Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Knighthood for Kenny Dalglish - petition new years honours list

Read 4634 times
      lancashirelad
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      • I'm only satisfied with the best
      Knighthood for Kenny Dalglish - petition new years honours list
      Sep 28, 2012 01:36:09 pm
      Just four weeks ago, in the expectation that the Hillsborough Independent Panel would bring out te truth about the 96, and show the efforts Kenny did back in 1989. I started a world side petition for Kenny to receive a knighthood. In those short weeks we have collected 3,000 signatures from all voe eh world
      This subject has been raised in previous years by Steve Rotheram MP who, on behalf of the families of the 96, tabled an Early Day Motion (EDM), which received the support of 46 MPs. This has not, as far as we know, been taken any further by the parties involved.
       There are only two petitions running today, one in the UK which can only be signed by UK residents only and this one, http://www.change.org/petitions/recognition-for-services-to-liverpool-fc  which is open to supporters worldwide. In the three weeks since I started the petition we have 3,100 signatures at the time of writing. Mainly from LFC web sites, facebook sites and twitter, but I am now hoping that some mainstream media outlets, can put together a constructive argument to Kenny to be knighted or not., but if you could support this it would be beneficial to those who know what Kenny did after the tragedy and since with his wife for charity. His services to football cannot be over looked. I have today e-mailed this story to 140 UK newspapers both large and small
      There is now a dedicated Facebook page for Kenny http://www.facebook.com/king.kenny.33449
      Please sign; I can’t think of anyone I’ve known in my life more deserving of a Knighthood than Kenny.
      http://www.change.org/petitions/recognition-for-services-to-liverpool-fc
      Selected comments from around the world
      From JK in Singapore
      I chose Kenny as my hero when I was 5, he is the reason I support Liverpool. I couldn’t have chosen a better Hero, not just for his amazing football skills, or his ability as a Manager but for being the greatest man ever to WALK ON this earth. Except my Granddad!!! The humility and selflessness of this man is unsurpassed by any man in a sport that is governed by greed, and what he done for the Hillsborough families is unquestionably the most benevolent and caring action I have ever seen in sport. I would love to be half the man Kenny is.
      From PG in Ireland
      I am from the city and lifelong supporter - Dalglish is Liverpool Football club. The work he has done for the club and the Hillsborough families has been nothing short of amazing. He is the King to the city of Liverpool
      From HR in Sweden
      This man is an absolute selfless legend who has tirelessly supported the families and friends of the 96 victims of the Hillsborough tragedy.
      From BW in Australia
      He is one of the greatest people to have ever impacted Liverpool Football Club. Not only for his services for Liverpool Fc, But also because of the work he does, supporting the Hillsbrough families.
      From SS in the UK
      It's about time king Kenny was recognized not just for his service to sport but for all his tireless effort for charities. And who can forget how he helped the families affected by Hillsborough? Knight this king.
      From MF in Brazil
      K.Daglish has been an inspiration to me all my life and I would like to see him get justly recognized for his service to the community.
      From JF in Bosnia
      Dalglish is the reason why I first fell in love with LFC 32 years ago! He is the best of the best & a true legend that deserves to be knighted. He lives & breathes LFC...& so do I. I love Dalglish & long live the King!
      From PD in India
      There is nobody that deserves it more than Kenny, not just because what he has won in his career, he should get it for his charity work and for the unbelievable humanitarian work for the families and deceased of Hillsborough. There is nobody that deserves it more than Kenny, not just because what he has won in his career, he should get it for his charity work and for the unbelievable humanitarian work for the families and deceased of Hillsborough, there are lots of people who get honored by the country for doing a lot less. It’s a disgrace he has not already been knighted
      From Anon in New Jersey USA
      Kenny Dalglish has tirelessly worked and supported on behalf of the Liverpool community, ON AND OFF the field, especially regarding the Hillsborough disaster and he deserves recognition for his work. YNWA, King Kenny!!
      And especially from JY in Bali
      A legend who make Liverpool club a history..I am proud of him even though I am a die hard man utd supporter. Sir Kenny please!
      Knighthood - King Kenny please sign - http://www.change.org/petitions/recognition-for-services-to-liverpool-fc or facebook www.facebook.com/king.kenny.33449 
      Kenny deserves this more than anyone I know, please allow him to be included in this distinguished list
      Athletics
      Roger Bannister 1975 (born 1929)
      Murray Halberg (NZ) 1988 (born 1933)
      Christopher Chataway 1995 (born 1931)
      Mary Peters 2000 (born 1939)
      Kelly Holmes 2005 (born 1970)
      Tanni Grey-Thompson 2005 (born 1969)
      Sebastian Coe 2006 (born 1956) (Note: Coe had already been made a Life Peer in 2000)
      John Walker (NZ) 2009 (born 1952) KNZM
      Peter Snell (NZ) 2009 (born 1938) KNZM

Boxing
      Henry Cooper 2000 (1934–2011)

