Class
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #578: Sep 27, 2012 01:16:22 pm
      The forum crapped out on me during the game. It was mildly frustrating.

I thought we were brilliant yesterday. Far and away the better side, and some really encouraging signs. Basically, the kids can play!

Sahin gets MOTM for me. Henderson had a good game, but Sahin was something special in the middle of the park. Has a good shot on him, can spread play beautifully, and the run he made for his second was outstanding.

Assaidi is narrowly second for MOTM. He was superb and for me should be starting at the weekend. Excellent pace and energy, always looked to take a man on, and has a very good touch. Great balls played into the box constantly.

Yesil shows a ton of promise. Honestly couldn't tell that was his debut in top flight English football. What I really liked was how he wasn't afraid to have a pop at goal at such a young age. Narrowly scored a few times as well.

Pacheco was very good. I thought he had an excellent game, moved the ball on quickly, tracked back very well, and was surprisingly good on the defense end. Suso coming on for him was the right move (he was a bit gassed).

The energy and workrate last night was fantastic. Really enjoyed that match. I think the last few matches have shown the team is growing into Brendan's methods.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #579: Sep 27, 2012 01:17:52 pm
      Lets not get too carried away. Good win and performance - yes.

You're not related to that famous Red Indian are you?. What's his name again?, mmmmm. Oh yeah, Black Cloud.

F**k me. If people want to be positive and heap praise on the youngsters then they should be able to do so without people chucking in negative comments.

Just watched the game and i thought it was a brilliant performance. We had a shaky start after conceding the early goal but we showed great character to get back into the game and eventualy win it.

Brad Jones should have punched that cross out instead of trying to catch it but he's out of practice. Showed great character though to pull off a couple of great saves to deny the Baggies a second goal which could have killed the game off. Robinson had a shaky start as well, Lukaku brushing him aside on a few occasions like a rag doll. Again though as the game wore on he improved as did his confidence.

Coates was solid at the back and came so close to scoring towards the end, Carragher with a couple of howlers but also stopping a few attacks with game inteligence that is still there, compensating for his lack of pace. I must say though that he held his own in the first half when Lukaku rounded him and tried to burn him off. There's still life in the old dog yet and his experience and presence is exactly what's needed to keep the youngsters in check. Wisdom had another solid game straight off the back of the Young Boys game, solid in the tackle, confident in his passing and clearing up quite a few messes too.

Assaidi, what a performance from the young lad. He ripped Dawson a new arsehole and it's such a joy to see another genuine wide man at the Club with pace. Knocked some beautiful crosses into the box and looks a very slippery customer. Always looking to run at defenders, never looking back, never looking to pass backwards, like Downing was. Downing was a disgrace, he's lost it, the plot that is. Just doesn't look like he cares, can see him going in January unless he gets out of that bubble he's in. I'd thought he would up his game with the threat of the new boys but he just doesn't seem to give a F**k. It's so frustrating watching him when you know what he's capable of.

Henderson did ok but it seems like he's set for another Season of filling in the gaps as he did last Season. He's a grafter though and i doubt you'll see him complain, he's a team player alright. Sometimes he is too much of a team player, he can be too unselfish. He can work on that though. Pacheco made some great runs and was unlucky not to score when he hit the crossbar. Worked very hard as you'd expect but i just see a slight lack of confidence in himself with regards to his physical game.

Yesil looked very lively and was also unlucky not score. Very quick with his feet and can work a shot in a very small area with hardly any backswing. Not too scared to get stuck in either and i see a very exciting career ahead for him here. Showed the confidence to take anyone on and looking to shoot all the time.

Suso is something else. Whenever he gets the ball you're expecting something form him and he doesn't fail to deliver. Within moments of coming on he made that sublime run and pass to Assaidi to set up the second for Sahin. This lad is knocking on the door and i see no reason why he can't be selected for the Norwich game.

And last but by no means least, Nuri Sahin. Ran the game from start to finish, bossed the midfield and nobody could touch him. He came deep to get the ball, controlled the tempo, tackled his bollocks off and played several intelligent passes. Sound like someone to you?. I'm not even going to say it because i don't wish to put any pressure on him. An absolutely stunning performance by Sahin and why i give him my Man of the Match.

Another thing that has impressed me with these youngsters is how tight they are as a unit. One of the aspects of our gameplan that has concerned me in the first team is how far apart the central three and front three are at times. Last night they were watertight and that helped us to attack at pace and also defend at pace too.

And can we please put an end to all this tiki-taka bollocks and accept the truth. Words from the post match interview on LFCTV from Brendan himself.

"They have been incredible. Since my first day in here the support they have given me has been fantastic, but more importantly the support they've given the team. I think they see what it is we're trying to achieve, we're trying to play a certain way, which is The Liverpool Way."
      waz112003
      • Banned

• 70 posts |
      Reply #580: Sep 27, 2012 01:19:32 pm
      It was brilliant performance from young players cos they are getting there chances now. You got to give thumbs up to Brendan Rodgers for making a brave decision to rotate his squad. I think i'm with Arsene Wenger you got to use this competition to develop your young players that's what Brendan Rodgers is doing now. It was great the fans were chanting Brendan Rodgers name cos us Liverpool fans are educated we know what he's implementing & his philosophy going to be we're starting to like it so long it may continue....
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #581: Sep 27, 2012 01:41:52 pm
      Next time anyone makes a trip to West Brom, make sure you go the Vines and get some scran from the bbq. Best pre match scran ever!!

Thought we were wobbly for the first ten minutes or so last night but we soon got into our stride and stayed in it. Sahin ran the show in midfield. His confidence was oozing and it spread right through the team.

The football is slowly but surely coming together. Still a long way to go yet but it looks like practically every player is starting to get used to passing the ball like it should be.

The moment we start banging goals in, things will get very interesting.

Agree Kenny, really enjoyed last nights game and we soon got into our stride after that opening 10 mins or so.

Just a shame I didnt get to have a few pre match beers (and hotdog by the sounds) with you lot. We had a nightmare parking.
      lancashirelad
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      • I'm only satisfied with the best
      Reply #582: Sep 27, 2012 02:43:47 pm
      Sahin and Coates looked like gold!
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #583: Sep 27, 2012 03:23:14 pm

Assaidi and Suso too!!  Personally, I think the four of them should have played their way into the starting lineup for Saturday.  I'm hoping Rodgers goes with this on Saturday:

Pepe
      Glen  Skrtel  Coates  Jose
               Allen    Sahin
         Suso   Stevie   Assaidi
                   Suarez

Was a great game from the young lads!!  Now I just hope we can repeat that on Saturday..... we need a league win bad!!
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #584: Sep 27, 2012 04:06:41 pm
      Absolutely made up with last nights performance.. Some excellent individual contributions and passages of play. The courage when going 1-0 down away to come back and win ;)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #585: Sep 27, 2012 04:33:28 pm
      Next time anyone makes a trip to West Brom, make sure you go the Vines and get some scran from the bbq. Best pre match scran ever!!

Thought we were wobbly for the first ten minutes or so last night but we soon got into our stride and stayed in it. Sahin ran the show in midfield. His confidence was oozing and it spread right through the team.

The football is slowly but surely coming together. Still a long way to go yet but it looks like practically every player is starting to get used to passing the ball like it should be.

The moment we start banging goals in, things will get very interesting.

That will do for me. 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #586: Sep 27, 2012 06:12:59 pm
      Suso just ghosts past players with ease! Both games he has come on now we have gotten a goal straight after! Assaidi had a very good game and was great to see Sahin bag a couple of goals!

More importantly though, we finally have a win against an English team this season!!
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #587: Sep 27, 2012 07:30:01 pm
      Just seen the highlights and I've came to a few conclusions.

Jones had a reasonable game, but he was at fault fot the goal and should never ever ever ever play for us again. Ever.

We played very well but it was only the Carling Cup, it means nothing. Sorry, the League Cup. Again showing it's worthlessness so don't everyone get carried away.

Yes we moved the ball about well, but it was only because we got lucky with our passes and the grass was extra wet so the West Brom players couldn't keep up with how quickly the ball was moving.

Sahin? Played well, but he's only on loan. No use to us.

Henderson? Did well, for a change. Another one of Kenny's flops, oh how his time here was dreadful.

Assaidi? His name's too hard to pronounce, get him out.

Travelling support? Far too loud. Too boisterous for my liking, when will we start bringing our plastic flags to the games? And chanting "there's only one Brendan Rodgers" - I'm pretty sure there's more than one person called 'Brendan Rodgers' on the planet, therefore that chant is incorrect and must be quickly stopped.