Cycling
      Chris Hoy 2009 (born 1976)
      Note: Hubert Opperman (1904-1996) was perhaps best known for his cycling achievements, but his 1968 knighthood was in recognition of his service as Australian High Commissioner to Malta.[1]
      Fencing
      Mary Glen-Haig 1993 (born 1918)
      Football
      Trevor Brooking   Jun-2004   
      Matt Busby   Jun-1969   
      Bobby Charlton   Jun-1994   
      Alex Ferguson   Jun-1999   
      Tom Finney   Jan-1998   
      Geoff Hurst   Jun-1998   
      Stanley Matthews   Jan-1965   
      Bert Millichip   1991      
      Bobby Robson   Jun-2002   
      Stanley Rous   1949   
      Walter Winterbottom   1978

Golf
      Henry Cotton 1987 (1907-1987)
      Bob Charles (NZ) 1999 (born 1936) KNZM
      Nick Faldo 2009[2] (born 1957)
      Horse racing
      Gordon Richards 1953 (1904–1986)
      Cecil Boyd-Rochfort 1968 (1887–1983)
      Noel Murless 1977 (1910–1987)
      Peter O'Sullevan 1997 (born 1918)
      Henry Cecil 2011 (born 1943)
      Motor racing
      Henry Segrave 1929 (1896-1930)
      Malcolm Campbell 1931 (1885-1948)
      Jack Brabham 1979 (born 1926)
      Frank Williams 1999 (born 1942)
      Stirling Moss 2000 (born 1929)
      Jackie Stewart 2001 (born 1939)

Mountaineering
      Edmund Hillary (NZ) KBE 1953 (1919-2008) ONZ 1987, KG 1995
      John Hunt 1953 (1910-1988) Life Peer 1966, KG 1979
      Chris Bonington 1996 (born 1934)

Rowing
      Steve Redgrave 2001 (born 1962)
      Matthew Pinsent 2005 (born 1970)

Rugby
      Wilson Whineray (NZ) 1998 (born 1935) KNZM
      Brian Lochore (NZ) 1999 (born 1940) KNZM
      Clive Woodward 2004 (born 1956)
      Colin Meads (NZ) 2009 (born 1936)
      Ian McGeechan 2010 (born 1946)
      Fred Allen (NZ) 2010 (born 1920) KNZM
      John Graham (NZ) 2011 (born 1935) KNZM
      Graham Henry (NZ) 2012 (born 1946) KNZM
      John Kirwan (NZ) 2012 (born 1964) KNZM
      Squash
      Susan Devoy (NZ) 1998 (born 1964) [edit]Tennis
      Norman Brookes 1939 (1877–1968)
      Yachting
      Francis Chichester 1967 (1901–1972)
      Alec Rose 1968 (1908-1991)
      Naomi James (NZ) 1979 (born 1949)
      Robin Knox-Johnston 1995 (born 1939)
      Peter Blake (NZ) 1995 (1948–2001)
      Chay Blyth 1997 (born 1940)
      Ellen MacArthur 2005 (born 1976)
      Russell Coutts 2009 (born 1962) KNZM

« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2012 03:16:06 pm by MsGerrard »
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Re: Knigthood for Kenny Dalglish - petition new years honours list
      Reply #1: Sep 28, 2012 01:54:26 pm
      I think LFC should respect him by giving him a role within the club that allows it to breathe the Liverpool way which Kenny can guide better than most humans ever. I don't care about the British monarch recognising him with this title. No disrespect to the United Kingdom it's just that there is a feeling that they do not care about Liverpool and so I don't want to care about them or the recognition they give.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #2: Sep 28, 2012 02:15:36 pm
      I think LFC should respect him by giving him a role within the club that allows it to breathe the Liverpool way which Kenny can guide better than most humans ever. I don't care about the British monarch recognising him with this title. No disrespect to the United Kingdom it's just that there is a feeling that they do not care about Liverpool and so I don't want to care about them or the recognition they give.

Completely agree!

Recognition needs to come from within the club. Whatever you may think of the British state, personally I find these titles as being a bit fickle. Whilst I support your motion, I just think that it is strange that the public feel that it is an acknowledgement of your work, because the state have said so. I maybe haven't worded this very well but, I support the campaign but I don't think the title has a big enough standing. Still feel the club need to do what the likes of United have done with Bobby Charlton.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #3: Sep 28, 2012 02:17:48 pm
      I don't care about the British monarch recognising him with this title. No disrespect to the United Kingdom it's just that there is a feeling that they do not care about Liverpool and so I don't want to care about them or the recognition they give.

This all day long, anyway he's already been acclaimed as a King by the Kop!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #4: Sep 28, 2012 02:37:53 pm
      King Kenny will do for me.
      I daresay Mr Dalglish holds that title dear coming as it does from the faithful.
      We know the reputation of the great man is not affected one iota by half arsed titles that have been discredited and demeaned by some woefully mistaken recipients.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #5: Sep 28, 2012 02:48:47 pm
      I daresay Mr Dalglish holds that title dear coming as it does from the faithful.
      We know the reputation of the great man is not affected one iota by half arsed titles that have been discredited and demeaned by some woefully mistaken recipients.