Summary? Overall we played well, but it's not to be overshadowed by the fact the game wasn't on Sky Sports and I couldn't hear what Mr Neville had to say. Nothing less than a 5-0 on Saturday will keep me happy.

Not that I'm being negative, just positive critisicm.

;)

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #588: Sep 27, 2012 07:48:25 pm
      I guess it's easy to teach players who haven't really played a lot of premier league football to play how you want and a lot more difficult to teach older players who are set in their ways.

I think all the youngsters were brilliant last night.

I really don't think it's too early to play suso in the league, the boy has something, hes quality.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #589: Sep 27, 2012 09:58:02 pm
      Finally been able to watch the match, thank you LFCTV!

Really enjoyable (especially knowing the result!).  Thought Sahin had a fantastic game, looks ready for a starting place in the league, maybe not this weekend, given his fitness problems.  He looked class though.  Thought Hendo did well, Dani looks like he can give us an option on the left side, he impressed me in the U21's game against chelski, and did well again last night.  I really liked Assaidi, he's has talent

Defensively, all our lads did well, Brad Jones more than made up for his howler with some sharp saves that kept us in the game.  Carra did really well I thought, was on top of their attack for most of the night, played very intelligently.  Coates made several telling tackles, I like what I see in him, getting better and better.  Wisdom was unlucky to be booked and was good throughout.  Robbo had a shaky first 5 minutes but soon recovered and continued to show what a good player he is.

Yesil worked hard and showed good movement, you can see he's learning every game.  He did alright against a big, physical WBA defence.  Made up to see young Jerome come on, what an experience for the lad!  Suso didn't have much time, but he created that second goal.  Classy player!  Downing wasn't cack, but he didn't make anything happen.

My MOTM was Sahin, he looks back to being fit now.  Looking forward to seeing him in the PL side soon.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #590: Sep 27, 2012 10:02:46 pm
      Not sure if it was down to the youngsters, but its been a while since I enjoyed a game that much.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #591: Sep 27, 2012 11:32:39 pm
      Thoroughly enjoyed watching that game the young lads were superb each and every one of them.

Brendan's philosophy seems to be transpiring very well allready.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #592: Sep 27, 2012 11:58:34 pm

You're not related to that famous Red Indian are you?. What's his name again?, mmmmm. Oh yeah, Black Cloud.
      +1 HCS   :laugh:
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #593: Sep 28, 2012 07:35:37 pm
      The passing just before the second goal is absolutely sublime. Love it.

Wouldn't mind a similar goal from the seniors again this weekend.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #594: Sep 29, 2012 01:29:42 pm
      Finally got the chance to watch the game this morning.  After the 15th minute, their was clearly only going to be one team winning the game.  Quite often you see a B-Team put out, you get a B-Team performance, these lads were hungry and looked like they were trying to force their way into the 1st XI.  Going back to my 15 minute point above, if I'd not known the outcome, I'd have been concerned, some sloppy play, especially down our left hand side and West Brom were getting on top of us.

Our back line was steady for the majority of the game, Brad Jones still looks like a number two though.  Wisdom bossed it for the majority of the ninety, both defensively and offensively, he misjudged the bounce on a few occasions, but that's all part of the learning curve.  Robinson started off poorly, sloppy in possession, not working well with Assaidi and then it just clicked.  Carragher had few moments, especially with Lukaku, but Coates was the player that impressed me most, using both feet, getting his head up and looking for a team mate and when necessary, launching it.

Henderson & Sahin look like a good partnership already, compliment each other well and although he was playing more advanced/second striker, Pacheco's movement and tracking back meant we always had an option and I thought he was our best player in the first half and showed a defensive ability I didn't think he had. 

Our wide men, some have said, had chalk & cheese performances.  I actually thought both got into decent positions to get the ball across, the difference for me was Downing made far poorer decisions when he got into those positions. 

Yesil showed some potential and it was nice to see Jerome get on, but not a lot to say about either front man.

All in all, it was a good win, nice to see the heads not go down after we went behind and it's always good to have a from behind victory.  So many positives and the few bits that were concerns are all improvable by simply getting match fitness, some work on the training ground or simply just more experience.  Which team are we 'Rodger-ing' next?

Quick Reply