Indeed looking at some of the corrupt sh*te hawks who hold the title of Sir before their name, I think King Kenny is better out of it.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #6: Sep 28, 2012 02:53:44 pm

Is right stuey. Kenny doesn't give two shits about some poxy knighthood. I bet the thought has never even entered his mind because he only thinks about others and never himself. As selfless a man as you'll ever meet.

Being a King is as high as you'll get anywhere, it is the ultimate title. Kenny only cares about what his family think of him, we are his family and we love him. He knows that we love him and that will never change.

Respect to lancashirelad for starting the petition and i will sign it of course.

I don't mean this next comment to sound disrespectful but in all honesty i doubt Kenny even wants a knighthood. If you were to ask him who he wanted to have the knighthoods he'd without doubt knight every family member of the 96 brothers and sisters who never came back that day.

Kenny Dalglish will always put others before himself, that's what makes him such a special man and ultimately, The King.

Jesus Christ, every time i think i'm getting over The King something else pops up and brings back those feelings of sadness. Sadness coupled with anger at the way Kenny Dalglish was treated.

Long Live The King.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #7: Sep 28, 2012 03:03:01 pm
      As an outsider, I simply don't understand the concept of knighthood, dames, and royalty. I'm a huge huge huge Beatles fan, but I will never call Paul McCartney "Sir Paul McCartney." He'll always be just Paul McCartney or even just Paul. Doesn't make sense to me that a musician would get knighted while plenty of young men and women serving their country will hardly get recognized.

Besides, being King Kenny to Liverpool supporters will always mean more than being Sir Kenny to the queen.
      lancashirelad
      • Forum Erik Meijer
      • Started Topic

• 30 posts |
      • I'm only satisfied with the best
      Reply #8: Sep 28, 2012 03:11:12 pm
      Is right stuey. Kenny doesn't give two shits about some poxy knighthood. I bet the thought has never even entered his mind because he only thinks about others and never himself. As selfless a man as you'll ever meet.

Being a King is as high as you'll get anywhere, it is the ultimate title. Kenny only cares about what his family think of him, we are his family and we love him. He knows that we love him and that will never change.

Respect to lancashirelad for starting the petition and i will sign it of course.

I don't mean this next comment to sound disrespectful but in all honesty i doubt Kenny even wants a knighthood. If you were to ask him who he wanted to have the knighthoods he'd without doubt knight every family member of the 96 brothers and sisters who never came back that day.

Kenny Dalglish will always put others before himself, that's what makes him such a special man and ultimately, The King.

Jesus Christ, every time i think i'm getting over The King something else pops up and brings back those feelings of sadness. Sadness coupled with anger at the way Kenny Dalglish was treated.

Long Live The King.
      Thanks for your support, I haven't asked Kenny at all, I don't want to this to appear something that we've decided together or allow anyone to draw a thought of collusion, Steve Rotherham is in touch, his EDM of April 2011, could be carried forward again with this.
      Cheers]
      Lancs
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Re: Knighthood for Kenny Dalglish - petition new years honours list
      Reply #9: Sep 28, 2012 06:43:38 pm
      As an outsider, I simply don't understand the concept of knighthood, dames, and royalty.
      It's a prehistoric concept the honours thing, many years ago in the times of serfs and peasants when poverty and destitution were a by word in even the more civilised society's the aristocracy conjured up these titles to provoke a sense of awe and superiority. Commoners were obliged to kiss arse and bow show profound humility and do as they were bid - pay taxes, work till they dropped in the fields and behave them F***ing selves failure to do any of this stuff would land them in deep sh*t.
      Much to the chagrin of the ruling classes these practices have been dispensed with for the most part but they hold on to their F***ing stupid appendages - Lords, Ladies, Dukes blah blah (I'm even using capitals how F***ing brainwashed am I?).
      It's no coincidence that all these titled people are F***ing broosted, proves the point no? 
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,249 posts | 1000 
      Reply #10: Sep 28, 2012 07:00:38 pm
      Indeed looking at some of the corrupt sh*te hawks who hold the title of Sir before their name, I think King Kenny is better out of it.

While I do think King Kenny deserves recognition , I also heartily endorse the quoted post.
      The answer , as has been stated , is that the Club should do something on behalf of all of us to recognise his and Marina's unwavering support of all the families and indeed the whole Anfield family.
      What about Life President , he will then always be associated with the Club that means so much to him and his family.
      Come on NESV , do the right thing.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #11: Sep 28, 2012 07:19:22 pm
      A statue perhaps?
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #12: Sep 29, 2012 02:42:55 pm

Solid gold, is nothing less than he deserves. Or as someone stated above, Life President of LFC, again nothing less than the man deserves for everything he's done both on and off the pitch.
      All Hail King Kenny :)
      TheSturridgeShake
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 61 posts | 20 
      • JFT96 <3
      Reply #13: Sep 29, 2012 08:16:16 pm
      You can't knight a King.  ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952